Author Topic: Peter McGough banning MD from the O!  (Read 13074 times)

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
Re: McGough Banning MD from the O?
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
I was contacted to work on the TV/DVD production and webcast, since I did that type of work for almost 8 years with the ESPN American Muscle show and the event coverage we did many times for the Olympias, Arnold, USA, etc. My old boss wanted to bring me out of retirement to help out with directing an ENG camera crew. I probably would have been helping out with backstage interviews and the stuff that went on live on the Jumbotron to the audience.

We (my old boss and I) agreed on a rate and other terms, but suddenly he was told from someone at Weider/AMI that I was not welcome on his crew as I was a writer for MD. Never mind the fact that I also write for Musclemag, Ironman, and REPS. And I have never said a single bad thing about Peter McGough or Robin Chang. In fact, Robin and I worked together for four or five years in the same office for that same boss and I still consider him a friend.

Pretty silly, isn't it?

No loss - I don't really miss TV production - LONG, LONG hours and impossible to get your meals in every 2-3 hours. The lifestyle of a freelance writer is much better for me. 

Ahhhh..  Another reason not to buy ANY AMI magazines...
Motherboy (the band).

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Peter McGough seems overly pompous
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2006, 06:57:22 PM »
....to assert that
"He (pecker) defended me against Blechman’s rantings to the point that he felt compelled to leave the room."

According to Kevin Hyson - Pecker being upset over Blechman's requests to buy FLEX was what eventually caused him to leave. Not insulting good ol big mac, though big mac would like people to think so. This would lead people to beleive that pecker actually cares about "his good friend" Peter (whose precious magazaine is incidentally being sold off) and bodybuilding in general..

amoney86

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Peter McGough seems overly pompous
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2006, 07:34:36 PM »
peter is an ass who has never touched a weight. At least romano and blechman work out.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2006, 07:39:45 PM »
peter is a fat ass who has never touched a weight. Atleast romano and blechman work out.
pete needs to get a bit healthier otherwise diabetes is right around the corner...

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2006, 07:48:36 PM »
As the athletes rep Chick should be screamimg for the most exposure for the group he represents and that includes access to all areas of the competition. Of course he'll rationalize his response. His duty is to the athletes not to any paticular publication or be politically influenced by who is going to give HIM the greatest exposure

i agree.  chick should be doing his best to promote bodybuilding positively, not taking sides in a retarded magazine fight.  if anything, he should be helping to fix the situation for the sake of the athletes who's interests rest with both magazines.  seriously, grow the fuck up.  its called "athlete's rep", not "magazine's rep".

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2006, 08:06:35 PM »
Pete: You've got the perfect physique for radio, Bob
Bob Chick: Hey, how about that?!

Classic

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »
how Blechman can accost Peter for how he looks is astounding considering how Steve himself walked around not too long ago . . .

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »
....to assert that
"He (pecker) defended me against Blechman’s rantings to the point that he felt compelled to leave the room."

According to Kevin Hyson - Pecker being upset over Blechman's requests to buy FLEX was what eventually caused him to leave. Not insulting good ol big mac, though big mac would like people to think so. This would lead people to beleive that pecker actually cares about "his good friend" Peter (whose precious magazaine is incidentally being sold off) and bodybuilding in general..

Exactly!  What a piece of shit this guy Pecker is.  A tabloid publisher with thin skin.  What a joke.  Pecker is using McGough to sell the magazines and that's it. McGough is going to be walking the streets after Flex and M&F get sold. Pecker is lying to him and McGough is buying it hook, line and sinker.  Oh, yeah, Good old Pecker became so incensed at the comments bleckman was making about fat Mac that he just had to throw his napkin in his plate and storm out.  Phony Drama.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Peter McGough banning MD from the O!
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2006, 10:40:54 PM »
MD is considered the second biggest magazine for pro bodybuilding today, despite whether or not the numbers are auditing. Page by page, they give more exposure than all other magazines, with the exception of Flex.  But this is an arguement with AMI, who is the promoter of the Olympia, and MD. It is not with the IFBB and MD.  And the promoters can choose who they give press passes too, although I wonder if the IFBB can interject in this type of disagreement.

However, the problem does not occur with the attack on the Olympia or by even commenting on a bodybuilder's physique. The problem lies with the constant and malicious attacks on the people who are running it. There is a difference between calling someone's articles and picture taking not good, and calling someone a fat ass. Come on already, even I get irritated with people who do that, aka malicious bashing, even on the boards, and you get warned. Romano went too far here with the malicious stuff...

For all who said that Peter McGough never worked out, there are a few pictures of him when he was younger in great shape, and pounding the muscle. So let it be.  And you don't have to be a great writer or good photographer in bodybuilding to actually be a bodybuilder (we have been through that arguement).

But perhaps the last straw was the MD September 2006 editorial that John Romano wrote.  Comments like "Pecker's ego is so overly inflated that he can only get his head through French doors, and thats if he turns sideways", "flat voice that wheezed like the voice of a man who had just won a hot dog eating contest", and more like that probably got their attention. Why give press passes to people who attack the people who run the show will such malicious bashing?

So AMI denies MD the press passes. Will it affect them? It depens on where and how MD chooses to react. There are two ways to do this.

1) The best way is for Peter McGough and Steve Blechman to finally talk out some issues, and work in ways to better the industry. An idea was presented a while back where Flex, MD, MuscleMag, Ironman, etc and various internet sites, Getbig, Musclemayhem, Muscletime, etc can work together, meet and find a way to get the bodybuilding industry in a good direction. It won't stifle free speech, criticism but the malicious bashing would be less there. Even on the boards, which we are trying to do, without hampering free speech.

2) The second way is to not work with MD, and they really start going off, no holds barred. Forget the press passes, we don't need them. We will pay for great seats for the main events, take our pictures needed, get the rest from others, and give AMI a hard time at the Olympia, for they can't stop us from being there, and talking to everyone.  There are so many people taking pictures at the events that we get offered pictures from 30 different people (it is the same way with websites).

So lets see if this can be worked out - for the good of the sport. Just my opinion.

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2006, 12:21:55 AM »
Whatever else you say about MD, I think it's the most interesting BB mag to read these days.  It also runs the best pix bar none.  The Weider mags (which is what they still are, regardless of the holding company that owns them) generally ruin their pix with poor croppings, bad captions (often printed over the bodies) & inept editing.  The MD people are not outside the whale if they're banned from the Olympia event.  Outside the guppy is more like it.  The only thing I care about is Branch's placing.  Everything else will be the same old same old. 

suckmymuscle

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2006, 12:47:31 AM »
Who gives a shit?! Peter McGough is a genius, and Joh Romano is an addict who's callous, a liar and a borderline sociopath. His piece of shit mag was good in the 1990s, but now it's just a bunch of opinionated assholes babbling non-stop about what's wrong with pro bodybuilding. Not even Phillips defunct MuscleMedia ever sunk to the lows MD has. Enough!

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »
Peter McGough is a genius

Apparently I dont undertand what "genius" means.. ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2006, 01:11:48 AM »
I was contacted to work on the TV/DVD production and webcast, since I did that type of work for almost 8 years with the ESPN American Muscle show and the event coverage we did many times for the Olympias, Arnold, USA, etc. My old boss wanted to bring me out of retirement to help out with directing an ENG camera crew. I probably would have been helping out with backstage interviews and the stuff that went on live on the Jumbotron to the audience.

We (my old boss and I) agreed on a rate and other terms, but suddenly he was told from someone at Weider/AMI that I was not welcome on his crew as I was a writer for MD. Never mind the fact that I also write for Musclemag, Ironman, and REPS. And I have never said a single bad thing about Peter McGough or Robin Chang. In fact, Robin and I worked together for four or five years in the same office for that same boss and I still consider him a friend.

Pretty silly, isn't it?

Ron Harris,

Indeed that is silly.  I hope that everyone scanning this thread will not overlook your post.  You bring a delicious ivory mountain of knowledge to the sport.

Seriously though- The athletes, and the longterm growth of the sport are the ones missing out by denying you the ability to interview.  You are nothing but a quiet professional and you never engage in the namecalling.  Plus, you do work for a variety of publications.

To the freemasons running the big show... I'd take a look at this decision again.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2006, 01:33:15 AM »
Bodybuilding would be nothing without contraversy.  To a lesser degree this is true with wrestling.  Consider the idea of wrestling without characters or any true physical sport.. essentially its nothing.  Thats what a bodybuilding show is to most .. nothing. 

Only those who can discern physique details will be interested in shows and even then I think most of us would agree that some guys on a huge stage with no real "scale" to show just how large they are is not cutting the mustard. 

The average person who watches it will bore in minutes.  Not a lot you can do about that.  I don't see a whole lot of intelligent attempts by talented people to make it interesting for Joe Bloggs.  Someone with creativity would isolate that which is interesting.. contraversy, pre contest footage, putting these guys next to real people (instead of diminishing that which makes them exceptional), great lifts etc and package it well.

In summary, stop pretending like the soap opera and the peanut gallery is a bad thing and start realising that without this type of thing nobody would give a toss.

irish_strenght

• Getbig II
  • sex me im irish
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2006, 02:50:22 AM »

Pretty silly, isn't it?

No loss - I don't really miss TV production - LONG, LONG hours and impossible to get your meals in every 2-3 hours. The lifestyle of a freelance writer is much better for me. 

that is ridiculous and if anyone thinks Ami hasn't got ties to the and flex iffbb they are kidding themselves, they are being really childish excluding MD from the media is just so they can have a monopoly on the bodybuilding media

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2006, 04:50:26 AM »
Bodybuilding would be nothing without contraversy.  To a lesser degree this is true with wrestling.  Consider the idea of wrestling without characters or any true physical sport.. essentially its nothing.  Thats what a bodybuilding show is to most .. nothing. 

Only those who can discern physique details will be interested in shows and even then I think most of us would agree that some guys on a huge stage with no real "scale" to show just how large they are is not cutting the mustard. 

The average person who watches it will bore in minutes.  Not a lot you can do about that.  I don't see a whole lot of intelligent attempts by talented people to make it interesting for Joe Bloggs.  Someone with creativity would isolate that which is interesting.. contraversy, pre contest footage, putting these guys next to real people (instead of diminishing that which makes them exceptional), great lifts etc and package it well.

In summary, stop pretending like the soap opera and the peanut gallery is a bad thing and start realising that without this type of thing nobody would give a toss.

This is so true pro bbing has a lot of drama associated with it.

johnnytosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2006, 04:52:37 AM »
This has nothing to do with the IFBB, Keith...you have such a hard-on for manion / IFBB that anything that happens, you believe to be some sort of giant conspiracy...

The IFBB doesn't run the Olympia...AMI and Robin Chang do.

No one else has gotten their press passes revoked...Ironman, MMI, Planet Muscle, etc...and they all have commented on how the Olympia was run last year.

Exactly !!  Bob is right when he says too many get-biggers keep spouting "conspiracy theory" bullshit over & over.
When it really doesn't exist.  They are not banned from the Olympia.. They just don't get treated like royalty for playing their childish renegade act.  You know what act that is.. The one where all there magazine articles talk about their athletes getting "Screwed" by the judges.. Romanos piece about his private meetings with David Pecker was beyond adolescent. Ask yourself... What was he trying to do by divulging such a one way slant about a private meeting ?  He was trying to turn people "off" on FLEX magazine..  It was a pathetic attempt to play the David vs Goliath role to win over sentiment & subscriptions.  

It is funny watching so many get-biggers get sucked right into it. So many get-biggers falling in step with the David vs Goliath role, and acting like junior renegades & outcasts..  Oh ! Wait a minute !!  I have to read Valentino talking about puke & shit & FARTS for the 10th time !!

"FREEDOM of SPEECH" is a constitutional right that we enjoy in the courts.  HOWEVER, it DOES not justify a private business bashing another business, and then expecting free priveleged passes. I can't wait to read Romano's crying in the next issue of MD about this. In fact, I'm sure Romano will end up spinning 3 pages of repetitive whining over this latest development.

Would you invite some DUDE to your wedding that spreads rumors your wife is a slut ?  Of course not.

Long live CHICK & the IFBB !!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2006, 06:03:43 AM »
Bottom line it comes down to "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". I like Romano, he's always been cool to me and tells it how he sees it without sugar coating it. Now that said, I think John went too far as a journalist by personally bashing Pecker. He could have easily stuck to the facts without his color commentary inserted in the article. It was irresponsible on his part and unneccessary. Do I think revoking press passes does anything? Yes and no. It sends a message to MD that they need to be more responsible in their writing. Everyone agrees last year's Olympia was far from perfect but personal attacks do nothing to further bodybuilding. I spoke with Flex Wheeler this weekend about this and he said MD will still be attending and still cover the show. They just won't have press passes.

MD "shit in their own bed" so to speak on this one. They knew it was coming but like one of their athletes, Lee Priest, they enjoying going against the grain on things. Had they stuck to writing about the facts and minus the personal attacks they'd still be sitting in the press section. It will be interesting to see what John writes after the Olympia and for the good of the industry, I hope the personal attacks stop. The last thing we need are the magazines becoming like the message boards where legitimate discussions turn into mud slinging.

Elevate Your Image.™

Pazuzu

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2006, 06:21:24 AM »
Thanks, 240.

Last year MD only got 2 press passes and bought VIP tix for everybody else. So this isn't so different, really.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2006, 06:23:06 AM »
Bottom line it comes down to "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". I like Romano, he's always been cool to me and tells it how he sees it without sugar coating it. Now that said, I think John went too far as a journalist by personally bashing Pecker. He could have easily stuck to the facts without his color commentary inserted in the article. It was irresponsible on his part and unneccessary. Do I think revoking press passes does anything? Yes and no. It sends a message to MD that they need to be more responsible in their writing. Everyone agrees last year's Olympia was far from perfect but personal attacks do nothing to further bodybuilding. I spoke with Flex Wheeler this weekend about this and he said MD will still be attending and still cover the show. They just won't have press passes.

MD "shit in their own bed" so to speak on this one. They knew it was coming but like one of their athletes, Lee Priest, they enjoying going against the grain on things. Had they stuck to writing about the facts and minus the personal attacks they'd still be sitting in the press section. It will be interesting to see what John writes after the Olympia and for the good of the industry, I hope the personal attacks stop. The last thing we need are the magazines becoming like the message boards where legitimate discussions turn into mud slinging.

are you suggesting that Romano doesn't respect "Pecker" because he's a middle aged skinny pencilneck who's never touched a weight in his life, Lift Studios?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2006, 06:26:33 AM »
are you suggesting that Romano doesn't respect "Pecker" because he's a middle aged skinny pencilneck who's never touched a weight in his life, Lift Studios?
Thanks for furthering my point of lowering discussions to message board banter.
Elevate Your Image.™

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2006, 06:28:12 AM »
Thanks for furthering my point of lowering discussions to message board banter.
no problem "Isaac".
Jaejonna rows 125!!

LAMA-PAI

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Censored! BY RON AND THE GETBIG CABAL !
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2006, 07:17:22 AM »
how pathetic don't these fools realize you can suppress the truth
CENSORED BY RON !

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2006, 07:50:43 AM »
I would just like to say that as a young, spunky web designer, I enjoy working for athletes and contributors on both side of the FLEX/MD aisle. 

:)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2006, 09:54:12 AM »

You know - hence lies the problem of people who think your way. Again, not everyone is likes, writes and works in the industry of bodybuilding has to be a bodybuilder. A movie critic doesnt have to make moves to critic them. A football writer and photographer doesnt have to play football. Writing about horseracing doesnt mean you need to train horses. Get over it already. If you ever go to expos, there are various people of all shapes and sizes. Haven't you ever been to a baseball game.

But this does send a message that enough is enough on malicious bashing.