Author Topic: Was all this gang violence in Iraq happening when Saddam was in power?  (Read 9333 times)

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
Re: Was all this gang violence in Iraq happening when Saddam was in power?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
Sorry I asked.

Are the Iraqis better now, years after Hussein was toppled or were they better during his reign? Fair question considering the current state of Iraq.

the question i posed was:
do they possibly have a better future now or if saddam was there still??

W

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »

I didn't see your question. It's possible they might have a better future, it's also possible they might not. We're trying to bring democracy to a people that might not even want it.

What I do know is that Hussein has been gone for a few years now and Iraq is one big clusterfuck, 40+ murders a day not including the bombings is no way to live life.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »
what is the cage?  i completely missed that thing.  like a 'challenge someone to a debate on a topic' thing?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=127624.0

Apparently the name has been changed to "The Cage".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2007, 07:05:20 PM »

*possibly*?

It's possible they'll all buy John Lennon records tomorrow and give peace a chance.

probable?  Who knows.  Likely, there will be 20 years of violence and chaos before all the killers are killed, and population dwindles, and the next generations grow up with democracy.  So sure, their future is brighter.  Long as you can survive the 20 years of murder and general suckiness.  it's worth it if you're born in 2040.  Not so much if you're around today.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2007, 07:07:03 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=127624.0

Apparently the name has been changed to "The Cage".

ah, okay.

I'm fine with using it for debates with many details and somethere we can all learn from.  As far as iraqi deaths over time periods, it's pretty cut and dry.  Living under saddam sucked.  Living there now sucks worse.  Too many died under saddam.  More die now. not sure it contains the potential for interest and learning to make it worth the time.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2007, 07:19:11 PM »
I didn't see your question. It's possible they might have a better future, it's also possible they might not. We're trying to bring democracy to a people that might not even want it.

What I do know is that Hussein has been gone for a few years now and Iraq is one big clusterfuck, 40+ murders a day not including the bombings is no way to live life.

would you agree that there possibility for a better future is more attainable with the US there??  i think so.  so it would be in their and our best intrest to help stabilize the govt.

and i believe they do want democracy with the millions that showed up to vote.

iraq is not on big cluster f**k.  baghdad is. 
W

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2007, 07:25:57 PM »

would you agree that there possibility for a better future is more attainable with the US there??  i think so.  so it would be in their and our best intrest to help stabilize the govt.

and i believe they do want democracy with the millions that showed up to vote.

iraq is not on big cluster f**k.  baghdad is. 

I would like to know since when did we give a shit about bringing freedom to other people....

Ok, let's see that democracy has a better shot with the US there... great... now what.

How is that our issue.

It's still not why we went there in the first place... It was tagged on after all of the other items didn't come to fruition.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2007, 08:28:43 PM »
What needs to be done to restore order are brutal things we refuse to do, things we just put Saddam to death for doing.  But guess what, folks?  That's the only thing that works and the only thing people respect in an enviornment like the middle east.  We can't go in there and "police" like we're patrolling the streets of American suburbia... we need to take the first fuccker who steps out of line, chop his dick off, then rape his daughters and kill his entire family while forcing him to watch, burn his house down, and finally gouge his eyes out, afterwhich we set him free to serve as a warning to others.  Of course we'll never do that, so maybe we should put an Iraqi leader in power who will?  Otherwise, this chaos and disorder will never end. The fucckers need to be scared, and they're just not scared of us.

you're right about that ;D
this is my favorite  post of the day.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2007, 08:41:20 PM »
I would like to know since when did we give a shit about bringing freedom to other people....

Haiti, Somalia, Yugoslavia, Kuwait, etc., etc.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »
Haiti, Somalia, Yugoslavia, Kuwait, etc., etc.

1) Haiti:

Effects of the US occupation on Haiti (WIKI)
The occupation by the United States had several significant effects on Haiti. An early period of unrest culminated in a 1918 rebellion by up to 40,000 former cacos and other disgruntled people. The scale of the uprising overwhelmed the Gendarmerie, but Marine reinforcements helped put down the revolt at an estimated cost of 2,000 Haitian lives.

Thereafter, order prevailed to a degree that most Haitians had never witnessed. The order, however, was imposed largely by white foreigners with deep-seated racial prejudices and disdain for the notion of self-determination by inhabitants of less-developed nations. Such attitudes particularly dismayed Haiti's mulatto elite, who had heretofore believed in their innate superiority over the black masses.

The white American occupiers, however, did not distinguish among Haitians, regardless of their skin tone, level of education, or sophistication. Their intolerance provoked indignation and resentment — and eventually a racial pride that was reflected in the work of a new generation of Haitian historians, ethnologists, writers, artists, and others, many of whom later became active in politics and government. Still, as Haitians united in their reaction to the racism of the occupying forces, the mulatto elite managed to dominate the country's bureaucracy and to strengthen its role in national affairs.

The occupation greatly improved some of Haiti's infrastructure. Roads were improved and expanded through the use of forced labor gangs. This violent form of "corvée labor" — with chain gangs, and armed guards permitted to shoot anyone who fled compulsory service — was widely regarded as tantamount to slavery.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »
Plan to fix Iraq:

1: Isolate the major criminal players and their sub groups-
2: Create an advanced model of the problems in Iraq based on advanced mathematical modeling. Use 10 super computers.
3: Define the most effective "striking points"
4: Kill all the major players with highly effective army assassins
5: Create 10 simple rules that holds every citizen accountable for his actions.
6: Constantly monitor all problems that arise within the advanced model found in #2
7: Create concentration camps.
8: Put all losers ranking 8 or more on the "danger" scale in teh camps.
9: Put tracking devices in the skull of every person in Iraq. Create "ok" zones for every person.
10: Make a mega computer run the entire country
11: Turn the citizens into slaves slaves for the mega computer
12: Put Gary Busey in charge.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
12: Put Gary Busey in charge.

;D

Hey, come to think of it, that emoticon looks suspiciously like.......

Thread Killer

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »
;D

Hey, come to think of it, that emoticon looks suspiciously like.......

;D

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »
Ron Avidan - you owe Gary Busey royalties dammit!
Thread Killer

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
sorry, i get you and mm69 mixed up.

public face of the war = the guy who tells the world we're going to invade, orders the invasion, then seems to be the only voice still pushing it.

he is what motivates these young suicidal idiots, as he is the face they give to whatever horrors they now face.

To which group of young suicidal idiots are you refering? Just wanna make sure I'm following along.  :P
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »
LOL!

bruce go really quiet on this topic. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
No.  We leave the cities yet guard the oil facilities and the borders.  you come within 5 miles, you are neutralized by air.  We stop losing men, and let the iraqi police do their job without the US and their pesky liberal media slowing them down.

Pesky liberal media... {lol} oh no... surely you did not say that. What pesky liberal media? FOXNews?

I think when you set the theatre of engagement 5 miles out, you're inviting nuclear catastrophe.

Nothing to do with hindsight.  Bush asked for A,B,C.  Today, A,B,C are all completed.  Bush then introduced D.  Will E, F, G be next?

He's gonna keep going even if the only ones left supporting him are Laura and Barney.

I think anyone who has been there can answer this - Iraq will not get better until another ballbreaker opens up shop and does exactly what saddam did.  The people there only undersstand power, ball crushing power.  They don't have the internal controls of most Americans. They will loot, rape and kill til they're scared not to.  

So peace will only come when another Saddam takes power, sadly.

Then when he loses favour with imperialist powers, ...Iraq will undergo a sweeping Islamic revival like Iran in the 70s, or she will be re-invaded, the dictator overthrown, hung, ...and more Americans & Iraqi's will die in the streets of Baghdad... until the next puppet regime is chosen.
w

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:20 PM »
we r realizing..

some people NEED a guy like saddam to keep em in check!
carpe` vaginum!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2007, 05:46:04 PM »
1) Haiti:

Effects of the US occupation on Haiti (WIKI)
The occupation by the United States had several significant effects on Haiti. An early period of unrest culminated in a 1918 rebellion by up to 40,000 former cacos and other disgruntled people. The scale of the uprising overwhelmed the Gendarmerie, but Marine reinforcements helped put down the revolt at an estimated cost of 2,000 Haitian lives.

Thereafter, order prevailed to a degree that most Haitians had never witnessed. The order, however, was imposed largely by white foreigners with deep-seated racial prejudices and disdain for the notion of self-determination by inhabitants of less-developed nations. Such attitudes particularly dismayed Haiti's mulatto elite, who had heretofore believed in their innate superiority over the black masses.

The white American occupiers, however, did not distinguish among Haitians, regardless of their skin tone, level of education, or sophistication. Their intolerance provoked indignation and resentment — and eventually a racial pride that was reflected in the work of a new generation of Haitian historians, ethnologists, writers, artists, and others, many of whom later became active in politics and government. Still, as Haitians united in their reaction to the racism of the occupying forces, the mulatto elite managed to dominate the country's bureaucracy and to strengthen its role in national affairs.

The occupation greatly improved some of Haiti's infrastructure. Roads were improved and expanded through the use of forced labor gangs. This violent form of "corvée labor" — with chain gangs, and armed guards permitted to shoot anyone who fled compulsory service — was widely regarded as tantamount to slavery.

Not sure what your point is with this cut-and-paste, but I was responding to this question:  "I would like to know since when did we give a shit about bringing freedom to other people...." 

Among the things I mentioned was Haiti, where we reinstalled a democratically elected leader that was overthrown by an illegal coup.  That happened just a tad more recently than 1918.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2007, 06:34:32 PM »
There'll always be another crazy bastard who 'threatens' world peace and the US government dive on.  It's always been and always will be about money and resources.  The funny thing is that these foreign leaders have historically been friends and allies with the peaceful nations.

If you look at WW2 Germany, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. these were people who had support and financial aid from the US, UK, etc. then laughed in their faces and started shit.  So we have to go in and protect the people (read: reclaim the resources).

But no-one ever seems to learn from these mistakes, and we end up doing the same thing over and over again.  In the next ten years, it'll be North Korea who are 'threatening world peace'.  In twenty years it'll be Iran, or some other crazy nation.

Some countries will always be like this, and unless you're willing to throw out all human rights and go to extreme lengths, it won't change.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
LOL!

bruce go really quiet on this topic. 

Sorry Rob, I forgot.

::)
Thread Killer