Author Topic: Goudy/Ursus NEW improved training log  (Read 59497 times)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: John Goudy Training Thread: Started 26th July 08
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2008, 05:35:28 AM »
Thanks man. I dont really understand what you mean. I assume you mean about the bar being very close to my body. That is they way you should deadlift. Dragging it up your shins. This is something i am learning to do. As regards to form i am not exactly the greatest instructor or teacher. I try to keep good form and it looks pretty strict to me. maybe someone else could comment.

Thanks for 'The beast' lol

LMAO

i think he is referring to the fact you start the reverse motion (negative) by bending the knees first instead of the hips. (newbies tend to do that when told to keep the bar close lol)....i guess it doesnt matter that much (at least not until your start lifting really 'heavy') although it looks awkward.   :)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2008, 05:37:53 AM »
i think i just stumbled across tis technique whilst rehabing my back. i never purposely done it...just felt natural when i was worried about my back lol

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:22 AM »
i think i just stumbled across tis technique whilst rehabing my back. i never purposely done it...just felt natural when i was worried about my back lol

aha i understand..well i dont see any real dangers doing it that way...other than hitting the bar on the knees during the negative.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:38 AM »
old form pretty atrocious

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2008, 05:50:15 AM »
looking at your pics: you have a really massive frame (im guessing on drugs you would be absolutely huge, but i know you cant do drugs) with very good shoulders, upper back and arms.

need to work on chest, quads, hamstrings and calves.

maybe start doing straight leg deadlifts, more leg curls, and some glute ham raise stuff etc

to improve chest i think the best thing would to start your chest sessions with db presses then flye movements and maybe finish off with the bench press. i have seen some of your bench press videos, you are strong..but mostly benching with your strong shoulders and triceps.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2008, 05:54:48 AM »
correct...i get lazy on legs lol and started doing hams...starting to improve big time.

i am gonna up teh volume on leg day as by no means am i doing enough at all

yes i need to widen my grip to work my chest more as it is all my triceps and shoulders...this is probaly contributing to mu constant niggly tricep issues. i done it on ,my last set yesterday and felt so much easier.

also my dam tris are sore from skullcrushers lol feels good.

appreciate all your comments and criticisms mate. thanks

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »
old form pretty atrocious

yeah using that style you can often deadlift big weights but it tends to fuck up your lower back after awile. (ass very hight at the starting position).

if you wanna bodybuild for many years i would advice you not to push the deadlifts 100% (its a very good exercise..but it becomes too much of an ego exercise for some people)....lower back injuries can fuck you up for life and effect the training of all your body parts.

i have deadlifted 290kg at the most and probably could have done 10-20 kg more....but after that i got smart and thought to myself...im not doing powerlifting anymore...and no one else but me gives a shit what i can deadlift. i still use it as a tool but i just go moderately heavy these days. have to think about longevity too..

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »
as for elbows and skullcrushers: the golden rule is to always do pushdowns before the skullcrushers...and to keep the reps pretty high on the skullcrushers....its a great exercise..but alot of people who have been training 10+ cant do the exercise at all.

but u probably know this....

the hard thing is to keep the ego in check

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »
haha i was using just 100lbs and doing 8-12's obviously was easy but never done them so had to be careful. I also kept my elbows in and parallel to each other

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »
are you more into bodybuilding now or powerlifting?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:57 AM »
size but dont wnat to be big with no rela strength

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:20 AM »
size but dont wnat to be big with no rela strength

i can understand that...and obviously strength increases is the primary driver for growth, specially for us naturals. but if your into size..make sure to get the biggest size gains from the least amount as work (and strength increases) as possible...and utilize all possible 'progress avenues'.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2008, 06:32:09 AM »
I agree with everything SB said.

Your Deadlift form looks MUCH better.

8)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
slaveboy i appreiate all ur comments. Thanks man. I iwll do that

cheers on the deadlift props Overload.

Ill write my log later lol

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
note on the deadlift: if you're not aiming to have a 600 pound pull, then don't bother with it for the most part.

i 100% believe that you'll get more back development from doing BB rows with loose form than deadlifts, and you're less likely to hurt yourself.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »
i do both :)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »
Yesterday i was real busty and running about like crazy. Came to gym and never had a lot to eat etc. Absolutely baltic as well so i done a quick workout no real structure to keep warm plus i was starving.

back bis

Nothing special to report.

I have one real problem area in particular. My legs etc are shit but its cos i dont train them hard enough, if i did they would be respectable.

Calves. I done calves on tuesday following my leg workout and they were sore yesterday. However on tuesday a Mr Ireland runner uup in my gym was talking to me and said more than welcome to do calves with me. I knew i would be sore but said yes. It was literally brutal.

One thing was this guy is 280 at 5'11 and relatively lean. He is a onster, i had to push so hard and it really motivated me having someone there that size to push me and motivate me. Also i didnt want to half ass it as it was a waste of his time which i appreciate and i never wanted to let him down lol

anyway i kept up with him on the sexercises until the last set or 2. The place ws blistering...also this guy now has legit 22.5" calves they are actually insane and push out from his trouser legs so much. He said naturally they were nothing special. Here is what we done. I was told to do 16-20 as i knew i couldnt keep up. I done very well indeed by his admission lol

Standing calve raise 20, 20, 20, 20 then rest pause to failur 4x on last set 5 secs rest...first 2 sets were ok last 2 were brutal...espec the rest pause one

leg press calve raise 20, 20, 20, 20 rest pause 4x on last set with 5 secs rest.

On the rest pause i was scraping oyt 4 reps and it was so so painful all over. I literally could not stand on my toes as i kep falling down. i stood talking to him for a few mins after and my legs kept wobbling...They are so fucked now LOL its mad.

It was really tough but also fun. Guy is open about everything and said if i ever wanna do a show he is more than apppy to help me. I know teh next 2-3 days my calves will get worse before they get better. I am def def gonna keep doing this...try to get them to 17" (i know pathetic) by xmas.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »
btw my tris are still aching, chest too, lats calves and biceps. I wont be back in gym till monday when i can walk properly and also when i sahll be recovered.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »
damn Goudy, looking big as a house, good work.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
i think if you work your calves seriously they will be as big as your arms in no time. here is my no 1 calf training tip: 2-3 second stop in the bottom position. never BOUNCE. when i started doing this my calves grow tremendously in a short time.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »
thanks for the tip. I never bounce either doing calves...well the 20time si have done them lol

ty Quaker.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
Calves are the sorest and getting tight when i sit for prolonged periods of time. Though i have mobility whenever i walk for a few mins and stretch them better lol

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »
calves are still sore as feck lol...tho recovering. I have shoulders tomorro so i should be ok as it wont affect me that much. Legs on tuesday may be fun lol

try to get a few vids up maybe

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2008, 03:13:27 PM »
shoulders

Military press
178lbsxlots of sets of 5. Little rest

Behind back shrugs
5x10

DB Shrugs