Author Topic: When you bench press, do you use a spotter?  (Read 14788 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
When you bench press, do you use a spotter?
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
how many of you regularly have a spotter when you bench press?

Who swears by spotters?

Who think they're unnecessary on chest day?

monstercalves

• Getbig IV
  • Jesse James Dean Martin Lawrence Fishburne
Re: When you bench press, do you use a spotter?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »
im a bit confused as to why i rarely see pros going to failure in their vids etc

its as if they just pump out the reps and stop early....

if ur doin bench press to COMPLEETE FAILURE ....then u need a spotter

my humble opinion... ::)

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »

Who swears by spotters?

more and more I use the Cybex plate loaded machine.  No need for a spotter while pushing your limits...train your muscles not your ego.

all too often I see "team" benching..one guy benching while another guy is doing doing rows..

I

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »
Hardly at all. Most spotter react to fast and do the work for you or they do not react at all therfore saping what energy you may have for another attempt. Your best bet is always the power rack. You can rep and max with out the need for someone else.
h

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
Ron/Chick/"Mysterious Mod": "Rob, would you post something to keep the site more positive and bb oriented?"
Rob: "On it , right away sir"
<Posts this thread>

::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:22:44 PM »
its as if they just pump out the reps and stop early....
if ur doin bench press to COMPLEETE FAILURE ....then u need a spotter

I trained alone in my garage - usually chest day is Mon night, 12 to 16 sets of benching and DB work.

My new 'thing' is getting stronger at all costs, so I started getting a spot on the 6 or 7 heavy set with more weight than I can move, and chest is definitely growing again.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
Ron/Chick/"Mysterious Mod": "Rob, would you post something to keep the site more positive and bb oriented?"
Rob: "On it , right away sir"
<Posts this thread>

::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)::) ::) ::) ::)

LOL... nah... trying to learn to get stronger.  I'm taking this weightlifitng thing seriously now.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
No shit. Its physicaly imposible to go all the way to failure without a spotter. How you use that spotter is what matters. People think a spotter helps you lift the wieght, wrong, he saves your ass when you can't complete another on your own, or for forced reps (and this is important) at the end of your set. Case and point today, 2 idiots mabye 145- 155 with all of 185 on the bench, cant do it once on there own, so what do they do, spotter rows bench combos ???

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
My PT, just makes sure i rack the bar correctly.  ;D  Im a noob, but i think a spotter is great for safely if your lifting some major weight. 
A

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 07:38:47 PM »
nope.. id on't use one. Last time I used a spotter he jerked the weight off the uprights nad just let it go wihtout a lift out or anything or ME calling him to turn it loose adn almost dropped it on my face. This is why I work in a cage. I can set it up to how I WANT IT and set the pins to stop the bar just above my body when I'm flat on the bench..because I bench with an arch..if i fail I just flatten out and let the cage catch it. THis is what it's made for.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »
No shit. Its physicaly imposible to go all the way to failure without a spotter. How you use that spotter is what matters. People think a spotter helps you lift the wieght, wrong, he saves your ass when you can't complete another on your own, or for forced reps (and this is important) at the end of your set. Case and point today, 2 idiots mabye 145- 155 with all of 185 on the bench, cant do it once on there own, so what do they do, spotter rows bench combos ???

LOL yeah i see this all the time they can maybe get a half rep with 95lbs then 10 spotter rows.  Then the next set they jack the weight up to 115lbs and same thing.  Usually these highschool kids with the bushy hairdos and underware up above their pulled down B ball shorts.

Im sorry but i hate those kids.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »

If you use a power rack you can go all the way to failer. It's really quite simple really. All one has to do is adjust it properly to suit your build. I did this many times and it worked perfectly. You do not have to rely on a spotter.
h

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
I totaly get what your saying Eric I was just on a rant about those a holes ;D

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
My point was most dont know what a spotter is even for 8)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »
cages, and racks are nice. But, most gyms only got a couple. Yet, the have shitloads of benches. Why is this???
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »
I trained alone in my garage - usually chest day is Mon night, 12 to 16 sets of benching and DB work.

My new 'thing' is getting stronger at all costs, so I started getting a spot on the 6 or 7 heavy set with more weight than I can move, and chest is definitely growing again.

Get a cage and you can do it alone without worrying about whether to go for one more.  I always hated the need to schedule that comes with having a partner.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 08:01:08 PM »
cages, and racks are nice. But, most gyms only got a couple. Yet, the have shitloads of benches. Why is this???

the reason is membership numbers. the gyms are all about how many members they can sign up. Less power racks means more need for spotter this means you have to get a training partner.
h

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
Get a cage and you can do it alone without worrying about whether to go for one more.  I always hated the need to schedule that comes with having a partner.

Any brands, types, or links to share?   I dont know anything about power racks/cages, but I do need a squat rack for home as well.

I dont want to pay $500+ for one, but if I could steal something for under 200 I'd be on it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
there's a berry's barbell in my town, and i drive a pretty big pickup, so maybe i can get one local

Big Worm

• Getbig IV
  • Really ? You finished turd my flend? Maricon..
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »

Who swears by spotters?

Only when benching 1000 for 10..The last two are a bitch.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
Dumbells, no........barbell, yes.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 08:49:13 PM »
stupidest trend in gyms...people over use spots, and it is a pain in the ass, slows everyone down.

It is totally unecessary unless on your very last set you are afraid you might not make it and you def want to go to failure then I can see askin..otherewise you should be able to get in a perfect bodybuilding workout without spotters.

I will go out of my way to avoid being asked to spot someone, it is an utter waste of time.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
stupidest trend in gyms...people over use spots, and it is a pain in the ass, slows everyone down.

It is totally unecessary unless on your very last set you are afraid you might not make it and you def want to go to failure then I can see askin..otherewise you should be able to get in a perfect bodybuilding workout without spotters.

I will go out of my way to avoid being asked to spot someone, it is an utter waste of time.
I'd figure you for the type that would love to spread your legs over another mans face.........
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
Any brands, types, or links to share?   I dont know anything about power racks/cages, but I do need a squat rack for home as well.

I dont want to pay $500+ for one, but if I could steal something for under 200 I'd be on it.

Not really man.  :(  I just went out and bought one locally.  Some come with a cable & plate stack if you want a simple cable setup.  I went with the cage instead of simple rack in case I REALLY lose it squatting.  Haven't yet.  :)

Just remember that you'll need enough room to accomodate both the cage AND your current bench since you'll have to put the bench somewhere while squatting, etc.  My setup fits ok into a second bedroom, but I wouldn't want it much tighter in there.