Author Topic: On the road to DOMS  (Read 14109 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: On the road to DOMS
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2006, 07:49:27 PM »
Reply to MidniteRambo. I acknowledge that there is plenty of research re overtraining and sports performance but show me any re hypertrophy training.

Hypertrophy wasn't the topic.

You gave examples of different "statements" that are to be found in musclemagazines.

You mentioned overtraining as one of the things bodybuilding writers perpetruating.

MidniteRambo made a clear statement about overtraining, how it is a wellknown fact, also backed it up with references.

You first claim that there is yet to be a definition of overtraining.

Take one concept. Overtraining. What the hell is that? Show me any studies defining that concept or demonstrating what it is. In the absence of any such definition we find all manner of explanations and theories that show nothing at all. It has yet to be established there is any such thing. Yet just about everyone believes there is such a thing.

But then, after MidniteRambo posted the references:

Reply to MidniteRambo. I acknowledge that there is plenty of research re overtraining and sports performance but show me any re hypertrophy training.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2006, 03:05:30 AM »
Theres no point hedgehog, Vince will not actively respond to what anybody says.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2006, 06:34:16 AM »

I've come to realise that.

Basile blasts bodybuilding magazine writers, yet he gives Christian Thibidoux credit and considers him a "knowledgeable student of hypertrophy".

On the merits of Thibidoux' getting published in an online magazine... ::)

Basile is contradicting himself all the time, and really, no big deal if he would bring any theories to the table for people to try.

But he doesn't.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »
I have no obligation to post on this forum. It is not worth my while so I won't be responding to people like Zack and Animal.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2006, 02:48:55 PM »
I have no obligation to post on this forum.
Obviously, you don't. Nobody has.

It is not worth my while so I won't be responding to people like Zack and Animal.
Why not?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2007, 10:01:47 AM »
Crazy thread, turned into the daddy waddy-pumster show.Ha ha ha. ;D I believe the truth lies somewhere in between.
While 100s of sets will prob set you back, you do need to increase something to achieve a greater degree of muscle break down,and then allow time to repair,(and this will most likely result in soreness).Side note. Ever notice how how your body parts that pump easily and get doms seem to grow better. something to think about ;D

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2007, 04:22:07 AM »
work out at a high intensity for an hour. if your sore fine if your not fine.if you worked out balls to the wall for one hour you did your job.
DAWG

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2007, 07:22:22 AM »
Great thread.

45 secs rest has been my mantra for ages, 6-12 range, and I believe it still works.  I lift to failure, still get sore, and still see progress - but threads like this one tempt me to mix it up a bit more.

The Animals thoughts in #81 regarding sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar growth are intriguing.  He didn't mention muscle fiber types (I think?) - type 1, 2a, 2b.  Anyone have any theories about the 'ol tried and true pyramiding being effective in fatiguing the various fibers and promoting both sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy?  I'm assuming there's a relationship between the type of fiber recruited and the nature of the growth... is there?  Or is pyramiding in the 12-10-8 (and 6) range not the magic beans I've been thinking it is?

Mitchboy, I've got to disagree.  My chest gets sore (really sore when I blast it) but I consider it a lagging part.  I interpret DOMS as my body trying to adapt, but some parts seems more adept at adaptation than others.

Pumpster, I dig your views and general mod style, but ease up on the DW if you can find it in your heart.  You slammed the door pretty hard on this one.  He's definitely an idiot at times, but he really seemed to be trying to contribute in this thread.  Eloquence fails us all at times... fails DW most times... but treating him like a rambunctious child at a dinner party won't get him to post his routine and discuss the nitty gritty of the DW routine, for what it's worth.  Not a flame, just one white man's opinion.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2007, 09:36:29 AM »
great thread, destroys a lot of myth thanks to vince basile

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »

I have to say this is generally true and disappointing; if he's seriously interested in genuine discourse as claimed, on this or any other of the many BB sites he's been on over the years, interaction that demonstrates an open mind's key. Without which the back-and-forth and dialogue's less than it could be.