Author Topic: Getbig Luxury Watch Thread - what do you got?  (Read 6387 times)

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
Re: Do we have a getbig luxury watch thread?
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2023, 10:23:28 AM »
The scam with luxury goods is they intentionally restrict supply so there is a scarcity factor and then sell at an inflated price. This includes Rolex.

Just because you can sell a Rolex on for profit doesn't change the nature of what it actually is. It's a scam just like how something like the housing market is.

Are you a home owner?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2023, 10:25:08 AM »
The scam with luxury goods is they intentionally restrict supply so there is a scarcity factor and then sell at an inflated price. This includes Rolex.

Just because you can sell a Rolex on for profit doesn't change the nature of what it actually is. It's a scam just like how something like the housing market is.

True.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »
Are you a home owner?

I own several homes across 3 different countries.

mops

• Getbig IV
  • Never make snow angels in a dog park
Re: Getbig Luxury Watch Thread - what do you got?
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2023, 11:07:11 AM »
The scam with luxury goods is they intentionally restrict supply so there is a scarcity factor and then sell at an inflated value. This includes Rolex.

Lately, Rolex has been pushing this practice to absurd levels. As a result, many long-time fans completely lost interest in their products, which doesn't seem to matter to them at all.

The major problem with Rolex is that the company is owned by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation - a charitable trust that pays zero taxes to the Swiss Gov.

Consequently, Rolex doesn’t answer to a publicly known board with a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders. Little is known about their real strategies and goals for that reason.

A very succesful & secretive brand that takes advantage of whatever opportunities it finds profitable or interesting (opportunities that may, sometimes, only pay off in the long run....)

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2023, 11:15:12 AM »
I own several homes across 3 different countries.

A true Getbigger

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2023, 02:18:49 PM »
I remember when I fell in love with watches, my dad always had a Rolex growing up and I always loved it but I was walking thru filenes basement one day when I was 16 and saw an ad for a tag heuer 2000 if I remember correctly and it was 499.00 I went home and counted my money and I had 350ish saved up so I mowed a bunch of neighbors lawns and did some other stuff for a couple months and got the money and when back and bought it and I loved it. From there I went thru a couple more tags and then a breitling super avenger, then an omega and a movado here or there.

Then I bought my first Rolex, a used 1978 datejust for 1000.00, and my love of Rolex started and I’ve studied everything about Rolex there is to study. I can talk Rolex with the best of them. The Ads don’t even know what I’m talking about when we are talking cause they know fuck all. I am impressed with mops this guy knows his shit about most watches it seems.

So I have a long history with watches and it was and still is not about the money, it’s just awesome that the brand I happen to love is a no loss situation so you can play and have no fear of loss.watches are a big passion of mine as much as lifting weights.

Rob

I had a really good conversation with you a few years back about this - don't know if you'd recall?  I had some money coming due to me, and I was thinking of a watch - I sort of settled on a Milgauss (liking the engineering) but in the end had second thoughts as I have wide wrists and it's pretty delicate (38mm maybe?).  Instead I used the money to build a small collection of Seiko automatic divers and Casio Frogmen (digital).  All of which have held or increased in value - nothing like Rolex though LOL - things like a couple of these Seiko 6139 'Pogues' - they just keep appreciating as time goes on due to age.  I've got a 6105 'Willard' too.  And the Casio's were limited addition so will only ever go up in price too (these are stock photos, not of mine)

I try to get JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) originals for these for the cool points where possible - makes import tax a bitch though

Still love the idea of a Rolex one day, but pretty sure I'll never be able to afford my Grail watch!! (6538 big crown on 16mm Royal Engineers Nato strap) ;D

T

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2023, 03:32:36 PM »
Longines and Hamilton’s are also cool if you want an American Mechanical

mops

• Getbig IV
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »
Longines and Hamilton’s are also cool if you want an American Mechanical

Both Hamilton & Longines use Swiss ETA movements.

The Swatch Group owns ETA, Hamilton, and Longines.

mops

• Getbig IV
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »

Still love the idea of a Rolex one day, but pretty sure I'll never be able to afford my Grail watch!! (6538 big crown on 16mm Royal Engineers Nato strap) ;D

Legend has it that it was either Connery's or the director's personal Rolex on the set of Dr.No (1962)

In the novels, Rolex is vaguely mentioned by Ian Fleming in "Thunderball" ( 1961), and "On her Majesty's secret service." (1963) - a Rolex with "big phosphorus numerals" worn on an expanding metal bracelet, allowing it to be quickly removed and used as a knuckle duster (which is incredibly retarded...)

It is widly accepted as a Rolex Explorer I ref.1016, a watch that Fleming personally owned for a short period of time. ( the reference 1016 was introduced in 1963- Fleming passed away in 1964...)

BB related : James Bond is a balding man in Ian Fleming's officially commissioned image.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »
Legend has it that it was either Connery's or the director's personnal Rolex on the set of Dr.No (1962)

In the novels, Rolex is vaguely mentioned by Ian Fleming in "Thunderball" ( 1961), and "On her Majesty's secret service." (1963) - a Rolex with "big phosphorus numerals" worn on an expanding metal bracelet, allowing it to be quickly removed and used as a knuckle duster (which is incredibly retarded...)

It is widly accepted as a Rolex Explorer I ref.1016, a watch that Fleming personally owned for a short period of time. ( the reference 1016 was introduced in 1963- Fleming passed away in 1964...)

BB related : James Bond is a balding man in Ian Fleming's officially commissioned image.

Composer, singer and actor Hoagy Carmichael is also considered to be representative of what Fleming thought James Bond looked like. 

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2023, 03:02:49 AM »
Both Hamilton & Longines use Swiss ETA movements.

The Swatch Group owns ETA, Hamilton, and Longines.

Correct Longines is just Swiss but Hamilton was American originally then got Swiss movements the cases and original companies history were American. I think they went out of business and then got started up again. But the Hamilton is originally an American company. You see lots of antique Hamiltons in American thrift shops.

I have been looking at watches for 2 days now need a new fancy watch like a hole in my head.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2023, 03:34:32 AM »
Legend has it that it was either Connery's or the director's personal Rolex on the set of Dr.No (1962)

Cool details - thanks  8)

IIRC something similar happened in Goldfinger - Directors watch, but Connery complained the metal bracelet was pinching his hairy arms  ;D, so they needed an alternative and ended up with that undersized NATO - looks weird when you know to look for it
T

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2023, 11:25:42 AM »
Tudor is owner by Rolex they are very comparable think Toyota and Lexus if anyone wants a two tone chrono for half the price.

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/tudor/black-bay-chrono-sandg-m79363n-0007-TDR0121105.html

Or some diamond bling two tone under 10k

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/black-bay-31-36-39-41/m79653-0005

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2023, 10:19:26 PM »
Tudor is owner by Rolex they are very comparable think Toyota and Lexus if anyone wants a two tone chrono for half the price.

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/tudor/black-bay-chrono-sandg-m79363n-0007-TDR0121105.html

Or some diamond bling two tone under 10k

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/black-bay-31-36-39-41/m79653-0005

Tudor will always be the “you should have gotten a Rolex” watch.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2023, 05:27:08 AM »
Tudor will always be the “you should have gotten a Rolex” watch.

My grandmother got my father one for his high school graduation engraved from 1959 that I still have so I am partial to them. It still works great. The two tone black Bay with a diamond Bezel is nice and about half the price of a comparably blinged out Rolex but yeah I get what you are saying. Does it say I couldn't afford a Rolex or does it say I got a good deal on a Rolex made Tudor watch maybe a little of both. Truth be told I have a watch and our kids might like to go to college but maybe I will get lucky and strike it big in collectable beanie babies. But yeah all gold watches are 40k plus two tones are 20k and the Tudor is under 10 for two tone gold with diamonds and honestly the quality is about the same.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2023, 01:52:22 PM »
My grandmother got my father one for his high school graduation engraved from 1959 that I still have so I am partial to them. It still works great. The two tone black Bay with a diamond Bezel is nice and about half the price of a comparably blinged out Rolex but yeah I get what you are saying. Does it say I couldn't afford a Rolex or does it say I got a good deal on a Rolex made Tudor watch maybe a little of both. Truth be told I have a watch and our kids might like to go to college but maybe I will get lucky and strike it big in collectable beanie babies. But yeah all gold watches are 40k plus two tones are 20k and the Tudor is under 10 for two tone gold with diamonds and honestly the quality is about the same.

The black bay doesn’t retain value as well.

And I can get a 116613lb for under 12k any day of the week.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2023, 01:54:12 PM »
The black bay doesn’t retain value as well.

And I can get a 116613lb for under 12k any day of the week.

that was a troll post for someone to pick up on the comment about having his dads watch

He probably found the watch up his ass after it came undone when his dad was fisting him.

unreasonablereasons

• Getbig III
  • Im King of the Slobs
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »

that was a troll post for someone to pick up on the comment about having his dads watch

He probably found the watch up his ass after it came undone when his dad was fisting him.

after reading all that narc supply stuff, and how exact it was to dinglenuts, I cant imagine what his dad did to him and how much repressed shit is stored in him after all these years of not dealing with shit. His ass must be like and exploded volcano, gaping wide  :-X

wazhazbin

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2023, 01:57:05 PM »
after reading all that narc supply stuff, and how exact it was to dinglenuts, I cant imagine what his dad did to him and how much repressed shit is stored in him after all these years of not dealing with shit. His ass must be like and exploded volcano, gaping wide  :-X

keister supply lmao

GymnJuice

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2023, 02:04:27 PM »

unreasonablereasons

• Getbig III
  • Im King of the Slobs
« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2023, 02:08:26 PM »

you have one kid, are you mental?
Im replying cause I really wanna get into this discussion about narcissistic supply and Brian. I know he wont talk about it, but Id like to hear theories on why he is so fucked up. I 100% believe his dad raped him, which in turn led to his lewd behavior to his brothers kids and a lifelong delusional thought process of what is said in the narc supply description. Ive NEVER, and i mean never come across as a more fucked up individual who thinks their life is normal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2023, 02:52:46 PM »
I get the love of fine watches. It's quality jewelry and top shelf engineering. It's also a status symbol of wealth. It's still jewelry. It's 2023 and your phone is dead accurate. I wear a watch when I go to weddings, funerals and the few other events that demand dressing up.

Rambone

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2023, 03:05:00 PM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2023, 03:10:08 PM »

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2023, 03:12:59 PM »
you have one kid, are you mental?
Im replying cause I really wanna get into this discussion about narcissistic supply and Brian. I know he wont talk about it, but Id like to hear theories on why he is so fucked up. I 100% believe his dad raped him, which in turn led to his lewd behavior to his brothers kids and a lifelong delusional thought process of what is said in the narc supply description. Ive NEVER, and i mean never come across as a more fucked up individual who thinks their life is normal.

Maybe this is the best approach to rid the forum of the kunt

He loses his mind when people call him a fag (closet homo self hatred)