Author Topic: Natural Al's DC training Journal  (Read 181565 times)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Natural Al's DC training Journal
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
I'm gonna try to keep this updated as much as I can but I can't promise anything:

I'm on a "3 way split" right now in DC terms meaning I have my BP's broken into 3 groups vs. the standard 2.  This is to allow me to concentrate on bringing up a weak bodypart.  I can't say specifically what I'm doing for that bodypart cause I promised the person who suggested it that I would not reveal it, that person is a friend of mine and I won't betray his trust.

Today went:

Back Width-Hammer High Pull-285*16 RP with 20 partials and a 60 second stretch at the end.  I dont' know the name of this particular machine as it's not labeled so I call it a high pull, it's like the pulldown machine that David henry used in his back and bicep training article in Flex last year.

Back Thickness-Hammer Rows-155*25 with my left arm and 30 with my right rest paused.  I rest paused this thickness movement cause my low back isn't really at any risk, my chest is againts a pad so there is no strain.  I also go for higher reps with this cause I maxed out the machine last summer doing 4-6 reps. 

Icarian Preacher Curl-120*13RP with a 20 second static and 60 second stretch.

Pinwheel Curls-30*22 with my left arm and 28 wtih my right, Rest Paused.

I also did 20 minutes of cardio afterwards, HR at about 150 BPM.  This is to keep my lungs strong cause I have asthma and to burn BF while glycogen is depleted.  I weigh about 211 at 5'7 and am THINKING of doing a natural show at the end of the year so I'm easing into things.

Might do abs tonight, we'll see.

here's an example of how I increased the resistance on each movement:

high pulls-I used 10 more pounds on this movement than last workout

rows-I used 20 more pounds on this movement, last workout was the first one doing these and I just picked a weight I thought would be a good starting point for.  I expect to keep reps at about 15-20 for these and really pile on the weight.

preachers-no weight increase but got 2 more reps.  Usually I wouldn't let my reps go below 12 on this movement but I increased the poundage by 20 last workout so I only got 11.

Pinwheel curls-just a 5lb increase, would have liked to hit 30 reps with each arm but oh, well.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
Re: Natural Al's DC training Journal
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:40:29 AM »
today was a little different, I'm trying out a new movement for chest, I haven't done DB flyes in years and wouldn't recommend them as a DC movement but I need a break from all the pressing movements for a ltitle while.  One they start to be a pain in the ass I'll drop em.

Chest-DB Flyes-45*20RP-I did a 2 count at the bottom and did them in Dorian style, limiting the range of motion at the top to keep tension on the chest.  I then did a 60 second stretch and then I did a widowmaker, I can't go into exactly what I'm doing but I did 90*9, 1 more rep than last time.

Shoulders-Icarian Press-62.5*13-15RP-this is a wierd machine, you press up and out so it's hard to generate any power on it, I don't really like it but I get sore from using it.  I did one arm at a time and once I failed on the last set I grabbed a 25lbs DB and did partial lateral raises to failure.  I go until I literally can't move the weight anymore.  Normally I would do a static or partials on the pressing movement but it's almost impossible to get it back up into position.  I then did a 60 second stretch.

Close Grip BP-255*14, nothing fancy, 2 more reps than last time. 

20 min of cardio at the end.  I weighed about 209 today. 
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »
Where are the pictures?
just push some weight!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:20:01 AM »
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
just push some weight!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »
You tell me.

I'm sure people are dying to see pics of me ::) ::) ::) ::)

let's see since I'm natural and people are dying to get ammunition to use againts me it'll either be:

man, you look like a swimmer
there's no way your a natural

or any combination of the above.  Why would I post a pic?  I don't care what anyone on this site thinks of me.  I might compete at the end of the year in a natty show so I'm sure pics will be around sooner or later.

I honestly don't see what I have to gain at this point. 

what do you think I look like?
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 02:07:26 PM »
I'm sure people are dying to see pics of me ::) ::) ::) ::)

let's see since I'm natural and people are dying to get ammunition to use againts me it'll either be:

man, you look like a swimmer
there's no way your a natural

or any combination of the above.  Why would I post a pic?  I don't care what anyone on this site thinks of me.  I might compete at the end of the year in a natty show so I'm sure pics will be around sooner or later.

I honestly don't see what I have to gain at this point. 

what do you think I look like?

By posting a pic you can show better progress and make more people agree with the routine you are following. You always make these 3 paragraph posts to why you are doing this and blah blah blah... So why not prove with one pic that you know what you are talking about so that people we start reading your long posts. Not that I do not enjoy the pure comedic value of them.

I think you look fine.
just push some weight!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 04:28:59 AM »
By posting a pic you can show better progress and make more people agree with the routine you are following. You always make these 3 paragraph posts to why you are doing this and blah blah blah... So why not prove with one pic that you know what you are talking about so that people we start reading your long posts. Not that I do not enjoy the pure comedic value of them.

I think you look fine.

the posts are set up that way to give people an idea of what I'm doing and why, once I go through one cycle I'll stop giving the explanations.  Maybe I go a little overboard initially but it will stop.  What's the use of having a journal online if all you do is say bench 3*10, followed by pulldowns 3*15?  Someone will look at that and there will be no rhyme or reason to it.  DC is a known program on the net but i dont' think alot of people understand it so I'm trying ot lay some groundwork. 

If anyone else wants to provide feedback let me know.
nasser=piece of shit

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 05:38:01 AM »
Very informative posts, natural al.. don't let the thread get derailed!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 05:46:09 AM »
Very informative posts, natural al.. don't let the thread get derailed!

so you don't find the explanations of why I'm doing certain things boring and destracting?  I honestly want people to understand my mindset, if something doesn't look right or doesn't make sense, let me know.

BTW-the Close Grip Bench Presses were done on a smith machine, most pressing movements are done on a smith, I set the stops so I dont' kill myself and go, it's a safety issue.  I dont' trust people to spot me. ;D
nasser=piece of shit

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
You know alot more about DC stuff than I do for sure.. I haven't studied it as well as I've been wanting to. This thread seems promising. I can learn alot from it, so keep it up!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
big leg day :P :P

Calfs-hammer Calf Sled-325*12 done in DC fashion, 20-30 second rest and then partials until total failure, about 30 reps

hamstrings-Lying Leg Curl-165lbs*12 reps, no static but a 60 second stretch for both legs

Quads-V-Squat-455*12 Straight set with 20 partials at the end.  This is a variation of the Hammer V-Squat, don't know what company makes it, I dont' really like it as much as the hammer version but it keeps my back straight so it's a good alternative for me.

Precore Leg Press-330*21-total failure, I actually worked in with a guy-which I never do-and he said I was insane when I was done.

no cardio on leg day but I might do abs tonight, we'll see.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
SOunds v good mate, 2 quad exercises i c?!

do u do ur partials on calf work straight after hard set, or do u have wee break?

keep the logg going, v interesting?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »
SOunds v good mate, 2 quad exercises i c?!

do u do ur partials on calf work straight after hard set, or do u have wee break?

keep the logg going, v interesting?!

davie

the partials are something I came up with myself, they're not really a DC thing.  I'm being honest about what i do so I figured I'd list em.  I do my 12-15 reps, shake my legs out for 20-30 seconds and then go, the range of motion starts off as a half rep, very quick and then by the time I'm done I'm barely moving the wieght.  I keep the weight the same.  I usually get about 30 reps.

Calfs have improved the most of any BP using DC, I actually have em now whereas my lower legs looked like toothpicks before.
nasser=piece of shit

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 12:13:22 PM »
so you don't find the explanations of why I'm doing certain things boring and destracting? 

Been reading up on DC training recently and this is pretty interesting.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 02:17:28 PM »
I decided againts doing abs tonight, maybe tomorrow since it's an off day,  Abs for me are done in "max-ot" fashion.  I do 2 sets of a movement for uppers and 2 sets for lowers.  I actually have 4 different combinations I switch off with.  I've only been using one as of late consisting of rope crunch's and seated knee ups-that's what I call em anyway.  My abs are pretty thick meaning you can see them when I tense up but my BF isn't low enough to show them off.  I'll post a link to the AST site where they walk you through this type of ab workout tomorrow.  I try to do abs 2-3 times a week, usually I get them in twice but if I miss a workout I don't lose any sleep over it.
nasser=piece of shit

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »
what are you shooting for?

what are your goals?
Deep Tissue Massage

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
what are you shooting for?

what are your goals?

actually right now I just like to work out.  I might do a show at the end of the year but with all the problems I've had over the last few years BB has really become less and less important.  I used to want to be one of the top naturals in the country but seems like everytime I get going real good I have some kind of disaster in my life...I won't go into exactly what has happened cause I have in the past and people on this site like to shove that kind of stuff in your face even when it is totally out of line.

Realistically I've had 1 six month period where I've been able to put it all together in the last 3 years or so.  I'm just trying to get in a couple of good blasts wthout everything in my life going to hell.

I'm about 3 years behind scheduale-sp-
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 06:12:16 AM »
link to the ab training article I talked about earlier:

http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=215
nasser=piece of shit

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 07:51:11 AM »
you're doing well al. keep it up.

i think alexx has a point though. it's difficult to really see the effectiveness w/o photos.

not saying you should post, just making the point.

maybe, when you provide your weight you can mention your body fat or something. dunno.

i disagree with your stance on 'thickening' and 'widening', etc. it just doesn't make sense to me.

imo, if you develop your lats, for example, they will be thicker and wider.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 07:58:16 AM »
you're doing well al. keep it up.

i think alexx has a point though. it's difficult to really see the effectiveness w/o photos.

not saying you should post, just making the point.

maybe, when you provide your weight you can mention your body fat or something. dunno.

i disagree with your stance on 'thickening' and 'widening', etc. it just doesn't make sense to me.

imo, if you develop your lats, for example, they will be thicker and wider.

well, telling the honest to god truth, I have not trained at a decent enough level for any extended period of time so I honestly don't think I'm in a position to post photo's at this time.  Like I said earlier, around 04 my family had a major life altering development that pretty much put training in a holding pattern.  Once that cleared up I had about 6 months to get going and started my first real blast in about July of last year, in august I was put in the hospital for diverticulitus which is basically a digestive problem, it was very mild but still sucked.  I was back in the gym about a week later-modified diet for about 2 months...in the meantime there was another development that pretty much devestated me on a personal leve...I dont' want to get into it on here but a few people on the boards know what I'm talking about.

So in reality this is only the 2nd really good blast I've had in 3 years.

I weigh about 210lbs, bodyfat is probably in the low to mid teens.  I have vascularity in my forearms and some in my lower quads and I have visable abs when I tighten them up, they're not ripped at all but they are there. 
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »
today sucked. 

the plan was to go in do abs and do about 1/2 an hour of lite cardio.

I did abs as follows:

Precor V-Crunch Machine-I dont' know how to describe it but it hits the low abs really hard, I did 1*25 and 1*21.

Precor Crunch Machine-90*18, 100*14

jumped on the bike and about 5 minutes in I was breathing really heavy.  I have asthma and I forgot my medicine.  I stopped caught my breath and started again...no good.  it took me about an hour to get back to normal.  Terrible day.
nasser=piece of shit

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 10:38:57 AM »
there's such a thing as minding your own f'n business too. ::) ::)

Power rack's the standard response of some who believe that anything else including machines such as the Smith, aren't viable. Anyone should try every possibility for themselves before making any assumptions as to what's better.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 11:08:47 AM »
ok, simple answer for you huckler.

there are 4 smith machines where I train and 1 decent power rack.  Now in a perfect universe I could set up the power rack for all pressing movements but alot of the time someone ele is using it to squat or do deads in it so access is limited.  My goal is to get in and get out in a decent amount of time so waiting for a PR would be a waste of time.  The smith is easier to get and for what I'm doing is just as effective.  I don't care about stabalizer muscles-not at all.  All that matters to me is I either lift mroe weight or get more reps than the last workout...doesn't matter what the movement as long as I meet those criteria it's all good.
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007, 04:34:36 PM »
I am sure natual al will post pictures when he is ready in the future. For now the program he is doing is all that counts. That is the way to pack on the weight fast! I should have never stopped it.
just push some weight!