Author Topic: BONDS vs. Barbaro  (Read 7020 times)

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
Re: BONDS vs. Barbaro
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2006, 06:40:09 AM »
Both are/were on a bunch of performance enhancing drugs.

One breaks a milestone.
One breaks a leg.

Why all the fuss about the broken leg and little about the milestone?

Because people dont care about a milestone that doesnt mean anything.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: BONDS vs. Barbaro
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2006, 06:05:11 PM »
The logic is kinda skewed:

MLB rules did not ban until apprx 11/17/2005 the use of steroids so therefore using prior to that was not cheating.

BUT

Steroids are illegal to buy and use without a prescription. You can be prosecueted for illegally obtaining and using them.  

So in a purely legal since ANY athlete who is using steroids is a criminal and by proxy cheating.

Personally, I am not opposed to steroid use but the facts remain.

1st pt . yes, MLB did have an OFFICIAL rule against steroids and related drugs as early as the mid 90's.
They didn't start testing however until recently. So, it was against the rules and also the law of the country where most games are played.

2nd pt - I too agree that steroids should be used and monitored for proper use by a Team Doc, no question.
However, our opinions don't carry the wt of the law. For example, we might think that it is safe and fine to drive 85 mph on certain roads, but if the law says 60 mph is the limit we get pulled over and fined.

Pt 3/ An organization has the right to regluate the performance of its players and how the game is played,
NASCAR and dragsters take great pains to ensure some guys car conforms to limits on HP, and performance for safety and consitancy, etc. A guy can't use a corked bat or run guys over out of the baseline, etc.
There needs to be an organized well established standard and conduct for all athletes in all sports if the game or sport is to have any meaning.

pt4/ I agree, Bonds being an A-hole and a major star hurt him greatly. He didn't juice any more or less than plenty of other guys that never even got a slap on the wrist. I suspect that from the Comm. on down they just looked the other way and now are embarressed. Now, the public pressure and perception demands they do something.
Bonds is the ideal guy to take the fall for the whole wacked situation. To be fair if you DQ what Bonds does, you gotta DQ a whole bunch of others with him.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: really?
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2006, 10:15:41 PM »
Exactly what information did you bring to the table?Certainly not one fact.I guess your attempt at being cleaver with the OJ remarks means you enlightened us with your brilliance.Your a typical lemming being led around by the nose by the media.They say Bonds is a cheater,you say Bonds is a cheater.Never would you actually do some research to back up your opinion or actually state one single solitary fact.Have fun in your pathetic little world and keep letting the media dictate every opinion you have,that way you never actually have to think at all.By the way,there is a HUGE difference between book smart and having common sense.You are book smart but don't have the sense God gave a Billy Goat.

Regardless of where you stand in the Steroid issue, one has to acknowledge that there has long been a ban for steroid use in the MLB.

Just as in the IFBB, incidentally.

It's all about what kind of testing protocol is used. If any.

So whether or not Bonds was cheating cannot be an issue. He was. MLB had rules against the use.

He fcuked up by getting caught, you may say.

But performance enhancing drugs have been against the rules of MLB for quite some time.

You may think it's hypocritical that they didn't enforce their rules earlier.

And you may think that the rule in itself sucks. But the point is, there were rules.

Bonds fcuked up by getting caught.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise