Author Topic: Lee Priest - Robin Chang has cancelled his stuff  (Read 40997 times)

atrain

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Lee Priest - Robin Chang has cancelled his stuff
« Reply #325 on: August 22, 2006, 11:08:37 PM »
I know it would be hard to change, but how can this rule by fair (or legal) when there is not a guarantee of compensation when you sign on to compete.  How many placings at the olympia actually make $10,000 or more.  I can see making someone pay back a plane ticket or hotel room for not competing though.
Here you go...maybe this will help some of you understand this incredibly complicated situation...

3.8 Failure to Compete:   An Athlete who signs a contract to compete and who subsequently fails to do so  will be subject to a US $5,000.00 fine and a suspension from all Pro League  competitions for a period to be determined by the Pro Committee. If the failure  occurs at the Olympia competition, the fine will be US $10,000.00. If the reason  for not competing is medical in nature, the Athlete must report to a doctor  selected by the Pro Committee, at his or her own expense, to prove the illness.   

3.9 Reimbursement to Promoter:   Any Athlete who signs a Competition Contract to compete and who subsequently  fails to do so, whether such failure occurs before the competition or during the  competition, for whatever reason (including medical), must reimburse the  Promoter any and all expenses incurred by the Promoter on the athlete’s behalf.  Failure to reimburse the Promoter will result in the Athlete being placed under  suspension until all expenses are paid in full.   

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #326 on: August 22, 2006, 11:32:31 PM »
I know it would be hard to change, but how can this rule by fair (or legal) when there is not a guarantee of compensation when you sign on to compete.

A legal contract does not have to include compensation.

Anal Iceman Lubeth

• Getbig III
  • I am no longer on friendly terms with St. blechman
« Reply #327 on: August 22, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
A legal contract does not have to include compensation.

dude, the O athletes' contract says they will be given travel and food allowances.  that is compensation.

of course a legal contract doesn't have to include compensation.  man you are a simp. like a timid 4th grader trying to explain calculus to a busload of deaf kids.

the 2006 contract says that lee will get plane tickets.  it says nothing about last year's tickets.  read the contract.  just cause its convenient for chang to even out for last year - it is not legal for him to demand it.
Chadwick Mower in 2008

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2006, 11:45:47 PM »
d thats my bottom line , there is no honesty and integrity at the top of the governing body , thus there can be none further down the line !!

Thats my point so obviously made clear for all to see !!

I just hate hypocrits !!

So using a ticket for a trip that it was not intended for shows honesty and integrity?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2006, 11:48:05 PM »
Like I said that contract is done by an elementary school student.  It is hilarious that this is the contract used for this show.  It's so holy I can see Jesus in the background.  You know how much a first year law student could disect that contract.  What a joke.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #330 on: August 22, 2006, 11:53:57 PM »
So you are telling me that you think that Lee did the right thing?  Just curious.

I don't think what Lee done is right but either is the fact this is the contract the IFBB gives these guys to compete.  It is basically a slave order with absolutely not one thing for the competitor.  Contracts should benefit both parties.  Where is there a benefit stated in that contract for the competitor.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2006, 11:57:56 PM »
So using a ticket for a trip that it was not intended for shows honesty and integrity?

Kevin even you have to admit that is not an honest contract with integrity in mind.  That is a one-sided agreement benefiting and protecting the IFBB.  It does absolutely nothing to support the actual person who the contest is put on for.  Like I said, the competitors should strike the Olympia until the contract and other issues are resolved.  In fact even if the top 5 or 10 competitors only competed and the other 15 competitors went on strike it would affect the Olympia greatly.  What kind of contests would their be if only 10 guys showed up.  The IFBB would be forced to bend greatly.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #332 on: August 23, 2006, 12:31:04 AM »
I don't think what Lee done is right but either is the fact this is the contract the IFBB gives these guys to compete.  It is basically a slave order with absolutely not one thing for the competitor.  Contracts should benefit both parties.  Where is there a benefit stated in that contract for the competitor.

Kevin even you have to admit that is not an honest contract with integrity in mind.  That is a one-sided agreement benefiting and protecting the IFBB.  It does absolutely nothing to support the actual person who the contest is put on for.  Like I said, the competitors should strike the Olympia until the contract and other issues are resolved.  In fact even if the top 5 or 10 competitors only competed and the other 15 competitors went on strike it would affect the Olympia greatly.  What kind of contests would their be if only 10 guys showed up.  The IFBB would be forced to bend greatly.

The Olympia contract is no different to those of other sports where athletes are competing for prize money. It sets out what the promoter offers and what he expects in return. The promoter offers a venue, travel, hotel etc. and the prize money. In return he expects the athlete to compete and help promote the event. This is the basis of all sports contracts.
Do you propose that athletes go on strike for all bodybuilding events where a similar contract applies? If so, there will be no IFBB, NABBA or PDI shows for in the future.

newmom

« Reply #333 on: August 23, 2006, 04:09:01 AM »
ok so say a athlete is in a cab on the way to olympia and god forbids is in a car accident and has some broken ribs...u mean to say they have to pay the promoter for not competiting that rule just sucks out loud..

gatrainer

• Getbig III
« Reply #334 on: August 23, 2006, 04:12:31 AM »
Hey Lee:)

Would it not be cool if Michael Moore himself would make an investigative documentary on the IFBB, kind of like Fahrenheit 911?

Damn those guys have graveyards in their closets....

yeah sure....the general public is so interested in hearing about the life of bodybuilders

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #335 on: August 23, 2006, 04:19:39 AM »
The Olympia contract is no different to those of other sports where athletes are competing for prize money. It sets out what the promoter offers and what he expects in return. The promoter offers a venue, travel, hotel etc. and the prize money. In return he expects the athlete to compete and help promote the event. This is the basis of all sports contracts.
Do you propose that athletes go on strike for all bodybuilding events where a similar contract applies? If so, there will be no IFBB, NABBA or PDI shows for in the future.

I don't know what contracts you have looked at, but this 1/2 page contract isn't even close to what any other sport uses.  Not even close.  Where is there anything in that contract that;

1. guarantees payment by the promoter
2. Elaborates on room type (I mean can the promoter put the guy up in a motel 6 or seedy place downtown)
3. no mention of any type of airport transfers or transportation to the expo (even though they are required to attend)
4. sets forth any type of minimal provisions while competiting
5. if any provisions were included what type of financial compensation will the competitor recieve
6. no mention of any type of payment for video sales, photos or other instances where their image may be used.  And if their image is used illegally does the IFBB provide legal assistance (fully paid for) to go after anyone using their image illegally.
7. no mention of any kind of taking full responsibility if anything of personal value gets stolen from backstage.  The IFBB is supposed to provide security and if anything gets stolen the IFBB is 100% responsible.
8. If something happens to a competitors music whereas it screws up so bad the competitors can't pose, what happens.
9. No guaranteed per diem.  I know it is paid but is it in writing somewhere and when does it have to be paid.  The competitors shoudl recieve the day they arrive at the least
10. It should have some type of compensatory provision if prize money isn't given out on time and if a check bounces
11. there should also be something in these contracts that pays every competitor a minimum of $10,000 plus all expenses leading up to the contest by the IFBB (not the promoter) in case a show is cancelled or postponed.  
12. All travel concerning the event should be taken care of.  No reimbursements.  This means, airfare, cabs, airport transfers, transportation to and from the event and expo.  And in reality these guys are professionals and limos should be at their disposal

ANyway there could be allot more.  Sorry but this contract is a joke and I think several lawyers that have been on here have said the same thing.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #336 on: August 23, 2006, 04:23:53 AM »
And I really like the bit about not being able to compete if medical you have to go to a doctor of the IFBB's choice and you have to pay for it.  That is one of the funniest things ever.  you know for darn sure the IFBB is getting a cut of that bill and that the doctor is probably crooked and will not give a valid excuse (unless very evident) because then the IFBB can't collect the fine.  I swear the more I read about and hear how the IFBB operates it pisses me off.  I can't understand why anyone would ant to be ruled and controlled this way.  CHic are you seriously this insecure along with the other 200 pros. Man get some balls and stand up for yourself.  You type tough, so go do something real and get the IFBB to straighten up.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #337 on: August 23, 2006, 05:05:53 AM »
I don't know what contracts you have looked at, but this 1/2 page contract isn't even close to what any other sport uses.  Not even close.  Where is there anything in that contract that;

1. guarantees payment by the promoter
2. Elaborates on room type (I mean can the promoter put the guy up in a motel 6 or seedy place downtown)
3. no mention of any type of airport transfers or transportation to the expo (even though they are required to attend)
4. sets forth any type of minimal provisions while competiting
5. if any provisions were included what type of financial compensation will the competitor recieve
6. no mention of any type of payment for video sales, photos or other instances where their image may be used.  And if their image is used illegally does the IFBB provide legal assistance (fully paid for) to go after anyone using their image illegally.
7. no mention of any kind of taking full responsibility if anything of personal value gets stolen from backstage.  The IFBB is supposed to provide security and if anything gets stolen the IFBB is 100% responsible.
8. If something happens to a competitors music whereas it screws up so bad the competitors can't pose, what happens.
9. No guaranteed per diem.  I know it is paid but is it in writing somewhere and when does it have to be paid.  The competitors shoudl recieve the day they arrive at the least
10. It should have some type of compensatory provision if prize money isn't given out on time and if a check bounces
11. there should also be something in these contracts that pays every competitor a minimum of $10,000 plus all expenses leading up to the contest by the IFBB (not the promoter) in case a show is cancelled or postponed.  
12. All travel concerning the event should be taken care of.  No reimbursements.  This means, airfare, cabs, airport transfers, transportation to and from the event and expo.  And in reality these guys are professionals and limos should be at their disposal

ANyway there could be allot more.  Sorry but this contract is a joke and I think several lawyers that have been on here have said the same thing.

1. This has already been explained by Chic. The IFBB guarantee the prize money.
2. The athletes have rooms at the host hotel.
3. You could put a clause in that the athlete is required to go by supplied transportation. You'd then argue that this restricts the athletes choice ;D
4. What "minimal provisions" ?
5. See "4"
6. Athletes in all sports are expected to promote the event. Be specific about "illegal use" of an image? as you're a little vague. If I take a photo of an athlete on stage, I own the copyright. If it is used by a magazine without my permission I would sue. If the image was used to promote a supplement, then the athlete would sue.
7. Valuables should be the respnsibility of the individual. I've had lenses stolen while in the pit. My fault. Can't blame anyone else, except the C$%Ts who stole them.
8. Always have a spare cd of music available. How would you determine blame?
9. I'm sure the per diem was written somewhere? When do they get paid?
10. What would consider a fair amount of time? 30 days? 60 days? or 90 days like a lot of the publishing world? Would you expect to establish who was at fault if there was problem with the check? If the bank was to blame, you'd get the compensation from them.
11. What sport includes this? So Ronnie would be paid for a full years expenses, while someone who qualifies at the last show would get 4-6 weeks?
12. Limo's would be nice.

toodzl4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #338 on: August 23, 2006, 05:27:25 AM »
I have a pretty simple question:  If they couldn't cancel last years ticket because it was bought in Lee's name how were they able to cancel this years ticket?  Wouldn't they run into the same issue this year as last year since presumably it was bought in Lee's name again this year? So how could they cancel this years?

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #339 on: August 23, 2006, 05:30:56 AM »
Here you go...maybe this will help some of you understand this incredibly complicated situation...

3.8 Failure to Compete:   An Athlete who signs a contract to compete and who subsequently fails to do so  will be subject to a US $5,000.00 fine and a suspension from all Pro League  competitions for a period to be determined by the Pro Committee. If the failure  occurs at the Olympia competition, the fine will be US $10,000.00. If the reason  for not competing is medical in nature, the Athlete must report to a doctor  selected by the Pro Committee, at his or her own expense, to prove the illness.   

3.9 Reimbursement to Promoter:   Any Athlete who signs a Competition Contract to compete and who subsequently  fails to do so, whether such failure occurs before the competition or during the  competition, for whatever reason (including medical), must reimburse the  Promoter any and all expenses incurred by the Promoter on the athlete’s behalf.  Failure to reimburse the Promoter will result in the Athlete being placed under  suspension until all expenses are paid in full.   

That dosent mean shit when i was told to write a letter and that would be it.They had the chance to ask for money back,suspend me,fine me.But NO they wanted a letter and a letter is what they got.:) Plus i am pretty sure when budgeting for the Olympia they take into account all athletes flight and accom and per diem etc.I am sure they didnt say hey we need less money because we have 400 credit from last year.Please if it came out of Robin's pocket i would pay it back no problem,but it didn't.
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

bigcal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2006, 05:40:29 AM »
Be a man Lee and just accept the fact that you went behind Robins back and used the ticket for you own personal use and didnt bother to tell anyone, thinking you would get away with it.  You are both in the wrong, just fuckin deal with it and stop whinning.  This is startin to sound like a pissing match between a bunch of second graders over who cheated at the marble pit. 

One more thing, Marc, dont even think you can call Bob out for dealing with this over the internet.  You were the one who chose this route in the first place.   How hard would it have been to simply PM Bob, or better yet, Lee do his own dirty work.  Onlyme, sounds to me like your boy Lee also has Weideritis or whatever homo name you gave to people who have others do their dirty work.  Nothing ever gets done because all you so called "grown up, business men" chose to air your issues over the internet and turn it into a bitch fest with the rest of the getbig needledicks rather than chose the proper process for such matters.  When will you wake up and realize that businesses are not run and changed through a fuckin gossip forum?

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #341 on: August 23, 2006, 05:45:58 AM »
Be a man Lee and just accept the fact that you went behind Robins back and used the ticket for you own personal use and didnt bother to tell anyone, thinking you would get away with it.  You are both in the wrong, just fuckin deal with it and stop whinning.  This is startin to sound like a pissing match between a bunch of second graders over who cheated at the marble pit. 

One more thing, Marc, dont even think you can call Bob out for dealing with this over the internet.  You were the one who chose this route in the first place.   How hard would it have been to simply PM Bob, or better yet, Lee do his own dirty work.  Onlyme, sounds to me like your boy Lee also has Weideritis or whatever homo name you gave to people who have others do their dirty work.  Nothing ever gets done because all you so called "grown up, business men" chose to air your issues over the internet and turn it into a bitch fest with the rest of the getbig needledicks rather than chose the proper process for such matters.  When will you wake up and realize that businesses are not run and changed through a fuckin gossip forum?

I didn't go behind anyones back.I had the credit in my name i used it.I wasn't worried about getting caught didn't even think about it.Please like i would care.They didn't say not to it was not stipulated in this years contract about 2005 so what's the problem?

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #342 on: August 23, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »
Mmmmm...how can you compare the Olympia to other sports and those athletes with contracts that make them hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a year?  The athletes in other sports or should I say REAL sports that are recognised by joe public are endorsing big companies and tv stations that are in the public eye it's in their interest to promote their event because they're really getting paid for it.

Maybe it would be a good thing if all the bodybuilders went on strike.  The sport really needs to change.  The athletes deserve better. 

Bodybuilding is no different than any other sport apart from the amount of money they earn. It's still beneficial for the athlete to promote the show. Golf is televised around the world but Tiger Woods does not get paid directly by the TV company. It comes by way of prize money which is huge becuase of the amount of sponsorships available.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #343 on: August 23, 2006, 05:55:50 AM »
They didn't say not to .....

But did they say you could?
It doesn't say you can take an item from the supermarket without paying for it, but it doesn't mean we can?

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #344 on: August 23, 2006, 05:58:09 AM »
But did they say you could?
It doesn't say you can't take an item from the supermarket without paying for it, but it doesn't mean we can?

No but they did say when i asked did they want  me to pay back any money THEY SAID NO JUST WRITE LETTER.
DO WE UNDERSTAND NOW.They didn't say not to either we can go on all day.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #345 on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:14 AM »
No but they did say when i asked did they want  me to pay back any money THEY SAID NO JUST WRITE LETTER.

The reason for the confusion is because you said you talked to "Jim" - I assume Jim Manion? - and he told you to just write a letter. Since when is he the promoter?
Did Robin tell you that it was ok to change the ticket?

gatrainer

• Getbig III
« Reply #346 on: August 23, 2006, 06:05:04 AM »
You're right, But it says alot about your character that you would have used it in the first place when you opted out of the Olympia

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2006, 06:44:17 AM »

the 2006 contract says that lee will get plane tickets.  it says nothing about last year's tickets.  read the contract.  just cause its convenient for chang to even out for last year - it is not legal for him to demand it.

Yes!
Motherboy (the band).

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #348 on: August 23, 2006, 07:42:54 AM »

Lee be careful they may still be able to impose these penaltiees.  Maybe Adam Empire knows.

I have a pretty simple question:  If they couldn't cancel last years ticket because it was bought in Lee's name how were they able to cancel this years ticket?  Wouldn't they run into the same issue this year as last year since presumably it was bought in Lee's name again this year? So how could they cancel this years?

Some are saying the ticket and hotel room havenot been cancelled.  But if they haven't why would Marc have started this thread.

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #349 on: August 23, 2006, 07:50:57 AM »
I dont mind paying my own way.Twinlab would pay it anyway so i am not bothered.

Remember this everyone?  Lee said he doesn't have a problem paying.  But if he competes in the O at least the press conference will be exciting this year!

Lee owes for the ticket last year but should get comped one this year competes