Author Topic: Coan Deadlift Program RESULTS (page 18)  (Read 237207 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Back to true Strongman training (page 5)
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2008, 06:58:34 PM »
Nothing too great about today. Kind of went at a medium pace. Heres the highlights:

Saturday

Log
1x3x276 EASY but just not into going higher today

Yoke
700lbs for 60' in ~20secs WAY easier than last week

Farmers
1x120'x285/hand - low pick and even easier/faster than the yoke

Axle DL
There was 550lbs on the bar so I ran over and did a couple reps

Did a bunch of other random junk but the whole workout was all over the place because we had some special guests in and they had a different agenda. I just dont know what tomorrow holds but I know it wont be easy.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »
good work brutha.. sick stuff! Way to pound that axle too! DO or OU grip?  ???

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »
good work brutha.. sick stuff! Way to pound that axle too! DO or OU grip?  ???

Thanks! I do switch grip. No one does the axle DO with 550 as far as I know. Watched a couple do 460 DO. Both these guys can pick up the Circus DB one handed as well. Thats 182lbs with a 3" handle. I cleaned it (2 hands) easy but thats where it ended. ;D We will have the "Millenium DB" in a few weeks (238lbs). Once again, no pressing that! I will try the inch though.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »
Thanks! I do switch grip. No one does the axle DO with 550 as far as I know. Watched a couple do 460 DO. Both these guys can pick up the Circus DB one handed as well. Thats 182lbs with a 3" handle. I cleaned it (2 hands) easy but thats where it ended. ;D We will have the "Millenium DB" in a few weeks (238lbs). Once again, no pressing that! I will try the inch though.

WR DO on the axle is 450 something.. but I saw brian shaw pull 495 DO but i don't know if he used a hook grip or not.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »
WR DO on the axle is 450 something.. but I saw brian shaw pull 495 DO but i don't know if he used a hook grip or not.

I dont think even Shaw has the hands to hook it. I will see if I can get him to max it in a couple weeks when he comes.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
Sunday - Still beat up from Saturday :P

750lb Tire Flip
2x5
1x8
1x10 PR I suppose, never tried it with the 750 before

Stone Series
225,265,330+330+330

GHR
3x8xBW

Reverse Hyper
2x8xwhatever was on there already

Im going to do my best to recover fully this week so that I can try to get two PR's next week. I want 800+ on the Yoke for 60' and 335+ on the farmers for at least 60'. A sixty foot run is what we have to work with, otherwise I'd say 80' because thats standard. Gotta do it before the end of the year!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »
Tuesday - Upper Body Speed

Standing OHP/Strict Press/Split Jerk/Jerk (just practicing and experimenting)
2x20xbar
2x8x135 trying different styles
2x6x185 figured out that a combo of jerk and push press work best for me
5x3x225 these FLEW up once I got my bearings

Overhead Extensions
3x10x120 long stretch at the bottom felt nice

Pushdowns
2x12xstack used straight bar and did them very slow and controlled. unbearably slow at times ;D

Pulldowns (very strict)
2x10x210
1x8x255
1x6x300

Weighted Sit Up Machine
3x20xstack

The idea today was technique and strict movement. It felt very good to concentrate on the muscle contractions and every bit of the movement again. I really think I found my technique on OHP and my knees even feel better now.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »
not bad for a 300lb pussy  ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
not bad for a 300lb pussy  ;D

Oh snap! This from the skinny-fat Texan bottom bitch? ;D

Im honored! 8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
Wednesday - Lower Body Speed

Front Squats
2x10xbar
2x10x135
1x6x225
9x2x225+green bands (bar was bending like a bitch at the top)

BB Rows
2x10x315 DO grip

Hypers
2x10x4 plates
1x6x6 plates

Weird ass torture device disguised as ab machine
2x10xstack

Will have to do more abs later because the gym was closing early today. The front squats were stupid easy, but any more weight and I would have sacrificed speed. I am ready to break some PR's this weekend! 8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
Oh snap! This from the skinny-fat Texan bottom bitch? ;D

Im honored! 8)

i'm only on bottom when i'm sore asshole..  >:(

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2008, 09:18:39 AM »
i'm only on bottom when i'm sore asshole..  >:(

if your asshole is sore, i think being on the bottom isn't your best choice.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2008, 11:01:20 PM »
Saturday - OHP Max

Push Press
2x20xbar
2x10x135
1x6x185
1x5x225
1x1x275
1x1x315 <<<added wrist wraps here
1x1x335 PR and it went SOOO easy
3x0x350 I psyched myself out on this AND lost all my air on lift off <<<belt added here
2x.95x345 I was right freakin there!!! Just missed the lockout >:( >:( >:(

This was pretty much all I did. The 315 and 335 went so fast it was a little scary really. I also found it hard to keep my air with any more weight on the bar. Today was a great learning experience though. I learned proper placement on my belt and wrist wraps for max attempts. Also, I wrapped my knee a little differently and it felt great! Pretty good day.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:25 AM »
well that's the thing with a push press, ain't it? either it's fast or you miss it. you can't really "grind" through one. sick weight, though.  :o

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »
well that's the thing with a push press, ain't it? either it's fast or you miss it. you can't really "grind" through one. sick weight, though.  :o

True. I just really psyched myself out for some reason. :-\

Side note: my knees are THROBBING today!!!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
Forgot to post last weeks stuff but who cares?

Tuesday - Upper Body Speed

Strict OHP
barx20
2x10x135
2x3x135
2x3x185
3x3x225
3x3x185 shoulders felt great and the bar was moving fast

Incline Bench
1x10x225 not sure why but this was REALLY easy today
1x5x275 right shoulder started to pinch so I stopped

DB Side Laterals
2x10x50's concentrating on form

DB Rear Laterals
2x10x80's made my shoulder feel much better

Ab Torture Device
1x119843xstack

Everything felt very light today. Shoulder didnt act up so much either. I see a 320lb log press in my near future! ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2009, 12:13:40 AM »
Wednesday - Low Body Speed

Front Squats
2x8x135
1x6x225
1x2x275
2x2x315
4x2x275 added bands (~300lbs@bottom/~490lbs@top)

Rack DL from knees w/ bands
2x1x405 (~455/bottom - ~605/top)
3x1x495 (~545/bottom - ~695/top)

Leg Exts
2x10xstack - these suck and will probably never do them again

Abs
Nothing new here - just getting bored with abs but ya gotta do them + it makes my back feel a ton better

Wish I had a lower rack. Gonna have to steal some step up pads to use as blocks.

I will never use a Leg Extension machine again if I dont have to. My knees were killing me after this. It used to help my knees.

I still cant hold much past 315lbs on front squats. It just slips. I did 405 last week and almost dumped it. The bands keep the bar digging into my shoulder so it may be the only way I can FS until I get one of these. http://www.frontsquatharness.com/NGHarness.htm

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2009, 04:14:00 AM »
Front squat harness thing looks sweet... I suck at front squats.  Pricey though!   :o

:)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »
you guys make me laugh with these stupid bands and trying to estimate how much weight it is, if you can really do the weight just put the weight on the bar, i laugh my ass off at this "2000 pounds at the top, 50 at the bottom" bullshit. :D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
Do not know if this will work for everyone, just a  consideration. Have seen a few guy's fold a towel over a couple of times (long ways), loop it over the bar, grasp the two folded ends, lift the elbows as high as they can to keep a amount of pressure on the bar (setting it against slips) and do front squats that way. The towel can even pad the shoulders a bit.

When doing front squats the heavier the bar the more solid it should set upon the chest/shoulders. The main factor being, if the elbows are kept high enough. Skinny people may have a problem when holding front squats because of a lack of muscle mass to pad or set the bar upon. Some experienced men do a hands free front squat or a cross over hand position. Either are really not holding the bar in any firm manner.

Of course the hand spacing, on the bar, will have a great affect of how controlled and comfortable the bar feels on the shoulders. Anyone try a curl grip when doing front squats? Good Luck.
F

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
Do not know if this will work for everyone, just a  consideration. Have seen a few guy's fold a towel over a couple of times (long ways), loop it over the bar, grasp the two folded ends, lift the elbows as high as they can to keep a amount of pressure on the bar (setting it against slips) and do front squats that way. The towel can even pad the shoulders a bit.

When doing front squats the heavier the bar the more solid it should set upon the chest/shoulders. The main factor being, if the elbows are kept high enough. Skinny people may have a problem when holding front squats because of a lack of muscle mass to pad or set the bar upon. Some experienced men do a hands free front squat or a cross over hand position. Either are really not holding the bar in any firm manner.

Of course the hand spacing, on the bar, will have a great affect of how controlled and comfortable the bar feels on the shoulders. Anyone try a curl grip when doing front squats? Good Luck.

Thanks, jpm. My main problem is flexibility. I cant seem to keep my elbows high enough. Not only that but I cant use clean grip either, cant reach. I have been told it could take as much as 6 months to gain the flexibility needed to use the clean grip. Its not that important to me. I have tried the towel around the bar, and other variations, but still I cant get max weight. I was able to about a year ago for some reason?

you guys make me laugh with these stupid bands and trying to estimate how much weight it is, if you can really do the weight just put the weight on the bar, i laugh my ass off at this "2000 pounds at the top, 50 at the bottom" bullshit. :D

I use the bands to pull the weight into my shoulder so I can hold it. No other way at the moment. I enjoy your constructive criticism though! :D

Heres how bands work: http://www.if.uidaho.edu/~chris/docs/CalculatingElasticBandTensions.pdf

Front squat harness thing looks sweet... I suck at front squats.  Pricey though!   :o

I will probably build my own. $250 is pretty steep for two pieces of curved metal with pegs, a bolt, and some padding. :-\

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

feel free to travel to WSBB and tell them that you think training with bands are laugh-worthy. i'm sure after they hop off the platform after nailing an 1050 pound squat they'll calmly explain to you why they disagree.  :D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2009, 06:19:54 AM »
feel free to travel to WSBB and tell them that you think training with bands are laugh-worthy. i'm sure after they hop off the platform after nailing an 1050 pound squat they'll calmly explain to you why they disagree.  :D
how did Lee Moran, Don Reinhoudt, Bill Kazmaier, Jim Williams, Dave Waddington, Dave Pasanella,e tc. all squat 900-1000+ pounds without them then? ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:59 AM »
how did Lee Moran, Don Reinhoudt, Bill Kazmaier, Jim Williams, Dave Waddington, Dave Pasanella,e tc. all squat 900-1000+ pounds without them then? ::)

point is you're laughing at a training method used by guys who could carry on a conversation while repping out with your max on any given lift. the eliteFTS guys (and say what you will, tate, and jim W are damn experts on the sport) definitely advocate bands.

here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp

chad aichs, brian schwab, ano turtainen, bartley, the list goes on. but hey, i guess you're smarter than those guys, right? maybe you should start posting on there and telling them what they're doing wrong. i'm sure someone like aichs could learn a lot from a herculean exemplar such as yourself. ::)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
point is you're laughing at a training method used by guys who could carry on a conversation while repping out with your max on any given lift. the eliteFTS guys (and say what you will, tate, and jim W are damn experts on the sport) definitely advocate bands.

here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp

chad aichs, brian schwab, ano turtainen, bartley, the list goes on. but hey, i guess you're smarter than those guys, right? maybe you should start posting on there and telling them what they're doing wrong. i'm sure someone like aichs could learn a lot from a herculean exemplar such as yourself. ::)
hahaha, coming from the guy who's legs tremble squatting 405 and benches 315 so slowly i could write a novel before you finish a set. :D