Author Topic: Chest Training  (Read 45275 times)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Re: Chest Training
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »
Today was chest training day.  For a long time I have been starting my work out the same way with incline BB press, then 3 more exercises.  I will usually do a pushing exercise then a flying type exercise, 2 of each  For 4 sets each meaning about 16 sets for chest not including warm up sets.

This time for variety's sake and to keep things interesting I did the workout backward.  So I pretty much started with what I normally finish with, felt good and got a great pump on the first exercise.

Pec deck flys  4x10-12

Hammer incline press  4x8-12  Got pretty heavy on these

Shallow incline DB flys  4x10-12 up to 70lbs

Smith machine incline press  4-10-12

Its kind of a pre-exhaust workout.  You do an isolation exercise first to work the muscle directly.  Then the idea is to further pound the muscle in this case pecs into the ground with a compound exercise.  By doing this the ancillary muscles triceps and deltoids to some degree assist allowing you to push the already fatigued pecs harder.

i like to do this type of workout on occasion.  Most people don't like to do them cause they cant lift as much on the big lift when it is time to do them  :)  But it can pay off if used properly and you push hard enough.

That vid of you incline pressing 315 for reps was sick. Do you only do freeweight barbell movements?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2008, 03:33:52 AM »
That vid of you incline pressing 315 for reps was sick. Do you only do freeweight barbell movements?

Hey DP thanks.  That was like less then 5 weeks out from my last comp also.  At my present shall we say "bulked up" LOL weight I have been getting 7 clean reps with that just a tiny assist for the 8 rep, so i have been feeling strong.

I will at times use the smith machine, I use the smith machine always for shoulder presses, just safer.  I have pretty much stopped all DB pressing, just gets too risky for hurting myself when the DB's get big, not worth it anymore IMO.  Plus I think you can move more weight and stress/overload the muscle more with the BB.  I will also use a machine or 2 for chest, there are some good ones out there.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2008, 08:22:07 AM »
Hey DP thanks.  That was like less then 5 weeks out from my last comp also.  At my present shall we say "bulked up" LOL weight I have been getting 7 clean reps with that just a tiny assist for the 8 rep, so i have been feeling strong.

I will at times use the smith machine, I use the smith machine always for shoulder presses, just safer.  I have pretty much stopped all DB pressing, just gets too risky for hurting myself when the DB's get big, not worth it anymore IMO.  Plus I think you can move more weight and stress/overload the muscle more with the BB.  I will also use a machine or 2 for chest, there are some good ones out there.

Thats a lot of weight to be moving for incline.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »
Here's my latest bench vid...I posted this in my thread on the PL board, but I figured I would post it here too. 
Chains are 73 pounds total, so it's somewhere around 208 pounds at the top (a little lighter cuz some is still on the ground...I adjusted the chains after I saw this). 

I love benching!   :D

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
Damn Rip that was STRONG!  :o

Very nice, animal!  :)