Author Topic: I failed a spot tonight  (Read 3301 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I failed a spot tonight
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:34:09 PM »
I'm a very good spotter on just about all exercises.  I always know who I'm spotting and what they are capable of.  They know my abilities too.  Obviously if a guy is benching 225, 315, whatever... I'm not going to be able to do much of anything if they totally fail.  But that's not my purpose.  Tonight, unfortunately, a guy was doing close grip.  Everything was going along just fine and he totally hit the wall.  I was practically helpless, but fortunately we were able to rack it on the last pins.  In his defense, he was already pretty fatigued from other stuff.  I just feel really, really bad for failing  :'(
:

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: I failed a spot tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:01:28 PM »
Let's hope the lovely Princess L is not the subject of a suicide watch.
Good Luck.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
That reminds me of something that happened to me a little over a year ago. I was training legs alone that day and started with leg press and then moved to squats. I got up to 405, I am pretty comfortable with that weight, but even so I always like to have a spot just in case. Anyway, the gym was dead that day and there wasn't really anyone there who I knew for fact knew how to spot, so against my better judgment I just asked a stranger. I asked him if he knew how to spot and informed him of what I wanted him to do if I did get stuck. I told him I wanted 12 reps and that most likely I wouldn't need any help but just to keep a close watch. Now bare in mind, 405lbs at 12 reps is pretty good weight for me, not a breeze of a lift, but manageable...I'd done this numerous times with no problems and without help. But today things were different, I got to 8 or 9 reps and go stuck in the hole, not sure why. I was stuck down in the hole slowly creeping way past parallel, with no sign of making it back up, I looked at the guy in the mirror, and he was looking right at me, but he just stood there staring...needless to say I crashed, and I mean I crashed hard. Luckily I wasn't injured from this, but I was infuriated. I jumped up and got right in the guys face and just yelled, "what the hell man?" The jerk just looked at me and turned and walked off...I wanted to snap his neck >:(

From that day forth I have never and will never ask a complete stranger to spot me.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:34:04 PM »
Maybe u can learn setting the pins a bit higher next time, thereby eliminating the need for a spotter  ;)
follow the arrows

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:33:19 AM »
That ain't your fault, sometime it happens.

I was once squatting, and simply blacked out. Luckely in a rack with safetybar.
Can I blame the spotter? Nope, you can't expect him to take the full load.
The only fair thing is to help out after.

Another problem is that sometimes the lifter and spotter do a kind of combined training. The goal of spotter is to help out the last couple of reps. Not the whole exercise.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:23:26 AM »
You can blame the spotter in this case, because they have to be with you in paying attention to what's going on. If they are, and catch you before you stop moving, it's not a big deal and you won't get stuck. Unfortunately, you do get these characters who are clueless, just stand there like idiots.

Which is why you probably can't go right to the limit with someone you aren't familiar with, have to ease up before hitting the wall, unless you can get two guys but even then if they're the wrong two guys you'll have two clueless dolts standing there doing nothing..

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 03:48:19 AM »
You can blame the spotter in this case, because they have to be with you in paying attention to what's going on. If they are, and catch you before you stop moving, it's not a big deal and you won't get stuck. Unfortunately, you do get these characters who are clueless, just stand there like idiots.

Which is why you probably can't go right to the limit with someone you aren't familiar with, have to ease up before hitting the wall, unless you can get two guys but even then if they're the wrong two guys you'll have two clueless dolts standing there doing nothing..

way to make her feel better pumpster.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 06:17:37 AM »
Rarely happens when they totally give out and you have to help it back up from chest level, but it happens. Better to get one on either end so you're ready for anything.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 07:30:51 AM »
I'm a very good spotter on just about all exercises.  I always know who I'm spotting and what they are capable of.  They know my abilities too.  Obviously if a guy is benching 225, 315, whatever... I'm not going to be able to do much of anything if they totally fail.  But that's not my purpose.  Tonight, unfortunately, a guy was doing close grip.  Everything was going along just fine and he totally hit the wall.  I was practically helpless, but fortunately we were able to rack it on the last pins.  In his defense, he was already pretty fatigued from other stuff.  I just feel really, really bad for failing  :'(
Sometimes it happens. Be sure to stay focused while doing that, someone can REALLY get hurt!
S

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 09:00:25 AM »
Have to agree with Haider, setting the pins or stops at the correct level would be a good idea. Working at a power rack would not require a spotter. On a Smith machine, a spotter would be a good idea. Smith machines give a false sense of security. Spotters on a A frame rack, always. Progressive squat rack's would not need a spotter, unless you step back and away from it.

A good spotter should  not have to touch the bar at all, even on the final hard reps. That is, unless you want him to. He is there just in case. And can give a mental boost to any lift. Benching anything over 305 would require two spotters on each end of the bar. The standing over the  face and tea bagging a guy when the guy fails a lift is not too appealing to me. And chances are the bar may get away from the spotter also. A spotter can get more injured from a sprained or pulled back/trap/arm muscle than the guy doing the BP. When squating you will need two spotters for sure when heavy weights are used. The purpose of that one spotter standing behind someone when they are squating escapes me. What's he going to do, goose the squater in the arse to help him up with the lift?

As was said before, know the person(s) who is going to spot you. Know his strength and attention span. If he's watching that fine looking women bending over doing SLDL's than you may be in trouble.  If the lovely Princess L has tha problem again than she might run over to one end of the bar and lift it up as high as possible. This will lessen the full impact of the bar on that poor sucker underneath and some of the plates may slide off (anothe reason that collars are not used by most heavy lifters).  While holding the bar up, yell for help. Good Luck.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 09:52:12 AM »

I'll have to disagree with you on this one bro.

As a lifter, you have the responsibility of picking a spotter who is strong/tall/experienced enough for the task.

The lifter, not the spotter should get the blame in this case.

Only get a spotter for the assignment he/she is able to carry out.

If you need a guy who can BB row 315, then perhaps you should reconsider the choice.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
Spotting is an art. I never listen to what they say. "ok man i'll get 10 on my own then get me 11-12 ok?" i say yeah sure but i don't do it. I spot how i was taught and thats it. paying close attention and always keep them moving. UNLESS its a 1 rep max. then i'll only grab it when the bar starts going back down.
bodybuildersreality.com

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »
I never like to spot people i don't know...most people think a spotter is there to lift the weight for them and after they fail they are like "TWO MORE, I GOT IT!!!" but in reality i am doing 20% of the lift...

i will only let two guys at my gym spot me for reasons Arnold posted above...sometimes you hit that wall early and most guys think it's gay to spot a squat the proper way.

shit happens and i've fucked up as well, my friend was doing incline DB press with the 115's and he was repping them out so i wasn't keeping my hands close. then his arm went all funky and he almost dislocated his shoulder as the weight came back...i should have been there.

8)

elcid92

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »
I'm always cautious at who I spot in the gym. There as a guy at my gym who puts 405 on the bar and attempts to bench. However he only takes the bar about quater of the way down. There has been at least two guys who have been injured attempting to spot this clown. When in doubt don't or get someone else to assist.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 06:38:06 PM »
As a lifter, you have the responsibility of picking a spotter who is strong/tall/experienced enough for the task.

The lifter, not the spotter should get the blame in this case.
unfortunately, sometimes there are few choices and a stiff has to do. How anyone can't comprehend how to spot is beyond me but it's fairly common to f*** it up.

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 04:10:52 AM »
I often see this one guy at one of the gyms I go to. He's big and defined, but looks friggin gay - always wears very low cut tight pants over his tight ass...fag!

Anyways, he always shows off his incline dumbell press - grabs the heaviest pair of dbs in the gym. He can do it allright but he can't clear them...So ofcoruse he calls up one of the floor staff...Normally he grabs one db and expects the blocke to pass him the other. Needless to say 99% of the time the staff member can't lift the dam thing higher than his waist.... Really funny/sad scene when this poor staff member tries to pass him the db and this massive fag shouts " c'mon man! c'mon!..."

The guy's big...but a total asshole imo... If he needs to curl those things he should either get strong enough to clear them himslef or get a permanent partner strong enough to do it. Making a circus scene wit the floor staff is really not in his favour.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 08:12:57 AM »
Depends on the design of the incline board but some guy's will sit on the floor rather than standing when doing incline presses. That is, if the incline board goes down far enougth. Or they may sit on a thick pad to boost them up a bit. Easier to spot a person when their in that low position with either DB' or a BB. How much do the  DB's max out at your gym? Good Luck.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 12:06:46 PM »

& the reason why I would never use a woman as a spotter.....

no offense

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »

tough life Prin... can I spot you while you're on the stair climber?    :D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 04:23:50 PM »
& the reason why I would never use a woman as a spotter.....

no offense

Offense taken  thank you :-*

As mentioned B4

you can't expect him {spotter} to take the full load.

The goal of spotter is to help out the last couple of reps. Not the whole exercise.

I don't know many people who could pull a loaded bar up from that position.

In this particular case, I don't think either of us was "at fault".  I've spotted him before.  He's seen me spot others many times.  Maybe because he's seen me working with and spotting my W/O partner who lifts some pretty hefty loads, he had an unrealistic sense of what I am capable of  ??? but honestly, I think he was just pre-fatigued and hit the wall before he/we expected.  :-\

Good discussion.

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 04:30:08 PM »
Have to agree with Haider, setting the pins or stops at the correct level would be a good idea.
  Always.

The purpose of that one spotter standing behind someone when they are squating escapes me. What's he going to do, goose the squater in the arse to help him up with the lift?

I always wrap and perform the movement with them.  I will only spot the squat with guys who know me, know the drill and don't get "distracted" by my boobs pushing up against them  ;D

:

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 05:27:39 PM »
Recently, we've bought a pair of safety racks that attaches to the benchpress, and are easy to set.

With those, you never runs the risk of having serious incidents at contests, or when there are seriously heavy lifts in practice.

One of our best lifters had an injury to his ribcage due to the spotters, all four of them, not being alert.

Shit likes that pisses me off, but it's also inevitable.

And then, safety racks are lifesavers.

As far as regular spotting goes, the usual making sure a lifter can finish his set, I still believe it's the responisibility of the lifter to make sure the spotter is suited to handle the task.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »
Recently, we've bought a pair of safety racks that attaches to the benchpress, and are easy to set.

With those, you never runs the risk of having serious incidents at contests, or when there are seriously heavy lifts in practice.

One of our best lifters had an injury to his ribcage due to the spotters, all four of them, not being alert.

Shit likes that pisses me off, but it's also inevitable.

And then, safety racks are lifesavers.

As far as regular spotting goes, the usual making sure a lifter can finish his set, I still believe it's the responisibility of the lifter to make sure the spotter is suited to handle the task.

YIP
Zack

YIP... you're right... a lifter is accepting the risk for his actions when he perches several hundred pounds over his body...

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 06:24:15 PM »
Any lifter must hold full responsibilities when putting himself in harms way.  There's no where to hide if he loses control of the bar in a BP. And really no one to blame but himself. Any set of spotter's (two or four) a lifter picks should have the full confidence of a lifter and in themselves.  But the troble is that Murphy's law is always in effect 24/7.

I haven't seen it for a long time but some of the heavier benchers (500-700+ benches) used to have two spotter on each side, facing each other. They would have a 4X4, or other such heavy lumber held between them and under the bar. The heavy benches (3X3, singles, etc) where I workout at used 9ft bars (most of the time) so there was extra open space on the ends. If the lifter failed or lost control at anytime the bar  would fall on those 4X4's held between the two spotter's on each side. Some times a heavy, shorter steel bar was used instead of the lumber. Work very well indeed. Something like a mobile power rack.

Think of the lovely Princess L wrapped and behind me as I squat would be rapture unchecked. Wonder if she changed positions much? Something like the Karma Sutra with weights......one can only dream.

Good Luck.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 07:05:40 PM »

Offense taken  thank you :-*

As mentioned B4

just being honest

I don't know many people who could pull a loaded bar up from that position.

In this particular case, I don't think either of us was "at fault".  I've spotted him before.  He's seen me spot others many times.  Maybe because he's seen me working with and spotting my W/O partner who lifts some pretty hefty loads, he had an unrealistic sense of what I am capable of  ??? but honestly, I think he was just pre-fatigued and hit the wall before he/we expected.  :-\

Good discussion.

I think your "friend" is lifting beyond his means or limits if his spotter can't spot him.  Maybe get on a smith like King Kamali with 4 spotters.

::)

Maybe next time he'll choke himself out.