Author Topic: Red Wine  (Read 11185 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Red Wine
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:01:57 PM »
I read about this study in MD.  It showed that drinking 450ml (just about 2 cups) of red wine per day caused no increase in abdominal fat or body weight...  Anyway, the benefits of red wine on the circulatory system are well documented and I have started drinking some regularly...

Right now I am having about 375ml per day (half a bottle).... i totally love the obvious relaxing effect, and see very little wrong with this, I mean most of Europe does the same thing....

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else regularly consumes red wine?  Others have stated that it might speed recovery and boost testosterone levels.

All I know is that it makes the evenings groovy.

Discuss?

anabol-lektor

• Getbig II
Re: Red Wine
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:27:27 PM »
i drink red wine on a regular basis, it helps with vascularity and is cheaper then no2 or no-explode....
Vince G kynoselen KING!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »
i drink red wine on a regular basis, it helps with vascularity and is cheaper then no2 or no-explode....
haha, i have noticed that too

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 07:32:57 PM »
I read about this study in MD.  It showed that drinking 450ml (just about 2 cups) of red wine per day caused no increase in abdominal fat or body weight...  Anyway, the benefits of red wine on the circulatory system are well documented and I have started drinking some regularly...

Right now I am having about 375ml per day (half a bottle)...

I used to be quite the wine (red) snob, had one or two glasses a few nights a week, but for the last several years, not so much. Maybe once every month or two.  As long as it doesn't come in a box, I'm not too fussy  :P   I've got 8 or 9 bottles here; maybe it's time to break out the old tradition.   :D

As far as health benefits, I believe 1 glass (4 ounces)/day for women and up to 2 for men is what is considered heart healthy.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:37:20 PM »
I used to be quite the wine (red) snob, had one or two glasses a few nights a week, but for the last several years, not so much. Maybe once every month or two.  As long as it doesn't come in a box, I'm not too fussy  :P   I've got 8 or 9 bottles here; maybe it's time to break out the old tradition.   :D

As far as health benefits, I believe 1 glass (4 ounces)/day for women and up to 2 for men is what is considered heart healthy.

you're correct

4thAD

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 10:16:39 PM »
What up WOOO? I also drink red wine about three times a week! Paul Cribb recommends it! I don't know if you can access this, but I'll try:
http://www.ast-ss.com/dev/qa_search/full_text.asp?ID=3014
If you cant Ill post it! Sorry for the long post!

Q:          During the weeks before a competition is it alright to have a glass of red wine and if so, how many per week?

A:       It may sound contradictory, but I believe that red wine should be a part of every bodybuilder’s diet. Small amounts of this beverage on a regular basis will not only provide numerous anti-cancer effects, the components found in red wine also appear to enhance fat metabolism.

Resveratrol is the active ingredient thought to be responsible; its found in dark grapes but a particularly potent, bioavailable source is red wine. Resveratrol has been shown to dramatically increase the rate at which cells metabolize fat.I’ll give you an idea of how much I believe in the health benefits of resveratrol and red wine.

Previously I never drank red wine as I never really cared for its taste at all. However, based on the steadily accumulating health benefits of this drink, I’ve trained myself to have a half-glass of red wine with my evening meal. This small amount is all that’s required to provide some rather powerful benefits, and this amount can be calculated into the pre-contest calorie intake of most bodybuilders.

I’m not advocating that consuming large amounts of red wine is going to get you ripped. Not for a second. Alcohol is alcohol; a calorie-dense nutrient that acts a lot like fat in promoting calorie storage. However, bodybuilders need to get their heads around the idea that science is unveiling previously “hidden” compounds in regular foods that have profound benefits to our metabolism and physiology, and sometimes these compounds are found in foods that are not your typical bodybuilding staples. Smart bodybuilders will incorporate this new research into their diets and reap the benefits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »
Just eat grapes instead.  Same health benefits without the alcohol (but not as much fun). 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 01:30:03 AM »
Just eat grapes instead.  Same health benefits without the alcohol (but not as much fun). 
not true... grapes are good for you, but many of the beneficial compounds in wine are created during the wine making process.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 06:35:05 AM »
Not trying to rain on your parade as all the health benefits are true but you must remember the additional calories your are putting in which could indirectly increase ab fat i:e gut......

I love a nice glass myself once and a while

Drink on!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »
not true... grapes are good for you, but many of the beneficial compounds in wine are created during the wine making process.

What beneficial compounds?  Hard to believe grapes become healthier by spoiling. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 10:25:54 AM »
don't forget the negative effect on testosterone levels...

4thAD

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »
What are the negative affects on test???

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 11:21:03 AM »
Research shows that even moderate consumption of alcohol affecst all three parts of the HPG Axis, a system of endocrine glands and hormones involved in male reproduction and, in particular, is associated with the lowering of testosterone levels.

That being said, I drink on occasion, but I do so fully aware that Alcohol is the bodybuilder's enemy number 1, not just because of the test. factor but also numerous other adverse effects.

4thAD

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 02:11:40 PM »
I think the benefits of one glass of red wine a day far outweigh the adverse side affects!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 03:29:40 PM »
I think the benefits of one glass of red wine a day far outweigh the adverse side affects!
absolutely... anyway, i am a purely recreational lifter.. i do not mind being above 10% BF... the wine is worth it!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 03:48:16 PM »
... the wine is worth it!

Amen to that.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »

^ Concur

4th,  would you please do me a huge favor  ???
Change your avatar.  It's very disturbing.  :-X
Thanx in advance.
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 11:54:46 AM »
I try to drink 4oz red wine every night with my dinner. 

Red wine improves fat metabolism.  The extra calories will make you fat?  Who said that they are extra calories?  If a glass of wine has 50 calories, then eat 50 calories less from other carbs in the day.  Make it part of your total daily calorie intake.  Red wine also helps you relax which helps with muscle recovery.  It improves blood circulation and helps prevent heart decease.  It lowers your blood sugar and helps prevent diabetes.  Heck, unless you are a recovering alcoholic, I don't see why you shouldn't have a glass of red wine every day.  All of the benefits are well worth it. 

And no, you will not get the same benefits from grapes, just as you won't get the same benefits from raw tomatoes as you do from cooked tomatoes.  Red wine and plain grapes are not the same.

Will somebody please post a link to a study showing that red wine negatively affects your testosterone levels?  I am not saying that there is not a study out there.  I'm just curious because I've read a lot on this subject and have never seen anything like this.  I've actually found nothing negative on red wine. 

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »
Note to self: Read this when you come back from the gym!
just push some weight!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 01:47:25 PM »
I try to drink 4oz red wine every night with my dinner. 

Will somebody please post a link to a study showing that red wine negatively affects your testosterone levels? 

It's not red wine per se, it's alcohol contained in red wine and beer, etc.   It's the same chemical whether you consume it in whiskey out of a paper bag, or in the form of red wine in a $100 wine glass.  This is just one study on the effects of alcohol on test. which I found easily on yahoo, I'm sure you could find many more.

"Alcohol and the Male Reproductive System"

pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh25-4/282-287.pdf

See also Alcohol and Bodybuilding

www.mindandmuscle.net/magmain.php?issueID=4&pageID=59

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »

^ Concur

4th,  would you please do me a huge favor  ???
Change your avatar.  It's very disturbing.  :-X
Thanx in advance.

that avatar is godly

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
"Acute ingestion of ethanol has been fairly consistently shown to significantly suppress testosterone production in both animals and humans, adults and adolescents. We will first look at the mechanisms involved, then turn to studies looking at actual testosterone levels."

Acute would be regular (3 or more times per week) consumption of 4-6 drinks or more... not 1-2 drinks...

http://www.food.leeds.ac.uk/mp/diabetes/front%20page/RED%20WINE1.htm

Shows the other side of the coin:

"Different studies have shown that a long-term exposure to alcohol is associated with an improvement in insulin sensitivity. A recent study which aims is to assess the role of acute moderate alcohol intake on insulin sensitivity and insulin secretion in comparable subjects with and without type 2 diabetes. These scientists have shown that acute alcohol consumption increases insulin sensitivity and improves insulin action without affecting beta-cell secretion. This effect may be partly due to the inhibitory effect of alcohol on lipolysis."

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
that avatar is godly
What am I missing  ???
 :-X
:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 06:37:30 PM »

And no, you will not get the same benefits from grapes, just as you won't get the same benefits from raw tomatoes as you do from cooked tomatoes.  Red wine and plain grapes are not the same.

I think it would be more accurate to compare raw tomatoes and rotten tomatoes.  Isn't wine basically fermented grape juice? 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 09:11:58 PM »
I think it would be more accurate to compare raw tomatoes and rotten tomatoes.

Bad analogy Beach  :-X

In a nutshell........

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/heart/9907/06/wine.heart/index.html
: