Author Topic: 🤡 Joker - This movie looks very good - October 2019  (Read 186604 times)

LanceD

• Getbig III
Re: Joker - This movie looks very good - October 2019
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2019, 11:22:33 PM »

Why did it suck? Why post?

How would you be surprised that this was a slow, dark, violent movie? Doesn't even make sense if you know anything about the character or saw a trailer. Baffling really.

Have you seen the movie?
It was dreadfully slow, dark, not for children of any age.
If you knew the Joker, he is nothing like the Joker.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2019, 11:36:45 PM »
It's a white guy anti-hero, who actually winds up standing up for himself and others in a twisted way. You can't have that anymore.

It actually works better as a social justice film. The whole film is about a sickly boy, who grows up to be a sickly man, beaten down by a social system that cares more about profit than actually making people well. Most of the victims in the film are rich white men or authority figures.

----------------------------------------

One of the major relationships is definitely in his head, and when he figures it out, you'll see more of a change in him. I don't think it was all imagination, but there were certainly delusions.

This is another area where you'll see the "Taxi Driver" influence. There is a faction of film buffs that think Bickle was having one big delusion, and the story never happened. There are also those that wonder "What if Bickle took a more violent turn?" or if Bickle would be content with the cool hero status he receives at the end of the film or would he mentally break down further? Well the Joker sorta runs with some of those themes, albeit in a more fantastical setting.

It's a good film.  

Is it clear what is imagination and what is real, or could everything be imagination?

Did he not have a relationship? Did people not bully him? Was he never a clown?
Q

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
Joker is a homicidal maniac pretty much always has been.  This version wasn't as cornball as some comic incarnations of the Joker and he wasn't as heavily stylized as the Heath Ledger Joker.  It was just what I wanted.

I love on location shooting.  I absolutely hate sound stage movies and green screen.  This movie felt even more real to me than The Dark Knight......and I really liked that.

A Joker movie that was made for kids is of no interest to me.  To each their own though.  This is what I like, but it doesn't bother me if other people don't like it.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2019, 02:58:15 AM »
Have you seen the movie?

That's why it is an adult movie.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2019, 04:13:25 AM »
The worst movie ever, slow, dark, and violent. Terrible.

Why all the blood though?
X

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2019, 04:37:21 AM »
I understand some people left the movie early because of the violence  :'(

I left the movie early but not because of the violence  ::)

I was looking forward to the movie and had high hopes because it kept referencing King of Comedy which is one of my favorite films.

I left the movie early because once I become aware that my "suspension of disbelief" has been burst, I can no longer enjoy a film.  And that's what happened during the scene at the television program near the end.  It was just plain stupid to me and unbelievable (in a bad way).

So I left.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2019, 05:41:38 AM »

Hahahaha. Rated R movie snowflake.

I was obviously joking. I thought it was a fantastic movie.

What I liked most was his body language—it was creepy in a compelling way.
X

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2019, 05:46:26 AM »
I understand some people left the movie early because of the violence  :'(

I left the movie early but not because of the violence  ::)

I was looking forward to the movie and had high hopes because it kept referencing King of Comedy which is one of my favorite films.

I left the movie early because once I become aware that my "suspension of disbelief" has been burst, I can no longer enjoy a film.  And that's what happened during the scene at the television program near the end.  It was just plain stupid to me and unbelievable (in a bad way).

So I left.

Good job Spartacus, you left like 2 minutes early.   ;D

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2019, 06:08:45 AM »
So is it very violent? The trailer made it look like he was going to be humiliated and have his ass kicked but didn't hit at any real blood and guts stuff.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2019, 06:21:03 AM »
Is it clear what is imagination and what is real, or could everything be imagination?

Did he not have a relationship? Did people not bully him? Was he never a clown?

Can't say without spoilers, but the parts that seem the most delusional clearly unfold that way for the most part as the film goes along.

So is it very violent? The trailer made it look like he was going to be humiliated and have his ass kicked but didn't hit at any real blood and guts stuff.

Violent, but not gory. Pretty standard film murders, perhaps 10 - 12 people die throughout the whole film, most in pretty quick scenes.  

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »
The violence of this movie is an interesting topic.  There isn't that much violence, but the violence is realistic and so it affects you differently than your standard action film violence.

The movie Commando, for example, has an obscene amount of killing in it.  For some reason that's fun.  It doesn't feel like really human beings getting getting murdered.

Joker does.  It's a very angry deranged person taking out a lifetime of frustration out on a few people.  For me it felt very real.  This movie was borderline scary.  This isn't a comic book movie, it's a real movie.

Yes it's slow.......but I like slow movies.  It's a slow build and in my opinion it was handled masterfully.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »
Have you seen the movie?

Yes, of course I saw it. I wouldn't be talking about it otherwise.

Again, not a PG movie to beat a dead horse silly.

Not like the Joker? I've seen every Batman movie in the theater. Every Batman 60s show. Frank Miller comics. Be gone.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
The violence of this movie is an interesting topic.  There isn't that much violence, but the violence is realistic and so it affects you differently than your standard action film violence.

The movie Commando, for example, has an obscene amount of killing in it.  For some reason that's fun.  It doesn't feel like really human beings getting getting murdered.

Joker does.  It's a very angry deranged person taking out a lifetime of frustration out on a few people.  For me it felt very real.  This movie was borderline scary.  This isn't a comic book movie, it's a real movie.

Yes it's slow.......but I like slow movies.  It's a slow build and in my opinion it was handled masterfully.

That's what I was hoping, a slow burn and then a proper pay-off at the end when he finally becomes The Joker.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2019, 08:16:10 AM »
Can't say without spoilers, but the parts that seem the most delusional clearly unfold that way for the most part as the film goes along.

Violent, but not gory. Pretty standard film murders, perhaps 10 - 12 people die throughout the whole film, most in pretty quick scenes.  

Cool, thanks for the response bro. When I saw the trailer I was worried the whole thing would just be him getting victimised with no actual portrayal of The Joker as we know him.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2019, 08:34:19 AM »
Thanks to each of your pro and con remarks .... I guess I'll go and see The Joker now!

I was somewhat reluctant to go and see it this weekend because someone said someone was gonna shoot me... (as if I hadn't heard that one before!)

So I stayed home and watched 'WILD CARD' which I actually enjoyed.

And hereby rcommend it.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
Thanks to each of your pro and con remarks .... I guess I'll go and see The Joker now!

I was somewhat reluctant to go and see it this weekend because someone said someone was gonna shoot me... (as if I hadn't heard that one before!)

So I stayed home and watched 'WILD CARD' which I actually enjoyed.

And hereby rcommend it.

Fuck, he musnt have liked it to want to shoot you for going....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2019, 10:05:35 AM »
JOS, The 'he' was many 'he's" and I was not the specific target .... but according to some violence claims during the showing of this movie ... here in Las Vegas each theater provided extra security/protection.

But as far as I know ... no one got killed in any LV theater this past weekend.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
JOS, The 'he' was many 'he's" and I was not the specific target .... but according to some violence claims during the showing of this movie ... here in Las Vegas each theater provided extra security/protection.

But as far as I know ... no one got killed in any LV theater this past weekend.
hahaha sorry, my mistake

Big Tex C*ckburn, PhD

• Getbig II
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2019, 10:41:48 AM »
Saw it earlier. Very good movie. It's clearly heavily inspired by Taxi Driver, but it doesn't have the same impact. Taxi Driver hits like a train; this doesn't as it lacks the realism, but it highlights important issues and breathes new life into a boring genre. Great acting, too. They took a risk in making this in today's victimhood culture and they deserve a lot of credit for doing so.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
Saw it earlier. Very good movie. It's clearly heavily inspired by Taxi Driver, but it doesn't have the same impact. Taxi Driver hits like a train; this doesn't as it lacks the realism, but it highlights important issues and breathes new life into a boring genre. Great acting, too. They took a risk in making this in today's victimhood culture and they deserve a lot of credit for doing so.

seems to me they just stole the plot of Taxi Driver...

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
Style over substance, but fantastic style! Every time the joker is walking anywhere, we get pounding, ominous music, and a variety of shots. Yet you step back and realize its a crazy guy that lives with his mother walking down the street to his dead end job. The movie would stay an introspective portrait of mental illness until an awkward and forced plot twist gives the movie some legs. Sorry if this is a spoiler, but the basic backdrop of the movie is that a crazy guy in a clown mask who talks to himself on the bus and laughs uncontrollably gets fucked with all the time on the street by bullies, until he shoots and kills some assholes bullying and beating him up on the subway. When the news reports that the deceased were rich stock assholes or something that worked for Wayne industries, the entire city begins putting on clown masks and chanting "Kill the rich", because of a depressed economy, making the nutcase a cult, underground hero, sort of in the traditional of Natural Born Killers, but without the good script, logical plot points and character development. But if you can just sit back with popcorn(especially with a little cannabis butter on it), you will get into a very strong method performance by Phoenix, and a VERY good musical score and direction, that creates an intensity that carries the film when the script cannot.

By the way, as several have mentioned, the film HEAVILY borrows from its ancestors like King of Comedy, Taxi Driver and even Network. Even an implicit reference to Bernard Goetz and the subway murders of the 80s.

Big Tex C*ckburn, PhD

• Getbig II
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2019, 11:46:56 AM »
seems to me they just stole the plot of Taxi Driver...

Kinda. Taxi Driver is my favourite film, but it's hard to try and make any articulate points about the comparison without sitting down and thinking about it. I guess it's more like they paid close attention to what it was about Taxi Driver that hit people so hard and then tried to apply it to something a little different. They didn't quite pull it off but there's some obvious imitations of Travis Bickle and the sudden bursts of explicit violence that made the film so controversial at the time. I could see how some people might worry about it making already maladjusted Getbiggers go spastic, but it raises some important points about mental illness. Def worth a watch.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »
Kinda. Taxi Driver is my favourite film, but it's hard to try and make any articulate points about the comparison without sitting down and thinking about it. I guess it's more like they paid close attention to what it was about Taxi Driver that hit people so hard and then tried to apply it to something a little different. They didn't quite pull it off but there's some obvious imitations of Travis Bickle and the sudden bursts of explicit violence that made the film so controversial at the time. I could see how some people might worry about it making already maladjusted Getbiggers go spastic, but it raises some important points about mental illness. Def worth a watch.
Travis slow decent into madness... seems to be the plot

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2019, 11:23:27 PM »

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2019, 01:30:10 AM »
I really liked the movie. And I especially loved that no little children were kicking the  movie theatre seats.