Author Topic: What kind of dog should I get????  (Read 19062 times)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: What kind of dog should I get????
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »
Every time I hear someone attribute a dogs bad behavior to the breed I want to smash them in the head with a ball-peen hammer.  Ignorance, flat out ignorance.

Ummmmm. . . wow.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 09:24:02 AM »
Ummmmm. . . wow.

Yeah.  I was so literal there...I actually had to take my ball-peen hammer out of my back pocket just to sit down...

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:34 AM »
I say get one of these:

I'd like to get one to give our other dog a friend

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
Isn't that what Ving Rhames had?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »
no idea

Just like the dog

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2007, 12:56:13 PM »
Isn't that what Ving Rhames had?

No.  Rhames had Filas.  The picture is of a Boerboel.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007, 01:08:04 PM »
Isn't anyone listening to Mindspin's criteria  ???
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »
Isn't anyone listening to Mindspin's criteria  ???

I think we are Pricess....but at this point....he's pretty much on his own.

Honestly, he has a few requirements that limit what he wants.

He just needs to take a trip to the shelter & pick out a medioum sized, short hair, strong for hiking but not overly energized pup dog.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 02:55:48 PM »
I think we are Pricess....but at this point....he's pretty much on his own.

Honestly, he has a few requirements that limit what he wants.

He just needs to take a trip to the shelter & pick out a medioum sized, short hair, strong for hiking but not overly energized pup dog.

I still think he should get a dog from a breeder being that he has children in the house.  Picking a dog from a shelter can be very misleading although I wish more people adopted from there, since it is an awesome thing to do.

I also agree on the mini bull terrier, although I am not sure how they'd fare at hiking, in which case I'd pick a breed that you knew could handle it.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »
I still think he should get a dog from a breeder being that he has children in the house.  Picking a dog from a shelter can be very misleading although I wish more people adopted from there, since it is an awesome thing to do.

I also agree on the mini bull terrier, although I am not sure how they'd fare at hiking, in which case I'd pick a breed that you knew could handle it.

getting a puppy from a breeder doesn't always ensure what you're saying.

getting a puppy/young dog from a shelter (IMO) is no different

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »
getting a puppy from a breeder doesn't always ensure what you're saying.

getting a puppy/young dog from a shelter (IMO) is no different

With a reputable breeder, you can see the parents and see the entire litter.  You can ensure health, have better chances of the dogs having good hips, and ensure mental stability. 

A lot of rescues are sweetie pies in the kennel and monsters at home.  This could be due to a million reasons, but I still think with children in the house it is a risk, depending on the breed/shelter.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »
I hear ya.....

but do you know how many times I've heard.....

"Huh....his parents never did that"

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »
I hear ya.....

but do you know how many times I've heard.....

"Huh....his parents never did that"

Lol, I know.  I'm saying, generally speaking.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2007, 05:56:03 PM »
Lol, I know.  I'm saying, generally speaking.

Yeah....not only that.....

I had the luxury to visit & see the other pups from my dogs litter.

They all had their own unique personalities & some....had things none of the parents shared.

My dog...is sooo much like his father...it's scary.  Where as all of the other pups in the litter...are nothing like him.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 09:55:33 PM »
I think Uncle Geo's crazy Stella would be perfect!

...an Aussie mix or mini Aussie or the Benji (schnoodle) on the first page.

:

body88

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »
That seems like a GREAT option.  What cute pics....

I am going to get one myself. As you know I have an American bulldog, but I think that breed may be a bit large for you.

You can get miniature bull terriers in a variety of colors. Some with spots some all one color. Very cute dogs. They are very unique looking and extremely playful. All the benefits of a small dog , but also muscular, athletic and very agile. Good with kids, short hair, wash and wear type of breed. They are very spunky, but your runs should take care of that energy just fine.

Check some out, you wont be sorry.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2007, 08:27:08 AM »
mindsping i was just wondering why you made comments on all the dogs suggested but didnt say anything about the apbt.  was wondering because they seem to fit most of the criteria you mentioned as far as being medium size(ave is about 50lbs),great with children, good family dog, better temperament than most breeds, athletic, great for going on hikes, easy to groom, dont bark much. anyway i was just curious if you were considering this breed?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 08:27:53 AM »
With a reputable breeder, you can see the parents and see the entire litter.  You can ensure health, have better chances of the dogs having good hips, and ensure mental stability. 

A lot of rescues are sweetie pies in the kennel and monsters at home.  This could be due to a million reasons, but I still think with children in the house it is a risk, depending on the breed/shelter.

can't agree with any of these statements...i love hearing the reputable breeded thing..not all are bad but you cannot ensure health, or mental stability from a breeder's dog...my sister has a 7 year old yorkie from a supposed great breeder and he has had more than his share of health problems, hospital stays, and has bitten 5 people...just one of many examples of that type that show up in the shelter i was at..oh, he was cute as a puppy but we don't have time anymore...or the oh the breeder said i didn't have to walk him much...but now he wants to go out all the time..shelter dogs were and are breeders' dogs.

if the dog is a monster at home then it's up the owner to train, and discipline that monster and not blame it on shelter life...most of the dogs in shelters started off as cute, adorable, breeder born pups that lost that cute adorable look once someone realized they become a responsibility...shelter dogs weren't born in the shelter..they were owned by some pretentious jerk who thought that dumping responsibility at someone else's door solves everyone's problem.  take your ball peen hammer to yourself this time.. :P
footloose and fancy free

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »
can't agree with any of these statements...i love hearing the reputable breeded thing..not all are bad but you cannot ensure health, or mental stability from a breeder's dog...my sister has a 7 year old yorkie from a supposed great breeder and he has had more than his share of health problems, hospital stays, and has bitten 5 people...just one of many examples of that type that show up in the shelter i was at..oh, he was cute as a puppy but we don't have time anymore...or the oh the breeder said i didn't have to walk him much...but now he wants to go out all the time..shelter dogs were and are breeders' dogs.

if the dog is a monster at home then it's up the owner to train, and discipline that monster and not blame it on shelter life...most of the dogs in shelters started off as cute, adorable, breeder born pups that lost that cute adorable look once someone realized they become a responsibility...shelter dogs weren't born in the shelter..they were owned by some pretentious jerk who thought that dumping responsibility at someone else's door solves everyone's problem.  take your ball peen hammer to yourself this time.. :P

Your post shows how much you know about dogs

"and has bitten 5 people"

What does that have to do with the breeder they came from?  That is 100% the owners fault.

"or the oh the breeder said i didn't have to walk him much...but now he wants to go out all the time"

You have to walk every dog, and should for their mental health and proper exercise.  Anyone, breeder, Vet, anyone who tells you otherwise is a total moron.

You act like one yorkie's health problems show that breeders mean nothing. 

If you were only interested in getting the healthiest and mentally sound puppy...Would you rather have an 8 week old puppy from a rescue?  A puppy mill?  Or a ***********REPUTABLE************* breeder?  Odds say that the dog from the breeder is your best bet.  Don't be a jerkoff and come into this thread spouting that your sister has a yorkie that bit 5 people and that is a result of the breeder.  It is a result of your sister probably not walking the dog, letting it run the house and not disciplining it because it is "so cute, and it's my baby".

You sir, are a dumbass. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2007, 11:36:03 AM »
and i suppose you are the dog whisperer all of a sudden?  my point, and i'll give it to you barney style since you seem to be on a fourth or fifth grade mental capacity was that you can't gauge how a dog is going to whether from a breeder or a shelter. 

what odds are these? that guarantee that you'll get a better dog from a breeder? i'd like to see your studies that show what comes from breeders are better than what comes from assholes (like yourself it seems) that dump puppies and unwanted animals because of the lack of intelligence (again, like yourself it seems) on how to care for them...

I noticed that you chose to ignore the part where i stated that 90% of the dogs that come to shelters have come from some jackass (yes, again, like yourself) who failed to realize that it is a responsibility to care for a dog...why, did you ignore that part? or did you fail to read the rest of it because your ADD started to set in?

and you have the nerve to call me a dumbass? you couldn't even get the jist of my point which was stated in the first sentence...

footloose and fancy free

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2007, 11:39:57 AM »
and i suppose you are the dog whisperer all of a sudden?  my point, and i'll give it to you barney style since you seem to be on a fourth or fifth grade mental capacity was that you can't gauge how a dog is going to whether from a breeder or a shelter. 

what odds are these? that guarantee that you'll get a better dog from a breeder? i'd like to see your studies that show what comes from breeders are better than what comes from assholes (like yourself it seems) that dump puppies and unwanted animals because of the lack of intelligence (again, like yourself it seems) on how to care for them...

I noticed that you chose to ignore the part where i stated that 90% of the dogs that come to shelters have come from some jackass (yes, again, like yourself) who failed to realize that it is a responsibility to care for a dog...why, did you ignore that part? or did you fail to read the rest of it because your ADD started to set in?

and you have the nerve to call me a dumbass? you couldn't even get the jist of my point which was stated in the first sentence...

You are a dumbass, lol.  That is why I called you one. 

Scroll up and look at all the "Generally" speak coming from me and Knny. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 11:41:57 AM »
i'd rather not...idiot is not my first language..

footloose and fancy free

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2007, 11:45:36 AM »
i'd rather not...idiot is not my first language..

Not only am I an idiot, Knny is too now?  Wowwww ROCKYFORTUNE is kicking ass today.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2007, 11:45:36 AM »
yeah,,generally speaking you speak out your ass apparently..
footloose and fancy free

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »

What does that have to do with the breeder they came from?  That is 100% the owners fault.

maybe...maybe not

I'm not sure it's proven...but I have seen first hand some traits that are obviously passed on.

I never saw my dog's father until almost after a year we had him.  If I did not know any better....I could have mistaken it was the same goofy dog.  There's things he does that not every dog does & was amazed to see his father do the same.

I've seen this with some dogs that are just big lickers.  Their parents were lickers.  They weren't around their parents growing up so how did this trait get passed on?

Maybe it's so....maybe it's coincidence.