Author Topic: Anyone do Cardio before a workout?  (Read 2983 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
Anyone do Cardio before a workout?
« on: May 08, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »
I was wondering if anyone did cardio before their workouts, if they want to burn alot of fat. I know the best times are am on empty stomach, and at night before you go to bed.

But before a workout philosophy- burn up any extra carbs you have, then through your workout you shoul dbe burning fat for energy?

Anyone hear of this?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Anyone do Cardio before a workout?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 01:06:18 PM »
I would think you are burning muscle while working out after cardio.  I do cardio a few hours after breakfast before lunch so it's more or less on an empty stomach and your metabolism is going.  Then I eat a clean lunch right after, eat at 3 and workout at 5.  Been working really good.  Plus your more recuperated for your workout.  My .02

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
Think so? Might be true..just wondering, as i am amping up for some fat burning.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 01:10:19 PM »
I keep my heart rate pretty low doing cardio, too high and your burning muscle.  I know for a fact my heart rate is higher when I lift weights, especailly when I hit it hard.  So I think it's important to have a protein shake in your stomach while lifting weights so your muscles are getting replenished.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
Peace and good genes be to you

I love that quote..its great  8)

Thanks for the tips.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:24:15 PM »
dont do it.

look at it this weay:     the point of cardio is to get you tired.     the point of lifting is to fatigue the muscle as much as you can.     you can get tired, when your already tired. but you canot fully fatique your muscle once your already tired.

hope that helps.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »
This kid knows shit!

V  V  V
dont do it.

look at it this weay:     the point of cardio is to get you tired.     the point of lifting is to fatigue the muscle as much as you can.     you can get tired, when your already tired. but you canot fully fatique your muscle once your already tired.

hope that helps.
just push some weight!

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
This kid knows shit!

V  V  V
if by "shit" you mean "his shit". then yeah, your correct.   
d[-_-]b actin all cool

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 03:23:13 AM »
I only do about 10 minutes of cardio before a workout, just to warm up... I think if you have to do cardio on a lifting day, and you have to do it after the gym, I would lift, then have a big shake and the do cardio after a 10 minute break.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 03:24:26 AM »
if by "shit" you mean "his shit". then yeah, your correct.   

yeah alexxx's english sometime's leads to confusion

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 06:01:09 AM »
If you want to get the most out lifting, do not mix it with cardio.  Do cardio in the morning and lift in the evening.  Even better, do your cardio on the days that you don't lift. 

When you lift, you want all the energy that you can possibly get if you want to build the most muscle in the least amount of time.  There is no way that I can squat the same weight after cardio that I can squat before cardio, when I'm fresh and full of energy.

If you do cardio right after lifting, you are interrupting the muscle recovery and growth that you just triggered through lifting.  After lifting, you should have a post workout meal and relax for the rest of the day.

If you want to burn a lot of fat, get your priorities straight: Diet first, then lifting, then cardio.  Lose the fat slowly, no more than one pound a week over a long period of time.  This way you'll look much better and you won't regain all the fat after a while.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »
yeah alexxx's english sometime's leads to confusion

My english is perfectly fine in that sentence.  :-*
just push some weight!

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 07:23:08 PM »
If you want to get the most out lifting, do not mix it with cardio.  Do cardio in the morning and lift in the evening.  Even better, do your cardio on the days that you don't lift. 

When you lift, you want all the energy that you can possibly get if you want to build the most muscle in the least amount of time.  There is no way that I can squat the same weight after cardio that I can squat before cardio, when I'm fresh and full of energy.

If you do cardio right after lifting, you are interrupting the muscle recovery and growth that you just triggered through lifting.  After lifting, you should have a post workout meal and relax for the rest of the day.

If you want to burn a lot of fat, get your priorities straight: Diet first, then lifting, then cardio.  Lose the fat slowly, no more than one pound a week over a long period of time.  This way you'll look much better and you won't regain all the fat after a while.

I agree 100% with this post!  8)
Ron Paul 2012

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 01:59:01 AM »
My english is perfectly fine in that sentence.  :-*
my mistake!   ::)

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 02:13:07 AM »
both cardio and weight training will burn carbs for energy, but weight training, being anaerobic, prefers to burn carbs a bit more than aerobics. it only makes sense to burn off the carbs with weight training first, then do cardio afterwards to continue the fat burning process. i do that sometimes, but i'm still a firm believer in doing your cardio no less than 6 hours after you weight train. if time is an issue, then you can do both, but no doubt weight training first.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 06:52:34 AM »
it only makes sense to burn off the carbs with weight training first, then do cardio afterwards to continue the fat burning process.

It only makes sense?  It only makes sense if your goal is to lose weight from both fat and muscle.  If that's your goal, then go for it.  After 45-60 minutes of intense lifting, your body will run low on carbs.  To save your life, the pancreas releases the hormone Glucagon to produce more carbs (blood sugar).  Where do you think those carbs come from?  Your muscle tissue.  Glucagon breaks down muscle tissue to extract the Glutamine from the muscle protein, moves the Glutamine to the liver where it's converted to carbs and then moved to the blood stream.  The only way to prevent or stop this is to keep your lifting short and intense, then have a protein/carb post workout meal, then relax.  The carbs in the post workout meal make the pancreas stop the release of Glucagon to start the release Insulin, which helps build muscle.  These are opposites.  You either build muscle or lose it.  There is no in between.  Cortisol is also released in response to the stress of exercise.  Cortisol is a hormone that is released to help our bodies deal with stress by breaking down protein stores to use as energy.  Cardio right after lifting is a bad idea if you are trying to maintain/gain muscle while losing fat.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 10:15:36 AM »
I only do cardio only twice a week no more than 20mins.  I can burn easily so I dont need much.  Need to preserve my energy for lifting.  If you dont have a lot of body fat you dont need too much cardio

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »
It only makes sense?  It only makes sense if your goal is to lose weight from both fat and muscle.  If that's your goal, then go for it.  After 45-60 minutes of intense lifting, your body will run low on carbs.  To save your life, the pancreas releases the hormone Glucagon to produce more carbs (blood sugar).  Where do you think those carbs come from?  Your muscle tissue.  Glucagon breaks down muscle tissue to extract the Glutamine from the muscle protein, moves the Glutamine to the liver where it's converted to carbs and then moved to the blood stream.  The only way to prevent or stop this is to keep your lifting short and intense, then have a protein/carb post workout meal, then relax.  The carbs in the post workout meal make the pancreas stop the release of Glucagon to start the release Insulin, which helps build muscle.  These are opposites.  You either build muscle or lose it.  There is no in between.  Cortisol is also released in response to the stress of exercise.  Cortisol is a hormone that is released to help our bodies deal with stress by breaking down protein stores to use as energy.  Cardio right after lifting is a bad idea if you are trying to maintain/gain muscle while losing fat.

re-read my post. i didn't advocate doing weight training and cardio together. i was just saying if you don't have time to do them seperately, then do cardio after weight training.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »
re-read my post. i didn't advocate doing weight training and cardio together. i was just saying if you don't have time to do them seperately, then do cardio after weight training.

nothing wrong with that...