Author Topic: Gym Etiquette - Was I Wrong Here?  (Read 24134 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Gym Etiquette - Was I Wrong Here?
« on: May 28, 2022, 09:33:15 PM »
So I was doing dumbbell bench press yesterday with 110-lb dumbbells - to get them, I had to pick them off the rack on the other end of the rack from where my bench was. I also had to walk AROUND all the other benches, because someone was doing deficit deadlifts in the area, and another person was doing Bulgarian split squats with his bench very tight to the dumbbell rack, and we have limited gym space.

So after basically doing a Farmer's Walk with the 110-lb dumbbells, I placed them both on the bench, one after another, in the centre of the bench - sort of like in the picture below, but with BOTH 110-lb dumbbells on the bench.

So the guy deadlifting [he's either a welder or an iron worker] came up and pointed to another bench that got damaged - but that had NOTHING to do with simply RESTING the dumbbells on the bench. It was because a 110-lb dumbbell fell from a far height and smashed the end of the bench.

So the bench was NOT damaged from a dumbbell simply RESTING on the end of the bench - the weight FELL on it. And hit a part of the bench that has no support.

Whereas I sometimes rest the dumbbells in the middle, where there IS support.

So the guy insists to me that it's damaging to rest dumbbells on the bench.

Anyway, I have to figure out if I'm wrong here:

Is it bad to rest 220-lb in dumbbells side by side, on a flat bench?

So if a 300-lb man just sat in the middle of a bench to rest, that would damage it?

I'm not seeing it.

Am I in the wrong here?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Gym Etiquette - Was I Wrong Here?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 09:35:59 PM »
Do you know what he did to fix it? He drilled screws into the END of the bench underneath, AFTER where it got cracked from the dumbbell.

HOW WOULD PUTTING SCREWS THERE HELP? LOL!

The 110-lb dumbbell dropped and cracked the bench where the red circle is - the yellow dots represent where he put screws to fix it [somehow].

This is the actual cracked bench, and I believe that is the cracked side - you can barely see it, but it is cracked:

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »
So I was doing dumbbell bench press yesterday with 110-lb dumbbells - to get them, I had to pick them off the rack on the other end of the rack from where my bench was. I also had to walk AROUND all the other benches, because someone was doing deficit deadlifts in the area, and another person was doing Bulgarian split squats with his bench very tight to the dumbbell rack, and we have limited gym space.

So after basically doing a Farmer's Walk with the 110-lb dumbbells, I placed them both on the bench, one after another, in the centre of the bench - sort of like in the picture below, but with BOTH 110-lb dumbbells on the bench.

So the guy deadlifting [he's either a welder or an iron worker] came up and pointed to another bench that got damaged - but that had NOTHING to do with simply RESTING the dumbbells on the bench. It was because a 110-lb dumbbell fell from a far height and smashed the end of the bench.

So the bench was NOT damaged from a dumbbell simply RESTING on the end of the bench - the weight FELL on it. And hit a part of the bench that has no support.

So if a 300-lb man just sat in the middle of a bench to rest, that would damage it?

I'm not seeing it.

Am I in the wrong here?

Did the guy deadlift more than you?

If not, you should've told him to shut up, mind his own business and also called him a tiny tit.

Otherwise you should train harder until you get stronger than him at which point you will seek him, tell him to shut up and mind his own business and also call him a tiny tit.

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 10:10:45 PM »

I'm not seeing it.

Am I in the wrong here?

Why not just roll them to your spot and let them rest on the floor?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 10:24:44 PM »
Did the guy deadlift more than you?

If not, you should've told him to shut up, mind his own business and also called him a tiny tit.

Otherwise you should train harder until you get stronger than him at which point you will seek him, tell him to shut up and mind his own business and also call him a tiny tit.

That's a good question - no, he doesn't, lol.

He's about 5'11" and 260-lb, but if he deadlifts as much as me, I'm not seeing it.

In fact, he was looking over at me when I did my 110-lb dumbbell flat bench set, and I feel like he was impressed by it.

I think he sort of looked at me like: "that manlet can't possibly lift that, can he?" - and then he was surprised when I managed to get eight reps with perfect form.

Hopefully, I'll get back to my previous max with the 120's for 12 - as my gym does not go heavier.

In fact, it may be possible he thought I was unable to lift the dumbbells, and thought I was some gym newbie based on my size. Perhaps now he knows I am a serious trainee.

But what's wrong with testing the dumbbells on the bench before you start your set?  ???

If I'm in the wrong, hey - I won't do it again!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 10:32:57 PM »
Letting the dumbbells sit like that wears the covers and the inner padding over time. It shouldn't hurt the steel frame or a good grade solid or ply-wood backing board to rest them on the middle.

If I had to guess he was more worried about you losing control of them or haphazardly setting them down on certain spots, but  didn't want it to seem like he was singling you out. See if he does it to anyone else. 

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 11:59:52 PM »
Why not just roll them to your spot and let them rest on the floor?

Lol, it's actually funny - someone once commented on EliteFitness that it is a weak thing to do. I also once heard a [fat] woman laugh at someone doing that.

My thought process would be - again, thinking of gym etiquette - maybe because dumbbells aren't supposed to be kicked?

But maybe I'm wrong about that?

Maybe it is inappropriate to put the two dumbbells on the bench?

If I'm wrong here, I'm perfectly willing to say I am wrong. Personally, I DO think the bench can handle 2x 110-lb dumbbells simply resting on the bench itself - it only cracked because a heavy dumbbell fell on it from five feet, and hit the end of the bench that has no support underneath it.

But if I'm wrong - and if most tell me benches aren't decided to have dumbbells sit on them, no problem.

I'll doing it.

I just find it annoying to pick up heavy dumbbells from the ground before my set - that's like doing a deadlift before doing your dumbbell bench press sets!

But hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 02:10:02 AM »
I would have gave him one of patented headbutts as hard as I could just for having the audacity to interrupt my fucking workout.

Matt,here`s a tip......fuck this guy.....dont give him another thought he`s as inconsequential as a mosquito on a dogs ass.

You worry too much.....when you get up around me age you tell people with one of your eye look to fuck off no words even needed.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 02:29:46 AM »
I owned a few gyms over 46 years and built gym equipment as well. You don’t put weights on benches. Not good for upholstery especially those heavy weights. You know the drill….sit down near the end with the dumbbells on your thighs. Kick them up as you get supine. I hated to see those heavy dumbbells dropped on the gym floor. We had additional rubber mats near the benches. Strong men should be able to handle heavy weights.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 02:42:43 AM »
I owned a few gyms over 46 years and built gym equipment as well. You don’t put weights on benches. Not good for upholstery especially those heavy weights. You know the drill….sit down near the end with the dumbbells on your thighs. Kick them up as you get supine. I hated to see those heavy dumbbells dropped on the gym floor. We had additional rubber mats near the benches. Strong men should be able to handle heavy weights.
Of course I was being facetious Vince.....I always respected the rules and the equipment in a gym.....at times even going to great lengths putting tons of heavy dumbells back on the racks left by lazy bastards who had them scattered around so much it was a hazard to even try to walk in the general area of said "DUMBELL DUMP".

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 02:45:12 AM »
That's a good question - no, he doesn't, lol.

He's about 5'11" and 260-lb, but if he deadlifts as much as me, I'm not seeing it.

In fact, he was looking over at me when I did my 110-lb dumbbell flat bench set, and I feel like he was impressed by it.

I think he sort of looked at me like: "that manlet can't possibly lift that, can he?" - and then he was surprised when I managed to get eight reps with perfect form.

Hopefully, I'll get back to my previous max with the 120's for 12 - as my gym does not go heavier.

In fact, it may be possible he thought I was unable to lift the dumbbells, and thought I was some gym newbie based on my size. Perhaps now he knows I am a serious trainee.

But what's wrong with testing the dumbbells on the bench before you start your set?  ???

If I'm in the wrong, hey - I won't do it again!

There is no way in hell you did 8 reps with perfect form. The last time you attempted 110lb dumbells was 10 days ago and you did not get 1 single rep

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdu7ZldAHeq/

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 02:45:53 AM »
I would have gave him one of patented headbutts as hard as I could just for having the audacity to interrupt my fucking workout.

Matt,here`s a tip......fuck this guy.....dont give him another thought he`s as inconsequential as a mosquito on a dogs ass.

You worry too much.....when you get up around me age you tell people with one of your eye look to fuck off no words even needed.

Thanks wes.

You're right - I do worry a lot. I'm very keen on gym etiquette because after the plandemic joke and 6-month "vaccine passport" we had in Canada, I realized that there are very few public places I would say I *need* to go.

And really - the gym is the main one.

Honestly, it's for both my physical AND mental health.

It would sadden me to do something in the gym to make someone else's experience worse, and in a lot of other instances, I would be less concerned about causing trouble, even inadvertently.

I guess ever since gym were closed here for 500+ days [yes, really  ::)], I don't take for granted my gym time.

But absolutely - I worry too much, and go through mental loops in my head thinking of these things. It's basically been paralyzing me from even living my life. Always worried about these situations and scenarios...

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 03:01:38 AM »
This is not a good set you are doing half reps

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CeIzd5rgJbb/

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 03:02:28 AM »

So then it is a gym etiquette thing - but for the preservation of the upholstery of the bench, rather than the structural integrity?

I mean, surely the bench is capable of holding 2x 110-lb dumbbells?  ???

That being said, I can understand the upholstery argument, and that requires no further explanation.

Truth be told, I don't start sitting any dumbbells on the bench until I get to the 110's or higher. My reasoning is: I don't want to exhaust my energy from having to essentially deadlift two dumbbells that heavy, so I find it easier to put them on the bench for a couple of seconds before starting.

This could all be in under one minute - just from first grabbing the dumbbells off the rack, then catching a breather for a limited/short time.

But certainly, I've kept the dumbbells sitting on the bench for up to one minute before. And if it's damaging to the upholstery of the bench, I wouldn't want to do that.

That's not the reason the big juicer in question gave me - however, it makes enough sense to follow it. Just trying to be courteous in Canadian gyms before they shut them all down again.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 03:05:00 AM »
This is not a good set you are doing half reps

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CeIzd5rgJbb/

I'm glad you shared this.

I just posted that on Instagram to share it here with you, lol!

That was my set from two weeks ago.

I used the same weight again - and got eight reps this time with slightly better form.

Not night and day better form, but I don't think anyone would be calling them half reps.

As for the video above - I wouldn't call those half reps either. I mean, they are not perfect reps, but not really half reps either!

Here is my best rep and my worst rep - this is my no means as low as I could have, or should have, gone...but I would call these half reps either. That being said, my form was slightly better this time, and I got eight reps. Do you want to see the video to confirm?

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 03:15:00 AM »
There is no way in hell you did 8 reps with perfect form. The last time you attempted 110lb dumbells was 10 days ago and you did not get 1 single rep

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdu7ZldAHeq/

Those are 120's.

Do you not count the first rep for dumbbell bench press when you do a set? I understand that rep has a bit momentum to get it started, but I can do it paused now.

My best ever is 12 reps with the 120's, but I only have a set of eight on video!

However, I expect to get back to 8-12 reps with decent form, at 175-lb body weight. I used to compete in Strongmanlet contests before they got cancelled because of the plandemic joke.

I feel worse about dropping the dumbbells after this set! I try not to do that...but sometimes I misjudge whether or not I have one more rep left in me.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 03:25:40 AM »
MATT HANKY COULDN`T EVEN LIFT ONE OF THOSE TO HIS ADAMANTIUM KNEE HEIGHT.....HE IS JEALOUS OF ANYONES ACCOMPLISHMENTS.....READ HIS POSTS....HE NEVER GIVES ANYONE ANY CREDIT EVEN IF THEY WERE TO SET A NEW WORLD RECORD.....HE`S A SELF ABSORBED TWAT.

HE KNOWS JACKSHIT ABOUT POWERLIFTING CUZ HE USES THE PINK DUMBELLS.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 03:28:33 AM »
Letting the dumbbells sit like that wears the covers and the inner padding over time. It shouldn't hurt the steel frame or a good grade solid or ply-wood backing board to rest them on the middle.

If I had to guess he was more worried about you losing control of them or haphazardly setting them down on certain spots, but  didn't want it to seem like he was singling you out. See if he does it to anyone else.

This.

The weights ruin the foam shaping on the bench more than anything.

He probably thought you were a noob and wanted to point it out.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 03:33:08 AM »
MATT HANKY COULDN`T EVEN LIFT ONE OF THOSE TO HIS ADAMANTIUM KNEE HEIGHT.....HE IS JEALOUS OF ANYONES ACCOMPLISHMENTS.....READ HIS POSTS....HE NEVER GIVES ANYONE ANY CREDIT EVEN IF THEY WERE TO SET A NEW WORLD RECORD.....HE`S A SELF ABSORBED TWAT.

I was wondering why B. Hank was being so critical!

Credit where credit is due - I try not to bash on anyone's physique here, because what I learned from Sarcasm is that a lot of people who claim to look so good, don't look anything like what they claim to!

So honestly - I respect anyone who posts photos, and I just try to be honest when critiquing someone, and not cruel about it.

And look - I'm not claiming to be the strongest - but within a two months will I doing the 120's for at least eight clean reps? Yes...in fact, I'd bet money on it.

I'm not boasting - I just really feel that's the truth. I also wouldn't call these reps half reps, however - I will concede that they are not full reps either! I've just been so eager to get back to the heavier dumbbells that I got ahead of myself a little!

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 03:35:44 AM »

Go watch his video he does not break 90 degrees with his arms he literally dips the dumbells on one side not one decent rep

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2022, 03:37:11 AM »
I'm glad you shared this.

I just posted that on Instagram to share it here with you, lol!

That was my set from two weeks ago.

I used the same weight again - and got eight reps this time with slightly better form.

Not night and day better form, but I don't think anyone would be calling them half reps.

As for the video above - I wouldn't call those half reps either. I mean, they are not perfect reps, but not really half reps either!

Here is my best rep and my worst rep - this is my no means as low as I could have, or should have, gone...but I would call these half reps either. That being said, my form was slightly better this time, and I got eight reps. Do you want to see the video to confirm?

Those are half reps your arms never break 90 degrees you literally dip the dumbell on one side to touch the chest complete garbage not one single decent rep entire set calling that 8 reps of perfect form bullshit that is all garbage bring the weights all the way down you are ego lifting not training

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2022, 03:39:50 AM »

This.

The weights ruin the foam shaping on the bench more than anything.

He probably thought you were a noob and wanted to point it out.

Got it.

Thanks for responding. I can tell you that since training in an actual gym again, I've been night-and-day better, and I don't want to mess it up. So I take gym etiquette seriously.

It's funny - I could see in my peripheral that he was watching me do my set, and I think he probably had no idea what I was doing with the 110's, and thought I was going to use them irresponsibly. I think when he saw me actually do them properly, he may have changed his mind.

Admittedly, some newbies and others at the gym are irresponsible. I just sort of pride myself in being mindful of basic courtesy matters while training.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2022, 03:41:09 AM »
Got it.

Thanks for responding. I can tell you that since training in an actual gym again, I've been night-and-day better, and I don't want to mess it up. So I take gym etiquette seriously.

It's funny - I could see in my peripheral that he was watching me do my set, and I think he probably had no idea what I was doing with the 110's, and thought I was going to use them irresponsibly. I think when he saw me actually do them properly, he may have changed his mind.

Admittedly, some newbies and others at the gym are irresponsible. I just sort of pride myself in being mindful of basic courtesy matters while training.

Proper you look like an injury waiting to happen pick up the 80s next time and go slow and controlled and bring them all the way down to your chest you should be able to rest the weight on your damn chest between reps

There is no way you are getting a pump in your chest from that there is no mind muscle connection there

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2022, 03:45:38 AM »
Those are half reps your arms never break 90 degrees you literally dip the dumbell on one side to touch the chest complete garbage not one single decent rep entire set calling that 8 reps of perfect form bullshit that is all garbage bring the weights all the way down you are ego lifting not training

I can't remember how many reps that was. I think 4-5 with not horrible form. Not half reps - but not full reps.

Two days ago, I did eight with form that was better than that. Each rep was as good as my first rep in the video above.

STILL not "perfect" form...but definitely ok form.

I will be doing the 110's for 12 reps with perfect form within one month, and the 120's for 12 reps with perfect form within two months.

Why don't you believe I can press that weight with good form?

My shoulders are my strong point. Ultimately, I'm strong at presses, and I'm looking to break the record in my country for Circus Dumbbell for the u-80kg / 176.3-lb weight class!!

Here is a video of me doing seated dumbbell presses with the 100-lb dumbbells:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdzEcekASYH/

^ B. Hank, what do you make of my form there?

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2022, 03:50:24 AM »
I can't remember how many reps that was. I think 4-5 with not horrible form. Not half reps - but not full reps.

Two days ago, I did eight with form that was better than that. Each rep was as good as my first rep in the video above.

STILL not "perfect" form...but definitely ok form.

I will be doing the 110's for 12 reps with perfect form within one month, and the 120's for 12 reps with perfect form within two months.

Why don't you believe I can press that weight with good form?

My shoulders are my strong point. Ultimately, I'm strong at presses, and I'm looking to break the record in my country for Circus Dumbbell for the u-80kg / 176.3-lb weight class!!

Here is a video of me doing seated dumbbell presses with the 100-lb dumbbells:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdzEcekASYH/

^ B. Hank, what do you make of my form there?

Do you not see how your wrist is moving and the barbells are shifting? I am not denying you are strong I am saying you need to use less weight and better form you will get better results. The dumbells should be horizontal the entire time not shifting constantly dipping inward then outward as your wrist keeps shifting. Also just fyi I bring the dumbells all the way down to my shoulders again I can rest the dumbells on my shoulders between reps. You are using more weight than I use but I do sets of 20 and slow and controlled all the way to my shoulder elbows break 90 and then some same thing with bench your elbows do not break 90 and the dumbells are dancing not controlled. You don't need to use more weight you need to work on form

Every rep should not be a max effort