Author Topic: Low Carb/Keto lifestyle for skinny fat and endos?  (Read 29901 times)

Erik C

• Getbig IV
Re: Low Carb/Keto lifestyle for skinny fat and endos?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »
yeah.... seems like a Vince Gironda type diet. Except even he recommended that type of eating only be done for 4-6 weeks at a time from what I remember.

It's a diet Gironda was always on. Today you would call it Paleo or Atkins or Keto, but low carb and high fat diet for life, to cut the body fat, and keep it off, and for building real muscle tissue, that will stick around after you stop your routines. Drug built bodies shrink to nothingness after you stop your routines.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 11:54:44 AM »
It's a diet Gironda was always on. Today you would call it Paleo or Atkins or Keto, but low carb and high fat diet for life, to cut the body fat, and keep it off, and for building real muscle tissue, that will stick around after you stop your routines. Drug built bodies shrink to nothingness after you stop your routines.

I dont believe Vince ever cared about counting calories but what are your thoughts when doing this type of lifestyle diet? Eat 6 meals vs eating only when hungry? I think Vince only ate 2x a day on the steak and eggs diet

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
Carbs make you fat indirectly, as they themselves rarely get turned into fat.

What happens is that in a caloric surplus you run out glycogen storage space. So, the the glucose stays in your blood. High blood sugar is toxic. So, the body prioritizes the burning of carbs for energy at rest, when it normally would be burning fat, which ends up getting stored, as the storage capacity for fat in the body is, for all intents, unlimited.

Same with alcohol, which has no storage area in the body. So, if you're drinking a lot, the alcohol gets burned first, then the carbs, and if there's a caloric surplus the fat gets stored.

At the end of the day, it's still a calorie game.

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »
good reality check!

Posted by a man who talks the talk and walks the walk.

Thanks Howard. I've been in ketosis twice when I was preping for roughly 3 weeks each time and I can tell you it was miserable. Maybe some people can do it. But for me there is no way I could year round

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:14 PM »
Carbs make you fat indirectly, as they themselves rarely get turned into fat.

What happens is that in a caloric surplus you run out glycogen storage space. So, the the glucose stays in your blood. High blood sugar is toxic. So, the body prioritizes the burning of carbs for energy at rest, when it normally would be burning fat, which ends up getting stored, as the storage capacity for fat in the body is, for all intents, unlimited.

Same with alcohol, which has no storage area in the body. So, if you're drinking a lot, the alcohol gets burned first, then the carbs, and if there's a caloric surplus the fat gets stored.

At the end of the day, it's still a calorie game.
THIS,,and chuck the scale away..lower or play with calories,,protein is main goal to maintain/hold.use the mirror or pics to stay motivated.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
I dont believe Vince ever cared about counting calories but what are your thoughts when doing this type of lifestyle diet? Eat 6 meals vs eating only when hungry? I think Vince only ate 2x a day on the steak and eggs diet

Gironda ate often but not full meals. He believed in protein every four hours, around the clock. He had people set alarm clocks, so they woke up in the middle of the night to eat some protein. Of course the "protein" he recommended was Blair's, and that was half whole egg powder, so plenty of fat too, and mixed with heavy cream or half and half.

Fat people count calories. As Larry Scott said, about eating protein (Blair's again) we didn't measure it, we just shoveled it in. He used about two pounds of Blair's per day, plus his other meals, and developed his arms to 21+" before he used roids.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
Gironda ate often but not full meals. He believed in protein every four hours, around the clock. He had people set alarm clocks, so they woke up in the middle of the night to eat some protein. Of course the "protein" he recommended was Blair's, and that was half whole egg powder, so plenty of fat too, and mixed with heavy cream or half and half.

Fat people count calories. As Larry Scott said, about eating protein (Blair's again) we didn't measure it, we just shoveled it in. He used about two pounds of Blair's per day, plus his other meals, and developed his arms to 21+" before he used roids.

any protein powders you like and feel are old school quality nowadays?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »
Well think long term and being a bigger version of what you are now. By summer. If you keep changing strategies everytime you gain or lose weight, you will end up the same.

Good luck, read up in the nutrition section perhaps. Something tells me you can top up some knowledge there!

Like the other poster said though, about lou ferrigno...is any of this weight gain beneficial? Its probably just all fat gain

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
Like the other poster said though, about lou ferrigno...is any of this weight gain beneficial? Its probably just all fat gain

If you're eating a ton of calories, most of it will be in the form of carbs or fat. How much tuna in water, egg whites or skinless chicken breast can you eat?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
If you're eating a ton of calories, most of it will be in the form of carbs or fat. How much tuna in water, egg whites or skinless chicken breast can you eat?

Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram. Fat is 9 calories per gram. To do keto successfully you need to eat a lot of fat. For instance, sour cream is about 950 calories per pint, mostly fat and protein, and less than 10% lactose, a carb. When you eat a lot of fat, it is easy to eat a lot of calories. Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating carbs is what makes you fat.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram. Fat is 9 calories per gram. To do keto successfully you need to eat a lot of fat. For instance, sour cream is about 950 calories per pint, mostly fat and protein, and less than 10% lactose, a carb. When you eat a lot of fat, it is easy to eat a lot of calories. Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating carbs is what makes you fat.

This argument comes down to semantics. On a very low carb diet it's almost impossible to get into a caloric surplus. Again, how much cheese can you eat without crackers or bread? How many egg yolks can you eat?Sour cream?

So, a low carb diet is for all intents a low calorie diet.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »

::)

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »
This argument comes down to semantics. On a very low carb diet it's almost impossible to get into a caloric surplus. Again, how much cheese can you eat without crackers or bread? How many egg yolks can you eat?Sour cream?

Careful here... Too much protein can spike insulin, saying cals don't count is purely retarded.
?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »

This whole "is it fat gain" no offense, drop the pussy like attitude right now. This reminds me of people insist on gaining nothing but "lean body mass" and are impossible to coach.

Don't be your own worst enemy..
?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »

No It Is Not, unless you eat very little of everything. A keto diet, if you're not anorexic, Is High fat, High protein and Very Low Carb lifestyle. Eating a lot of fat = eating a lot of calories, as I pointed out fats have 9 calories per gram, more than twice as many calories as carbs. You can't eat things without eating carbs too, because you suffer from a carb addiction, as do most Americans. Remember there are essentially fatty acids, fats, and essential amino acids, proteins, and there are no essential carbohydrates, none! You don't need carbs for health and fitness, regardless of what agribusiness tells you.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 01:45:25 PM »
Careful here... Too much protein can spike insulin, saying cals don't count is purely retarded.

Protein doesn't spike insulin higher than carbs do, and fats don't spike insulin very high at all. The more carbs you eat, the more insulin is released and the more fat the body produces. If you are a sedentary person, protein might add body fat, but an active hard working person won't have problems, as long as their diet is extremely low in carbs.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
Protein doesn't spike insulin higher than carbs do, and fats don't spike insulin very high at all. The more carbs you eat, the more insulin is released and the more fat the body produces. If you are a sedentary person, protein might add body fat, but an active hard working person won't have problems, as long as their diet is extremely low in carbs.

why spike it in the first place? You're giving out  a free pass in terms of calories, if you seriously think that is good adice, so be it. I think it flat out sucks.

To him to decide who is talking logical here.

Dr Scott Conelly has said too much protein can spike insulin Dr Maur Padisquale (sp) as well. If you're gonna spike insulin, may as well do it with carbs as they taste so much better and make you feel good, keep you full....
?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 02:00:40 PM »
why spike it in the first place? You're giving out  a free pass in terms of calories, if you seriously think that is good adice, so be it. I think it flat out sucks.

To him to decide who is talking logical here.

Dr Scott Conelly has said too much protein can spike insulin Dr Maur Padisquale (sp) as well. If you're gonna spike insulin, may as well do it with carbs as they taste so much better and make you feel good, keep you full....

I told you that carbs spike insulin higher than protein. That's the one of the problems with carbs creating fat creating  body fat. The other problem is that carbs aren't essential for human health and fitness, so there is no reason to eat them at all.

Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale was a proponent of the high fat/low carb diet, (along with Vince Gironda), see his books THE ANABOLIC DIET, and THE METABOLIC DIET.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
Thyroid is good, on TRT. Actually cycling right now on just adex and 700mg of cyp.
Cardio, hiit and jogging. Full body lifts 3 x a week. Im not eating clean, but its mainly rice, tilapia, beef and sweet potatoz. Cheat meal a couple times a week. I seriously think its just genetics at this point, ive been thick skinned my entire life

By your own admission:

"Im not eating clean, cheat a few times a week, I think it's just genetics, I've always been thick skinned...."

This isn't genetics brother, you've just never actually had a proper diet not consisting of shit and you've never suffered. End of thread!

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »
OLd school answer: keep training and stop eating.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:39 PM »
No It Is Not, unless you eat very little of everything. A keto diet, if you're not anorexic, Is High fat, High protein and Very Low Carb lifestyle. Eating a lot of fat = eating a lot of calories, as I pointed out fats have 9 calories per gram, more than twice as many calories as carbs. You can't eat things without eating carbs too, because you suffer from a carb addiction, as do most Americans. Remember there are essentially fatty acids, fats, and essential amino acids, proteins, and there are no essential carbohydrates, none! You don't need carbs for health and fitness, regardless of what agribusiness tells you.

I'm aware that fat has 9 calories per gram, but fat is very satiating. You can't eat that much of it.

Moreover, carbs aren't stored as fat, but as glycogen. Fat is stored as fat, the exception being de novo lipogenesis, which is a very minor pathway.

If carbs alone make you fat, why is that in poor countries, where the diet consists mainly of carbs in the form of rice, that there is little obesity?

Answer: In these countries, the people are barely getting enough calories to maintain their metabolism. In a rich country like America, the rice, bread, pasta etc puts people in a caloric surplus.

Where is Adonis when I need him? ;D

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »

You just don't know how to send up a proper TA-Alert...

"I have too much willpower to eat dessert. It's not important to me"

That oughta do it.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
I'm aware that fat has 9 calories per gram, but fat is very satiating. You can't eat that much of it.

Moreover, carbs aren't stored as fat, but as glycogen. Fat is stored as fat, the exception being de novo lipogenesis, which is a very minor pathway.

If carbs alone make you fat, why is that in poor countries, where the diet consists mainly of carbs in the form of rice, that there is little obesity?

Answer: In these countries, the people are barely getting enough calories to maintain their metabolism. In a rich country like America, the rice, bread, pasta etc puts people in a caloric surplus.

And you won't find a great set of abs in poor countries either, because their bodies hoard what little fat they get on their stomachs. Carbs create skinny fat, answering the OP's question.

It doesn't take many carb calories to top off your glycogen stores, and the rest, if you don't burn it immediately for energy, is turned to fat.

Maybe if you worked out correctly and harder, you would develop an appetite?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »
And you won't find a great set of abs in poor countries either, because their bodies hoard what little fat they get on their stomachs. Carbs create skinny fat, answering the OP's question.

It doesn't take many carb calories to top off your glycogen stores, and the rest, if you don't burn it immediately for energy, is turned to fat.

Maybe if you worked out correctly and harder, you would develop an appetite?

Yes carbs can make skinny fat, BUT!... If timed as I suggested, they become your friend!!!! A little Na-R-ala with them if need be and all is good.

Why suffer through keto? That if for guys willing to do shows, no regulars gym rats. It's not sustainable at all, ya make a mistake, you feel all messed up then gotta get back into ketosis again.

Pure living hell. Not to mention feeling like pure utter shit.

?

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
Fellow at my gym has been getting shredded on a keto diet.   He tells me he's eating mostly ground beef, cheese, deviled eggs, nuts, and apparently 8 tablespoons of avacado oil a day for extra fats.