Author Topic: Sergio Olivia still big!  (Read 107270 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Sergio Olivia still big!
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2006, 01:33:24 PM »

When we would go out to eat and he brought the kids, it was a disaster. When it was time to leave, the table was a mess. He wasn't a big tipper. It's not that he was cheap, he was just a lousy tipper. After a big meal and receiving dinner for half price, he would leave a $2 tip. This is because he believed that the waitress was making an hourly wage and really didn't need the money. I remember he would tip the delivery guy from the Chinese restaurant $1. I asked him about it and he said, he gets money for the delivery. I remember the delivery charge for Pekin House was $1. so the guy made a whopping $2.

Being a lousy tipper, except in the case of bad service, is the definition of cheap.

Sergio = Great Physique = Bodybuilding Legend = Cheap Fuck

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2006, 04:40:02 PM »
Buffbodz, the cortisone injections worked great for me and made it a lot easier to sleep. I'll just keep getting them until they don't work but my workouts are much better. Hey, for $35 with insurance for two shots and no pain, that's a bargain.

I don't know what pain killers you're taking but stay clear of Vicodin or any of the similar drugs since they will only aggravate the condition once they wear off. Ask me how I know.
I was taking Elavil 10mg at bedtime and once that stopped working I would switch to Tramadol 50 - 100mg. You can mix these with Ibuprofen but that got old so I went for the Cortisone and have been pain free for two weeks now and my range of motion has improved. He said it could work for as long as 8 months or not. The injections weren't that bad and I consider it a lot easier than a prostate exam or going to the dentist. The end result sure is better. Sure beats joint replacement.

I guess Michael Clarke Duncan would have to wear his shoes on his knees to play Sergio.

Okay, he was cheap with some things and generous with others. Mostly generous with himself. He did buy me a great bottle of Cologne once and it wasn't cheap but I'm sure he got a great deal on it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »
FWIW, as someone who has had shoulder problems, you're far better off getting a very occasional cortisone shot to get rid of the pain while simultaneously removing or going lighter onall exercises that directly contributed to the problem. If not, the problems will eventually return and result in lifelong pain and possible surgery.

Substitutes exercises and other preventative measures like higher reps and differing sequences of exercises that ensure better warmups are the best solution.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2006, 05:01:38 PM »
CS! thank you for answering pretty much everyone of my questions. I can't even think of any more for now. ;D
just push some weight!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2006, 07:29:41 PM »
I hope CS and vince will keep adding memories of the myth to this thread.   Is this a sticky yet?  Its the first one i go to when i log on!!    Thanks ;)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2006, 07:32:30 PM »
It used to be a sticky. Not anymore?! >:(
just push some weight!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »
It used to be a sticky. Not anymore?! >:(

It was a sticky for one day!!..........some one with weider love must have changed his mind. >:(

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2006, 07:57:51 PM »
 They could be heroes, just for one day... :-\

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2006, 08:15:45 PM »
They could be heroes, just for one day... :-\

Cool avi sig! 8)

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2006, 08:20:37 PM »
Cool avi sig! 8)

Thanks. I thought it would help humble people before Jesus ;D

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »
The exercises that I've eliminated from my workouts are behind the neck presses, behind the neck pulldowns and any type of chins since these would make my shoulders ratchet like stripped gears. Also, as long as I keep my bench weight to a moderate level, like no more than 245, I'm okay. Usually I'll do more sets and reps but I seem to have found my limits and what kills my shoulders. Doing both triceps and biceps on the same day also aggravated my shoulders so I split them up. Hanging from a chin bar feels great and everything pops but even the Orthopedic Surgeon said I'm better off with the cortisone and to wait until I can no longer tolerate the pain. So far I have to agree with the Doctor. I guess if he was out to make some quick $$ he would have suggested I have the surgery so I appreciated his honesty. This is the same thing Sergio Oliva was going through in the late 80s. It was brought on while he was in the hospital. I wouldn't doubt his not being able to train made the arthritis symptoms worsen. I'd like to continue to train for another ten years and then weigh my options.
There are no supplements that will help this condition so save your money for the cortisone shots.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2006, 07:54:42 PM »
CS are these articles acurate regarding sergio's training?
just push some weight!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2006, 10:06:14 PM »
He's waaaayyyyy taller than Sergio though people outside of bodybuilding would never know and he does look a bit like Sergio. 

LOL!  Duncan is not really that tall... he's walking on a 10"-12" platform.  Check out where his waist is in reference to Tom Hanks head. 

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2006, 10:20:40 PM »
LOL!  Duncan is not really that tall... he's walking on a 10"-12" platform.  Check out where his waist is in reference to Tom Hanks head. 

That's true, but he is still pretty tall.

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2006, 10:35:20 PM »
This has appeared on GetBig before but I'm sure some of you haven't seen it - so here it is

Click here to watch Sergio_Oliva_1985

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2006, 04:29:24 AM »
this thread have had me totally locked reading for an hour now. awesome!
MIRAGETROPIN

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
Alexxx, I didn't train with Sergio in the old days but a close friend of ours did and I do remember him supersetting Chest with back and he did superset bench with wide grip chins and cross bench dumbell pullovers. I can also tell you that when he did cross bench pullovers he didn't bend his elbows as most do and he kept his ass down. When I was training with him we were supersetting deadlift and bent over barbell rows with the cross bench pullovers and we were lifting very heavy weight.
He had changed his routine whenever he thought of something new so over the years it changed quite a bit.

Sorry, I couldn't see the 1985 Olympia video you posted but I have it on tape somewhere. I remember seeing it at the Admiral Theater piped in live from Brussels on the big screen. Lou Ferigno, wife Carla and daughter were sitting right behind us. Lou looked very small at the time. Lou is one of Sergio's biggest fans. Lou has always said that Sergio is one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time. I agree.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2006, 08:52:40 AM »
sergio made arnold a better bodybuilder imo,arnold had to try that much harder in training,diet,posing ect cause of that massive sergio in the picture,so it made arnold a better bodybuilder
R

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
Alexxx, I didn't train with Sergio in the old days but a close friend of ours did and I do remember him supersetting Chest with back and he did superset bench with wide grip chins and cross bench dumbell pullovers. I can also tell you that when he did cross bench pullovers he didn't bend his elbows as most do and he kept his ass down. When I was training with him we were supersetting deadlift and bent over barbell rows with the cross bench pullovers and we were lifting very heavy weight.
He had changed his routine whenever he thought of something new so over the years it changed quite a bit.

Sorry, I couldn't see the 1985 Olympia video you posted but I have it on tape somewhere. I remember seeing it at the Admiral Theater piped in live from Brussels on the big screen. Lou Ferigno, wife Carla and daughter were sitting right behind us. Lou looked very small at the time. Lou is one of Sergio's biggest fans. Lou has always said that Sergio is one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time. I agree.

Thats a brutal workout. Did you guys go for higher reps with the deads?
just push some weight!

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2006, 10:40:59 AM »
CS are these articles acurate regarding sergio's training?

I would think that it's fairly accurate due to one thing: Sergio hated Weider and his publications and Lurie was at war with Weider at the time. So I tend to trust that it would please Sergio to help Lurie one-up Weider.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »
I would think that it's fairly accurate due to one thing: Sergio hated Weider and his publications and Lurie was at war with Weider at the time. So I tend to trust that it would please Sergio to help Lurie one-up Weider.

You are starting to make sense. The dieting must be having a good impact on you or that cup of wip cream in the morning.  ;)
just push some weight!

CT

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2006, 11:01:46 AM »
Yes... I'm actually regaining some brain power... I dieted too hard too fast so I was kinda of a zombie 2 months ago... all better now. BTW, shoot me an email at christianthibaudeau_1@hotmail.com I have some documents that might interest you.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2006, 11:19:40 AM »
Look at that cutout from a mag above. Man Sergio ownes Arnold bad in that shot, and he is even standing a good 2-3 feet closer to the camera which makes Arnold look bigger too. Total Ownage by the Myth.
MIRAGETROPIN

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2006, 11:39:04 AM »
Yes... I'm actually regaining some brain power... I dieted too hard too fast so I was kinda of a zombie 2 months ago... all better now. BTW, shoot me an email at christianthibaudeau_1@hotmail.com I have some documents that might interest you.

Recently declassified Soviet-era military papers? :o

DEFCON

• Getbig IV
  • LSD, 100 µg, i.m.
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »
This picture is frome a few yaers ago, he still looks awesome.
Great arms still!
I love how his hands are 6 times bigger than the other guy's hands