Author Topic: Media Prefers Obama's Rhetoric To His Command Of Issues  (Read 10156 times)

The Coach

Media Prefers Obama's Rhetoric To His Command Of Issues
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »
Barack Obama displayed his bizarre views on foreign and domestic policy during Tuesday night’s Democrat presidential debate but nobody in the media seemed to notice. This is a candidate who is pitifully ignorant on some of the major issues facing our nation.

This is a strange presidential campaign, and the coverage is even stranger. Under media pressure, John McCain has apologized because radio talk-show host Bill Cunningham opened a McCain rally by noting that Barack Obama’s full name is Barack Hussein Obama. The media were upset not only because he went after Obama, but because Cunningham’s hilarious remarks on liberal media bias were so on target.

But speaking of names, will anyone in the major media talk about the mysterious “Frank.” He’s Obama’s childhood mentor in his book, Dreams From My Father.We discovered he’s Frank Marshall Davis, a Communist Party member and anti-American revolutionary. Isn’t this as newsworthy as the African garb Obama wore on a foreign trip? Isn’t what’s in Obama’s head as important as the clothes he wears?

The American people have been terribly served by the media during this campaign, and the latest bad performance was turned in by those commenting on Tuesday night’s debate on MSNBC. They failed to note that Obama made two serious gaffes. First, Obama showed ignorance of what led to the crisis in Kosovo, where a U.S.-Russian confrontation is now playing out, and he seemed to advocate some kind of U.S. military response through NATO. If a President Obama carried through on such a threat, it would be a foreign policy mistake of monumental proportions. It could lead to a war with Russia in the current circumstances.

Second, Obama didn’t seem to understand that in the case of the disabled woman, Terri Schiavo, the issue was giving her the same kind of due process rights that are guaranteed to death row killers. We now know where Obama really stands, and it is not a pretty picture.

NBC’s Tim Russert has done a fairly good job during the debates and he had some good questions of the candidates on Tuesday night. One was when he asked Obama what he would do if Russia helped Serbia militarily take control of Kosovo, which is under United Nations and NATO occupation and recently declared its independence.

Obama had a long answer: “Well, I think that we work with the international community that has also recognized Kosovo, and state that that’s unacceptable. But, fortunately, we have a strong international structure anchored in NATO to deal with this issue. We don’t have to work in isolation. And this is an area where I think that the Clinton administration deserves a lot of credit, is, you know, the way in which they put together a coalition that has functioned. It has not been perfect, but it saved lives. And we created a situation in which not only Kosovo, but other parts of the former Yugoslavia at least have the potential to over time build democracies and enter into the broader European community. But, you know, be very clear: We have recognized the country of Kosovo as an independent, sovereign nation, as has Great Britain and many other countries in the region. And I think that that carries with it, then, certain obligations to ensure that they are not invaded.”

What does he mean by that? How does he propose that the U.S. and NATO stop an invasion of Kosovo by Serbia? The fact is that, despite its declaration of independence, Kosovo is still recognized by many nations as a province of Serbia. The “nation” of Kosovo is not recognized as such by the UN, and Russia and China have vowed to oppose its membership in the world body. What’s more, as former U.S. Ambassador to the UN John Bolton points out, United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 reaffirmed Serbian sovereignty in Kosovo. This was agreed to by the U.S. So a pledge by the U.S. to protect Kosovo from an “invasion” would be viewed as further meddling in a civil war.

His comments about the Clinton Administration and Kosovo are apparently a reference to Clinton’s NATO war against Serbia over who was going to control the province. The war was illegal and unconstitutional. Clinton launched it without Congressional approval and continued it when Congress failed to authorize it after the fact. Yet Obama was defending Clinton’s actions there. His statements about this foreign policy problem were reckless and ignorant. 

The problem for the Republicans is that Senator John McCain voted for the war against Serbia and has now, like Hillary and Obama, expressed support for Kosovo’s declaration of independence.

On the Schiavo case, Obama said the following: “Well, you know, when I first arrived in the Senate that first year, we had a situation surrounding Terri Schiavo. And I remember how we adjourned with a unanimous agreement that eventually allowed Congress to interject itself into that decision-making process of the families. It wasn’t something I was comfortable with, but it was not something that I stood on the floor and stopped. And I think that was a mistake, and I think the American people understood that that was a mistake. And as a constitutional law professor, I knew better. And so that’s an example I think of where inaction...”

Russert explained, “This is the young woman with the feeding tube... and the family disagreed as to whether it should be removed or not.”

Obama replied, “And I think that’s an example of inaction, and sometimes that can be as costly as action.”

Once again, Obama demonstrated his ignorance of the true facts. Congress decided to “interject itself” into the situation because the family was divided over caring for the brain-damaged woman and there had been no federal review of the facts in the case. All that Congress did was authorize a federal judge to examine the situation. This is guaranteed to all federal inmates on death row so they are not executed without complete respect for their due process rights. Isn’t a disabled woman entitled to similar rights? Many forget that Schiavo’s parents and siblings only wanted the right to keep her alive and take care of her. It was her estranged husband who wanted her dead. What harm would have been caused by letting her live? 

Obama’s statement that he wanted Congress to stay out of this matter and that he personally should have “stopped” congressional action reflects a callous disregard for the rights of disabled people. And yet he claimed to be speaking during the debate as someone with the experience of “a constitutional law professor.” In fact, Congress should have done more; Schiavo was eventually starved to death by her estranged husband after a federal judge refused to save her life. If the constitution doesn’t protect the rights of the most innocent and defenseless among us, what good is it? What constitution did Obama study in law school? Where did he get his ideas about human worth and dignity?

During a previous debate, on this very subject, McCain sounded like Obama, saying that “In retrospect, we should have taken some more time, looked at it more carefully, and probably we acted too hastily.” In effect, McCain was repudiating the effort to save Terri’s life.

So once again we have a major issue facing the country and yet there is really no difference between Obama and McCain.

It looks, therefore, like it’s going to be a very boring campaign. We all need that pillow Hillary says the media are giving Obama. We need to see more, not less, of people like Bill Cunningham, even though McCain has now fed him to the sharks. At least Cunningham had the guts to utter Obama’s full name.   

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/challenges.php?id=1386767><p><strong>Media

Epic_Monster

• Getbig V
  • "Let me pose on this one" - REV. X
Re: Media Prefers Obama's Rhetoric To His Command Of Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:39:59 AM »
No one is going to read this novel! Hope this helps!! ;)
Spirit of Truth

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 09:02:51 AM »
Bush announced today what many of us believed all along... he's pulling most combat troops by october 2008 to nullify the issue for elections.

As much as you might hate obama, everyone is going to vote based upon their pocketbook this time.

bush led us to this recession.

Mccain promised to keep the bush economy plan in place.

enough said.  Repubs will not win.  They tied their cart to a losing horse.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »
i love how you never hear about Obama's affiliation with a black muslim "church" and the fact that Louis Farrakhan supports him. ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »
Dems could run Craig Titus on the ticket and win.

Everyone is going to be so broke by Nov that it's not funny.

McCain's pledge to keep the bush tax cuts in place for the wealthy and oil companies will sink him.

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »
Bush announced today what many of us believed all along... he's pulling most combat troops by october 2008 to nullify the issue for elections.

As much as you might hate obama, everyone is going to vote based upon their pocketbook this time.

bush led us to this recession.

Mccain promised to keep the bush economy plan in place.

enough said.  Repubs will not win.  They tied their cart to a losing horse.

Well, we'll see if the Repubs win or not.....if they don't it shows the sheer ignorance of the American people and the bias on how the liberal media can persuade nothing into something just based on charisma and the ability to give a speech with no substance or content. In other words, people can be baffled with bullshit, Clinton proved that in 92' then again in his second term and Obama just might pull it off as well.

The Coach

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:11:49 AM »
Dems could run Craig Titus on the ticket and win.

Everyone is going to be so broke by Nov that it's not funny.

McCain's pledge to keep the bush tax cuts in place for the wealthy and oil companies will sink him.

I disagree, I think people would rather see us protected. Clinton or Obama cannot and will not do that.

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »
By the way.......Lori and I are OFFICIALLY campaingning for McCain. We will spend alot of our time today making calls on his behalf.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »
240 is spot on

CLinton= great economy and plenty of jobs

Bush= recession and rampant joblessness

our country will experience another depression if another Mccain plans to follow in the current economy plan

another republican will ruin this country :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »
Well, we'll see if the Repubs win or not.....if they don't it shows the sheer ignorance of the American people and the bias on how the liberal media can persuade nothing into something just based on charisma and the ability to give a speech with no substance or content. In other words, people can be baffled with bullshit, Clinton proved that in 92' then again in his second term and Obama just might pull it off as well.

Joe,

Bush entered the white house and the deficit was 4.5 tril.
It is 9 tril today.
Bush borrowed more than every other president in 100 years, combined.
And he did it while cutting taxes on the rich.
it was incredibly naive, and it's biting us now and will continue to get worse.  

Remember that 1 month ago, half the repub nominees (mccain included) told us the economy was fine.  he's either lying or dangerously uninformed.  Every analyst in america has been saying we're headed for trouble.  Mccain thinks everything is great.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
I disagree, I think people would rather see us protected. Clinton or Obama cannot and will not do that.

Ignorance, joe.  I love ya but you're being ignorant of facts here.

Obama said troops will be in iraq forever, based upon what the generals demand.
Obama said to bomb pakistan, africa, afghanistan, and finally get osama.

Obama is more determined to catch bin laden than mccain is.  Obama will keep course in iraq.  bush himself announced major troop removal in oct 2008.

Your ONLY point now - since the economy is fuct and mccain will keep it the same - is that Obama is soft on foreign policy.  Funny... obama and bush are on the same side with bombing pakistan... mccain said we shouldn't.  is mccain soft on islamist terror in pakistan and pashtun region?  sure looks like it!

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 09:20:02 AM »
240 is spot on

CLinton= great economy and plenty of jobs

Bush= recession and rampant joblessness

our country will experience another depression if another Mccain plans to follow in the current economy plan

another republican will ruin this country :-\

Bullshit.....toward the last 1 1/2-2 years of Clintons term, we started going into a deep recession that Bush inherited and subsequently had the biggest turnaround in 20 + years. Clinton got lucky with his economy in the beginning because of the dot com boom, also don't forget Clinton had a Republican congress.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »
By the way.......Lori and I are OFFICIALLY campaingning for McCain. We will spend alot of our time today making calls on his behalf.
that's weird, your heros Rush and Hannity don't like him.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:39 AM »
WHAT!!!!!!!!

"Im real safe but have no $$ for retirement and Im losing my house", do you really think that people are going to say this faced with imminent poverty

you need to take your head out of the sand Joe and see whats going on around you------------

talk about rhetoric, "being safe and combating terror" some of the most overused rhetoric in politics today

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »
In other words, people can be baffled with bullshit, Clinton proved that in 92'

ytou voted for clinton in 1992, joe.

you were baffled with his bullshit then.  you are being baffled by mccain's bullshit and fearmongering today as well.  This is coming form a lifelong republican, joe, as you know I have voted repub in every election until now.  

mccain is bush #3.   if you like the economy now, and the direction it's heading, by all means, go campaign for him.

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
oh wow, a pro-conservative website

this might as well come from fox news

Barack Obama displayed his bizarre views on foreign and domestic policy during Tuesday night’s Democrat presidential debate but nobody in the media seemed to notice. This is a candidate who is pitifully ignorant on some of the major issues facing our nation.

This is a strange presidential campaign, and the coverage is even stranger. Under media pressure, John McCain has apologized because radio talk-show host Bill Cunningham opened a McCain rally by noting that Barack Obama’s full name is Barack Hussein Obama. The media were upset not only because he went after Obama, but because Cunningham’s hilarious remarks on liberal media bias were so on target.

But speaking of names, will anyone in the major media talk about the mysterious “Frank.” He’s Obama’s childhood mentor in his book, Dreams From My Father.We discovered he’s Frank Marshall Davis, a Communist Party member and anti-American revolutionary. Isn’t this as newsworthy as the African garb Obama wore on a foreign trip? Isn’t what’s in Obama’s head as important as the clothes he wears?

The American people have been terribly served by the media during this campaign, and the latest bad performance was turned in by those commenting on Tuesday night’s debate on MSNBC. They failed to note that Obama made two serious gaffes. First, Obama showed ignorance of what led to the crisis in Kosovo, where a U.S.-Russian confrontation is now playing out, and he seemed to advocate some kind of U.S. military response through NATO. If a President Obama carried through on such a threat, it would be a foreign policy mistake of monumental proportions. It could lead to a war with Russia in the current circumstances.

Second, Obama didn’t seem to understand that in the case of the disabled woman, Terri Schiavo, the issue was giving her the same kind of due process rights that are guaranteed to death row killers. We now know where Obama really stands, and it is not a pretty picture.

NBC’s Tim Russert has done a fairly good job during the debates and he had some good questions of the candidates on Tuesday night. One was when he asked Obama what he would do if Russia helped Serbia militarily take control of Kosovo, which is under United Nations and NATO occupation and recently declared its independence.

Obama had a long answer: “Well, I think that we work with the international community that has also recognized Kosovo, and state that that’s unacceptable. But, fortunately, we have a strong international structure anchored in NATO to deal with this issue. We don’t have to work in isolation. And this is an area where I think that the Clinton administration deserves a lot of credit, is, you know, the way in which they put together a coalition that has functioned. It has not been perfect, but it saved lives. And we created a situation in which not only Kosovo, but other parts of the former Yugoslavia at least have the potential to over time build democracies and enter into the broader European community. But, you know, be very clear: We have recognized the country of Kosovo as an independent, sovereign nation, as has Great Britain and many other countries in the region. And I think that that carries with it, then, certain obligations to ensure that they are not invaded.”

What does he mean by that? How does he propose that the U.S. and NATO stop an invasion of Kosovo by Serbia? The fact is that, despite its declaration of independence, Kosovo is still recognized by many nations as a province of Serbia. The “nation” of Kosovo is not recognized as such by the UN, and Russia and China have vowed to oppose its membership in the world body. What’s more, as former U.S. Ambassador to the UN John Bolton points out, United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 reaffirmed Serbian sovereignty in Kosovo. This was agreed to by the U.S. So a pledge by the U.S. to protect Kosovo from an “invasion” would be viewed as further meddling in a civil war.

His comments about the Clinton Administration and Kosovo are apparently a reference to Clinton’s NATO war against Serbia over who was going to control the province. The war was illegal and unconstitutional. Clinton launched it without Congressional approval and continued it when Congress failed to authorize it after the fact. Yet Obama was defending Clinton’s actions there. His statements about this foreign policy problem were reckless and ignorant. 

The problem for the Republicans is that Senator John McCain voted for the war against Serbia and has now, like Hillary and Obama, expressed support for Kosovo’s declaration of independence.

On the Schiavo case, Obama said the following: “Well, you know, when I first arrived in the Senate that first year, we had a situation surrounding Terri Schiavo. And I remember how we adjourned with a unanimous agreement that eventually allowed Congress to interject itself into that decision-making process of the families. It wasn’t something I was comfortable with, but it was not something that I stood on the floor and stopped. And I think that was a mistake, and I think the American people understood that that was a mistake. And as a constitutional law professor, I knew better. And so that’s an example I think of where inaction...”

Russert explained, “This is the young woman with the feeding tube... and the family disagreed as to whether it should be removed or not.”

Obama replied, “And I think that’s an example of inaction, and sometimes that can be as costly as action.”

Once again, Obama demonstrated his ignorance of the true facts. Congress decided to “interject itself” into the situation because the family was divided over caring for the brain-damaged woman and there had been no federal review of the facts in the case. All that Congress did was authorize a federal judge to examine the situation. This is guaranteed to all federal inmates on death row so they are not executed without complete respect for their due process rights. Isn’t a disabled woman entitled to similar rights? Many forget that Schiavo’s parents and siblings only wanted the right to keep her alive and take care of her. It was her estranged husband who wanted her dead. What harm would have been caused by letting her live? 

Obama’s statement that he wanted Congress to stay out of this matter and that he personally should have “stopped” congressional action reflects a callous disregard for the rights of disabled people. And yet he claimed to be speaking during the debate as someone with the experience of “a constitutional law professor.” In fact, Congress should have done more; Schiavo was eventually starved to death by her estranged husband after a federal judge refused to save her life. If the constitution doesn’t protect the rights of the most innocent and defenseless among us, what good is it? What constitution did Obama study in law school? Where did he get his ideas about human worth and dignity?

During a previous debate, on this very subject, McCain sounded like Obama, saying that “In retrospect, we should have taken some more time, looked at it more carefully, and probably we acted too hastily.” In effect, McCain was repudiating the effort to save Terri’s life.

So once again we have a major issue facing the country and yet there is really no difference between Obama and McCain.

It looks, therefore, like it’s going to be a very boring campaign. We all need that pillow Hillary says the media are giving Obama. We need to see more, not less, of people like Bill Cunningham, even though McCain has now fed him to the sharks. At least Cunningham had the guts to utter Obama’s full name.   

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/challenges.php?id=1386767><p><strong>Media

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »
i love how you never hear about Obama's affiliation with a black muslim "church" and the fact that Louis Farrakhan supports him. ::)
I guess you missed the obama-hilary debate in cleveland.
follow the arrows

Melvin Goodrum

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 10:53:13 AM »

McCain is no angel and his apology to Obama shows weakness. 

I could care less about these two.  This year I'm voting for Scott Alexander... :D

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

You have to listen to what Farrakahan believes in, not the inflammatory bits and pieces that are taken out of context.

Are all muslims terrorists that hate us for our freedom?

What politician is not affiliated with a religious group?

Sandra

Canuck

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 11:02:30 AM »

That's because it has been debunked as an internet rumor.  Check out all the top newslines MSNBC, CNN and even Reuters.
and you can't hold somebody to task because somebody else likes them.
It is like lumping Ron in the Titus case because Craiggers and him are friends.

My question is if the 9/11 attacks took years to plan how come nobody has mentioned that is was Clinton's foriegn policy that created this or how Clinton's "experience" never saw any of the signs either?

Did the lack of action on the administrations part after the attack on the U.S.S. Cole embolden Bin Laden to try more daring attacks?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »

Z

The Coach

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 11:13:17 AM »
You have to listen to what Farrakahan believes in, not the inflammatory bits and pieces that are taken out of context.

Are all muslims terrorists that hate us for our freedom?

What politician is not affiliated with a religious group?

Sandra

What is taken out of context? Are you saying he's NOT a racist and anti-semite?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
What is taken out of context? Are you saying he's NOT a racist and anti-semite?
you're anti-muslim, same difference "joe local"
follow the arrows

The Coach

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
oh wow, a pro-conservative website

this might as well come from fox news

So the mainstream liberal media is any better? There are million issues and skeletons that Obama has that the liberal media refuses to bring up, then when you finally get the other side, all you can say is "oh wow, a pro-conservative website" like it's a bad thing!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »
mccain is a good man, a war hero, and he'd make a good president.

unfortunately, in order to win the nomination he had to promise to keep the bush tax cuts for the wealthy and for big business.  

these tax cuts are causing a recession, plain and simple. we're borrowing from china when we should be taxing.  we SHOULD have been taxing during the nice war rich streak, but Bush didn't.  Now we're in shit.

Obama is the better choice because he will tax the wealthy and he will help the economy recover.  joe, I know you'll pay higher taxes with Obama, and I don't blame you for not wanting him to win as a result.  In the LONGER RUN, however, fixing the 9 trillion dollar debt and keeping dollar strong is very much worth us getting our taxes raised for 2 years.  Your home and portfolio will be worth squat if this recession leads to a depression.