Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 181550 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2007, 04:49:08 PM »
you seem like a pretty strong guy man from your journal.... keep up the good work man...... you will look fine eventually man bb isn't everything...... when shit goes bad its the last thing on your mind..... but keep at it and good luck

working out was just a release over the last few years, I was there and I was putting effort forth but mentally I wasn't really there...maybe 50% at best.  When things were good last year for a few months I was training like a monster, people at the powerhouse I joined were telling me how hard I was training and I even had a national level guy-he won the masters LHW class at the USA I think-tell me I was busting my ass.

I know what I'm capable of if everything falls into place, it just hasn't for a looooong time.
nasser=piece of shit

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 05:08:02 PM »
working out was just a release over the last few years, I was there and I was putting effort forth but mentally I wasn't really there...maybe 50% at best.  When things were good last year for a few months I was training like a monster, people at the powerhouse I joined were telling me how hard I was training and I even had a national level guy-he won the masters LHW class at the USA I think-tell me I was busting my ass.

I know what I'm capable of if everything falls into place, it just hasn't for a looooong time.

well good luck man

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2007, 11:03:58 AM »
did abs and cardio today.

knee ups on the edge of a bench-2*20ish

machine crunch-1*17, 1*15-this is a new machine, I don't know what company makes it or what it's called, I just figured I'd try it out, seemed to work pretty good. 

Abs are a little more visable right now and I'm showing more vascularity in my forearms and bi's so things are moving along well. 
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2007, 09:15:54 AM »
I didn't feel all that great but figured I'd tough it out and went in anyway.  I drank some coffee to get energy levels up and this is how it went:

Hammer Inline-270*16RP with 8 partials and a 60 second stretch with the 45's

Widowmaker-95*7

Hammer Shoulder Press-275*12RP, 20 partial range lateral raises with the 40's and a 60 second stretch

lying db extentions-40*16(right arm)
                           40*20(left arm) both rest paused, wierd how my left arm is so much stronger

I stalled on my chest widowmaker.  I might drop it and start fresh with a new one or I might jump up to the 100's next week...I dunno, I'd like to get it down to 4 reps and then drop it-we'll see.

No cardio, maybe later today.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
Today was an example of everythig going right in the gym. 

Toe Press on the 45 degree Leg Press:  465*12, with 31 partials

Sumo Leg press on the same machine as above: 480*15SS with 21 partials and a 60 second static for each leg.

Leg Press:900*5, 25 partials, 60 then I did 21 reps with 340lbs on the lifefitness leg press.

followed it up with 2 sets on the hammer ab machine.  Verey good heavy workout, legs feel like jelly.  I like doing the partials alot better than the static holds...but that's just me.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »
hammer high pull-295*16RP, 14 partials and a 60 second stretch

Hammer Row-180*21(left)
                       *26(right)

Icanrian Preacher-120*16RP, 11 partials and a 60 second stretch

Pinwheel curls-35*16(left)
                        *15(right)

light ab work afterwards.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2007, 02:03:01 PM »
Looking good mate.

Notice u wrote u do high pulls, was talking with MIKE on the 'upright row' topic, and he was saying he prefers doing high pulls, do u thinkthere a better shoulder mass builder than upright rows??

Might try them once i stall on upright rows?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2007, 04:26:44 AM »
Looking good mate.

Notice u wrote u do high pulls, was talking with MIKE on the 'upright row' topic, and he was saying he prefers doing high pulls, do u thinkthere a better shoulder mass builder than upright rows??

Might try them once i stall on upright rows?!

davie

I'm referring to a hammer machine, it's kinda like a pulldown/rowing machine, I don't know what it's called so I just call it a "high pull".  If you hve the David Henry Flex article from last year it's the same machine he uses.

I'll look for a pick of it online, sorry for the cofusion, I've done "highpulls" like you're talking about in the past and they worked well.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2007, 05:00:22 AM »
I'm referring to a hammer machine, it's kinda like a pulldown/rowing machine, I don't know what it's called so I just call it a "high pull".  If you hve the David Henry Flex article from last year it's the same machine he uses.

I'll look for a pick of it online, sorry for the cofusion, I've done "highpulls" like you're talking about in the past and they worked well.

That wud b good to see apic of what u mean, just out of curiosity?!

High pulls sound good and like i said i might try them once i stall on upright rows. Might pull from the knee instead of ground to take the legs out of the movement a bit. Pulling right up to forehead level.

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 09:54:07 AM »
I felt a little burnt out going in but I did really well today.  I'm still using flyes as my chest movement but that's only temporary, just trying something new to get a break from all the pressing movements.  I also switched widowmaker movements for my chest and started over, very light weight and supre high reps to start out.

DB Flyes-50*20, 12 partials and a 60 second stretch with the 50's.
         widowmaker-30*30
Icarian Shoulder-65lbs*12(right)
                              *16(left)
did partial DB laterial raises with the 45's when I was done, got about 20 reps with each arm.

Close grip BP-260*14RP-smith machine, only got 2RP's but still got 14 reps then I did a 45 second stretch.

That was it, the Icarian shoulder is brutal, I'm almost at my max on that.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »
abs n cardio today.  Chest is mega sore, I think with the technique that I'm using for my widowmakers I was losing the form I wanted to keep the heavier and heavier I went, my chest was jello yesturday all day once I was finished, hasn't been like that for awhile so hopefully if I keep my reps waaay high for as long as I can while increasing the weight my chest will start to fill out. 

starting to lean out a little which is good, hopefully I'll be in shape by early summer, I want to cruise into a show if things work out the way I want.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:10 AM »
another good leg training session.  Calves are looking alot better, still have a ways to go.  Thighs are coming along, not back to what they were but coming.

calf sled-335*12 with 25 partials, calfs were on fire when I was done.

lying leg curl-165*14, 20 second static and a 60 second stretch with each leg, got 2 more reps than last time.

V-Squat-475*10 with 20 explosive partials, I was exploding up so hard I thought I might actually jump up a few inches.

Widowmaker-Precor Leg Press-370*30, I only usually get 20 reps but I was feeling real good so I went until total failure, legs feel like noodles right now.

I always think of Viator's leg work out from the Colarado experiment when I'm working legs, I try to get to that intesity level. 
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »
UNDER HAND Grip Pulldowns-215*16RP w/ a 60 second stretch

BB rows-255*5
            185*14

Cable Curl-150*19RP w/12 partials and a 60 second stretch

Hammer curls-40*30(right)
                   40*23(left)-left elbow was hurting a little, don't know why.

did 20 mins of cardio on the recumbant bike.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2007, 02:18:33 PM »
So what u think about using DC methods with exercises like cleans,hang clean and press??

Could be awesome?!

davie

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2007, 04:18:24 AM »
So what u think about using DC methods with exercises like cleans,hang clean and press??

Could be awesome?!

davie

never used those particular movements with DC......you might want to ask over on intensemuscle, they have a better handle on thatstuff than I do, maybe trooponin would be a good guy to PM about this kinda stuff.

I did the clean and press for alittle while and it just hurt my back using the kind of poundages I needed to use for the amount of reps I was shooting for, that's about all I can say on that one.

sorry, I know DC works with some powerlifters, don't know what he does with them though.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2007, 09:04:16 AM »
Cool, thanks bro.

checked over there at intense, ther not huge fans apparently of the power moves.

Well im loving it so far, in week 4 now (2nd rotation of all exercises). Still not really added static holds or extreme stretching in (i actually forget sumtimes lol).

Il start doing that on wed or if not wed, then next week at beginning of 3rd rotation.

davie

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »
smith incline bench-280*16RP, 10 partials and a 60 second stretch.  This felt light as hell when I started, I might make a 10lbs jump next time.

WM-35*25 reps

smith military press-280*12 with 20 partial range lateral raises with the 45's and a 60 second stretch

Dip Machine-260*18RP with a 60 second stretch, I'm close to maxing this machine out :D

WILL YOU CHECK MINE?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=135530.0

when I get more time I will, I peeked and you looked really lean-good job.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2007, 03:07:47 AM »
calfs-Donkey's-410*13 with 25 partials

seated leg cul-170*16RP with a 20 second static and a 60 second stretch

Hack Squat-225*20SS with 25 partials and a stretch

did abs also, knee ups and rope crunch, 2 sets each.

20 more lbs on hacks and still got 20 reps, took me awhile but I got it. 
nasser=piece of shit

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2007, 04:33:53 AM »
Few ?s but nice log...what are your stats and goals right now?  How is the diet?  Natural?  Cycle?

Why so much SMith machine use.....I realize it's easier on the joints, but if you arent injured, isnt it half assed>>>?

Was the above your full leg day?  What do you got today?  Delts?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2007, 06:23:24 AM »
Few ?s but nice log...what are your stats and goals right now?  How is the diet?  Natural?  Cycle?

5'7ish, about 205ish.  I'm trying some new stuff out on my diet and I want to wait until later to post anything, I haven't really trained "all out" in a few years due to some personal issues so the goal is to get to where I feel I should be and take it from there, might compete at the end of this year or early next year.  Been natural my whole life, problems with my liver when I was 19 so roids are out of the question, bf is probably in the low teens right now.

Why so much SMith machine use.....I realize it's easier on the joints, but if you arent injured, isnt it half assed>>>?

sorry but there's no such thing as a "half assed workout if you're progressing, doesn't matter if you use the smith or free weights.  The gym I'm at has a few smiths and 1 decent power rack, I can get to the smith's easier so I use them, I train alone so it's also due to safety concerns.  I have no issues using smith machines.  With DC training the first and foremost concern is picking movements where you can make the biggest gains in strength while paying attention to your form, smith machine's are often recommended.  with the way I train I don't like to ask people for spots and with a smith I know I wont' kill myself.  As long as I'm progressing at a good rate there's no problem with smiths, or precor, or hammer.  I do use free weights for alot of movements but have no problem using any machine that I think will work with the program I'm on.  The ends justify the means.

Was the above your full leg day?  What do you got today?  Delts?

that's the full leg day, everything was taken to positive failure.  Calfs done in DC fashion with this type of weight is a kiler, hamstrings I had a 2 rep improvement with the same weight as last time so I progressed as I thought I would, next time the weight goes up 5lbs and the goal is 12-14 reps done with a nice controlled negative and explosive positive, 3 total rest paused sets.

thighs, I had a 20lbs increase and kept the reps at 20, legs together and infront of the body so I could concentrate on the "tear drop" and the sweep of the thigh, reps were done ass to the grass.  I have issues with my lower back so I go a little lighter on these until I feel my back is conditioned enough to start pilling the weight on.  I figured my reps would probably drop off but I managed to get 20 so next cycle I'll probably do another 20lbs increase.  I also did partials until total failure after a short rest.  DC recommends either a static hold at the end of a set or partials, I'm loving the partials right now, I'm taking it to a whole new level with them. 
nasser=piece of shit

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:22 AM »
So you are saying the smith is equivalent to the str8 bar, as the muscles really have no idea where the weight is coming from?  Just more stabilizer work with free weigts?  Can you show me an awesome delt routine...I'm really haing trouble getting that :feel" when I do delts.....and getting them to grow.  Dc = rest pause?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2007, 07:34:30 AM »
So you are saying the smith is equivalent to the str8 bar, as the muscles really have no idea where the weight is coming from?  Just more stabilizer work with free weigts?  Can you show me an awesome delt routine...I'm really haing trouble getting that :feel" when I do delts.....and getting them to grow.  Dc = rest pause?

I could care less about "stabilizer muscles"...who's ever won or lost a show due to stabilizers?  I'm saying that progression is progression, doesn't matter if it's on a smith or with free weights.  Bottom line for me is what do I think I can move the heaviest weights on and progressively increase the resistance while meeting a certain rep criteria with good form.

for shoulders I just do pressing movements with as much weight as I can handle, I'm probably not the guy to go to, I've always had good shoulders and been really strong on any overhead pressing movement, if anything my chest suffers from my shoulders being so strong. 

I could go into a long drawn out explanation of DC training if you really want but if I was you I'd google "dogg logg" or "dc's dog logg" or go over to intensemuscle.com and check out the stickies in the dogpound.  I gave a really good link on the "dogcrapp" thread on the regular training board, it's to the "weights on the web" message board, if you go there read everything "inhuman" says, that guy knew his shit.

edit-here's the link:

http://timwescott.proboards18.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Talk&thread=1101334382&page=5
nasser=piece of shit

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2007, 07:55:40 AM »
good stuff...good point.. just curious what your delt routine may be anyway...are u saying its limited in volume since they grow so well?  How about for a newb?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »
good stuff...good point.. just curious what your delt routine may be anyway...are u saying its limited in volume since they grow so well?  How about for a newb?

I do one movement a day using the 3 way DC split which is a little more advanced than what is usually recommended but I'm trying to make up for lost time and I'm trying like hell to bring up my chest.  The movements I use are:

military press
hammer shoulder press
Precor Shoulder Press

all movements are done on a "progressive" basis so either I get more reps or I increase weight everytime.  Once I stop progressing the movement is dropped.  I'm very close to my max potential on all of these movements which kinda sucks.  All movements are done for 3 rest pause sets, each taken to momentary failure, by the end of the 3rd RP set I'm pretty much done.  I'll then do partials or a static if I can-usually I can't so I've been taking a DB and doing the bottom 1/3 of a lateral raise until I totally can't move the weight anymore, I'm up to 45's for over 20 reps.  I figured I'd keep the range of motion limited so right where the "hitch" in the movement starts that's where my range of motion ends-kinda hard to explain.  On the hammer and precor I'm ususally so spent that I can't get the weight up for a static so that's why I started this technique, don't know what DC would think of it but again, it works for me and what I"m trying to accomplish.

I think beginers should ALWAYS concentrate on heavy basic movements which is a complete 180 from what I used to believe.
nasser=piece of shit