Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - Real measurements and lifts  (Read 153595 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER'S REAL MEASUREMENTS AND LIFTS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2008, 08:11:14 AM »
HAHAHA

You are a moron and a fat disgrace...
translation=you have no proof that Arnold benched 540 or had 22 inch arms. :D

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:14 AM »
One thing Mate - Your muscle volume thing is way out according to my mate's calculations:  d (diameter) = circumference divided by Pi (3.1415927), r (radius) = d divided by 2,  & volume of a cylinder (muscle) = Pi x (r x r) x length, so the diff between say 20 & 21 ins is about 10%

...dude, you don't compare the circumference of the arm, you measure the volume.

All other things being equal (arm length etc) everything cancels out leaving you with a basic comparison of areas. The ratio of two AREAS is the ratio of the SQUARES of the circumference measurements.

So to compare a 21'' and 20'' upper arm you don't calculate 21/20... you calculate 212/202

The Luke

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
...dude, you don't compare the circumference of the arm, you measure the volume.

All other things being equal (arm length etc) everything cancels out leaving you with a basic comparison of areas. The ratio of two AREAS is the ratio of the SQUARES of the circumference measurements.

So to compare a 21'' and 20'' upper arm you don't calculate 21/20... you calculate 212/202

The Luke
Read again, it was Volume

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »
Bizarre asumption. If Arnold's squatting was so much better, why did they  edit out the end of his set, leaving Corney's set as one of the most memorable of the movie.

In his set, I believe he got up to 5 or 6 with 315 on the bar and he stuggled on the last rep.  His form wasn't the greatest either, as he didn't even go down to parallel, although granted, his feet were fairly close together, and they have prevented him from going lower saftely.

Still, squatting seems to be one of things you're either built to do or not.  You have guys like shawn ray who in his 'final countdown' video only doing 315 tops for reps, and his legs are bigger than Corney's or Arnolds, and you have guys like Platz, who squat 500lb, all the way down for 20 reps.
And it's not a big deal for a college running back to squat 400 - 600lbs., and those guys may be 5'8 - 5'11, 180 - 220lb.

I'd be interested in what Arnolds leg press numbers were like, and I mean the 45 degree press, not the verticle presses that we've seen him doing in pictures.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »
Pollux: you are the best historian here when it comes to A. What do you think of his actual poundages?

Here's the thing...the '67 issue of Health and Strength has his best bench noted as being 408 lbs. The '67 issue of Ironman has his best bench noted as being 410 lbs. His best bench at the '67 German Powerlifting Championships was 374 lbs. and 440 lbs. at the same event in '68.

From a personal point of view, these numbers seem to be more accurate to me than Arnold's self-proclaimed 500 lbs.+ bench in his Encyclopedia book, simply because in all the years I have seen pictures of Arnold, a 500 lbs.+ bench press in something I have never, ever seen.

I'm not knocking Arnold in no way! But until I see otherwise, I'll stand by my view.

Trev

• Getbig IV
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2008, 09:15:12 AM »

The Luke
To make it easier for you:-
all things being equal, you can just compare the areas - but the area of a 20 in circle is 31.82 square ins & the area of a 21 in circle is 35.1 square ins (area of circle = Pi x R2) - simple maths will show that the latter is 10% larger than the former. 20 squared is 400, & 21 squared is 441, which again shows that one is 10% bigger than the other, not 40%.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
Read again, it was Volume

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 pi r3

Volume of a cylinder = pi r2 L      ...where L is the length of the upper arm

For our purposes we should use the cylinder formula and assume a similar shape for the tapering of the upper arm at the elbow... so for our two hypothetical arms with circumferences c1 and c2

c1 = 2 pi r1 ...therefore r1 = (c1)/2pi

So the volume of the first upper arm can be expressed as: pi (c1/2pi)2 L

So the ratio of the volumes of our two hypothetical upper arms:

Volume of upper arm 1 = pi (c1/2pi)2 L
Volume of upper arm 2   pi (c2/2pi)2 L

so using the GetBig Strikethrough Canceling principle:
Volume of upper arm 1 = pi (c1/2pi)2 L
Volume of upper arm 2   pi (c2/2pi)2 L

= c12/c22

=ratio of the SQUARES of the circumference measurements

The Luke

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »
you've got to be kidding
!

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
I see that overnight everyone jumped all over my post re Markus Ruhl...

I think what's missing here is a basic understanding of ratios.

A 22'' arm is not 10% bigger than a 20'' arm, it's 21% bigger.

...double checked your figures Trev, you're right.

But as you can clearly see from my original post I was comparing a 22'' and 20'' arm... not 21 and 20

Similarly my reference to a 44% increase was between a 50'' chest and a 60'' chest, you have asserted that my calculations are wrong when in fact you've been plugging different values into my formulas.

FAIL! (just kidding)

The Luke

Trev

• Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
...double checked your figures Trev, you're right.

But as you can clearly see from my original post I was comparing a 22'' and 20'' arm... not 21 and 20

Similarly my reference to a 44% increase was between a 50'' chest and a 60'' chest, you have asserted that my calculations are wrong when in fact you've been plugging different values into my formulas.

FAIL! (just kidding)

The Luke
Ha ha - Ok mate ....

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »
and 440 lbs. at the same event in '68.

That's what I was thinking. about 450 for a guy his size.

405 seems low and 500+ is too high.

PS  no one here really knows the fucking truth anyway, we are all pissing in the wind about something somebody may or may not have done 30 years ago.

PPS  Arnold's arms are bigger than 19 inches..I don't give a fuck what anyone says. My arms are 19 inches and HIS are bigger than MINE

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »
for all of you nuthuggers who believe the Great Arnold walked on water here's the truth

Height-6'1"
Weight 235-240 pounds
Arms-right at 20 inches pumped
Chest-52 inches
Waist-34-35 inches
Legs-26 inches

Bench Press-405 pound single, 315 for a good set of 8-10
Squat-405 for a couple of reps

why are you so fcuking obsess over what Arnold could lift or not. now that you found out his measurements, go ahead,  have a beer and get a bang out of life, fatboy

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »
for all of you nuthuggers who believe the Great Arnold walked on water here's the truth

Height-6'1"
Weight 235-240 pounds
Arms-right at 20 inches pumped
Chest-52 inches
Waist-34-35 inches
Legs-26 inches

Bench Press-405 pound single, 315 for a good set of 8-10
Squat-405 for a couple of reps

Schwarzenegger.com states that Arnold's top measurements (per his book Arnold:  Education of a Bodybuilder were:

Arnold's Top Form Measurements

Arms: 22 inches
Chest: 57 inches
Waist: 34 inches
Thighs: 28.5 inches
Calves: 20 inches
Weight: 235 pounds
Height: 6 feet 2 inches

See http://www.schwarzenegger.com/en/help/index.asp

Where'd you get your figures? 

As for his chest, I'd think that he'd have a much bigger chest than Steve Reeve's 52", since Arnold had a much bigger back and thicker pecs than Reeves.  It'd be easy for Arnold to reach 5" bigger than Reeves.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »
I just read on here somewhere that Franco's chest was 50"  If that is true then any moron with half a brain would know Arnold's chest was larger than Francos by more than just 2".  And if you don't think Franco had a 50" chest measurement then you are even more moronic.  I personally have seen Franco up close and if you saw in person (not reading a book or see on youtube which most of you do) then you could easily see by his lat size alone how he got a measurement like that.  Arnold benching over 500 I would believe would be a hard thing to do except maybe when he was powerlifting.  At his BB size and weight which was around 235 I find that hard to believe but possible.  And people who think that unless there is a pic or video of someone doing something that can be possible is bullshit is just dumb.  I have benched 585 and I have no pics or video.  But, I know along with many others who have seen me bench can attest to what I say.  Some of you come on here and talk about chicks you have fucked or whatever.  Do you have pics or video to prove it.  Not everyone has pics or videos of every single things they have done.  As for Arnolds measurements, the guys on here who have been with him or trained with him are way more credible than guys who come on here and talk shit because they saw it in a magazine or saw Arnold when he walked by.  How in the fuck can someone talk about someone else without even ever meeting with them or know them.  Just that cracks me up.  I don't even like Arnold that much other than how he looked but jeez get your shit straight.

I every bit just under 6'1".  I am in sandals in this pic I think but not sure.  And I see Arnold clearly a little taller than me.  The guy on here who said he is 5'10" and Arnold was shorter than he was or the same height is full of shit. 

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
Schwarzenegger.com states that Arnold's top measurements (per his book Arnold:  Education of a Bodybuilder were:

Arnold's Top Form Measurements

Arms: 22 inches
Chest: 57 inches
Waist: 34 inches
Thighs: 28.5 inches
Calves: 20 inches
Weight: 235 pounds
Height: 6 feet 2 inches

See http://www.schwarzenegger.com/en/help/index.asp

Where'd you get your figures? 

As for his chest, I'd think that he'd have a much bigger chest than Steve Reeve's 52", since Arnold had a much bigger back and thicker pecs than Reeves.  It'd be easy for Arnold to reach 5" bigger than Reeves.

all bullshit.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
In his set, I believe he got up to 5 or 6 with 315 on the bar and he stuggled on the last rep.  His form wasn't the greatest either, as he didn't even go down to parallel, although granted, his feet were fairly close together, and they have prevented him from going lower saftely.

Still, squatting seems to be one of things you're either built to do or not.  You have guys like shawn ray who in his 'final countdown' video only doing 315 tops for reps, and his legs are bigger than Corney's or Arnolds, and you have guys like Platz, who squat 500lb, all the way down for 20 reps.
And it's not a big deal for a college running back to squat 400 - 600lbs., and those guys may be 5'8 - 5'11, 180 - 220lb.

I'd be interested in what Arnolds leg press numbers were like, and I mean the 45 degree press, not the verticle presses that we've seen him doing in pictures.

Sean Rey could knock out 405 for reps all day long on squats, I have seen it in person, so to say he is a 315 guy is flat out bullshit.

Arnold, in getting ready for the 1980 O, was hitting 400# vertical leg presses for high reps and 135 stiff legged deadlifts for hams (for high reps) at World Gym Santa Monica-they had no 45 degree angled leg press then.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
The lack of an arm taping photograph is very telling... the only people who do this are the pros with the very biggest arms:
-Lee Priest 21.5''
-Eddie Robinson 20.75''ish
-Vince Taylor (at 240 lbs) 19.5''
...Tim Fogarty will attest to this.

Most pros, in contest shape would be in the 17''-19'' category. FLEX magazine is bullshit, NOT gospel.

The Luke

There is NO pro that has a 17 inch arm in contest shape-sorry buddy.

The SMALLEST pro arm I have ever seen is Chris Dickerson's 1981 Mr. O when he had 17.5 inch arms. But Chris was competeing at only 185# then.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
youre a kid,,my arms are the size of your head to begin with with no pump and 17 inch arms will hold maybe one quarter of an inch after arm training,,
again yorue a kid

GH15 you are a fucking MORON.

Whn I first started training my arms would pump up 1.5 inches easily-and they still pump up 1.25 to 1.5 inches today.

The notion that a pump can only give you a 1/4 inch on your arms is so fucking far off base that it proves you're the fraud of frauds.

Do us all a favor and put a cork in your snake oil bullshit.

CigaretteMan

• Getbig III
  • Yum, yum, give me some!
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
  "Squadfather" seems to find solace in believing that pros are only 3 or 4 times stronger than he is, instead of the 5 or 6 times which is closer to reality. Pathetic. The bottom line is that Arnold truly did have 22" arms in the off-season and could bench 520 lbs for a single.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »
  "Squadfather" seems to find solace in believing that pros are only 3 or 4 times stronger than he is, instead of the 5 or 6 times which is closer to reality. Pathetic. The bottom line is that Arnold truly did have 22" arms in the off-season and could bench 520 lbs for a single.
got any proof? i'm calling bullshit until i....................see proof. :D

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2008, 01:39:27 PM »
The best part about this WHOLE thread is watching everyone get upset over what u wrote  ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2008, 01:40:33 PM »
The best part about this WHOLE thread is watching everyone get upset over what u wrote  ::)
;D 5 pages of hurt feelings and meltdowns.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2008, 01:52:13 PM »
got any proof? i'm calling bullshit until i....................see proof. :D

The irony of you asking for ' proof ' you have none to offer except your ' expert ' opinion and then dismiss eyewitness accounts as ' bullshit ' I love how you just pulled these figures out of your head thats classic and according to you , your arms are only 1-1.5 inches smaller than Arnold so they must appear just as big seeing you're shorter lol hey at least you're always good for a laugh.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »

Hook Line and Muthafuggin Sinker  ;D I love it when a plan comes together!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »

It's actually quite humorous considering that everyone is melting down over Arnold and what he looks like and he doesn't give a crap about any of them.