Author Topic: weak elbow on bench  (Read 1684 times)

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
weak elbow on bench
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »
I was doing brench press the other day.  315 for 8 reps.  I only go down til the back of my arms hit parrellel.  My chest felt strong, but my left elbow felt like it was going to snap when I got to rep 3.  I don't know if this is a tricep issue, or a joint issue. muscle wise I felt like I could have easily done all 8 reps, but my elbow just didnt' feel right, so I stopped.  I take flax seed oil , and fish oil at night before bed along with a multivitamin.  I am eating right too.  Has anyone else ever experienced something like this and if so how did you fix the problem.  My stats.  6' 4" 225 lbs. 

FatGuy

• Getbig II
  • Man these weights are heavy!!!
Re: weak elbow on bench
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 01:09:26 PM »
I have the same problem, My elbow's give out and hurt long before my targeted muscle group...No idea how to fix it...

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:02:04 PM »
Any exercises you recommend to warm up the elbows?  I usually do a light set of tricep extensions on cables, or is there something else you all would recommend?  This only happends when I do barbell bench.  When I do dumbell bench it doesn't happen.  Any thoughts?  Any supplements that might help?

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »
As far as warm ups, I use rope cable pushdowns.  It seems to do the trick.  I do those before CG bench press and the elbows are fine.  Supps you should take are a combo of Glucosamine, Chondriton and MSM.  My cousin is an orthopedist and he recommended that to me.

I don't know if its my joint or the tendon connecting to the elbow.  It feels more like the tendon right at the elbow.  Another exercise I do is decline hammer strength on my side to work the inner Pecs.  When I do this my left elbow has a shocking feeling as if I am hitting my funny bone.  Any ideas?  I will try the msm stack you recommended for now.
Thanks

mombasa3

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »
You and I have a similar problem.  I am 6'6", weight fluctuates between 270 and 280.  We have LONG arms and a LONG range of motion even if we take our arms just parallel to the floor.  I try to keep my elbows directly under the weight during my lift and my other secret is this, flexall or tiger balm.  People can smell me from 10 feet away.  Nobody except my friends have given me any grief about it.  But when it's time to start lifting and they are feeling sore, they come running to me.  Give it a shot and tell me what you think.