Author Topic: Cardio Duration  (Read 10226 times)

Arnold Palmer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • LET ME OUT OF TIME OUT NEED ADVICE GETTING GYNO!!!
Cardio Duration
« on: May 01, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »
Approx how long into cardio does it take to use up your bodys glycogen reserves, and then start mobilizing fat for energy?  I know there are many varriables, but I am talking about jogging at a normal pace or jump roping.  I know there is not exact number for everyone, but any ballpark number of minutes?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: Cardio Duration
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:17:25 AM »
more than 10 min less then 3 hours but then again i play in a large ballpark. :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:53:21 AM »
Cardio is the enemy!!!!
L

4thAD

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 04:45:34 PM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:33:01 AM »
Approx how long into cardio does it take to use up your bodys glycogen reserves, and then start mobilizing fat for energy?  I know there are many varriables, but I am talking about jogging at a normal pace or jump roping.  I know there is not exact number for everyone, but any ballpark number of minutes?

You shouldn't do cardio to burn fat.  You should do short, high intensity cardio to speed up your metabolism.  A high metabolism will burn fat all day and all night long.  Long duration, low intensity cardio is not so good for bodybuilders.  It burns some fat during and shortly after your cardio session, but it does nothing for your metabolism.  Look a long distance runners, very skinny and not very muscular.  Now look at sprinters.  The Max-OT cardio, which somebody else already posted, is a great approach. 

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 03:03:33 PM »
4thAD and LOCO, help me out with this: I want to try this interval high intensity cardio for a couple months and see what happens. As that article suggests, I will use the stationary bike. My question is, should i set the level to max (heaviest pedal load) or minimum (maximum pedal speed)?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:27:15 PM »
i do 40 mins.... flex wheeler does 2hr/day
did...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 07:04:15 AM »
My question is, should i set the level to max (heaviest pedal load) or minimum (maximum pedal
Varies by bike but the setting should be within a range somewhere between those extremes. Sufficient resistance that real work and sweat is accrued, but not so much that a reasonable speed can't be maintained. Take a look at a Spinning class or video to see this.

i do 40 mins.... flex wheeler does 2hr/day

did...
No idea what the point is.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 12:39:51 PM »

No idea what the point is.

You have no idea what grammar is either.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 12:51:27 PM »
Dolt, truly.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 02:52:36 PM »

4thAD

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 09:16:48 PM »
This is from the max OT web site on Max OT cardio!

Why 16 minutes?

There are several reasons for the 16-minute Max-OT Cardio duration. All of which lead to greater cardio intensity and greater increases in metabolic rate.

16 minutes is an optimal time span that will allow you to put forth maximum intensity without pacing yourself. It’s important that you do not pace yourself during Max-OT Cardio. Pacing acts to preserve energy instead of expending maximum energy. Durations longer than 16 minutes encourage pacing one's cardio effort.

Mentally, 16 minutes of cardio is far more conducive to putting forth maximum intensity than cardio of longer duration. The “mental” side of Max-OT Cardio, and all training for that matter, is an area of great importance yet rarely explained.

Finally, 16-minutes of maximum intensity cardio will maximize your metabolic rate without tapping into lean muscle tissue for energy.

Putting Max-OT Cardio to Work For You

Now it’s time to rev up your metabolism and spend less time doing it. Less time plus more effort will equal greater results. Greater results in less time – as Ted Nugent would say, “Ya gotta like that!” Below is an outline of Max-OT Cardio high points.

Max-OT Cardio is performed for 16 minutes.

Max-OT Cardio is performed on a Recumbent Bike, Stair Climber, or any device that will allow for maximum intensity to be exerted safely and without the need for excessive balance or skill. If you can’t perform your cardio with maximum intensity without the possibility of falling off, tripping, etc. then it’s the wrong type of exercise for Max-OT Cardio.

Max-OT Cardio is performed with an “Interval” setting. This allows for intermittent resistance levels during the 16-minute sessions resulting in greater overall energy output.

Each Max-OT Cardio workout is more intense than the one before. Two ways to increase the intensity on a Recumbent Bike are to increase the resistance and/or increase the pedal RPM. Technically this is measured in wattage output. Intesity is measured by distance traveled and calories burned.

Intensity! Max-OT Cardio is always performed using maximum intensity and effort.

Getting Your Feet Wet

If you are like me, you like to dive into new adventures headfirst. However, Max-OT Cardio is a different animal. You must acclimate to the intensity levels involved. This is necessary both mentally and physically. This adaptation to Max-OT Cardio will ensure you get the maximum benefit from this new and incredibly effective cardio training.

Your first Max-OT Cardio session should be performed at an intensity level only 5 to 10 percent greater than your normal long duration (and now obsolete) cardio intensity. The results from this intro Max-OT Cardio workout will form the basis for your next Max-OT Cardio workout. The distance you record from your first Max-OT Cardio session will be the distance to exceed during your next Max-OT Cardio workout. Your third Max-OT Cardio workout should be more intense than your second and so on.

Within about 2 to 3 weeks of this intensity progression, you’ll be experiencing the full effects of Max-OT Cardio. Each session leads into and builds upon the next. This progressive intensity increase will amplify your metabolic rate and fat burning response far in excess of conventional cardio training.

Understanding Cardio’s Effect on Fat Metabolism

Energy expenditure during cardio is very misunderstood. What is even more misunderstood is energy expenditure after cardio as a result of the cardio. When doing cardio, the primary energy source your body uses is glycogen. Your body uses very little, if any, fat stores for energy during cardio. Even if you haven't eaten food for several hours your body still uses glycogen as its primary energy source. You must let go of the wrong assumption that you are actually burning fat while you are doing cardio. You are not!

The benefit you get from cardio, from a fat burning standpoint (there are many other health benefits), is its effect on your resting metabolic rate. Your resting metabolic rate is the amount of energy your body expends when you are not exerting yourself, at rest. Cardio training, and especially Max-OT Cardio, has a dramatic elevating effect on your body's resting metabolic rate.

When you increase your resting metabolic rate, you increase your body's overall fat burning capabilities - you make your body much more efficient at burning body fat. Max-OT Cardio will make your body a 24-hour a day fat burning furnace. The problem with conventional, long duration, low intensity cardio is that it has minimum impact on increasing your resting metabolic rate. However, long duration, low intensity cardio will deplete glycogen stores. When this happens, you will start primarily utilizing lean muscle for your energy needs. Long duration cardio will break down muscle tissue.

A good real-world example of the difference in effect of Max-OT Cardio and long duration cardio has on athlete’s physiques is to look at sprinters and long distance runners. Sprinters are very lean and extremely muscular. Long distance runners are lanky, frail, with little muscle yet possess higher body fat levels than the sprinters.

Sprinters train in a manner that is very similar to the Max-OT Cardio principles – short burst of maximum intensity - whereas long distance runners train more inline with the conventional cardio approach - low intensity for longer periods of time. What type of physique would you rather have?

Cocked and Loaded

You are ready. You have the foundation of Max-OT Cardio. You are armed with the most explosive metabolic enhancing cardio program in the world. Now it’s up to you to implement Max-OT Cardio program and reap the incredible metabolic rewards.

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 12:14:09 PM »

Depends on how many weeks out from a contest, offseason I do 20 min 5 days a week.  Now I'm 5 weeks out I'm up to 2 60 mins (7 days a week) of cardio keeping my heart range in the 65% to 70% range.  I do mix in some high int. 80-85% once in a while but have found by doing lots of long slow steady I can keep my cals up and still make my goal losses of 2 to 2 1/2 pounds per week and still hold my mass.

A lot depends on your body type.  I put on fat real easy so I need to bust my ass to get it off and I'm also an old fart (42) so I need to wake this old tried body up,

Good luck

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 02:04:48 PM »
16 minutes high intensity!

http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=97

Have you tried this?  How often are you supposed to do this?  Is it once a day, every day, or more than once?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 04:35:57 PM »
I've tried it, twice a week.  It works, but it hurts too.

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 05:40:36 PM »

Great post.

Thanks!  I have a copy of the contest prep bible and found that most pro suggest the long-slow approach.  I know a lot has been written about high int-short duration cardio but I'm old school.  I know it works for my body type.  Only to be Dexter Jackson because what I do for cardio in a week is what he does in 6 months lucky bastered LOL!

4thAD

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 06:42:31 PM »
Weighed myself and have lost 6lbs in the last two weeks with the MAX OT cardio. It should be done with every work out. 5X per week! Or more if you need it. Max OT cardio will turn your body into a fat burning machine even while not on the bike. I have also been doing an ECA stack with very good results!

Pittdawg68

• Getbig I
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »

I asked the trainer at the gym I used to lift at one time and he said after about 22 or 23 minutes of moderate intensity the body taps into its fat stores. So I try to do at least 40 minutes or so after lifting because if you only do something for half an hour you've only tapped into your reserves for about 8 minutes.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 06:08:56 AM »
I asked the trainer at the gym I used to lift at one time and he said after about 22 or 23 minutes of moderate intensity the body taps into its fat stores. So I try to do at least 40 minutes or so after lifting because if you only do something for half an hour you've only tapped into your reserves for about 8 minutes.

Whether this is true or not, you will burn some fat after 22 to 23 minutes.  You will also continue to burn fat shortly after your workout, but that's it.  Your 40 minute cardio helped you burn some fat but did nothing for your metabolism.  15 minute intense cardio, border line sprinting, may not even burn any fat at all during the 15 minutes, but burn glucose and glycogen instead.  But it will speed up your metabolism tremendously and you'll start burning fat after your workout and continue to burn fat through the day and through the night.  It will continue to burn fat for days and then your metabolism will start going back to normal.  That's when you hit the 15 minute intense cardio again to set the wheel in motion again.  Doing this twice a week is enough for me to lose fat and keep it off.  The rest of the week I lift weights.  I wouldn't mix cardio and weight training on the same day, unless you do one in the morning and the other one in the evening.  They will conflict and interrupt your muscle recovery.

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »
Whether this is true or not, you will burn some fat after 22 to 23 minutes.  You will also continue to burn fat shortly after your workout, but that's it.  Your 40 minute cardio helped you burn some fat but did nothing for your metabolism.  15 minute intense cardio, border line sprinting, may not even burn any fat at all during the 15 minutes, but burn glucose and glycogen instead.  But it will speed up your metabolism tremendously and you'll start burning fat after your workout and continue to burn fat through the day and through the night.  It will continue to burn fat for days and then your metabolism will start going back to normal.  That's when you hit the 15 minute intense cardio again to set the wheel in motion again.  Doing this twice a week is enough for me to lose fat and keep it off.  The rest of the week I lift weights.  I wouldn't mix cardio and weight training on the same day, unless you do one in the morning and the other one in the evening.  They will conflict and interrupt your muscle recovery.

Metabolism is much more complex than what you said above.  I wish it was that simple but it isn't. Once you used your atp energy and glycogen your body either uses fat or protein as energy.  Sorry but 15 mins. after your done lifting for and hour or so and done 45 - 60 min of cardio your metabolism returns to "normal",  sorry but the body needs to refuel and and actually digest food.  Depending on what type of carbs you refuel with etc.  and amount of cals.

Metabolism is a long term process that the body goes thou to meet the body's needs to function.  A simple 15 min wind sprint or high int. cardio a few times a week over a 2 week period will have little long term effects. 

There is no quick and easy way to change one's body.  Only thou long term training and hard work.  Most people who have large weight losses are losing more mass than fat.  To really build a good cut body with mass, is slow and steady (once you get over your first 2 weeks) your goal should be 1 1/2 to 2 pounds max.  If you are losing more than that your are losing mass simple!

I guess my point here that there are so many factors involved 1) diet, 2) fat burners (which I perfer taken a min amount) and working my ass off, 3) rest between sets, 4) how hard you lift and what exercises your doing (deadlifts require more energy than bi-curls), 5) if you taking hgh or slim, 6) dosage and type of roids 7) age, 8) sex
9) duration of cardio and type,  10) body type and 11) time trainning.

Noticed #1 was diet, diet in bodybuilding is at least 85%.  Drugs are a short cut that usually results in loss of mass.  T3 when taken in large dosages is an awesome mass burner, more isn't better.  I perfer to keep my carbs high and cardio my fat off.  carbs are the fuel were the fat is burned.

If you want to see if your burning off mass buy a ketone kit and monitor you urine.  Or have your friend smell your breath.  If there is a fruity smell your burning off muscle.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »
Wow, man, I thought we were talking about cardio here.  Yes, I agree that diet is first.  In no way did I mean to say that sprinting is a magic pill for fat loss.  Neither did I mean to say that it is a fast way to lose fat.  I agree that nobody should be losing more than 1 pound of weight a week.  I've been training for 24 years and have competed four times, naturally.  And I have done very well.  So I know what you are talking about.  I used to do the 40 minute cardio and lost fat that way, but 15 minute intense cardio absolutely works better.  It is not easy.  It takes a lot of mental toughness and this is why I never wanted to do it, why many people prefer not to do it.  But it works.  Look at the huge difference between long distance athletes and sprinters.  I now look much better before competition after switching from long, low intensity cardio to short, very intense cardio.  Yes, there are many ways to speed up your metabolism, and this is definitely one of them.

4thAD

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 09:53:11 AM »
I will weigh myself at the gym today! I have been keeping track of my weight since I have started the MAX OT cardio and the ECA stack. I will post the results this afternoon! I am noticeably slimmer in the waiste, and the face! I swear by MAX OT cardio (along with good diet and ECA stack)!

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »
I have been doing Max-OT.  It is amazing.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 09:58:56 PM »
Weighed myself and have lost 6lbs in the last two weeks with the MAX OT cardio. It should be done with every work out. 5X per week! Or more if you need it. Max OT cardio will turn your body into a fat burning machine even while not on the bike. I have also been doing an ECA stack with very good results!
wow man u must also be on their AST VP2 Protein proven to work 8 times better than regular protein. Combine that with their AST Creatine HSC and you'll be superhuman fat-burnin muscle-building machine ::)
follow the arrows

4thAD

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 09:35:01 AM »
Nope not using any AST products at all! Actually I know nothing about the quality of their supplements...I just like the training program. BTW Im down to 208 4 more lbs.