Author Topic: Big arms - average chest  (Read 3361 times)

1more

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Big arms - average chest
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:33:46 AM »
Unfortunately over the time I've been lifting my arms have outgrown my pecs and now they are no longer proportionate. My current chest routine is : 3 x flat bench (barbell), 3 x cables cross overs, 3 x cable flys, 3 x incline (barbell) and 3 x decline (barbell). I lift pretty heavy (with good form) on chest but I don't feel the weight is translating into size in my pecs.

It has been suggested that my arms may be compensating for my pecs at a heavy weight? Firstly could this be true? Secondly I've heard dumbells are a better option in my position... but because I've generally always used the bar I'm going to have to take the weight down to be able to use the dbs with good form (which I don't want to do).

So is there another way w/o using dumbells or should I just bite the bullet or is there any other alternatives I have contemplated?

Thanks a lot

BigPopa

Re: Big arms - average chest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »
Just my opinion, and this is without ever having seen you to say what kind of form you have but that is up to you to use as strict form as you can.  Anyway it sounds like to me that you are doing to many exercises for your chest for one.  For two, yes you are going to have to using DB's.  You will get much better results for your efforts.  Try this, try pyramiding the weight up and drop the reps down on each set, 4 reps per exercise.  Start off w/ incline DB presses as the upper chest is the weakest part, then go to flat BB presses,  next is DB pull-overs, finish with DB flat bench flyes.  On the presses start off with about 70% of your max weight after you warm up and increasing the weight as you go.  On your last set it should be about 90% of your max weight.  On the pull-overs and flyes just stick with the same weight because these are just shaping exercises and you want to focus on the stretch of the muscle, your form, and contraction.  Hope this helps.  Just remember to use strict form and focus on the muscle you are working.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:00:30 AM »
Heavy bench presses and dips.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 11:28:50 AM »
pause bar on chest for a sec. you cant do as much weight but damn it grows

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 02:09:45 AM »
pause bar on chest for a sec. you cant do as much weight but damn it grows
i do the same thing but with dumbbell press... rest each rep lightly on your chest before pressing... killer

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 06:00:17 AM »
drop cable exercises. not sure about the value of decline either. do dumbbell bench and dumbbell incline. might wanna focus on doing incline first since you put it way down before
maybe youre using too much weight so you dont really work the chest, but shoulders take too much work.
sounds like you're too obsessed with amount of weight. maybe you should figure out which is more important to you, the size of your chest muscles or the weights you lift.

Z

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 07:37:48 AM »
Try starting with an isolation movement forist to pre exhaust your chest before the pressing exercises. Try starting with pek dek flyes or dumbbell chest flyes, then with no rest immediately going to a compound exercise such as incline chest press, bench press.

You will be forced to go a bit lighter on the compound exercises but the development in your chest will increase providing that you have the genetics to develop them.

4thAD

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 03:39:58 PM »
stick to the basics for chest! 3 sets flat bench, 2 sets incline dumbell, 1 set dips weighted. Stick with a 4-6 rep range! under 4 too heavy, 6 or more to light.