Author Topic: Gym Etiquette - Was I Wrong Here?  (Read 24234 times)

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
Re: Gym Etiquette - Was I Wrong Here?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2022, 03:50:55 AM »
To me, there are only 3 rules in the gym. Putting away your weights after you’re done with them, don’t take up both sides of the cable machine if it’s busy and don’t stand between someone and the mirror when they’re in the middle of a set. Everything else is fair game including sniffing and licking a cardio bunny’s bike seat after she’s done.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2022, 03:57:09 AM »
Proper you look like an injury waiting to happen pick up the 80s next time and go slow and controlled and bring them all the way down to your chest you should be able to rest the weight on your damn chest between reps

There is no way you are getting a pump in your chest from that there is no mind muscle connection there

I don't compete in bodybuilding, because no one gains muscle while natural.

I hate to say it, but taking bodybuilding seriously, to any level of competition at all, really, is all drugs. And eating. I'm not judging bodybuilders - it's just that I made a health decision years ago to not go on steroids and stay on them forever.

I also don't want to take three shits a day because I'm eating 5-10 meals a day, because I think that is damaging to a person's organ integrity.

I have never been injured before, and I think the reason is because I don't use PED's. An oral-only cycle three times a decade doesn't count.

I don't want to be eating and shitting all day, so I compete in lightweight strongman competition. While you really can't go anywhere as a natural in bodybuilding, you can be at least successful at the local level while natural in strongman [MAYBE the provincial or state level].

In my weight class, some of the guys claim to be natural. I mean, these guys are like 5'7" to 5'11", and 175-180, lol. I could believe they are natural. Hard to say though.

I just didn't want to get in the pattern of relying on roids while having an empty ball sack and other side effects from juice.

I have never been injured - possibly because when you train naturally, your ligaments and tendons strengthen in proportion to your muscles. I think being natural prevents injuries.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2022, 03:59:56 AM »
Nah, I do that all the time.

I'll deadlift up to about 65kg dbs and then in my opinion, it's fair game that I use the bench method.

It gets pretty desperate after that.  Like a ticking timebomb as to whether I'm going to successfully get them situated on the quads before I can sit down. :-)

The 120 set was a bit shakey but anybody who has done solid reps as you have will know that that it means nothing, I phrase what you're doing there as "touching the weight".  Just letting your body know it needs to adapt back to handling it. 

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2022, 04:02:10 AM »
To me, there are only 3 rules in the gym. Putting away your weights after you’re done with them, don’t take up both sides of the cable machine if it’s busy and don’t stand between someone and the mirror when they’re in the middle of a set. Everything else is fair game including sniffing and licking a cardio bunny’s bike seat after she’s done.

I was just being mindful of that rule yesterday:

A very young woman - maybe even a teenager girl under 18 - was using the pec deck which you can see where the right dumbbell is in the screenshot of the completed rep.

I made it a point to stand to the side a little, so she could see the mirror. And she's way over there - far back from the mirror. So yes - I do like your rules, and try to follow them.

I can mainly follow them by coming to the gym when it's slow!

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2022, 04:15:29 AM »
Every rep should not be a max effort

Shut the fuck up.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2022, 04:16:07 AM »
there is no mind muscle connection there

Shut the fuck up

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2022, 04:18:09 AM »
Nah, I do that all the time.

I'll deadlift up to about 65kg dbs and then in my opinion, it's fair game that I use the bench method.

It gets pretty desperate after that.  Like a ticking timebomb as to whether I'm going to successfully get them situated on the quads before I can sit down. :-)

You have done up to the 65kg dumbbells, rocket? If so that is incredible! To be honest - I've actually never seen anyone personally use the 65kg dumbbells.

Indeed - all but TWO gyms in my city go beyond the 120-lb dumbbells [54.4kg]. One mainstream commercial gym goes to the 140's [which is 63.5kg], and one socialized strength gym goes to the 200-lb'ers [90.7kg dumbbells].

My max personally are the 140-lb dummbells for eight reps.

The 120 set was a bit shakey but anybody who has done solid reps as you have will know that that it means nothing, I phrase what you're doing there as "touching the weight".  Just letting your body know it needs to adapt back to handling it.

Yes!!!

Exactly - I just wanted to touch the weight to sort of retrain my central nervous system to know what that weight feels like again.

By doing that, I will be that much more likely to do them for reps successfully next time.

To be fair, I knew I wasn't at the level of doing the 120's for reps yet - but I did think I might be able to get 1-3. But ultimately, I'm just glad I felt them in my hands, so I can get them next time I try them.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses that method for heavy dumbbell presses, lol. I think it kind of makes sense, given how unstable it can be to pick up heavier dumbbells. I remember Markus Ruhl doing the 200's in a photo, and thinking about how unstable it would be to just move around with them...

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2022, 04:25:31 AM »
I would always put 80-120s in middle of benches when I was doing shrugs, curls etc… and no it’s not damaging the bench, over time it will damage the pad but it will take a while so next time tell the guy to get fucked.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 04:26:28 AM »
I don't compete in bodybuilding, because no one gains muscle while natural.

I hate to say it, but taking bodybuilding seriously, to any level of competition at all, really, is all drugs. And eating. I'm not judging bodybuilders - it's just that I made a health decision years ago to not go on steroids and stay on them forever.

I also don't want to take three shits a day because I'm eating 5-10 meals a day, because I think that is damaging to a person's organ integrity.

I have never been injured before, and I think the reason is because I don't use PED's. An oral-only cycle three times a decade doesn't count.

I don't want to be eating and shitting all day, so I compete in lightweight strongman competition. While you really can't go anywhere as a natural in bodybuilding, you can be at least successful at the local level while natural in strongman [MAYBE the provincial or state level].

In my weight class, some of the guys claim to be natural. I mean, these guys are like 5'7" to 5'11", and 175-180, lol. I could believe they are natural. Hard to say though.

I just didn't want to get in the pattern of relying on roids while having an empty ball sack and other side effects from juice.

I have never been injured - possibly because when you train naturally, your ligaments and tendons strengthen in proportion to your muscles. I think being natural prevents injuries.

Keep training like that into your 40s then you will destory your shoulders have fun it has nothing to do with bodybuilding or steroids you are simply using horrible form becasue the weight is too heavy

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2022, 04:26:39 AM »
Shut the fuck up.

LOL!!!!!

Like I said - natural BODYBUILDING sucks.

Steroids aside - EATING matters way more to bodybuilding than training. To think we all spent years thinking it's about hard work in the gym. Bodybuilding is legitimately more about EATING than training.

So where did that leave a person like me, who wanted to train hard, but not massively go up in body weight, and not eat excessive calories?

Strength training. That makes sense. That way I can enjoy my training and still make progress without having to eat so much, and not rely on PED's.

Plus in my case, I have a bad structure for muscle building - aside from a couple of areas. Shoulders, for example.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2022, 04:29:00 AM »
You have done up to the 65kg dumbbells, rocket? If so that is incredible! To be honest - I've actually never seen anyone personally use the 65kg dumbbells.

Indeed - all but TWO gyms in my city go beyond the 120-lb dumbbells. One mainstream commercial gym goes to the 140's, and one socialized strength gym goes to the 200's.

My max personally are the 140-lb dummbells [which is around 63kg], for eight reps.

Yes!!!

Exactly - I just wanted to touch the weight to sort of retrain my central nervous system to know what that weight feels like again.

By doing that, I will be that much more likely to do them for reps successfully next time.

To be fair, I knew I wasn't at the level of doing the 120's for reps yet - but I did think I might be able to get 1-3. But ultimately, I'm just glad I felt them in my hands, so I can get them next time I try them.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses that method for heavy dumbbell presses, lol. I think it kind of makes sense, given how unstable it can be to pick up heavier dumbbells. I remember Markus Ruhl doing the 200's in a photo, and thinking about how unstable it would be to just move around with them...

I've done up to 75kg dbs and wouldn't have a problem doing a probably ugly as fuck single on them right now.  Except the bit where you get those c unts onto your legs.  Oh how unwieldy they are.

Quite ironically, I'm actually rather shit at db shoulder press.  I don't know what I'd be able to do, but it would be mediocre.

Don't be so polite to bhanks.  Bodybuilders are free to do their bitch weights and pretend like they are all about the "mind muscle connection" instead of admitting that they just don't have the heart to handle heavy weights (because lets face it, most of them probably could if they had the heart), but let's draw the line when one of these bitches is giving you advices, just as we would if you attempted to inform him about his own quest for pageantry success.

I mean really, what the fuck is someone talking about when they say "mind muscle connection" when you're sitting under maximal weights.  If your mind isn't very earnestly connected to what is happening, you're going to get squashed ::) 

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2022, 04:30:57 AM »
Keep training like that into your 40s then you will destory your shoulders have fun

And when is that going to happen? Does it just come out of the blue, or will it start with little nagging aches and pains/strains?

I'll be honest, B. Hank - since turning 40, I HAVE changed my training a bit.

I do more extensive warmup sets now.

I still DO have my crazy sets, but...not as often as before.

I am working on 3-rep maxes, rather than singles. But are you saying that 110-lb set was risky? I didn't really feel that way.

That 120-lb set was a bit riskier - and I felt that way. I wasn't worried about the 110's though.

I'll be getting the 110's for 10 by next week. I generally don't worry about dumbbells until at least the 110's. Anything up to 105's, I can do for 15+ reps usually.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2022, 04:31:40 AM »
LOL!!!!!

Like I said - natural BODYBUILDING sucks.

Steroids aside - EATING matters way more to bodybuilding than training. To think we all spent years thinking it's about hard work in the gym. Bodybuilding is legitimately more about EATING than training.

So where did that leave a person like me, who wanted to train hard, but not massively go up in body weight, and not eat excessive calories?

Strength training. That makes sense. That way I can enjoy my training and still make progress without having to eat so much, and not rely on PED's.

Plus in my case, I have a bad structure for muscle building - aside from a couple of areas. Shoulders, for example.

You are not building muscle because your form sucks and you are ego lifting not becasue you dont take PEDs

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2022, 04:34:26 AM »
I used 3-pounders this AM.

Beast-mode...

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2022, 04:36:03 AM »
I used 3-pounders this AM.

Beast-mode...

We literally use the same damn weights for upper body also you are getting the same reps with 225 squatting as I get yes you go up in weight, but the reps also come down at 225 you are reporting the same reps as me

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2022, 04:44:00 AM »
I've done up to 75kg dbs and wouldn't have a problem doing a probably ugly as fuck single on them right now.  Except the bit where you get those c unts onto your legs.  Oh how unwieldy they are.

Quite ironically, I'm actually rather shit at db shoulder press.  I don't know what I'd be able to do, but it would be mediocre.

Don't be so polite to bhanks.  Bodybuilders are free to do their bitch weights and pretend like they are all about the "mind muscle connection" instead of admitting that they just don't have the heart to handle heavy weights (because lets face it, most of them probably could if they had the heart), but let's draw the line when one of these bitches is giving you advices, just as we would if you attempted to inform him about his own quest for pageantry success.

I mean really, what the fuck is someone talking about when they say "mind muscle connection" when you're sitting under maximal weights.  If your mind isn't very earnestly connected to what is happening, you're going to get squashed ::)

LMAO!! HAHAHA.

That's great, rocket.  :)

You know - I'd do the whole lighter weight with perfect form and five second controlled reps or whatever, but...how much muscle am I going to gain without gear?

Frank Zane was my height and was around 185-lb at his best look, and was on a ton of stuff if I had to guess.

What could I even be as a natural bodybuilder? 165-lb? If I cut now, I'd probably be 145-lb. Even then, I cut to 157 once, and felt I was just losing muscle. And now that I know I have hypothyroidism, I may not even have the genetics to ever get lean.

Hence why I train for a physique for day to day life + to be as strong as I can *for my size*.

As for you being able to do 75kg dumbbells - that's amazing.

There is only ONE gym in town that has dummbells that heavy!

In fact, only two gyms here go beyond 120-lb dummbells, and only one of those two go beyond the 140's.

My chest sucks pretty bad...maybe I can grab the 30kg dumbbells, and do slow controlled reps using the mind muscle connection, and the "Weider Blood Volume Training Principle", etc.

I doubt my chest will respond though. As I said, my genetics for bodybuilding pageantry suck...that's why I train for strength, generally speaking.

I'm on a "natural powerbuilding" routine...I guess.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2022, 04:46:10 AM »
LMAO!! HAHAHA.

You know - I'd do the whole lighter weight with perfect form and five second controlled reps or whatever, but...how much muscle am I going to gain without gear?

Frank Zane was my height and was around 185-lb at his best look, and was on a ton of stuff if I had to guess.

What could I even be as a natural bodybuilder? 165-lb? If I cut now, I'd probably be 145-lb. Even then, I cut to 157 once, and felt I was just losing muscle. And now that I know I have hypothyroidism, I may not even have the genetics to ever get lean.

Hence why I train for a physique for day to day life + to be as strong as I can *for my size*.

In fact, only two gyms here go beyond 120-lb dummbells, and only one of those two go beyond the 140's.

My chest sucks pretty bad...maybe I can grab the 30kg dumbbells, and do slow controlled reps using the mind muscle connection, and the "Weider Blood Volume Training Principle", etc.

I doubt my chest will respond though. As I said, my genetics for bodybuilding pageantry suck...that's why I train for strength, generally speaking.

Fine fucking pretend you are doing full reps with proper form until you blow out your shoulder have fun and these dumb morons are cheering you on to injury

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2022, 04:48:15 AM »
You are not building muscle because your form sucks and you are ego lifting not becasue you dont take PEDs

Wouldn't you say bodybuilding is more about nutrition?

I mean, if bodybuilders basically went to the body twice a week and did full body workouts both times, the scientific literature seems pretty clear to me that they will make gains, providing they are eating enough and taking PED's.

If I wanted to gain muscle, wouldn't increasing my protein make more sense?

We talk about bodybuilding like it's all about training, and IMO, that is bull.  IMO, bodybuilding = nutrition. PEDs are about equally important as nutrition, but training is definitely last place between those three.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2022, 04:51:19 AM »
Fine fucking pretend you are doing full reps with proper form until you blow out your shoulder have fun and these dumb morons are cheering you on to injury

Do you mean my set with 110's for 4-5 reps?

I don't think they were full reps, but my set two days ago were closer to full reps.

But I would not call my reps in that video half reps either. It would be fair to call them 3/4 reps, IMO. But my form was better than that on my latest attempt.

I just wanted to touch the weights, as rocket said, so my body gets used to them.

I'll be doing the 120's for 8-12 reps with perfect form in two months.

At 170-lb body weight.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2022, 04:53:49 AM »
Wouldn't you say bodybuilding is more about nutrition?

I mean, if bodybuilders basically went to the body twice a week and did full body workouts both times, the scientific literature seems pretty clear to me that they will make gains, providing they are eating enough and taking PED's.

If I wanted to gain muscle, wouldn't increasing my protein make more sense?

We talk about bodybuilding like it's all about training, and IMO, that is bull.  IMO, bodybuilding = nutrition. PEDs are about equally important as nutrition, but training is definitely last place between those three.

Its 100 percent training, 100 percent nutrition and 100 percent rest and recovery

Again the scientific literature is not the same as the real world. None of this changes the fact your form
sucks and you are doing half reps with too heavy of a weight. Stop who lifting and start training

You will not be doing 120 woth perfect form as you dont have perfext form you are using the form that allows you to use as much weight as possible partial reps. I did the same thing in college a couple shoulder surgeries later I learned my lesson and I now use proper form. You should have fogured it oit by 40 your wrost should not be bending all over the place during a rep the barbells should go up and down to your body wonows should break 90 and dumbells should stay horizontal wrist should stay straight  nothing to do with pwerlifting vs bodybuilding proper form is proper form and you dont have it

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2022, 04:54:04 AM »
LMAO!! HAHAHA.

Yeah I think I have a fairly large chest so I'm probably naturally strong around that area. 

To be fair, I started lifting weight with a lot of tnation workouts that did emphasise 3 second lowering portions and I think it has had a lot to do with my level of control.  I did that for quite a few years whilst I attempted to be a bodybuilder.  Before I discovered that no, that's just a joke and I will never be one.

I would love to do steroids - I just can't find any evidence that there is any way for me to do them without them creating some level of a problem for me.

Which is a shame, because obviously if we can be this strong without gear - what fun we would have with gear.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2022, 04:54:22 AM »
Go watch his video he does not break 90 degrees with his arms he literally dips the dumbells on one side not one decent rep
You could though right?

I used to clean the one hundred pounders from the floor while simultaneously falling back hoping to land correctly on a thirty degree incline bench and then I`d pump out 5 full range of motion reps all weighing far less than the combined weight of the dumbells themselves.... one sixty to be exact.....beside the pressing part which you would fail at, I would die laughing watching you attempt to clean them from the floor and if you landed crooked on the bench you were fucked.....never got the hang of that knee kick dumbell thingy.....kinda` gay actually.

Matt may be Canadian.....{not your fault Matt}.....LOL j/k/.....but he` a strong guy far stronger than you......AND he weighs less the two bills....how you have the balls to critique his lifts is astounding you jealous kunt.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2022, 04:56:54 AM »
you remind me of African children walking 10 miles a day for water

Fucks sake move nearer the water

Move the bench nearer to the dumbbells

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2022, 04:57:24 AM »

I see people doing this all the time and I agree.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2022, 05:03:42 AM »
We literally use the same damn weights for upper body also you are getting the same reps with 225 squatting as I get yes you go up in weight, but the reps also come down at 225 you are reporting the same reps as me
HEY DICKLESS,YOU ARE THE BIGGEST ASSHOLE THAT EVER WAS ON THIS BOARD ....YOU ARE LITERALLY BETTER THAN EVERYONE HERE YET YOU LOOK LIKE SHIT AND CANT SQUAT FOUR -OH - FIVE.....YOU TWAT.