Author Topic: Troponin Nutrition & MMA?  (Read 11870 times)

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
Troponin Nutrition & MMA?
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »
Unf**kingreal.

You guys are trying to cash-in on the MMA scene? Wow, "we as MMA fighters." ::)

Troponin Nutrition expands and diversifies

Troponin Nutrition will now be offering our nutrition consulting services to the MMA community with specialized plans geared towards fighters. We will be offering customized plans for fighters looking to add muscular weight, fighters looking to lose bodyfat, and a special ‘final weeks’ plan for making weight then recomping back to optimal fighting condition.

We’ll be adding some new Protege nutritionists who will be offering the new MMA plans as well as our traditional Troponin offseason, progressive, precontest, and training plans.
Look for these new guys to be added to the site in the next week or two, in conjunction with a complete overhaul of our current website (www.troponinnutrition.co m).

In addition, we have a short article (see below) coming out in the next issue of Tapout Magazine (www.tapoutmagazine.com and www.mmaworldwide.com) on carb cycling and a brief introduction to its application for MMA athletes. This magazine can be purchased at any major bookstore such as Border’s or Barnes and Noble.

Feel free to PM or email with any questions, and stay tuned for additional updates.

Cheers,
Shelby Starnes

bigguns23

• Getbig IV
Re: Troponin Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »
Unf**kingreal.

And you woud be who ???

io856

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
get over it

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »
get over it

It's just hilarious.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »
Cool. Translation = we will totally help you out with the right drug stack.
HAHA, RON.....

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:16:22 PM »
Cool. Translation = we will totally help you out with the right drug stack.

Also, we will teach you how to make your weight through water depletion so you will have no energy or cardio for your fight.  ::)

The Coach

Re: Troponin Nutrition & MMA?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
Sorry guys, but I've trained MMA guys for along time and the last thing I thought about was putting on "muscular weight" my goal has always to get them as functionally powerful and strong (in that order) as fuck, size just a natural thing with this kind of training. Carb cycling seems to me just a selling point to get in the market. Truth is, if you drop carbs they way these guys train 2-3 hours at a time it would be not only foolish but naive thinking. If a trainer knows his fighter he should know when the fight is to prepare the periodization and that includes having enough time to drop weight without losing energy and getting fatigued while training.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:11:13 PM »
Sorry guys, but I've trained MMA guys for along time and the last thing I thought about was putting on "muscular weight" my goal has always to get them as functionally powerful and strong (in that order) as fuck, size just a natural thing with this kind of training. Carb cycling seems to me just a selling point to get in the market. Truth is, if you drop carbs they way these guys train 2-3 hours at a time it would be not only foolish but naive thinking. If a trainer knows his fighter he should know when the fight is to prepare the periodization and that includes having enough time to drop weight without losing energy and getting fatigued while training.

You hit several nails on the head, sir. Well said.
HAHA, RON.....

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »
One thing I've learned over the years with my clients and athletes is most don't care about the scientific bullshit, I could talk science, give them case studies on why I do the things I do till I'm blue in face....they dont give a shit, they just want to be trained, period. I see this with Troponin, dude knows his stuff for the most part but reality is people dont care about science, they just want to know what you can do for them. If they ask why, then tell them. Long story short, tell them the why's and how but if you start baffling them with scientific BS....you lose them and that can basically care less.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »
Unf**kingreal.

Our MMA branch is led by Shelby Starnes and Mike Hanley.

Shelby has trained at Sitpholek Muay Thai Gym in Pattaya, Thailand.
He's also trained under Matee Jedeepitak at Warrior Way, in Michigan. 

Mike owns "the Training Studio" and "Hanley Strength Systems" in NJ. 

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:46 AM »
Let's just tell it like it really is guys..

Troponin Nutrition will now be offering our nutrition consulting services to the MMA community with specialized plans geared towards fighters. We will be

offering customized plans for fighters looking to add muscular weight, *cough* High protein & Steroids fighters looking to lose bodyfat,

*cough* reduced calories, cardio, and steroids
and a special ‘final weeks’ plan for making weight taking diuretics, then

recomping back to optimal fighting condition.
adding all that fluid back into the body in a short period of time without killing yourself.

BuffD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:57:17 AM »
Let's just tell it like it really is guys..

Troponin Nutrition will now be offering our nutrition consulting services to the MMA community with specialized plans geared towards fighters. We will be

offering customized plans for fighters looking to add muscular weight, *cough* High protein & Steroids fighters looking to lose bodyfat,

*cough* reduced calories, cardio, and steroids
and a special ‘final weeks’ plan for making weight taking diuretics, then

recomping back to optimal fighting condition.
adding all that fluid back into the body in a short period of time without killing yourself.

Thats funny.  I've worked with Trop for 4yrs and never once got any roid advice.  I know several others that have worked with other Trop guys and they haven't gotten gear advice either.  Oh well you would know better then me right  ::)

Stavios

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 07:07:19 AM »
Thats funny.  I've worked with Trop for 4yrs and never once got any roid advice.  I know several others that have worked with other Trop guys and they haven't gotten gear advice either.  Oh well you would know better then me right  ::)

So fucking true.
Roids are not so complicated that you need someone to build you complicated cycles, that's what people fail to understand.

nutrition is more complex (and not super complicated either, you just need someone with a good eye who knows where you need to be at X weeks out)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 07:08:08 AM »
MMA is a sport with some good money in recent years.

There's no doubt their if their athletes can improve performance by 1%, it can make a big difference in winnings.

There's no doubt that good nutrition can help athletes peak and perform better, easily giving them a 1% edge or better.

I've read the MMA boards - they have extensive nutrition and supplementation areas, and many of the members are clueless as to what they should be eating.  I'm surprised more nutrition experts aren't tapping this growing market.  

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »
Our MMA branch is led by Shelby Starnes and Mike Hanley.

Shelby has trained at Sitpholek Muay Thai Gym in Pattaya, Thailand.
He's also trained under Matee Jedeepitak at Warrior Way, in Michigan. 

Mike owns "the Training Studio" and "Hanley Strength Systems" in NJ. 

So, he recommends his fighters to "carb cycle?"

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:33 AM »

There's no doubt their if their athletes can improve performance by 1%, it can make a big difference in winnings.

There's no doubt that good nutrition can help athletes peak and perform better, easily giving them a 1% edge or better.

I've read the MMA boards - they have extensive nutrition and supplementation areas, and many of the members are clueless as to what they should be eating.  I'm surprised more nutrition experts aren't tapping this growing market.  

Those fighters train completely different than bodybuilders. Brock Lenser eats whatever he can because he burns so many calories from training. He eats a cheeseburger, french fries and a coke after training. Advertising "carb cycling" to MMA fighters is horrible advice.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 07:23:10 AM »
Those fighters train completely different than bodybuilders. Brock Lenser eats whatever he can because he burns so many calories from training. He eats a cheeseburger, french fries and a coke after training. Advertising "carb cycling" to MMA fighters is horrible advice.

Are you saying that Brock Lesnar wouldn't benefit even 1% if that cheeseburger was replaced with a lean chicken breast?  Are you saying that he would benefit zero from proper nutrition?

Just because he's a great fighter while eating junk food, doesn't mean he wouldn't be an even better fighter with proper nutrition.

Or are you saying that proper nutrition benefits athletes in every sport EXCEPT mma, which happens to be probably the most taxing sport of all of them?  Come on dude.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 07:27:20 AM »

I've read the MMA boards - they have extensive nutrition and supplementation areas, and many of the members are clueless as to what they should be eating.  I'm surprised more nutrition experts aren't tapping this growing market.  

A pretty well thought out and sound argument Rob!

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »
Are you saying that Brock Lesnar wouldn't benefit even 1% if that cheeseburger was replaced with a lean chicken breast?  Are you saying that he would benefit zero from proper nutrition?

Just because he's a great fighter while eating junk food, doesn't mean he wouldn't be an even better fighter with proper nutrition.

Or are you saying that proper nutrition benefits athletes in every sport EXCEPT mma, which happens to be probably the most taxing sport of all of them?  Come on dude.

He's trying to keep his weight and strength up, not lose it. I think Lesner knows a little more about nutrition than you. Again, these fighters train much differently than bodybuilders.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 07:50:19 AM »
So fucking true.
Roids are not so complicated that you need someone to build you complicated cycles, that's what people fail to understand.

nutrition is more complex (and not super complicated either, you just need someone with a good eye who knows where you need to be at X weeks out)

GOOD boy,play nice and you won't get hurt,and you will earn your trophy.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »

So say you added in T3 at some point in your prep this isn't something you would discuss with him? It would seem like something he'd want to know. Also wouldn't he want to know if you were on GH? None of this came up ever?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »
He's trying to keep his weight and strength up, not lose it. I think Lesner knows a little more about nutrition than you. Again, these fighters train much differently than bodybuilders.

You're discredint yourself, marr Kerr.

1) Any nutritionist worth his money will tell you that proper nutrition helps you keep your weight and strength up WAY more than fast food calories.

2) I would guess that lesnar does NOT know a great deal about nutrition, if he's competing in pro leve athletics and still eating coke and fries before competing.  He's costing himself a lot of money by doing this.  How did Brock do in the NFL again? ;)  (He played for the Minnesota Vikings, before being cut from the team for no-showing at practices due to injuries.)

3) Of course fighters train much differently than bodybuilders.  However you will not find a SINGLE nutritionist out there who will tell you that burgers/fries are superior to clean foods for sports performance.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »

3) Of course fighters train much differently than bodybuilders.  However you will not find a SINGLE nutritionist out there who will tell you that burgers/fries are superior to clean foods for sports performance.

Depends on the sport. Everyone knows fats and 'heavy' foods in general help strength. Are you going to feel stronger eating a fatty steak with fries or chicken and broccoli? I don't know shit about fighting but I know I would rather eat a crap meal before a strenuous activity than a very 'clean' meal.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 08:12:43 AM »
Depends on the sport. Everyone knows fats and 'heavy' foods in general help strength. Are you going to feel stronger eating a fatty steak with fries or chicken and broccoli? I don't know shit about fighting but I know I would rather eat a crap meal before a strenuous activity than a very 'clean' meal.

I'm sure the experts can tell us which carbs and other macros will keep you from gassing while in a 9-minute struggle for life/death on the floor while being punched. 

I'm sure cheeseburgers aren't on the list.

Mark Kerr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 08:15:35 AM »
You're discredint yourself, marr Kerr.

1) Any nutritionist worth his money will tell you that proper nutrition helps you keep your weight and strength up WAY more than fast food calories.

2) I would guess that lesnar does NOT know a great deal about nutrition, if he's competing in pro leve athletics and still eating coke and fries before competing.  He's costing himself a lot of money by doing this.  How did Brock do in the NFL again? ;)  (He played for the Minnesota Vikings, before being cut from the team for no-showing at practices due to injuries.)

Maybe you should email Brock and let him know he needs to learn how to eat properly. I think you are showing your ignorance here. If you are trying to gain weight, and keep your weight up, they will. Again, these guys do a lot more training than just 40 minutes of weight training and 20 minutes on the treadmill.