Author Topic: captains of the crush grippers  (Read 12437 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
captains of the crush grippers
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »
I'm waiting to get a captain gripper. I was looking at the no.3 since it's rated at 280lbs. What is that equivalent to?  If i can pick up farmers handles, dumbbells, and do reps with 600lb deadlifts... can i close one? Or am I trying to piss in too big a pot?!

Maybe i'll get them both.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: captains of the crush grippers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:55:29 AM »
you're comparing apples to oranges, lifting weights is lifting weights, closing a gripper is closing a gripper, you have to practice it to become good at it, call Ironmind and talk to the owner Randy Strossen and he'll tell you all about the grippers, how to train them, all the 750-800 pound deadlifters who had trouble closing the #2 and skinny 170 pound dudes like Joe Kinney from Tennessee who can close a #4 like it's paper, Dr. Strossen has a lot of knowledge and is always willing to talk to people over the phone if he has time.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:28:49 AM »
I'm waiting to get a captain gripper. I was looking at the no.3 since it's rated at 280lbs. What is that equivalent to?  If i can pick up farmers handles, dumbbells, and do reps with 600lb deadlifts... can i close one? Or am I trying to piss in too big a pot?!

Maybe i'll get them both.

probably should have started with the 1.5's and worked your way up,captains of crush are outstanding but if you start with 3's and you struggle with reps with it you're probably gonna be a stand still (grip strength wise)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »
I have really thick, short fingers with relatively thick palms, and as a result have struggled with holding a heavy deadlift bar.  I startd working with the COC's to try to increase my grip for deadlifting.  I have a #1-3  COC.   I personally started with the #1, worked up to a #2 and have been struggling with a #3.  The thing I noticed with using the COC is you have to train them like any other strength exercise, including cycling your training and if you stop working with them, you will regress.   I think you have tweety birds in your head or are some sort of a genetic freak if you are starting out with a #3.  Start lower and work your way up, it'll be more rewarding in the long run. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:45:11 AM »
I have really thick, short fingers with relatively thick palms, and as a result have struggled with holding a heavy deadlift bar.  I startd working with the COC's to try to increase my grip for deadlifting.  I have a #1-3  COC.   I personally started with the #1, worked up to a #2 and have been struggling with a #3.  The thing I noticed with using the COC is you have to train them like any other strength exercise, including cycling your training and if you stop working with them, you will regress.   I think you have tweety birds in your head or are some sort of a genetic freak if you are starting out with a #3.  Start lower and work your way up, it'll be more rewarding in the long run. 

yeah I ended up getting 1-3 just incase. They seem alot more convenient than that IVANKO gripper apparatus.. looks like something a freak shop would sell.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
yeah I ended up getting 1-3 just incase. They seem alot more convenient than that IVANKO gripper apparatus.. looks like something a freak shop would sell.

COC's are for endurance ,that's why they'll tell ya you should be able to close whatever one you're using ten times before ya move to the next higher one

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
i have 1, 2, 2.5, and 3 here at work...not a single person i work with can even think about closing the #2. only one construction guy can close it and he's a big dude with huge hands. i can close the #2 a few times but i haven't really messed with them in a few months. the #3 is a feat of strength, not many can even move it.

8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
i picked up two grippers here locally.. I got one that's a 150lb one that's just stupid.. i should've have even wasted my money and one that's 250 and I can close it 7 times each hand. I like it. It'll keep me from fidgeting. So when I can easily close this 250lb one.. I'm going to pick up the CC 3 which is rated at 275.

Overload how many times can you close the 3?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »
the #3 is 295lbs. and the #4 is 365lbs.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 05:13:46 PM »
the #3 is 295lbs. and the #4 is 365lbs.

HOLY SHIT!  :o

i've been squeezing on these things for a few hours now since I've had them.. do you jsut fuck aroudn with them whenever or do you really train them like you do everything else?

365lbs.. sweet jesus.. this same company i got mine from has a 400lb and 500lb version..a dn there's a picture on the prowriststraps.com website of a strongman sponsored competitor closing the 400lb one I think. IT's ridiculous...

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 05:19:30 PM »
HOLY SHIT!  :o

i've been squeezing on these things for a few hours now since I've had them.. do you jsut fuck aroudn with them whenever or do you really train them like you do everything else?

365lbs.. sweet jesus.. this same company i got mine from has a 400lb and 500lb version..a dn there's a picture on the prowriststraps.com website of a strongman sponsored competitor closing the 400lb one I think. IT's ridiculous...

the #4 COC gripper has only been close by like 5-6 guys in the world, up until 5-6 years ago only one man had closed it, some skinny freaky strong dude from Tennessee named Joe Kinney who could pop full soda cans.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »
the #4 COC gripper has only been close by like 5-6 guys in the world, up until 5-6 years ago only one man had closed it, some skinny freaky strong dude from Tennessee named Joe Kinney who could pop full soda cans.

The only person I've seen close it adn sTRUGGLE with it is magnus samuellson (sp?)  I see alot of yotube videos of people saying they're closing the 4 but I all you see is a nice lil bitch hand and a forearm about the size of my remote control... so I wonder teh validity of it. BUT then again you said the first guy to do it was some tiny dude.

AND MY MINI BANDS ARE IN!!! WOOOOOOOOO!

i feel like a tool to get excited about bands but damn...

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 02:33:13 AM »
I have them two weeks now, can't close the #2, still a 1mm to go with my right hand and about 5 mm with left.

#1 for 17 reps with my right hand.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 05:59:29 AM »
I can nearly close the no.3 grippers - they had them at the Olympia Expo a few years back and I gave them a try - I was less than a centimetre away from closing them.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 08:03:15 AM »
I can nearly close the no.3 grippers - they had them at the Olympia Expo a few years back and I gave them a try - I was less than a centimetre away from closing them.
::) bullshit.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 08:23:22 AM »
Haha, a centimeter from closure isn't "almost" my friend.

The last part is the hardest.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
Never tried them. Can anyone say that they are invaluable to grip training? Or just another part of grip training?

I am making a Rolling Thunder this weekend. I got a roller on ball bearings from work that supports up to 700lbs or so. I think it will hold up just fine! 8)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »
Overload how many times can you close the 3?

About a 1/4 inch from closing and i can't even budge it anymore.

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 07:55:49 AM »
About a 1/4 inch from closing and i can't even budge it anymore.

8)
bullshit, post a picture of yoruself doing this.

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »
I can close a #2 but get owned on a regular basis by a #3.  Might help my cause if I trained for them, but I think theyre fun to fuck with.

Jason

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »
I can close a #2 but get owned on a regular basis by a #3.  Might help my cause if I trained for them, but I think theyre fun to fuck with.

Jason

I second that.

I do negatives with the #3, where I force the #3 gripper together, with both hands, driving the gripping hand down into a bench.

Still cannot keep the #3 closed for even a slight moment, it opens up right away.

But this type of crushing has been the most effective to me (I could barely close the #1 when I first tried the grippers way back, or may have even missed it, don't remember).
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »
Check out this guy in his COC shirt ::):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L-n8_jZtfw0

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 05:46:55 PM »
Check out this guy in his COC shirt ::):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L-n8_jZtfw0

he's obviously on creatine

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 01:43:48 AM »
I did 2 singles with the #2 yesterday... I must be ungodly huge.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 06:18:24 AM »
I got a 300lb gripper on the way. I have a feeling I can get damn close if not close it on my right hand...

What sucks the most is right now I can only train wiht them every couple days to let my hand heal up. It hurts after working with them for awhile!