Author Topic: Iceland Facts  (Read 8648 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Iceland Facts
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2008, 05:38:45 AM »
Loco, the idea of heaven and hell differ between Christians and Jews. I'm interested to know why that is. Since both faiths worship the same God, shouldn't the message concerning the afterlife be the same? Not being a smart ass either.  Just would like to know.

This is true, and I don't have an answer for you at this time.  I do know that Judaism has many sects and that they disagree among themselves when it comes to the afterlife.  Christianity is considered by some to be another Jewish sect, given the fact that Jesus, his apostles and the early Christians were Jews. 

I also think that Jews generally place more emphasis on the present life than they do on the afterlife.  Christians, on the other hand, place a very high value on the present life too, but place an even higher value on the afterlife, since the present life is brief while the afterlife is for eternity.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »

Thanks, Deedee!  And Happy New Year!  I'm actually not claiming anything.  Just giving my personal opinion.  Statistics give us just numbers.  The cause and effect is up for interpretation, but we do need to do our best to find the cause and do something about it.  The suicide statistics are surprising and interesting to me.  I'm just throwing statistics out there in response to OzmO's question about atheists and suicide.  I did hear on the radio a couple of years ago that suicide rates in Switzerland are among the highest in the world, but they did not mention religion.  It was more about how money isn't everything.  Secularism in Europe contrasted with devotion to God in America is also very interesting to me and it raises many questions.

My point is mainly that the claim that religion poisons everything and that the world would be better off without God is false.

Using totally irrelevant points...
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2008, 05:45:42 AM »
Using totally irrelevant points...

If you say so.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »

Thanks, Deedee!  And Happy New Year!  I'm actually not claiming anything.  Just giving my personal opinion.  Statistics give us just numbers.  The cause and effect is up for interpretation, but we do need to do our best to find the cause and do something about it.  The suicide statistics are surprising and interesting to me.  I'm just throwing statistics out there in response to OzmO's question about atheists and suicide.  I did hear on the radio a couple of years ago that suicide rates in Switzerland are among the highest in the world, but they did not mention religion.  It was more about how money isn't everything.  Secularism in Europe contrasted with devotion to God in America is also very interesting to me and it raises many questions.

My point is mainly that the claim that religion poisons everything and that the world would be better off without God is false.

Happy New Year to you too!  :) I'm not sure that the US is all that much more devout in following the teachings of Jesus as you may think. In many areas of the US, people are dependent on the church and their fellow congregants (sp?) as a kind of social network. Career opportunities, safety net in case of illness, social relationships.  Much of what people get in more secular countries out of those clubs and activities Hedge mentioned.

Most suicides are the result of socio-economic hardships, mental illness, cultural pressures. It's been proven that inclimate weather is also a factor. The assisted suicides you speak of that are tolerated in more secular countries may be the ultimate act of compassion by a highly evolved, caring culture. (Assisted suicides generally refers to helping those who are ravaged by the extreme pain experienced with terminal illness and lingering in the final months without any shred of human dignity, not aiding some drunken teenager who just broke up with his girlfriend.)

Based on available data it seems that those who are isolated from others are more likely to off themselves. So, a depressed, lonely atheist is probably going to commit suicide long before a depressed Christian with access to a social community.  A depressed atheist with a social network is less likely to kill him/herself than a christian living in isolation.  We're pack animals.

I think the extraordinary murder rate in the US versus the rest of the civilized world is even more telling.