Author Topic: How does my workout look?  (Read 7440 times)

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
How does my workout look?
« on: January 02, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »
Monday---off

Tuesday--Dumbell curls x4
              Barbell curls  x3
              Rope cable pulls x3
              Machine back pulls x4
              Lat pulldowns x3

Wednesday--Leg Press x4
                  Triceps cables x4
                  Calf raises x4

Thursday--DB shoulder press(alternating) X4
               Upright rows cable x4
               Bentover Laterals x3
               DB shrugs x3

Friday--off

Saturday-- Machine bench press x4
                DB incline press x4
                Chest cables x4
                Leg extensions x4

Sunday--off

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: How does my workout look?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:35:36 PM »
IMO, you're doing WAY too little back work and you should work back before biceps anyway. No leg work besides leg extensions and presses, they seem kind of thrown in there. The one tricep move you're doing isn't a good mass builder, it just seems jumbled. The only decent day in the split is shoulders IMO. Tell us your goals and experience and maybe something better can be worked out. How are your results so far?

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
IMO, you're doing WAY too little back work and you should work back before biceps anyway. No leg work besides leg extensions and presses, they seem kind of thrown in there. The one tricep move you're doing isn't a good mass builder, it just seems jumbled. The only decent day in the split is shoulders IMO. Tell us your goals and experience and maybe something better can be worked out. How are your results so far?

I had rotator cuff surgery in February so I have lost alot of strength during the time off for rehab. I have always had a fairly athletic build. I am 6'4 215(probably about 22% BF) and I would like to get to about 225 with about 15% BF. I have always enjoyed working out but I always seem to get burnt out, so I thought I would put together a fairly simple routine until BB can become a part of my life.
If your wondering how I tore my RC, I play QB in a Flag Football league every year. I tore it in the 2006 summer league.

Thanx for all replies.

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:42:20 PM »
Correct me if Im wrong here.

I have always thought that if I workout one day, and the next couple days I am sore, doesnt that tell me that I have worked the muscles hard enough so that they will grow.
I seem to have a body that grows with not alot of weight being lifted. I guess it doesnt matter how much weight you lift as long as you are always feeling the pain the next couple days?

Is this true?

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:54:36 PM »
not necessarily, also just because one side or part of your muscle is sore it doenst mean you worked "the whole" muscle...you dont have almost anything for back one exercise for tris? they are def lacking....since you just had surgery i would recomend that drop the volume a little on shoulders and up it on back and tris not to mention legs.  what are your goals, how long do you have each day and how many days a week can you train then i can give you better  ideas..

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
not necessarily, also just because one side or part of your muscle is sore it doenst mean you worked "the whole" muscle...you dont have almost anything for back one exercise for tris? they are def lacking....since you just had surgery i would recomend that drop the volume a little on shoulders and up it on back and tris not to mention legs.  what are your goals, how long do you have each day and how many days a week can you train then i can give you better  ideas..

I have been doing the workout that I put up for about 1 month. Each workout lasts about 1 hour and I am very intense when I workout.
Since two of you have recommended I do more back work, I will. I will start my Tuesdays off doing back and end with biceps. I will also add one more back exercise.

Thanks fellas.

Anybody else, please feel free to comment.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »
for tuesday i'd start off with back. i probably would do curls followed by hammercurls as they hit differently. you can still alternate between dumbbell and bb curls, maybe every other workout.

for wednesday i'd do all legs. it's pretty good mentally to just focus on one muscle group when you get the chance... put leg extentions there and use it as a warm up exercise for your legpresses. and make legpress be the main exercise for legs. then you would need to add an exercise for back of the legs - legcurls. i'd finish off with both seated and standing calves. if you only can do one standing would be prefered. or you can alternate every workout.

for thursday: not sure upright rows is necessary if you do shrugs. plus injury risk is quite high on that exercise.

chest-day looks ok. i'd probably start off with db incline myself. but you can alter between machine press and incline db. or you could use machine presses more as a pump/warm-up exercise. there's variations there.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »
oh yeah if you had rotator cuff surgery i assume you discussed with an expert on how to go from there and train? need to look out so you dont make things worse, training shoulder and chest especially. dont you have a number of special rotator cuff exercises to do to strengthen it or something like that?
Z

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
oh yeah if you had rotator cuff surgery i assume you discussed with an expert on how to go from there and train? need to look out so you dont make things worse, training shoulder and chest especially. dont you have a number of special rotator cuff exercises to do to strengthen it or something like that?

Yes, I do have a couple warmups I do for my shoulders every time I workout.

I think I will rearrange my workout to look a little more like your recommendations, Bluto.

What do you think about me adding bent over DB rows? I have seen the pro's doing them on YOU TUBE and they look like they are a good builder...are they?

Thanks 4 the input.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 06:54:09 PM »
Wheres the Squats man!!!!!!!!  :o

Seriously, your really missing out on a great all round (not just for legs) exerice.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
Wheres the Squats man!!!!!!!!  :o

Seriously, your really missing out on a great all round (not just for legs) exerice.

I have tried squats. Everytime I do them I get through a few reps and then I start to see stars.....like im gonna black out. I dont like feeling that way. ;)

Do any of you guys experience that problem?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »
yup DB rows is good
Z

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »
Dear Diary,

I posted my routine on getbig, and they said I should do squats.  But they make me see stars, because they are hard to do.  I don't want to work hard, I just like curling the 15 pound dumbells and looking in the mirror imagining I look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club.

He's dreamy.

Anyway, no one yet has pointed out that unless I have been training for 20 years and reached the pinnacle of my chosen sport, my routine is terrible.  No one yet has said I need to get back to basics, drop the bullshit, squat, press and pull 3 times a week and eat so much people get nervous when I walk into the cafeteria.

But hopefully someone will.

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 01:31:34 AM »
for tuesday i'd start off with back. i probably would do curls followed by hammercurls as they hit differently. you can still alternate between dumbbell and bb curls, maybe every other workout.

for wednesday i'd do all legs. it's pretty good mentally to just focus on one muscle group when you get the chance... put leg extentions there and use it as a warm up exercise for your legpresses. and make legpress be the main exercise for legs. then you would need to add an exercise for back of the legs - legcurls. i'd finish off with both seated and standing calves. if you only can do one standing would be prefered. or you can alternate every workout.

for thursday: not sure upright rows is necessary if you do shrugs. plus injury risk is quite high on that exercise.

chest-day looks ok. i'd probably start off with db incline myself. but you can alter between machine press and incline db. or you could use machine presses more as a pump/warm-up exercise. there's variations there.

---I took your advise Bluto and did Back first on Tuesday night. I havent had that good of a Back workout in a long time. I guess when I did my arms first, they got so fatigued that I couldnt get a great back workout.
Its amazing how weak my arms were after I got done with my back(machine rows x4--lat pulls x4--dumbell rows x4).

I might just leave tuesdays for my back and do arms on wednesday with legs.

Thanks for the advise.

omgsoswole

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 03:48:31 AM »
I'd swap your machine work outs for a free weight alternative...if you get 'burnt out' quickly you still have room to reduce the volume of your workout, especially at your level of experience.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:17:29 AM »
IMO its a horrible workout routine

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 06:17:30 AM »
yea im with blade on this one WTF is this shit

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »
yea im with blade on this one WTF is this shit

Alright Blade and NGM, what would you guys do to improve my workout. I am fairly new at working out, so give me some advise.
Like I said before, I am 6'4 215 and my first GOAL is to get to 225.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 07:44:47 AM »
Monday---off

Tuesday--Dumbell curls x4
              Barbell curls  x3
              Rope cable pulls x3
              Machine back pulls x4
              Lat pulldowns x3

Wednesday--Leg Press x4
                  Triceps cables x4
                  Calf raises x4

Thursday--DB shoulder press(alternating) X4
               Upright rows cable x4
               Bentover Laterals x3
               DB shrugs x3

Friday--off

Saturday-- Machine bench press x4
                DB incline press x4
                Chest cables x4
                Leg extensions x4

Sunday--off

ok a few questions first why is there so little leg work and only one tri work and minimal back work is there reasoning for this or just you dont know?  answer those questions then we'll see

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 08:07:54 AM »
Arms:
Bis                                        Tris
Standing BB Curl                      EZ-Bar Skull Crushers
Seated Preacher DB Curl           Close Grip Bench
Standing Hammer DB Curl           Straight Bar Press Down

Chest                                     Back
Flat BB                                   Deadlifts
Decline BB                               Bent Over Row
Incline DB                               Straight Arm Pulldown 
Decline Fly                              Single Arm Rows

Shoulders (keeping in mind your injury)
Shoulder Press Machine or Smith Machine
Side Raises Supersetted with Front Raises (squeezing the whole way with no swinging)
DB Standing Shrugs, DB Seated Shrugs, BB Shrugs (I always alternate just to keep it different)

Legs (Split into two different days if wanted)
Day 1                             Day2
Squats                           Leg Presses
Standing Calf Raise           Leg Extensions   
Good Mornings                  Leg Curls
                                    Seated Calf Raises

I dont know what you want your splits to be or how many sets and reps you are looking for but imho start off with these workouts on a split that you like for at least a month on a standard 3x10 (setsxreps) to get some strength and use to it then if your still wanting to bulk up look into some volume training.  I love it, I have been utilizing a 5x5 methodfor everything and love it but you will learn to see what you like and dislike and what you need work on.  Also I cant remember who said it but I always put my weakest move first.  Let me know if your going to try this and good luck and be careful with that shoulder.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »
I'd swap the tricep pushdowns or at least alternate some workouts with dips/weighted dips.  Also, decline skull crushers have been much more effective for me than flat bench skull crushers.

For legs, I'd also throw in stiff leg dead lifts, you can't really have a leg workout without those.  Plus, if you feel like making yourself puke, superset some SLDL's with heavy leg presses on the 45 degree press machine, fun stuff =)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 10:00:34 AM »
yea those are some good suggestions dips are good if i do with tris i would do wieghted bench dips...i have also done the DB skullcrushers decline before and are very effective but for a beginner i wouldnt reccomend it really not till ones comfortable with the decline and confortable with the ROM of a skullcrusher...but the last suggestion from emm about the superset i mght try and see myself how that goes...

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »
Thanks guys, those are some good suggestions and I will implement some of them into my workout.
I want to keep my workout fairly basic so I dont get burned out. I have gotten on programs in the past only to get burned out a couple months into it. I am going to obtain my first goal of 225 and hopefully by then my workouts will become a part of my life and eaier to continue.
I have been in the gym for about the past 6 months following the timeoff from surgery. The first few months I was going off and on just trying to get my motion and strength back, but the last 2 months I have really been getting into this BB stuff. I am seeing results and feeling pretty good about myself.

BTW, GO SEAHAWKS   8)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »
hey man a bunch of people including myself gave you a bunch of advice real good advice and your like well ill implement some of it but keep my workouts basic which means you workout like my wife, half assed...dont waste peoples time with questions if your not serious...

Ace Of IronDiamonds

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
hey man a bunch of people including myself gave you a bunch of advice real good advice and your like well ill implement some of it but keep my workouts basic which means you workout like my wife, half assed...dont waste peoples time with questions if your not serious...

Yo dude, I am fairly new at this BB stuff, but if you think you are such a bad ass and gonna talk up a shit storm....your barkin at the wrong dog. I asked for some advise and you gave it(and I will use it).

Thanx