Author Topic: Why 240 was wrong  (Read 15472 times)

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
Re: Why 240 was wrong
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2006, 10:14:05 PM »
Where did I stick my foot in my mouth?

I never said I could do the things 240 alledgedly emailed BB.com about.

Everything he wrote was bullshit...

You said you had access to sales records and "so much more". In the context of the conversation it was obvious to everyone that you were implying you had access to personal information.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2006, 10:14:43 PM »
Can't you two just be friends ::)

I

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2006, 10:17:44 PM »
Bob-

You never outright said "Dear Getbig readers, I have access to all bb.com customer order files and credit card #s", but your emails were full of implied messages, along with the infamous "....."'s for further implied intent.

I've already cut + pasted what you wrote before, so no need to do so again - you know what you wrote.

Perhaps this is intentional on your part - the whole "Aint no such thing as bad publicity" thing.

Regardless of these pointless but amusing debates, you still have your Masters title, bb.com contract, and of course a pro physique - whether it's a 2nd tier, 3rd tier, or 4th tier pro physique, it's still obviously better than almost anyone else's on here.

As for 240 - well at least in my mind, he's definitely "won" this round with you Chick, and possible getting more interest for his websites.

Hmm, maybe this is all a secret alliance between 240 and Chick to further BOTH of their careers!!!!

Ha!

Tx again you 2.

bb doc

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2006, 10:18:36 PM »
You said you had access to sales records and "so much more". In the context of the conversation it was obvious to everyone that you were implying you had access to personal information.

Was it obvious? I do have access to sales records as backed up by the CEO himself...and I do have access to "much more" and have more responsibility than any other athlete in reguards to business within the company.

Are we talking about what I said..or 240's interpertation?

Some of you are easily duped, if thats the case...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2006, 10:19:55 PM »
Bob-

You never outright said "Dear Getbig readers, I have access to all bb.com customer order files and credit card #s", but your emails were full of implied messages, along with the infamous "....."'s for further implied intent.

I've already cut + pasted what you wrote before, so no need to do so again - you know what you wrote.

Perhaps this is intentional on your part - the whole "Aint no such thing as bad publicity" thing.

Regardless of these pointless but amusing debates, you still have your Masters title, bb.com contract, and of course a pro physique - whether it's a 2nd tier, 3rd tier, or 4th tier pro physique, it's still obviously better than almost anyone else's on here.

As for 240 - well at least in my mind, he's definitely "won" this round with you Chick, and possible getting more interest for his websites.

Hmm, maybe this is all a secret alliance between 240 and Chick to further BOTH of their careers!!!!

Ha!

Tx again you 2.

bb doc

Could be...

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »
Was it obvious? I do have access to sales records as backed up by the CEO himself...and I do have access to "much more" and have more responsibility than any other athlete in reguards to business within the company.

It seemed pretty clear that you were talking about personal information. That's what I and everyone else thought and it made sense in the context of the conversation.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »

For the record if you havn't already read.................. I am actually on your side :o
I

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
As I said before..... A prick!!

Um, I think we see who won't let this die...

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »
It does amaze me Chick that you've managed to make a living off of lifting weights even though you turned pro VERY late + were never/are not in the Jackson/Levrone/Cutler/James league.

Smart of you to market yourself + "work the system" (w/o doing gay-for-pay) to make $$$ off of basically a hobby.

What are your plans for when you retire?  Or do you plan on being like Vince Taylor (kinda sad - seems he's not doing too well finanically), and competing in your late 40's, early 50s?

-bb doc

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2006, 10:26:44 PM »
Bob's getting a job as a debate team coach.  Should take him 13 years to get his first win, juuuust like BBing ;)

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2006, 10:27:55 PM »
It does amaze me Chick that you've managed to make a living off of lifting weights even though you turned pro VERY late + were never/are not in the Jackson/Levrone/Cutler/James league.

Smart of you to market yourself + "work the system" (w/o doing gay-for-pay) to make $$$ off of basically a hobby.

What are your plans for when you retire?  Or do you plan on being like Vince Taylor (kinda sad - seems he's not doing too well finanically), and competing in your late 40's, early 50s?

-bb doc

Dude shut the fuck up >:( Seriously he doesn't even need to compete and he could be more sucessful in life then you ever could be ::)
I

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2006, 10:34:31 PM »
Thats a fair and legit question....

I'll never retire from Bodybuilding...just the competing portion of it. No, I won't be donning th trunks into my late 40's/ 50's...not sure you can hide a pair of Depends under posing trunks...they're the size of slingshots for cripessake!!

I'll be getting more involved behind the scenes, and into the business sense of BB, and more specifically, working in the business capacity at BB.com, where I split time now as a Pro Athlete, and take care of certain parts of the company.

I also have other business ventures like being an owner/ V.P. of Eggwhites International, and a few other investment-type companies...

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »
Mike-Machine-

Actually I wasnt trying to bash Chick w that post - as you can tell, Chick didnt take offense.

Peace,

bb doc

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2006, 10:44:15 PM »
Chick-

Your plans make sense.  Will you be getting a MBA, or taking some select basic finance classes (like the way Arnold did) so you can be an effective businessman?

Why do you think other pro bb of similar age/experience as you, never planned for the future as you (and Shawn Ray, Strydom, and other older, financially OK guys) seem to be doing?

Not talking about the 24yo top-level NPC guy who only lives, eats, breathes bb, but folks like Vince Taylor, who going by his interview on bb.com, seemingly never looked past their bb career.

Taylor reminds me sorta of ex-boxing greats like Riddick Bowe, who just flounder in life past their athletic prime.

BB is such a weird sport, but something I've loved since high school.

-bb doc

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2006, 10:44:38 PM »
Mike-Machine-

Actually I wasnt trying to bash Chick w that post - as you can tell, Chick didnt take offense.

Peace,

bb doc

Well allright....... i don't see where i said you were "bashing" him but i guess the  >:( made you think that :)

Basically i just meant he doesn't even need to compete and he could still be known in the BBing industry :) and i respect pros who do things other then just competing.
I

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2006, 10:48:48 PM »
You hit the nail on the head...most athletes never look past the competing part of their career.

They also don't work on/ perfect anything outside of their physique...like people skills, or representing a company properly.

Others that were very successful on stage and made a shitload of money...thought the gravyutrain would never stop...and blew money on superficial things like cars/ stereos/ jewelry, etc....things that had no return, like a house, or stocks, or investments...

I've said it for years now....theres more to being a pro bodybuilder than just competing (or should be)

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2006, 10:50:55 PM »
You hit the nail on the head...most athletes never look past the competing part of their career.

They also don't work on/ perfect anything outside of their physique...like people skills, or representing a company properly.

Others that were very successful on stage and made a shitload of money...thought the gravyutrain would never stop...and blew money on superficial things like cars/ stereos/ jewelry, etc....things that had no return, like a house, or stocks, or investments...

I've said it for years now....theres more to being a pro bodybuilder than just competing (or should be)

Great post, Bob!

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2006, 10:54:16 PM »
chick-

Doesnt the NBA have a "How to handle your Finances 101" class that all rookies have to take?

That would be a great thing for all new IFBB pros straight out of their NPC win - maybe you could set this up for the future?

It's such a recurrent theme in ALL pro sports - young pro blows $ on women, wine, and wheels, and then has nothing to show for it at age 45.

But in pro bb, where the $'s much less, it's even sadder.

- bb doc

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2006, 10:57:14 PM »
chick-

Doesnt the NBA have a "How to handle your Finances 101" class that all rookies have to take?

That would be a great thing for all new IFBB pros straight out of their NPC win - maybe you could set this up for the future?

It's such a recurrent theme in ALL pro sports - young pro blows $ on women, wine, and wheels, and then has nothing to show for it at age 45.

But in pro bb, where the $'s much less, it's even sadder.

- bb doc

This is a great idea, bb doc!

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
Of all "sports" BBing should have a class for personal finances :-\
I

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:10 PM »
Of all "sports" BBing should have a class for personal finances :-\

The first lesson would be not to become a bodybuilder :-\

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
8 years ago, after I finished my schooling, I read a great, simple book called "Personal Finance For Dummies".

Like a lot of stuff in the "For Dummies" line, it was really simple + to the point.  Obviously, if you're looking to be a hedge fund manager, this aint the book for you, but the point is that for the majority of people, you DON'T need such complexity in your financial life.

It's like bb basics - K.I.S.S. principle is best (Keep It Simple Stupid).

For example, w/ mutual funds, investing in ONLY Vanguard and TIAA-CREF products (lowest expense ratios in the industry) should be good enough for 95% of people.

-bb doc (not a personal advisor, or employee/owner of any of the products mentioned above!)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2006, 11:07:27 PM »
Funny you should mention that...It's an idea already in the works as a collaboration piece from different people in the industry.

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2006, 11:09:46 PM »
Lucius-

Heh, sad, but funny + somewhat true.

Still, if a child of mine told me he wanted to be a pro bodybuilder (low $, dangerous), my reaction would be the same as if he told me he wanted to be a painter (low $), social worker (low $), Marine (low $, dangerous), or biology PhD(very low $ despite YEARS of higher education):

1.  Why do you want to do this?

(1a.  Have you considered a different career that's easier/more financially lucrative/more widely respected?)

2.  Do you realize your chance of financial comfort is low?
3.  Do you realize this career could hurt your body?
4.  What will you do after you're done competing/working?

So I think that if some young teen bb has the genetics to be a great pro, REALLY KNOWS the pros+cons of pro bb, and STILL wants to do it, then this bb should be supported by the organization(s) he pays dues to - and 1 simple way is to teach this young bb the basics of personal finance.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2006, 11:12:30 PM »
Lucius-

Heh, sad, but funny + somewhat true.

Still, if a child of mine told me he wanted to be a pro bodybuilder (low $, dangerous), my reaction would be the same as if he told me he wanted to be a painter (low $), social worker (low $), Marine (low $, dangerous), or biology PhD(very low $ despite YEARS of higher education):

1.  Why do you want to do this?

(1a.  Have you considered a different career that's easier/more financially lucrative/more widely respected?)

2.  Do you realize your chance of financial comfort is low?
3.  Do you realize this career could hurt your body?
4.  What will you do after you're done competing/working?

So I think that if some young teen bb has the genetics to be a great pro, REALLY KNOWS the pros+cons of pro bb, and STILL wants to do it, then this bb should be supported by the organization(s) he pays dues to - and 1 simple way is to teach this young bb the basics of personal finance.

Sorry to tell you but Marines are the most hardcore people in the world and if it wasn't for my low amount of credits in highschool i would be one. SEMPER FIDELIS 8)
I