Author Topic: Packers now shopping favre for a trade  (Read 11725 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Packers now shopping favre for a trade
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
Up I know pretty much any team can compete for a Super Bowl in today's NFL (except maybe Arizona, which is cursed).  That's part of my point.  Teams don't have to be great anymore to win championships.  Just look at the Giants.   

We went through a stretch in the past 10 years or so where a number of Super Bowl winners didn't even make the playoffs the year before. 

I'm not one who believes this mediocrity has been good for the NFL.  Seems like you in agree in part, because football was simply better back in the day. 

I'm not just talking about my Niners, although I obviously miss the glory days.  My point is broader than my team.  I'm talking about the league in general.  I suspect many fans would rather see teams full of stars.  Just look at the NBA and how stars sell out stadiums.  When Shaq and Kobe were playing together they sold out visitor arenas all over the country. 

Regarding my Niners, I don't expect them to compete until they get a QB.  Gore will be fine and he'll likely be in my top 5 when I finally get around to my FF rankings.  The WR group has been upgraded with Bruce and Bryant Johnson.  Davis will be good.  The O-line has been upgraded.  We have playmakers on D. 

They'll be back one of these days.   

Stay away from Gore when it comes to Fantasy play. Never has scored double digit touchdowns since he's been inthe league. The only 49er I would draft at the skill position would be Vernon Davis. I also think you're much better off with starting Shaun Hill at QB. (former Maryland Terp) Nothing special about his abilities but is smart and doesn't lose games for you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
Beach, my point was that the talent level is so much better in the modern day NFL, that's hard to have one or two teams to really separate themselves from the rest. I'm a Ravens season ticket holder and I when I attend games, boy I gotta tell you....today's NFL athlete is on another level from a decade ago. Watching those games live and seeing the game speed that today's NFl player has...wow! There isn't a slow guy on the field these days. Remember Bryan Cox? Linebacker for the Dolphins and Jets? Terrific player but was had a repuitation for being slow. Ran a 4.8 40 yard dash coming into the NFL.

I guarantee there isn't a starting linebacker in the modern NFL who runs that kind of time. And Cox's heyday was in the 90's. We're not talking about that long ago. I just think that these days the talent level is getting so leveled out and that every NFL team has loads of talent on both sides of the ball. I think the success level between great teams and good teams is based on how well the players thrive within a individual team scheme, offensively and defensively.

Sorry bro, i still disagree with you about the 'mediocrity' in the NFL. I love the competition and how every Sunday presents a challenge for every team. Every Sunday there's a greater likelihood you'll be watching a competitive game rather than a blowout.

On another note, I do miss gambling on NFL football when taking the favorite and the point spread was such easy money back in the old days. LOL!

Just a difference of opinion, my man.

I agree with you about the individual talent level.  Athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster.  That's true in pretty much every sport.  What we don't have are better teams and a higher quality of play.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about watching an epic battle between a couple of 500 teams versus a couple teams loaded with studs battling for championships.  I'd rather watch N.E. v. Indy than ATL v. Det.      

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
Stay away from Gore when it comes to Fantasy play. Never has scored double digit touchdowns since he's been inthe league. The only 49er I would draft at the skill position would be Vernon Davis. I also think you're much better off with starting Shaun Hill at QB. (former Maryland Terp) Nothing special about his abilities but is smart and doesn't lose games for you.

I disagree.  Gore is a stud.  He was the third leading rusher in the NFL in 06 on a bad team (1695 yards rushing and 485 yards receiving).  He had 1102 and 426 on a bad team last year.

There are question marks throughout the RB ranks this year and there aren't many guys I'll rank ahead of Gore.  Only things that concern me about him are his two reconstructed knees.   

I may take a look at Bruce or Johnson at WR, because I draft WRs late, but I don't expect much from anyone other than Gore and Davis. 

The QB situation is horrible.  Alex Smith needs to have a great season or both he and Nolan need to go (although overall Nolan has made good personnel decisions).   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »
I disagree.  Gore is a stud.  He was the third leading rusher in the NFL in 06 on a bad team (1695 yards rushing and 485 yards receiving).  He had 1102 and 426 on a bad team last year.

There are question marks throughout the RB ranks this year and there aren't many guys I'll rank ahead of Gore.  Only things that concern me about him are his two reconstructed knees.   

I may take a look at Bruce or Johnson at WR, because I draft WRs late, but I don't expect much from anyone other than Gore and Davis. 

The QB situation is horrible.  Alex Smith needs to have a great season or both he and Nolan need to go (although overall Nolan has made good personnel decisions).   

Gore is a stud but he doesn't score touchdowns that often. Depending on the point- scoring in league play, you want a running back who has a nose for the goaline and Gore hasn't scored more than 8 Td's in one season, I think(rushing only). Yards and receptions score points in some fantasy league but touchdowns are what counts in fantasy football.

I would stay away from Gore because opponents will be stacking eight in the box against him. Defenses won't respect the 49er's passing attack so they'll focus on Gore, which will limit his productivity.

Most or all fantasy people who prefer to draft players from their favorite team end up losing in their drafts. You have to look past your favorite players and draft wisely. There's this guy in my league who is a HUGE Saints fan. Three out of his first six picks are always Saints players and he continues to finish at the bottom of the league year after year. I wonder why. I'm not saying you do that, Beach but Gore is not even in the top eight in fantasy running backs this year. Top eight represents 1/4 quarter of the number of teams in the NFL, so do the math.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2008, 12:01:48 PM »
Gore is a stud but he doesn't score touchdowns that often. Depending on the point- scoring in league play, you want a running back who has a nose for the goaline and Gore hasn't scored more than 8 Td's in one season, I think(rushing only). Yards and receptions score points in some fantasy league but touchdowns are what counts in fantasy football.

I would stay away from Gore because opponents will be stacking eight in the box against him. Defenses won't respect the 49er's passing attack so they'll focus on Gore, which will limit his productivity.

Most or all fantasy people who prefer to draft players from their favorite team end up losing in their drafts. You have to look past your favorite players and draft wisely. There's this guy in my league who is a HUGE Saints fan. Three out of his first six picks are always Saints players and he continues to finish at the bottom of the league year after year. I wonder why. I'm not saying you do that, Beach but Gore is not even in the top eight in fantasy running backs this year. Top eight represents 1/4 quarter of the number of teams in the NFL, so do the math.

I don't rank players based on whether they play on my favorite team.  My analysis of Gore has nothing to do with him being a Niner.  (But I do refuse to draft Dallas Cowboys, just as a matter of principle.   :)) 

Teams won't do anything differently than they did in 06, when Smith started the whole season and stunk up the field.

I play in NFL.com leagues.  One point for every ten yards rushing/receiving and six for TDs.   

I haven't ranked anyone yet, but give me your top 10 RBs for 08.  I guarantee you there are question marks about everyone except LT and possibly Westbrook. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »
I don't rank players based on whether they play on my favorite team.  My analysis of Gore has nothing to do with him being a Niner.  (But I do refuse to draft Dallas Cowboys, just as a matter of principle.   :)) 

Teams won't do anything differently than they did in 06, when Smith started the whole season and stunk up the field.

I play in NFL.com leagues.  One point for every ten yards rushing/receiving and six for TDs.   

I haven't ranked anyone yet, but give me your top 10 RBs for 08.  I guarantee you there are question marks about everyone except LT and possibly Westbrook.  

oh, I do agree with you there brother. There doesn't seem to be much of a sure thing with RB this year, with a few exceptions. But I'm even scared about drafing Westbrook because of his size and vulnerability to injury. My top 10 is as follows:

1. LT
2. Steven Jackson
3. Adrian Peterson(although hs injury history scares me.)
4. Joseph Addai
5. Brian Westbrook
6. Marion Barber
7. Clinton Portis
8. Marshawn Lynch
9. Frank Gore
10. Larry Johnson(which is suprising considering his productivity in the past. But his O-line is suspect. He burned a lot of people last year in fantasy.)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
oh, I do agree with you there brother. There doesn't seem to be much of a sure thing with RB this year, with a few exceptions. But I'm even scared about drafing Westbrook because of his size and vulnerability to injury. My top 10 is as follows:

1. LT
2. Steven Jackson
4. Joseph Addai
5. Brian Westbrook
6. Marion Barber
7. Clinton Portis
8. Marshawn Lynch
9. Frank Gore
10. Larry Johnson(which is suprising considering his productivity in the past. But his O-line is suspect. He burned a lot of people last year in fantasy.)

That looks pretty good.  If you want to talk about QB question marks and/or anemic offenses, the Rams, Vikings, Bills, and Chiefs have significant issues. 

I'm really not sure what to do after LT.  Definitely concerned about Peterson's injury risk. 

LJ is the real wild card.  I avoided him last year in part because of stats someone put together showing the significant drop off the year after a RB has a certain number of carries.  Forget the number, but it was over 400. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

1. LT
2. Steven Jackson
4. Joseph Addai
5. Brian Westbrook
6. Marion Barber
7. Clinton Portis
8. Marshawn Lynch
9. Frank Gore
personally i would put barber up in the 2 or 3 slot any time dallas gets in the red zone theres a good chance that man beast is gonna get a td. either way though if you get any of the top 6 your sitting pretty...Johnson burnt me pretty bad last year I drafted him and then couldnt give that guy away Id probably take Lamont Jordan before johnson.