Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - Real measurements and lifts  (Read 153685 times)

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
Re: ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER'S REAL MEASUREMENTS AND LIFTS!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2008, 04:18:45 AM »
I read Arnolds encycolpedia and theres a piture of him benching 4 plates,REPs?maybe 1 or 2 he explained it was very hard for him to Bench heavy due to his long arms and he also stated that Franco was much stronger than him.
His arms were probaly fully pumped a fraction over 20, you must remember the shape of his biceps are extremly blessed giving that optical illusion of them being much bigger.
As far as the chest measurement it was the biggest for his generation and can stand toe to toe with the best pros of today.
I understand Squads frustration with Arnold nut huggers claiming rediculous measurements.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2008, 05:05:17 AM »
I just wish Arnold would come clean on his 'real' height....I heard versions from 6 ft. through to 6 ft. 2.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2008, 05:57:45 AM »
ATTENTION SQUADFATHER

Got this from ironhistory:

I heard from Jusup that Arnold went from a shadow of his former self to his Olympia condition in e i g h t weeks - Arnold is a true freak. A friend of mine has film material of that training-where Franco is joining the duo of Arnold and Jusup.
One could still see that despite Arnold not being in his legendary shape he has fantastic genetics. They pumped ca. 5 sets of around 15 reps with 330-350 in the bench press on that film, in a quick pace and no limit efforts.

-   W. Hasenmaier 

KillerMonk

• Getbig IV
  • Future President Of USA
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2008, 06:01:05 AM »
ATTENTION SQUADFATHER

Got this from ironhistory:

I heard from Jusup that Arnold went from a shadow of his former self to his Olympia condition in e i g h t weeks - Arnold is a true freak. A friend of mine has film material of that training-where Franco is joining the duo of Arnold and Jusup.
One could still see that despite Arnold not being in his legendary shape he has fantastic genetics. They pumped ca. 5 sets of around 15 reps with 330-350 in the bench press on that film, in a quick pace and no limit efforts.

-   W. Hasenmaier 
Offer Proof of Life.
Arnold For President 2012.2016

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2008, 06:04:06 AM »
ATTENTION SQUADFATHER
 They pumped ca. 5 sets of around 15 reps with 330-350 in the bench press on that film, in a quick pace and no limit efforts.

-   W. Hasenmaier 

No youtube = no believe

The Arnold nutworship here is epic. Somehow the fact that he could "only" bench 400 or so and never had thigh size to compare with the rest is too hard to swallow, the fantasy ruined. :-[ :'(

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2008, 06:08:45 AM »
Questioning lifting claims is 100% legitimate.

However, purposefully arguing for down-tuned abilities is not.

I know several 4 plate benchers and people who can rep 3 plates for 8-10. And they're natural, and they're NOWHERE Arnold's size - not in the target muscles, not in bodyweight. I can put up 3 for 4 maybe 5 reps...and I'd look like a fucking clown next to Arnold. And you're telling me he could only beat me by 4-5 reps? lol

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2008, 06:12:24 AM »
I don't remember the source but there was an article (maybe from Dave Draper's site?) - a workout article -  where Arnold trained chest and did (I assume) "bent-arm" flyes (but still) with 100 lbs.

Arnold could deadlift 700+ at a young age. That tells you about his strength potential. But somehow he'd struggle putting up 315 for 11? LOL.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »
Questioning lifting claims is 100% legitimate.

However, purposefully arguing for down-tuned abilities is not.

I know several 4 plate benchers and people who can rep 3 plates for 8-10. And they're natural, and they're NOWHERE Arnold's size - not in the target muscles, not in bodyweight. I can put up 3 for 4 maybe 5 reps...and I'd look like a fucking clown next to Arnold. And you're telling me he could only beat me by 4-5 reps? lol

Very common for novices to assume that muscle size = strength. That's true only to some extent, it doesn't follow an exact 1-to-1 relationship when it comes to BB.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2008, 06:18:41 AM »
Does this look like a guy who'd struggle with 315?

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2008, 06:20:12 AM »
Very common for novices to assume that muscle size = strength. That's true only to some extent, it doesn't follow an exact 1-to-1 relationship when it comes to BB.

Everyone knows this - except total novices. But that's not the point. That much muscle is still going to have the ability to move a lot of weight. and that, my friend, is a very uncontroversial statement.
Arguing that "well size doesn't nec. equal strength" is bull when you're talking 315 lbs. That much muscle mass is absolutely gonna have a lot of horse power.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »
Does this look like a guy who'd struggle with 315?

Exactly my point; you're making an assumption based on appearance.

Based on szie/appearance, novices would assume that this guy would be weaker than Schwarz.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2008, 06:22:40 AM »
Everyone knows this - except total novices. But that's not the point. That much muscle is still going to have the ability to move a lot of weight. and that, my friend, is a very uncontroversial statement.
Arguing that "well size doesn't nec. equal strength" is bull when you're talking 315 lbs. That much muscle mass is absolutely gonna have a lot of horse power.

Maximum tissue size is built mainly by moving progressively more moderate/moderately heavy weight many times to pump the tissue, it doesn't require great strength and the training reflects it. Padilla was arguably the best short guy ever, more tissue than Columbu but i've never seen any great strength claims about him or about Dillet, one of the best physiques ever. Chuck Sipes would've been the biggest BB of the 60s if there was a direct strength/size correlation. Coleman's strength is the exception not the rule.

Still waiting for a viable explanation as to why Schwarzenegger the great squatter's set on the movie was edited. :D

He's 6'1", not 6 or 6'2". He's not known for extreme candor so don't expect it in his books...duh! His best measurements aren't completely false, they're pumped measurements off season.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2008, 06:34:30 AM »
Why was it edited? Because there wasn't marketing appeal in watching guys just move big weights. That might have more of a NEGATIVE effect. It was hard enough to market it as it was without losing content.

You are SERIOUSLY wrong. Enough drugs and muscle size will without a doubt generally enable the lifter to move heavier weight. Even when doing sets of 10-15 reps.

If you think Arnold would struggle with 315 for 12 then you're living in fantasyland, sorry. And I am generally quite a skeptic.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »
Why was it edited? Because there wasn't marketing appeal in watching guys just move big weights.

Bizarrre logic given the fact that they then included all of Corney's squat set, the best training sequence of the movie along with Ferrigno's. All of those sets would've been similarly edited, which they weren't.

If you think Arnold would struggle with 315 for 12 then you're living in fantasyland, sorry. And I am generally quite a skeptic.

Who said struggle with 315, he'd struggle with 400 unlike the stronger BBs like Sipes, Szkalak, Fox and Columbu. Low 400s as a max. is about right, that's the same range that's been published without change since the 1970s. That doesn't translate to bangin out 5 x 15 with 335-350.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2008, 06:56:03 AM »
I'd say he could hit low-400s no problem. at his best, I would give him upto 500.

1975, when the majority of his training pics were filmed, would likely not be his strongest, so it's not entirely fair to give estimates based on the weight he threw up in those pics and footage.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2008, 07:42:17 AM »
post some proof, post one picture of Arnold with more than 405 on his chest.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2008, 08:29:40 AM »
Is this thread STILL going on???  Yawn ....

TheTerrifyer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2008, 08:33:57 AM »
Everyone needs to stop thinking Arnold could have possibly been a contender today in his 1970's shape. Sure with today's drugs, training styles, whatever. But he was not as big, not as strong, not as lean, the list goes on. If you think he was benching 350 for five sets of 15 without struggling I've got a sandbox in Florida to sell you.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
post some proof, post one picture of Arnold with more than 405 on his chest.

Lack of pictures does not equate zero ability. You know this.

But hey it's nice to know I'll be as strong as Arnold Schwarzenegger in a few years  :D ::)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »
Does it really matter how much Arnold could bench?  He was a bodybuilder (and a very successful one at that), not a powerlifter.  The fact is, Arnold won 7 Olympias and took no lower than 11th in the other shows he competed in.  That makes him the "numero uno" bodybuilder of the 70s and one that is debatably better than most of the Mr. Olympias who've since followed him

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
Does it really matter how much Arnold could bench?  He was a bodybuilder (and a very successful one at that), not a powerlifter.  The fact is, Arnold won 7 Olympias and took no lower than 11th in the other shows he competed in.  That makes him the "numero uno" bodybuilder of the 70s and one that is debatably better than most of the Mr. Olympias who've since followed him

no it doesn't but my point was to blow to shit the stupid claim that he could bench 540 and i did just that.

Miss Demeanor

• Getbig III
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »
for all of you nuthuggers who believe the Great Arnold walked on water here's the truth

Height-6'1"
Weight 235-240 pounds
Arms-right at 20 inches pumped
Chest-52 inches
Waist-34-35 inches
Legs-26 inches

Bench Press-405 pound single, 315 for a good set of 8-10
Squat-405 for a couple of reps

I do appreciate your effort to inject a little truth into the b.s. that proliferates Arnold's accomplishments, Dave ... I really do.

Still ...

I am, if not certain, pretty sure Arnold could've benched into the mid-400s. 

I know benching 405 alone is quite an accomplishment and all, but, without being able to prove it, I'd bet Arnold was capable of 450 or so.  I also think that he could "squat" more than 405 at his peak, but that depends a lot on how you define a "squat."  (Arnold's quadriceps were awesome in 1974.  He did look as if he could squat more than 500 then -- though, of course, looks aren't everything.)

I agree on Arnold's waist.  From everything I've seen, he'd be hard-pressed to present less than a 33" waist even when ripped.

But I do think that same Arnold would've registered a larger chest measurement.  My boyfriend Sean has a huge chest, and he is shorter than
Arnold's supposed 6'2"; still, he indicates a man of Arnold's dimensions would have to be upwards of 54" at least.  (Side-note:  Sean doesn't think Arnold had much less than a 34" waist in ripped condition.)  57" seems a little ridiculous, but 54" or so seems well within the realm of possibility.)

What do you think, Sarcasm?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »
I do appreciate your effort to inject a little truth into the b.s. that proliferates Arnold's accomplishments, Dave ... I really do.

Still ...

I am, if not certain, pretty sure Arnold could've benched into the mid-400s. 

I know benching 405 alone is quite an accomplishment and all, but, without being able to prove it, I'd bet Arnold was capable of 450 or so.  I also think that he could "squat" more than 405 at his peak, but that depends a lot on how you define a "squat."  (Arnold's quadriceps were awesome in 1974.  He did look as if he could squat more than 500 then -- though, of course, looks aren't everything.)

I agree on Arnold's waist.  From everything I've seen, he'd be hard-pressed to present less than a 33" waist even when ripped.

But I do think that same Arnold would've registered a larger chest measurement.  My boyfriend Sean has a huge chest, and he is shorter than
Arnold's supposed 6'2"; still, he indicates a man of Arnold's dimensions would have to be upwards of 54" at least.  (Side-note:  Sean doesn't think Arnold had much less than a 34" waist in ripped condition.)  57" seems a little ridiculous, but 54" or so seems well within the realm of possibility.)

What do you think, Sarcasm?
what i think is that a lot of people throw around numbers like "60 inch chest", "22 inch arms", "540 pound bench press" with absolutely no idea of what they're talking about or how large those MUSCULAR measurements are or how heavy a bar loaded down with 5 big plates and a quarter on each side on a bench press really is.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
what i think is that a lot of people throw around numbers like "60 inch chest", "22 inch arms", "540 pound bench press" with absolutely no idea of what they're talking about or how large those MUSCULAR measurements are or how heavy a bar loaded down with 5 big plates and a quarter on each side on a bench press really is.

I'm with you on that Squadfather... Fuck... That kind of weight is just fucking ungodly.

Seriously, has anyone ever really seen a 21 inch CUT arm? It's fucking massive looking.

Why is it so hard to believe that those were Arnold's measurements (the ones you've posted)?

Look at Ronnie... The guy weighed 290 pounds at 5'10" and his arm was around 23 - 24 inches?

Is it really THAT hard to believe that Arnold's arm wasn't as big as it's made out to be?

FullROM

• Getbig III
  • GetBig
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
Damn  you squadfather

Hurt a lot of peoples feelings

I predict 30pages