Author Topic: Honour's Log "Back in the gym"  (Read 38547 times)

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
Honour's Log "Back in the gym"
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »
  Hey all  :). So after making a few changes at work (less pay but less hours) I will finally have time to join back at a gym near me. Up until a few weeks ago i was working close to a 60 hour week and just did not have time between raising my kids and work to justify joining a gym, after all i would only really get time to go on the weekends and i just couldn't justify spending $50 (AU) a month for a few workouts here and there. Those with a young family will surly understand this  :).

For the past few years I have been working out at home with the following equipment (shown in pic).

Basic Power Rack
14kg Adjustable Dumbells
Adjustable DB bench
EZ curl bar

This is the general program I have been working off with slight changes here and there. I usually like to use the "Push/Pull" method eg Chest/tri Back/Bi. I feel that i just dont get fully rested if do say Chest/bi on day one and then Back/tri etc on day 2.

Day 1 Chest and Tris

Pushups (3 sets to Warm up)
Dips (3 sets to failure, normally about 30+ reps)
Incline DB presses (3 sets of about 20 reps, remember i only have very light weight to work with)
Bench dip Drop sets (3 sets with added weight to Failure)
DB kickbacks (3 sets of around 10-15 reps)

Day 2 Back and Bi's

Bent over BB rows ( 2 warm up sets followed by 3 work sets)
Wide grip Chins (3 sets to failure, normally about 15-20 reps)
Close grip Underhand Chins (3 sets to Failure)
EZ bar curls (3 sets 8-12 reps)
Seated DB curls (3 sets 10-15 reps)
Concentration curls (2 or so sets to finish off)

Day 3 Shoulders and Legs

Side laterals ( 2 sets to warm up)
Seated BB (EZbar) presses (4 sets assending to failure)
DB side laterals ( 3 sets 12-15 reps)
DB front raises (3 sets 12-15 reps)
Squats (3 sets of around 20 reps)
Lunges ( 3 sets around 15 reps each leg)

These are my cold measurements atm
Height = 5'9 1/2
Weight = 77kg
Arms R=15 L=15
Waist = 32 1/2
Chest = 41
Shoulders = 43 1/2
Calf's R=15 1/2 L=15
Quads (note i have taken these from a scar on my leg so that i measure at the same point every time, so this is by no means the biggest part of my quad, its really just for myself so i know how I'm going) R=17 1/2 L=17 3/4

Before people start to bag me out :P keep in mind that with the equipment I have had available to me I have done the best I could to make my workouts as tough as I could. Motivation when working out like this is always a problem as well. The hardest days where always shoulders and legs, just trying to manover the weights into position to be able do do things like shoulder press and squats was quite hard in itself and sometimes more than a little dangerous when fatigued. To be honest I think that what Trap development I have is more due to trying to get into position than to any actually excesses i have done for them.

Due to the lack of weights, reps have always been quite high, so I am hoping that when I hit the gym the added weight and lower reps should shock my body into some decent changes over the first few months :D.

My eating is normally very clean and i will be trying to up my protein a little as well but generally I will be keeping my diet high in protein with moderate carbs and low fat.

As for supplements I basically take a Protein powder twice a day along with some multivitamins etc. I may also get some Glutamine and add some Flaxseed oil etc.

I am fully Natural (at 77kg if i wasn't there would be a problem  ;D) and have no plans to change that till the make it safe, legal and cheaper  ;), but I have no problems whatsoever with people who chose to go on the "gear" either, the way I see it we are all brothers in this game  8).

Well there you have it. I know that i have a long way to go and i really just have what some may call a swimmers physique atm, but i hope to be able to add quite a bit of muscle over the next year or so. I'm actually really excited to get back into the real deal and start throwing around some heavy iron and to get back onto a BB bench (oh god thats gona hurt for the first few days ;D) I'll try get some pics from the Gym I'm joining and post a few pics of my progress as I go along. I'll start to list weights and reps as well but I'll probably be a little embarrassed about my poundages etc to begin with so go easy on me ok 8). Any comments or sugestions are more than welcome  :).

Anyway thanks for reading....

Peace  8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Honour's Log "Back in the gym"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:08:58 PM »
welcome to the logbook! I can't wait to see how this works out for you. Glad to have you back in the game bro.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:20:02 PM »
welcome to the logbook! I can't wait to see how this works out for you. Glad to have you back in the game bro.
Cheers mate, I was a bit hesitant to post this here but i figured what the hell, i hope i will look back one day and laugh at how skinny i was. It will also give me extra motivation as well which is always a good thing. I figure I'll add another pic every month or so and hopefully see some changes. Thanks again  :).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
very few people have the sack to post here. Your only motivation should be your own and no one else's. Sounds like you've got your shit together man. I'm curious to see how it works out as well! STICK IT TO'EM!

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
First Day back at the gym today, man I have a long way to go  ;D. I found that it is going to take me quite a while to get my body back in the swing of different excesses etc. Bench felt really awkward and i kept weight waaaaay lol  :P. Just felt weird on my shoulders and as for the first few weeks i think ill play it safe and just get the flow back before i start to up the weights too much.

Chest/Tri

Pushups (3 sets warm up of 20 reps)
Flat BB Bench Press (3 sets of 12 reps 50kg) Yeah i know i know  ::).
Incline DB presses ( 3 sets 10reps with 15kg)
Hammer style Bench press ( 3 sets 10 reps with 50 kg)
Dips (3 sets 20 reps)
Tri pushdowns Rope ( 2 sets 20 kg i think it was)
EZ bar Bench Press ( 2 sets 30kg)

Felt like a bit of a tool with the girly weight but I'm being fully honest with the weights and my measurements etc that I'm listing in this Log  8).

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »
BTW the Gym is fantastic, quite hardcore, no aerobics and junk like that. It's called "Spartans" and i joined with the....wait for it...."300" deal  :D hahaha.  I'll post a few shots here soon. TBH there is a lot of gear that I'm not 100% how to use, but i guess it doesn't really matter to me as I'm more of a free weight kind of guy anyway ;D.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 01:58:27 AM »
Day 2 Back/Bi

Wide grip Pulldowns (3 sets to warm up)
Chins (3 sets 15 reps each)
BB Rows Underhand (3 sets)
T bar Rows (3 sets)
Cable rows (3 sets)
EZ bar curls (3 sets 12 reps)
DB Alt Curls (3 sets 10 reps)
DB 1 arm Preacher Curls (2 sets 8 reps)

Hmmm feeling really wasted on Bi's by the time I got to them. Not used to all the new equipment to play with on back and am thinking that I may have to switch to a Chest/Bi routine instead. I'll have to think about it I guess.
Bought some Glutamine and Flaxseed oil today. Am thinking of leaving the high protein low carb behind for a bit and adding some more carbs to help with bulk.
Darn I love this new gym ;D.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:03:13 AM »
Day 3 Shoulders

Seated Shoulder Machine press (4 assending sets to warm up)
Seated DB presses (4 sets 10 reps)
DB side laterals (4 sets 10 reps)
DB front raises (4 sets 10 reps)

Not a bad workout was quite quick but felt pretty good. Was a little shaky on the DB presses but probably since I have not done them for a while ;).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 05:09:16 AM »
Day 3 Shoulders

Seated Shoulder Machine press (4 assending sets to warm up)
Seated DB presses (4 sets 10 reps)
DB side laterals (4 sets 10 reps)
DB front raises (4 sets 10 reps)

Not a bad workout was quite quick but felt pretty good. Was a little shaky on the DB presses but probably since I have not done them for a while ;).

DAMN! like to do shoulder work do ya?! :D

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 06:28:11 PM »
DAMN! like to do shoulder work do ya?! :D
LOL i really feel i need to bring up my shoulders, I feel they are my weakest body part. I had a shoulder separation a few years back playing football and to be honest I'm always a little worried about it. I think from here on I'll be going to smith machine presses instead of DB's till i feel a little safer. But at the same time i probably need to do the DB's to build some extra strength in the auxiliary muscles to support the area.....decisions decisions ::).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 05:15:33 AM »
LOL i really feel i need to bring up my shoulders, I feel they are my weakest body part. I had a shoulder separation a few years back playing football and to be honest I'm always a little worried about it. I think from here on I'll be going to smith machine presses instead of DB's till i feel a little safer. But at the same time i probably need to do the DB's to build some extra strength in the auxiliary muscles to support the area.....decisions decisions ::).

YEP! Which is why I do dumbbell presses after my barbell benching. I had a bad shoulder injury last year and now I've worked my way back up but don't want to risk the little "helper" muscles. So I always do dumbbell work to make up for what I miss with teh barbell.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »
I have Rearanged my Split as the old one was just not giving me enough rest and i just didn't seem to have the energy to work Bi after Back and Tri after Chest etc :-\. Here is the new split.....

Day 1  Chest/Bi
Day 2  Legs
Day 3  Rest (if needed)
Day 4  Shoulders/Tri
Day 5  Back
Day 6  Rest

I have been using this for the last week and it seems to be going quite well. Just feel like i have more energy to use on Bi's and Tri's. I'm also finding that the amount of rest I'm getting and the time between each Muscle group getting hit is just right. I'll keep track of it and see how i go.

On another note I was feeling quite strong on chest this week and started moving up the DB rack a little, still not going to go nuts but am feeling quite good :). Back was a little sloppy this week tho and I just couldn't get a great pump, but i think it's more because i was just tired from lack of sleep on back day.

Here is a pic of the gym that I'm at atm, i think one of my probs on back day was because i was trying out some of the rowing machines etc ;D.

Will post my workouts and weights again next week once i have my routine down a little better ;), just so many differant equipment to chose from, i'm not used to it ;D.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
DMAN that's a nice looking gym you've got there man! Not all fluffy and frilly and shiney like my LA fitness.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »
DMAN that's a nice looking gym you've got there man! Not all fluffy and frilly and shiney like my LA fitness.
Yeah the Gym is really good, best one I've ever been too tbh, not that many hardcore ones down here. If ya get a chance take a quick pic of it inside there for us Wicked.

Chest today (I'll do Bi's tomorrow as i had to drop by work)

Pushups (3 sets warm up)
Flat BB Bench (warm up 50kg 20 reps, 3 sets 10 reps 70 kg) Felt a bit better on the bench today, not as wobbly and didn't feel to bad, could have gone heavier.
DB Incline Press ( 3 sets assending to 70p)
Dips (3 sets of 25 with pushups at finish)

Felt quite good today, extra food is helping. May try to up the BB bench next time as I felt like i could have done more but I'm still playing it safe :).

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 09:45:38 PM »
Legs/Bi's

Squats (2 warm up sets. 3 sets 15 reps......50kg :P. Once again I'm still getting back into leg training so I'm taking it slow)
Leg extentions (3 sets 15 reps)
Lying leg curls (3 sets 15 reps)

EZ bar curls (2 warm up sets. Then 2 sets of 10 reps)
Seated Alt DB curls (3 Drop sets of around 15-20 total reps, felt real good 8))
Preacher curls EZ bar (3 sets 10 res to failure)
Concentration curls (1 set to finish off about 8 reps)

Good workout :).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 07:09:05 PM »
damn man? you some kinda glutton for punishment?  :D ;D

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 01:06:58 AM »
damn man? you some kinda glutton for punishment?  :D ;D

Yeah but put it in perspective a little....I'm squatting 50kg atm :P, its not exactly killing me ;D. I could do more but at this stage im going small gains week to week. But tbh as i take in more food i feel a lot more energy in the gym and am feeling much better than when i was just High Protein etc......the added carbs help a ton energy wise :).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 05:19:22 AM »
Yeah but put it in perspective a little....I'm squatting 50kg atm :P, its not exactly killing me ;D. I could do more but at this stage im going small gains week to week. But tbh as i take in more food i feel a lot more energy in the gym and am feeling much better than when i was just High Protein etc......the added carbs help a ton energy wise :).

HAHA yeah no shit. The carbs,especially when I started eating alot of them, make you feel like you could rip the doors off a car! Do you eat them at certain points throughout the day or just take them in whenever? If you can do more weight? Why don't you?

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 05:40:17 AM »
Do you eat them at certain points throughout the day or just take them in whenever? If you can do more weight? Why don't you?
Yeah i only really eat my carbs in the morning to give me some energy for my workout then i back off after lunch. The times that is hard is about now, it's 10:30 pm here now and I'm sitting watching the rugby on TV and am hungry as hell ;D. Going to have 6 eggs i think to tide me over. Feel like a pizza or something though lol ;D.

Yeah i am moving up in the weight, i am just being real careful atm. I'm pretty paranoid about doing an injury so I'm taking it slow. I just have not worked legs for a couple of years so it's hard as hell atm ;D, going to try to add like 10kg a week to my squats and take it from there 8).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 05:48:53 AM »
Yeah i only really eat my carbs in the morning to give me some energy for my workout then i back off after lunch. The times that is hard is about now, it's 10:30 pm here now and I'm sitting watching the rugby on TV and am hungry as hell ;D. Going to have 6 eggs i think to tide me over. Feel like a pizza or something though lol ;D.

Yeah i am moving up in the weight, i am just being real careful atm. I'm pretty paranoid about doing an injury so I'm taking it slow. I just have not worked legs for a couple of years so it's hard as hell atm ;D, going to try to add like 10kg a week to my squats and take it from there 8).

HAHA! I remember my first leg day back in the gym. I did ONE SET OF SQUATS and thought I was going to die. I like how you train with your brain too which very few people don't. Taking it slow and steady will ensure you make solid gains injury free.  Once you start seeing warning signs you know it's time to sit back and take a look at what's going on and prevent it from continuing down the road to a possible injury.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 05:52:25 AM »
Shoulders/Tris

Seated machine press (3 assending warm up sets then 3 work sets 8-10 reps)
Lateral raises (3 drop sets about 15-20 total reps....nearly killed me ;D)
Upright rows (3 sets 10 reps)
Tri pushdowns (3 sets 10 reps)
Scull crushers (3 sets 8 reps, these felt great, haven't done them for ages but will keep em in from here on)

Very good workout. Need to take a pen and pad to write down weights etc as i can never remember once i get to the computer 8).

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 05:56:35 AM »
lol yeah squats are the best, thing is i feel so wonky and awkward atm that i think i need to just take it slow for now till the stabilisers kick in and give me some support and control. Meh all in good time ;).

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 06:01:37 AM »
lol yeah squats are the best, thing is i feel so wonky and awkward atm that i think i need to just take it slow for now till the stabilisers kick in and give me some support and control. Meh all in good time ;).

Man I thought I was the shit when I hit 225 for the first time on my squats. Just like any other exercise, you've got to get used to the movement before going up in big weight. Want to talk about feeling wonky, you should've seen all the moving and shaking I was doing when I unracked 500lbs. It's just not my time yet.  ;D

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 12:47:08 AM »
Ok so here is the rack that goes the highest in my gym, they have 170s:o that are on the floor but they are just a little out of my range atm ;D. There is another Rack with the 100's and 110's on it as well.

Below is where i was when i started back in the gym at the end of MAY for my Low incline Presses.

And Below is where I am now. Nothing to really brag about I know but I am slowly moving up the rack 8).

I'm going to keep posting this pic whenever I move up to another Set of DB's that I can handle for 8 reps or with good form. Of course I know I won't be hitting the 120s etc anytime soon but I just plan to slowly but surely keep moving up the rack and hope that my body responds with some added muscle along the way.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 01:13:06 AM »
Chest (Soooo cold today, had to ride the bike for 10 min just to warmup)

Pushups (3 sets warmup)
Flat BB press (1 warm up 3 work sets 10 reps 70kgs, will move up another 10kg next time)
Incline DB press (3 sets of 10 reps 55s)
Dips (2 sets of 25 reps followed by pushups to failure, felt very good, I'll look into getting some hooks to add some weight for next time)

Not a bad workout, still a bit wonky on the flat bench but feel i will move up on DB's next workout.