Author Topic: The WICKED truth about my training  (Read 367714 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: The WICKED truth about my training
« Reply #575 on: December 18, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
Actually you will find it will.  Huge band tension and low bar weight actually leads to a decrease in barbell speed and huge instability with max weights.

Jason

well god damn..two pages of going back and forth and now you tell me that!

so on speed days you bench as fast as you possibly can without any pausing?  I thought speed day was you come down as fast as you can, pause, and explode up as fast as you can.  I didn't think rep'n it like pushups was the trick. Remember I workout alone...so whatever I learn it's from trial and error and having a log like this where experienced lifts can give me insight.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #576 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »
well god damn..two pages of going back and forth and now you tell me that!

so on speed days you bench as fast as you possibly can without any pausing?  I thought speed day was you come down as fast as you can, pause, and explode up as fast as you can.  I didn't think rep'n it like pushups was the trick. Remember I workout alone...so whatever I learn it's from trial and error and having a log like this where experienced lifts can give me insight.

Yes.  As EXPLOSIVELY as you can.  Pausing is merely a rule for competition, and will actually make you weaker if done all the time.  Remember though, first and foremost  DE Days are FORM WORK.  It douesnt matter how fast you are pushing if your form is shit.  You would be surprised how many people forget this.  You might find it better to do 12 sets of 1 versus 8 sets of 3 while your working your form...especially while training alone.

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #577 on: December 18, 2007, 07:28:44 PM »
yeah.. i focus on staying in the groove.. i think about my commands and my pauses and such since I saw SO many people get called on the rack commands, not pausing, etc. at my last powerlifting meet so that was shit I wanted to engrain. You compete how you train.. and I want it to be second nature. I want to be able to focus on my lifting and not have to think about..okay now pause, keep your elbows in..stay in teh groove...etc..i just want to focuse on pushing some heavy shit.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #578 on: December 19, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
ME bench
still going for reps..i want my set of 315 for ten back...warmed up with a light set of overhead dumbbell extensions

135x10x1
225x10x1
315x5x1 got out of the groove...reracked and immediately back into it for 2 more. That's 2 more than I did last week! I'm very happy with this. Once I hit 315 for 10 again and get my stamina back then I'll go after the heavier shit again. Right now this is my focus.

overhead barbell extensions

barx10
135x10x1
185x2x1

dumbbell jm's

50x10x3 

dumbell front raises

50lbsx8x1
60lbsx8x1
70lbsx8x1 

smoked them all.. I'm going to give the 80's a try next time with a little cheating  ;D

dumbbell rows

125x20x4

took it easy on back today... still felt a little sore from monday.

It was a good day overall! I'm very happy!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
updated pic!
« Reply #579 on: December 19, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »

246 as of today at 21% body fat! Notice my perky tits and my AB haha... Figured I would drop off a new shot since it's been awhile. Arms are measuring 18.5" on the right and 18" on the left. Makes me wonder how I'll look cut down to a reasonable 16-17%.  I've got to make 231lbs by february.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #580 on: December 19, 2007, 04:32:19 PM »
red X.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #581 on: December 19, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
Working for me just fine... check your settings.  ;D I look like the stay-puff marshmellow man without the hat!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #582 on: December 19, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
red X.

???  What

JP's the shit man... I love his details. ;)
Get him over to help Rip with this bar roll off the boards... She needs a bigger shirt is the whole thing..

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #583 on: December 20, 2007, 06:31:28 AM »
fixed the pic!

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #584 on: December 20, 2007, 05:22:27 PM »
How did you get your bf tested?  Mine about 5 months ago was 22% by caliper.

Jason

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #585 on: December 20, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »
???  What

JP's the shit man... I love his details. ;)
Get him over to help Rip with this bar roll off the boards... She needs a bigger shirt is the whole thing..

lol  ;)

Wicked, it's still a big red X!  I wanna see!   :D

:)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #586 on: December 20, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »
How did you get your bf tested?  Mine about 5 months ago was 22% by caliper.

Jason

one of those hand electronic ones..

and i'm not sure wha'ts up guys it's owrking for me..it's a .jpg file and I can see it on two different computers..

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #587 on: December 20, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »
one of those hand electronic ones..

and i'm not sure wha'ts up guys it's owrking for me..it's a .jpg file and I can see it on two different computers..

Your talking about your avatar pic, right?  It ain't workin!   >:(

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #588 on: December 20, 2007, 07:18:51 PM »

Your talking about your avatar pic, right?  It ain't workin!   >:(

no i'm talking about hte one i posted in this log about 5 posts up lol

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #589 on: December 20, 2007, 07:35:19 PM »
no i'm talking about hte one i posted in this log about 5 posts up lol

haha I see it now.  You're a big dude.  8)

Lookin good, good luck with the cut, 15 pounds by Feb should be a piece of cake, right?   ;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #590 on: December 20, 2007, 07:58:53 PM »

haha I see it now.  You're a big dude.  8)

Lookin good, good luck with the cut, 15 pounds by Feb should be a piece of cake, right?   ;)

you can't be serious lol

one big shit and i'll lose 5... so maybe it really is possible.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #591 on: December 21, 2007, 01:42:06 PM »
I was 250 this morning! i'm going the wrong way! And I've been eating healthier and everything!  >:(

EVENTS!

warmed up with squats for sets of 12 up to 225, dumbbell deads at 225, and overhead presses for 135

500lb tire flipsx12... way too easy...no one could figure out where the 700lb'er went so I played with this one. Speed was key in running them over.

350lb sled dragx4 50' trips before I slipped and fell on my ass...

got a call to work so had to split..... then came back to LA FITNESS on the way home to finish a workout.  I didn't feel like I did much of anything at metroflex so I went to the cage.

DE LOWERBODY

parallel box squats with blue bands
barx10x1
225x2x1
315x2x1
365x2x1
365x2x2
365x1x1 
gas'd... 365 is the weight I need to be working with

speed sumo deads
135x5x1
225x3x1
315x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1
added  blue bands
405x1x1
405x1x1
405x1x1

actually felt easier with the bands than without them.. strange..

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #592 on: December 24, 2007, 11:32:41 AM »
DE bench day from sunday.... i wans't able to get in the gym today for ME legs which fucking blows.. whaever

bench
135x10x1
225x3x1
added double choked mini bands
225x3x1
225x3x1
225x3x1
225x3x1
225x3x1
225x3x1
225x15x1 rep out

dumbbell jm's with mini bands
40lbsx10x3

3 sets of 10 with pressdowns

bent over barbell rows

135x10x1
315x10x1
405x10x1
495x4x1 with alot of heaving

seated cables rows

wholestack+25lb plate x12x3

dumbbell laterals

50lbsx8x1

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #593 on: December 26, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »
ME bench
bench

135x10x1
225x10x1
315x4x1 rerack + 2reps rerack+2 reps...

monster miniband jm presses

50lbsx10x3

straight bar pressdowns

whole stackx8x1

wide grip CS rows

2platesx10x1
4platesx10x1
6platesx3x1 which was a nice surprise

dumbbell front raises

50lbsx6x1
60lbsx6x1
70lbsx6x1
80lbsx3x1 WHEW! with a little cheating to get it going but controlled it on the way down! NICE!

don't know how I feel about today... i gained in ALL my exercises but my bench has gone nowhere. 

8 total reps on the flat bench. That's better than last week but if at anytime I get out of the groove I rerack and start over. I don't want to get into nasty habits and risk injury. I've noticed my bar speed both on the eccentric and concentric phase have sped up some! It was noticable to the point that I'm writing about it. I wonder why I'm having stamina issues though.. any ideas?  Is it becasue of all the rep work on sunday with rep out max and then trying to get max reps wiht 315 on wednesday?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #594 on: December 26, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »
When I do Westside my stamina goes down too. I attribute it to all the triple and single work and the fact that there is never a day that is dedicated to Max Weight for reps. Simply enough, if you dont train for reps you wont get more reps.

Your 1RM strength is important in PL meets, sure. Though, if you focus on it, it will be inevitable that you lose stamina. If you improve your stamina then you will lose 1RM strength. This is true only to a certain extent.

Hey, this is just what I noticed with me and a lot of others. There is usually a trade off. I used to be able to hit 265x8 overhead and when I started to focus on max OHP I hit 305x1 but could only get 265x6 the next week. I wouldnt really worry about it. Just about priorities.

BTW, I love the reverse band bench press! Its way better than just doing lockouts, ya know?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #595 on: December 26, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »
When I do Westside my stamina goes down too. I attribute it to all the triple and single work and the fact that there is never a day that is dedicated to Max Weight for reps. Simply enough, if you dont train for reps you wont get more reps.

Your 1RM strength is important in PL meets, sure. Though, if you focus on it, it will be inevitable that you lose stamina. If you improve your stamina then you will lose 1RM strength. This is true only to a certain extent.

Hey, this is just what I noticed with me and a lot of others. There is usually a trade off. I used to be able to hit 265x8 overhead and when I started to focus on max OHP I hit 305x1 but could only get 265x6 the next week. I wouldnt really worry about it. Just about priorities.

BTW, I love the reverse band bench press! Its way better than just doing lockouts, ya know?

Dude you've got it hard on for those bands don't ya! I told you they were slick shit!!!
Yeah see that's the thing My SPEED on the eccentric and concentric parts of the movement are fast and I can power the hell out of the bottom... which is what throws me out of the groove so much! I had to catch the first two presses on the first set and it wobbles alot when I'm trying to go fast. I guess with time it'll come huh?

DAMN NICE OHP'N MAN! GOOD LORD!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #596 on: December 26, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »
Dude you've got it hard on for those bands don't ya! I told you they were slick shit!!!
Yeah see that's the thing My SPEED on the eccentric and concentric parts of the movement are fast and I can power the hell out of the bottom... which is what throws me out of the groove so much! I had to catch the first two presses on the first set and it wobbles alot when I'm trying to go fast. I guess with time it'll come huh?

DAMN NICE OHP'N MAN! GOOD LORD!

I DO love me some bands! ;D

You know I am a rookie with the bands myself and I cant say if you'll just get used to the movement or what? I can say that everything takes some getting used to.

Speaking of OHP. I was watching the 1997 WSM and they did Log Press for reps. This is PRO LEVEL and they used 220lbs! Mark Phillipi got like 7 or 8 reps. WTF!?!? Things have changed a lot, eh? Last year in Amateur Nationals someone repped the 300# log for 14 reps and he came in 2nd place overall!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #597 on: December 27, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »
Heres a vid of Mark Felix getting coached on his OHP. He isnt world class in the OHP but he still goes to WSM on a regular basis.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3pyAmrAQc4E

Thats about 265-275lbs? Pretty weak for a WSM competitor but my guess is he focuses on bench in his training because he is a former PLer. He still may PL for all I know but a big bench definately limits your strength and flexibility on the OHP.

Just something to keep in mind when doing the Log.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #598 on: December 27, 2007, 08:13:32 AM »
Heres a vid of Mark Felix getting coached on his OHP. He isnt world class in the OHP but he still goes to WSM on a regular basis.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3pyAmrAQc4E

Thats about 265-275lbs? Pretty weak for a WSM competitor but my guess is he focuses on bench in his training because he is a former PLer. He still may PL for all I know but a big bench definately limits your strength and flexibility on the OHP.

Just something to keep in mind when doing the Log.

I need to start doing some overhead pressing. ..i'ts strange how mark's elbows flare out at the lockout and rotates them around... my elbows always stay pointing forward like a close grip bench press!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #599 on: December 27, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »
Sounds like you need to practice with a wider grip. The log grip width is about equal to having your pointer finger on or slightly outside the rings on an oly bar. If you go that wide you have no choice but to put your elbows out really. Oly lifters dont flare their elbows out much but they also arent lifting the bar with their arms at all. They just blow it up with leg power and catch it at the top. Try using a clean grip when starting the Push Press so that the bar is on your shoulders and you get all your leg drive into it. If you are as fast in the squat as I imagine, you should have no problem jumping 250+ in the air and catching it at the top.