Author Topic: The WICKED truth about my training  (Read 367915 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: The WICKED truth about my training
« Reply #700 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:36 PM »
Yeah, I cant do a clean grip or else it would be much easier. My shoulders cramp up from the strain of holding it in place. I didnt think it was so HUGE? I will record it next time since I can do it in my garage. This whole video taping in the gym thing is a pain. I have to go real late on the weekend so no one notices. Some guys got busted doing upskirt type shots and the women dont hesitate to call attention to any guy looking suspicious. I wouldnt tape at the gym but I dont have 10 plates at home, haha!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #701 on: January 28, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »
Yeah, I cant do a clean grip or else it would be much easier. My shoulders cramp up from the strain of holding it in place. I didnt think it was so HUGE? I will record it next time since I can do it in my garage. This whole video taping in the gym thing is a pain. I have to go real late on the weekend so no one notices. Some guys got busted doing upskirt type shots and the women dont hesitate to call attention to any guy looking suspicious. I wouldnt tape at the gym but I dont have 10 plates at home, haha!

make it hap'n capt'n!

haha

makes me wonder how we're both strong as balls in the complete opposite lifts of each other!  ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #702 on: January 28, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »
make it hap'n capt'n!

haha

makes me wonder how we're both strong as balls in the complete opposite lifts of each other!  ;D

I'll trade ya a few ell bees if ya like! ;)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #703 on: January 28, 2008, 05:50:59 PM »
I'll trade ya a few ell bees if ya like! ;)

we'll negotiate pending my squat numbers come this next monday!  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #704 on: January 30, 2008, 04:17:52 PM »
ME upper body...

bench (92% of 1rm)
barx20x2
135x10x1
225x3x1
315x2x1
340x2x6

was only going to do 5 sets with 340 but it was grooving so well that I did another and still have plenty in the tank.. GREAT pressing and shoulder felt awesome!

push presses

135x6x1
185x6x1
225x7x1  :o  3 rep PR! and was effortless! I was told my stance was WAY too narrow and when I widened it this shit became SO much easier!

banded dumbbell jm's (with monster mini's)
60lbsx8x3

dumbell rows
100x8x1
140x8x1
180x8x1
200x8x1

not only did I SMOKE the previous weight I used but did it easily.. and this is why I pay to go to metroflex... 200lb dumbbells bitches!

DAMN I love putting on a show!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #705 on: February 01, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »
DE lowerbody

box squats

barx20x1
bar+choked monster mini's and blue bands (280/120)
135x5x1
225x2x1
315x2x1
365x2x8 (645 at the top/485 at the bottom)

speed pulls off 4" box

135x3x1
315x1x1
405x1x8 and FAST!

dumbbell shrugs

125'sx100x2  2 sets of 100 have cramped my neck up pretty well!

dumbbell preachers

30lbsx10x1
50lbsx10x1
70lbsx8x1

dumbbell concentration curls

30lbsx12x2

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #706 on: February 03, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
DE upper body...

bench ( 50% of 1RM)

barx20x2
135x10x1
185x5x1
added choked monster mini's
185x5x8

floor presses

135x8x1
225x8x1
315x6x1+3rp after rerack and regrip immediately back into it.. felt good. I noticed I have to stop fighting the bar on the way down and I KNOW I do it. When it knocks me out of the groove I ALWAYS rerack and regrip and go again. I'll keep going until I get 10 total 315 reps and then bump the reps up to 10 on everything.

The new plan is... HEAVY tricep barbell work for accessories on the DE bench day and HEAVY barbell delt work on ME bench days. I'm also rotating bent over barbell rows with cs rows on DE days and keeping heavy dumbbell rows on my ME bench day since I'm over at metroflex. The plan seems to be working. I'm getting faster and faster and stronger in ALL my lifts now AND technique work is starting to show it's benefits. Especially in my ME bench work in the 90% or higher range. I'm pressing fast and strong without much effort.

cs rows

1platex15x1 slow and stretched at the bottom of each rep for 15
2platesx8x1
4platesx8x1
6platesx6x1 new pr!! my goal is to max the machine at 7...

dumbbell front raises

35lbsx6x1
50lbsx6x1
70lbsx6x1

elbow rehab... 50 overhand pressdowns and 50 underhand pressdowns

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #707 on: February 03, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
you should work heavy barbell triceps extensions on the flat bench in there too, i know Simmons is a big believer in db extensions but the bar really overloads the tris.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #708 on: February 03, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »
you should work heavy barbell triceps extensions on the flat bench in there too, i know Simmons is a big believer in db extensions but the bar really overloads the tris.

I when I do them I do barbell jm's or dumbbell jm's with bands..they feel pretty damn good. Those and cg floors keep my elbows from getting squirrely..with lying extensions I get my elbows flaring REAL wide and I don't do that when I bench so I don't do them often.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #709 on: February 03, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »
I when I do them I do barbell jm's or dumbbell jm's with bands..they feel pretty damn good. Those and cg floors keep my elbows from getting squirrely..with lying extensions I get my elbows flaring REAL wide and I don't do that when I bench so I don't do them often.
nothing wrong with letting the elbows flare a little when you do extensions and pushdowns, that's the natural path of the elbows anyway, i'm not saying that elbows in triceps movements don't work but the elbows flared out extensions train the triceps more in the way you use them when you bench, the weight moves in a straight line with the elbows flared out lust like when you bench, plus you can use more weight.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #710 on: February 05, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
ME lowerbody

parallel free weight box squats

135x10x1
225x10x1
315x2x1
405x2x1
500x2x1
585x1x1
625xmiss...BAD walk out... instead of trying to correct, I just reracked it.
625x1x1  SMOKED IT! NEW SQUAT PR!!! AND IT WAS EASY AS FUCK!!!  I went down fast and just exploded the moment I touched the box! I'm still pumped about it!
645xmiss... got ballsy after an easy 625...no go.

sumo deads (supposed to help build up the hip power)

135x5x1
315x3x1
500x3x1
605x3x1....after maxing on box squats..not only did I meet my sumo dead goal of 600 by 5lbs but I tripled it!

barbell shrugs

135x20x1
315x20x1
500x20x2

hammer curls

40lbsx8x1
60lbsx8x1
80lbsx8x1

dumbbell preacher curls

60lbsx8x3

talk about a kickass day! 645 would've been awesome! Maybe in about 5-6 more weeks we'll find out if I can get it! It's strange that I'm finally squatting in the low 600's no problem and SMOKED my PR, MADE my goal...but I'm still not totally thrilled because I missed 645. I think I'm abit obsessive.  Tomorrow I bench. I max my bench in two weeks. Here's hoping for a 15lb gain or better!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #711 on: February 06, 2008, 04:14:19 PM »
ME bench (94% of 1rm)  supposed to be 347 but I rounded up to 350...

barx20x2
135x10x1
225x6x1
315x2x1
350x2x6  NO PROBLEM!

next week is 355 for 6 sets of doubles..then a deload and then a new max attempt!

standing push press

barx20x1
135x8x1
185x8x1
225x8x1

dumbbell banded jm's with monster minis

60lbsx10x3.... way too easy. I need to change up my exercise choices now.

dumbell rows

125x20x3 ...seemed pointless since I wasn't at metroflex to use heavier shit but I stuck to the routine anyway.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #712 on: February 06, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
do you ever see Ronnie, Branch or any of the rest of those monsters at Metro when you go there?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #713 on: February 06, 2008, 04:23:23 PM »
do you ever see Ronnie, Branch or any of the rest of those monsters at Metro when you go there?

you know what..I've seen a few big am guys and jay moore but that's it. I'm told ronnie works out at home most of the time and branch works out in southlake or at strouds but I only go there once a week. Not enough to be in the IN crowd lol

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #714 on: February 06, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »
you know what..I've seen a few big am guys and jay moore but that's it. I'm told ronnie works out at home most of the time and branch works out in southlake or at strouds but I only go there once a week. Not enough to be in the IN crowd lol
yeah i think Branch has his own gym over there in Southlake, i remember JOJ training at Strouds in one of the BFTO vids i have, Brian Dobson seems like a pretty wild dude.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #715 on: February 06, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
yeah i think Branch has his own gym over there in Southlake, i remember JOJ training at Strouds in one of the BFTO vids i have, Brian Dobson seems like a pretty wild dude.

very wild and VERY nice and helpful...dude is always in a good mood and always trying to motivate people in the gym. Stand up dude for sure.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #716 on: February 06, 2008, 04:46:19 PM »
very wild and VERY nice and helpful...dude is always in a good mood and always trying to motivate people in the gym. Stand up dude for sure.
yeah he seems like it, i can't tell you how much i wish he owned my gym, they're on a fucckin' tear at my place about the "rules", no chalk, no gym bags on the floor and stupid shit like that, they're actually threatening to cancel people's memberships. ::)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #717 on: February 06, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »
yeah he seems like it, i can't tell you how much i wish he owned my gym, they're on a fucckin' tear at my place about the "rules", no chalk, no gym bags on the floor and stupid shit like that, they're actually threatening to cancel people's memberships. ::)

i'd cancel my membership over the gym bag rule alone..i'm not going to my fucking locker to get wraps..then bands..or a belt..etc. when I need it instead of carrying it aroudn with me. I use alot of shit in my bag. FUCK THAT!

time to find a new gym man..even if it means driving a little farther.

la fitness where I workout most of the time has a no chalk rule but I never get bitched at about it because I don't make a mess. Some people sling it around like they're decorating for christmas and want to know why they can't use chalk.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #718 on: February 06, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »

i'd cancel my membership over the gym bag rule alone..i'm not going to my fucking locker to get wraps..then bands..or a belt..etc. when I need it instead of carrying it aroudn with me. I use alot of shit in my bag. FUCK THAT!

time to find a new gym man..even if it means driving a little farther.

la fitness where I workout most of the time has a no chalk rule but I never get bitched at about it because I don't make a mess. Some people sling it around like they're decorating for christmas and want to know why they can't use chalk.
yeah for awhile what i would do is break off a piece of chalk and carry it in my pocket and just apply it to my hands over the garbage can so it wouldn't get on the floor but you always get a little on the floor, good thing is that ther's 4 gyms included in my membership so i just go to another one to train back.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #719 on: February 06, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »
yeah for awhile what i would do is break off a piece of chalk and carry it in my pocket and just apply it to my hands over the garbage can so it wouldn't get on the floor but you always get a little on the floor, good thing is that ther's 4 gyms included in my membership so i just go to another one to train back.

HAHA that's a good idea. I might be moving to strouds here soon though depending..metroflex is a 40 minute drive for me. Stroud's is right down the street. And I'm paying for two memberships when maybe one is all I'll need.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #720 on: February 06, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »
sounds like those squats are getting pretty crazy man, good stuff.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #721 on: February 06, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »

definitely true!  Nice squattin!

Jason

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #722 on: February 06, 2008, 05:07:54 PM »

well when you get your head out of your ass and believe in yourself you tend to do shit you didnt' think you could do..

it's why i need to be in a powerlifting environment.. The more people around you to motivate you and push you the better your gains I'm told. I'd love to have a 1700 raw total... here's hoping by the end of the year...I'm knocking on the door of a 400lb or better bench again and will have it no problem..I'm pulling 650-675 depending on how I feel that day no problem and now I'm squatting in the low 600's.  Not world class but strong none the less.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #723 on: February 06, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
definitely true!  Nice squattin!

Jason

thanks guys...

hey jason how much do you think me never doing ab work truly effects my squats?!

When I do them I do them on decline benches with 2 45's on my chest for situps and static holds or use a rope and do cable crunches with the stack for sets like it's nothing. I HAVE strong abs but I never work them. Should I put more effort into them or what?  I have no obliques though... what's a good exercise for them?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #724 on: February 06, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »
thanks guys...

hey jason how much do you think me never doing ab work truly effects my squats?!

When I do them I do them on decline benches with 2 45's on my chest for situps and static holds or use a rope and do cable crunches with the stack for sets like it's nothing. I HAVE strong abs but I never work them. Should I put more effort into them or what?  I have no obliques though... what's a good exercise for them?

Not doing abs is HUGELY DETRIMENTAL to your squat.  For obliques, try 1 handed deadlifts done suitcase style. Bend down and pick it up from the side like you would a suitcase.

Jason