Author Topic: Coan Deadlift Program RESULTS (page 18)  (Read 237926 times)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
Re: Injuries and why NOT to work through them (starts pg 11)
« Reply #325 on: July 16, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »
True it helps with conditioning but sometimes you just have to take a few minutes after a heavy set. :)

I don't actually pay attention to how long I rest. I just get it done as fast as is possible for that day.

man i feel bad for people who are always timing their rest periods. i just walk to the water fountain get a drink adjust the weight and go again. heavy sets i do the same but i wait until i am ready to go. i am thinking of adding the norton stomp for added calorie burn though ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2009, 02:29:57 PM »
man i feel bad for people who are always timing their rest periods. i just walk to the water fountain get a drink adjust the weight and go again. heavy sets i do the same but i wait until i am ready to go. i am thinking of adding the norton stomp for added calorie burn though ;D

Yeah I hear ya. All the way solid plan. ;)

Friday AM - Cardio

15mins Elliptical/15mins Treadmill @ moderate intensity

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
Friday PM - Legs

GM's
1x10x135
1x10x225

Box Squats (11" box)
1x3x225
7x2x315 felt great. Kinda tweaked my back on the last rep though. Just got off balance for a sec.

Leg Ext's
2x12x1/2 stack

DB Side Bends
1x10x90's
1x10x120's

Abductor & Adductor machines
2x10xstack on each

Standing Cable Crunch
1x10x150
1x10x180
1x10x165

Would have been a PERFECT workout if not for that tweak in my back. No big deal, ab movements make it better. I really think there is a lot of benefit to the ab/adductor machines. When squatting you are trying to "push the floor apart" so it only makes sense to work those muscles directly. It makes my lower back feel a great deal better too and thats always welcome. If you have the machines in your gym I suggest trying it. Maybe it will help your numbers go up? That remains to be seen but I like them anyway. ;)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »
Saturday morning weight=293. Haven't lost much strength yet but Im only 12lbs down so far.

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #329 on: July 18, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »
Box Squats (11" box)

How tall are you?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV

yng466

• Getbig III
« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
THE BODY CAN ONLY HEAL ITSELF SO MANY TIMES,WHY DO YOU THINK ANIMALS IN THE ZOO LIVE SO MUCH LONGER THAN ANIMALS IN THE WILD?
PARTY LIKE A PIRATE!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »
Saturday - OFF

Sunday - Cardio

30mins HIIT cardio on Elliptical

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
6 foot.

How much does 11" put you below parallel?  I'm on a 15" box and I'm 2" below, although I have long legs for my height (5"11). 

Or do you train this low so that a competition depth squat is that much easier?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
How much does 11" put you below parallel?  I'm on a 15" box and I'm 2" below, although I have long legs for my height (5"11). 

Or do you train this low so that a competition depth squat is that much easier?

Its about 4" below, I think? Just estimating by what I see in the mirror. When I squat down to a bench its about parallel. You aren't counting parallel by the bottom of your leg being parallel with the floor, are you? Its a level line from knee to hip joint.

I have always squatted deep with anything 405 and under. It just feels better and definitely makes more power out of the bottom. Thats not to say that it should be done all of the time. I train this way because it helps with strongman and keeps flexibility up.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #335 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:15 AM »
Has anyone ever thought of strapping a level to their leg to see if the hit parallel? ;D Strap it in tight from knee to hip, take it for a ride to make sure it stays, and thats all the judgement anyone would ever need to judge a squat. Perhaps using a string level and two loops that are sewn into the suit at the desired points?

I think this is a real option and it would stop all the internet judges dead in their tracks.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #336 on: July 20, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »
Monday - Shoulders

OHP w/ bands
2x10x135 warmup
5x3x135 + purples
2x3x185 + purples All with little to no leg drive at all.

Mini Shoulder Circuit
5reps front raise + 5 rear lateral + 5 side lateral + 10 OHP x 3 sets x 35's on 2 sets, 50's on the other.

Reverse Grip One Arm Pushdowns
3x10x75

After the circuit (that made my shoulders burn like fvcking LAVA!) my shoulder pinch felt a lot better. I was fast and controlled the whole workout. Told myself to 'take it easy and focus on speed and contraction' and it paid off. My workouts are going much smoother now with the increased rest and lots of cardio.

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Has anyone ever thought of strapping a level to their leg to see if the hit parallel? ;D Strap it in tight from knee to hip, take it for a ride to make sure it stays, and thats all the judgement anyone would ever need to judge a squat. Perhaps using a string level and two loops that are sewn into the suit at the desired points?

I think this is a real option and it would stop all the internet judges dead in their tracks.

That could be crazy enough to work. ;D  I may actually use a similiar method to check exact parallel for myself and build three box heights depending on how low I want to go with it.  It would be simple to have a camera set at parallel take a picture of the string as the lifter hit bottom and determine if they were low enough.  I'll put some pics on my training log once I get this done.

Better yet, have the squatter hold the squat at the bottom position while someone comes out to check for level.  ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #338 on: July 20, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
That could be crazy enough to work. ;D  I may actually use a similiar method to check exact parallel for myself and build three box heights depending on how low I want to go with it.  It would be simple to have a camera set at parallel take a picture of the string as the lifter hit bottom and determine if they were low enough.  I'll put some pics on my training log once I get this done.

Better yet, have the squatter hold the squat at the bottom position while someone comes out to check for level.  ;D

The squatting to a string thing is different though because you could touch some other part of you to the string, like your hams. A string level from hip to knee is infallible. Once that bubble crosses into the middle, its over. Use two small bungee cords or big rubber bands and a couple of safety pins with the string level in the middle. Attach them in a straight line from knee to hip joint on some compression shorts (so they dont move on the skin) and you are in business!

Stupid simple solution to a problem that has been a detriment to powerlifting for years.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #339 on: July 21, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
There are no rules as to what the optimal rest times are, and 3 minutes is way too long IMO. At most, 2 minutes is sufficient, and then only after very heavy draining sets. Keeping the rests down is a great way to hit the muscles intensely and to help with conditioning.

The rest intervals I gave are the ones prescribed in the program.  I just finished the program he's doing.  I wouldn't change the rest periods.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #340 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »
Tuesday - Cardio

Light walk around neighborhood 25mins

This was boring as all hell but I was unable to do cardio in the little gym I use because there was some dude in there that obviously does not believe in bathing. It wasnt just BO, it actually went to both floors of this little gym and, as I approached his area, I about vomited. I have never smelt anyone so foul in my life, especially at 20' away. Fvckin dirtbag!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #341 on: July 22, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »
Wednesday - DL (Coan Program week 4)

GM's
3x8x225

Deads
1x5x225
1x5x315
1x3x405
1x2x495
1x1x570 couldnt get the second rep, no way.
3x3x475 had two more sets but no.

Sup Grip Pulldowns
3x8x240?

Skipped SLDL and BB Rows. Will do rows on Friday anyway.

I just had nothing left. I have been running around and not eating all day. Didnt do too bad, all things considered. I was afraid of tweaking my back again so my form was super strict. It always should be but you know how it is. Those "speed deads" at the end (475x3x3) were impossible today. I was spent by the time I hit 495, haha. Not too bad though. Next week will be easier but then in two week we start getting into PR range, so that will be rough.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #342 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:35 PM »
You've been missing a lot of weights and cutting out a lot of accessory stuff on the Coan program.  My personal suggestion would be to recalculate from here on out with a lower goal, maybe 5-10lbs above a current PR and then retest on week 11.  I think if I'd done that I would have smashed the shit out of my old PR.  As it stands I went through 9 weeks of hell only to miss on a 3lb PR in week 9.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #343 on: July 23, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »
You've been missing a lot of weights and cutting out a lot of accessory stuff on the Coan program.  My personal suggestion would be to recalculate from here on out with a lower goal, maybe 5-10lbs above a current PR and then retest on week 11.  I think if I'd done that I would have smashed the shit out of my old PR.  As it stands I went through 9 weeks of hell only to miss on a 3lb PR in week 9.

Yeah, I dont think the workload is correct for a natural lifter. My lower back cannot take that constant punishment; I would completely over train. I have to modify it or I wouldnt get anywhere. Im going to see if what I do works and if not, too bad.

I havent actually missed a weight yet, just reps or sets. ;D

That being said, I think I will lower the weights a bit for the last few weeks. Like this:

Week 5
Deadlift (80%): 3x3 @ 510 495 lbs
Speed deadlift (65%): 3x3 @ 415 405 lbs (120 sec rest b/w sets)
Power shrugs (60% of current): 3x5 @ 350 lbs
Stiff-leg deadlift: 3x5
Bent over row: 3x5
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 3x5
Arched back good morning: 3x5 <<<I will always be doing these before I start DLing. Every week.

Week 6
Deadlift (85%): 1x2 @ 540 525 lbs
Speed deadlift (70%): 3x3 @ 445 425 lbs (120 sec rest b/w sets)
Power shrugs (65% of current): 3x5 @ 380 lbs
Stiff-leg deadlift: 3x5
Bent over row: 3x5
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 3x5
Arched back good morning: 3x5

Week 7
Deadlift (90%): 1x2 @ 570 545 lbs
Speed deadlift (75%): 3x3 @ 475 455 lbs (120 sec rest b/w sets)
Power shrugs (70% of current): 2x5 @ 410 lbs
Stiff-leg deadlift: 2x5
Bent over row: 2x5
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 2x5
Arched back good morning: 2x5

Week 8
Deadlift (95%): 1x2 @ 605 585 lbs
Speed deadlift (70%): 3x3 @ 445 405 lbs (120 sec rest b/w sets)
Power shrugs (75% of current): 2x5 @ 440 lbs
Bent over row: 2x5
Underhand (reverse) grip lat pulldown: 2x5
Arched back good morning: 2x5

Week 9
Deadlift (97.5%): 1x1 @ 620 605 lbs
Speed deadlift (70%): 2x3 @ 445 lbs (rest as needed b/w sets)
Power shrugs (75% of current): 2x5 @ 440 lbs

Week 10
Deadlift (100%): 1x1 @ 635 625 lbs
Speed deadlift (60%): 2x3 @ 380 lbs (rest as needed b/w sets)

That should be much better. If I can hit it, great! If not its not a big deal because I feel good now by taking it easy and have been losing weight consistently.

Thanks for looking that over for me, Zach.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #344 on: July 23, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
Thursday - Cardio

30mins HIIT elliptical/treadmill. Legs were burning like hell on the elliptical; switched to treadmill.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #345 on: July 24, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
Friday - Chest

Incline BB warmup
2x20x135

Incline DB's
2x8x90's
1x12x120's
1x8x120's <<<Need to start having some sugar before my workouts. :-[

Cable Flyes
2x10x100/hand

DB Rows
2x10x120's

Preacher curls
3x10-12?x70 just picked up what was sitting there.

Alt DB Curl
2xfailurex50's once my arms were basically dead I threw in hammers for punishment. Strict and it fvckin burned....damn.

HS Row
2x10x225

Good night I guess? My stamina is good for about one set with chest. I dont really hit it much so I guess I will have to work on that. Every time I do incline or bench of any sort I feel it in my triceps and delts more than anything. With the DB's my pecs really felt it.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »
Saturday - Cardio

30 mins moderate cardio on Elliptical.

This is getting a bit easy since doing HIIT sessions. Not sweating as much or breathing as hard but my legs are burning because I am having to up the resistance. Tried to jog the other day but my knees are just not up to it yet, sadly. I will try again when I get under 280, but I have a feeling I would have to be ~240 to be able to get very far. I MAY go to 240 but its a bit small for me; under 250 and I feel like a little girl. ;D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
Sunday AM - Cardio

40 minute walk.

Morning weight=291 almost to the first 15. 8) Its coming off so slowly that Im sure its all fat. Not losing much strength either.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #348 on: July 27, 2009, 11:18:15 PM »
Monday - Lower Body Speed

Box Squats (slightly above parallel, <1")
2x10x135
1x8x225
1x5x315
8x2x405 These moved so fast my knees almost couldnt take it. Wrapped left knee for 1 set and then it was better. ???

Lying Leg Curl
2x10xstack

Leg Ext's
3x15x150 felt SOOOO good on my knees!

Hip Ab/Adductor
2x10-12xstack on each

Standing Rope Crunch (on pulldown tower)
3x10x180

Everything felt REALLY EASY tonight! The only concern is that on the speed squats, my left knee was starting to "go out." My left is not the worse of the two either. The right has sustained a detrimental tear but the left has never been torn. Doesnt make sense. Then I decided to wrap it and do some BW squats and it just magically got better. I think what happened was that I worked the fluid collection out of it with the compression and stretches. Glad to have that in my bag of tricks now! 8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #349 on: July 28, 2009, 02:08:58 PM »
Tuesday AM - Cardio

HIIT on Elliptical for 30 mins

Getting really easy. Going to need to up my intense intervals I guess.