Author Topic: Goudy/Ursus NEW improved training log  (Read 59245 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: John Goudy Training Thread: Started 26th July 08
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »
lazy..you coudl've gotten 6 with that weight no problem HAHA  ;D >:(

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »
lazy..you coudl've gotten 6 with that weight no problem HAHA  ;D >:(

Ha ha i wish

Was v pre exhausted. But i def recokon 3. On the plus side 374lb bench is looking pretty good for teh 13th. I want at least 363lbs (165kg) with a pause

I have came to thinking that for me maybe the best way to train for strength is to train for size. Get better at a certain weight for certains reps. ie dont go over 10 absolute max then gradually taper it down rather than doing a designated 3-6 rep range programme. I iwll divulge on this soon if anyone actually cares lol

Back biceps today.

weighted chins 66lbs 5 sets
weighted pullups 10lb 5 sets
chest supported rows 5 sets 140lbs (epic)
cable rows 3 sets
Peacher curls 6 sets s/s drag curls
Forearm stuff**

Man today was weird. I was arguing with a guy in teh gym i know for so long zapped the energy right out of me lol...we were laughing at the end saying how i fucked up his workout lol tbh it done teh same to me. Chins felt heavy as fuck. More than they should have. Cable rows are getting really good. Feeling a powerful stretch and weight is also getting very respectable for the ROM. Yes people add more weight than me though their ROM sucks. At least mine is pulled right to chest.

Also there is a Polish guy in my gym. Basically guy is a freak with insane strength and particularly grip. he was a rock climber. Showed me a forearm exercise i done. Says it will build great size and strength. gave it a go and really felt it and enjoyed it. Could literally see the veins pop out as i done it. Got really ahrd pump. My forearms are probaly my genetically gifted strong part...lets see if i can get these babies up to 17" goosenecked lol

I have seen it before and i am sure many of u have. It involves holding a bar at one end parallel to teh ground with a weight on the other end. You will feel a burn. He said a lumberjack friend of his back home can do this with an olympic bar! Guy aint a bullshitter so i believe him

Also i took a pic of my chest earlier. Was before workout/. Now my chest sucks big time though it is improving. It doesnt have that full round shape from the nipple to the armpit. It is getting better though man its frustrating when kids who train 1 year have that fullness. I am thinking possible because my grip on bench press is very narrow. My pinky is 3-4" inside the rings. apologies for the b/w photo. Never realised lol

I appreciate all comments and questions.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »
17 inch forearms? ::)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
Very good progress.

I have seen it before and i am sure many of u have. It involves holding a bar at one end parallel to teh ground with a weight on the other end. You will feel a burn. He said a lumberjack friend of his back home can do this with an olympic bar! Guy aint a bullshitter so i believe him

This is probably what's known as leverage bar work or "levering". It was popular with bodybuilders and weightlifters long ago, but seems to have fell out of favor. It is stil used by gripmen and arm wrestlers quite a bit.

Becareful with adding weight thought, as itcnlato nagging wrist problems if progress is made too fast.

Our most famous leverist here in the States is probably Slim "The Hammerman" Farman, You can see a photo of his hammer act here: www.bigsteel.net (scroll to the middle of the page) .

:).  

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »
17 inch forearms? ::)
16" goosenecked atm. I have proved this many times.

Help staright out infornt of me tensed but not goosenecked they are over 14.5"

I believe i have verified both these claims on this numerous times

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »
Very good progress.

This is probably what's known as leverage bar work or "levering". It was popular with bodybuilders and weightlifters long ago, but seems to have fell out of favor. It is stil used by gripmen and arm wrestlers quite a bit.

Becareful with adding weight thought, as itcnlato nagging wrist problems if progress is made too fast.

Our most famous leverist here in the States is probably Slim "The Hammerman" Farman, You can see a photo of his hammer act here: www.bigsteel.net (scroll to the middle of the page) .

:).  

Thanks man yes its a great exercise very interesting and seems to be very beneficial. I thought it was levering was just not sure.

I only added 0.5kg to a heavy e-z bar. I am always very careful slow and deliberate when adding weight to bars etc.

thanks for the interest

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
Impressive physique

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »
thank you friend.

i have been looking at ur training log. enjoying browsing through peoples training logs

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »
16" goosenecked atm. I have proved this many times.

Help staright out infornt of me tensed but not goosenecked they are over 14.5"

I believe i have verified both these claims on this numerous times
Bill Kazmaier's forearms were taped at right at 18 inches at 340 pounds, are yours still 17?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
I never claimed 17 " forearms...what i siad was lets see if i can get them to 17 now i am training them. Man you not reading all the words these days or summat.

Mine are 16" goosenecked right now. Something i also made very clear.

And yes i stand by my measurements

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »
Shoulders today.

Through improving my posture sitting at the computer and asking friends to help me lift shit at the gym when my back is tired is helping me a lot. Feeling so much better every day. On monday i jarred by back badly shoulder pressing with a weight i am very comfortable with. I was worried though by wednesday it felt good.

I was nervous and apprechensive and today deciding to do shoulders again i used my PLing belt. Worked wonders. Felt so much stronger and form was tighter. I also consciously thought about and tensed abs during and before every rep.

I done less volume to maintain my strict form and so that i could concentrate without getting sloppy.

I also took an extended warm up and though first sign of pain i would quit. The pain never came.

I did this

Shoulders traps

Military press
100lbs x 5
144lbs x 5
178lbs x 3
188lbs x 3
198lbs 5x3
209lbs x 3
178lbs x 10

Behind back shrugs
198lbs 3x10

Arnold Presses s/s with side laterals
80lbs s/s 30lbs 3 sets

All done. felt good and strong so thought best to call it quits. This should also maintain my strength prior to my bench press comp on Saturday the 13th and minimise risk of injury.

Here are vids. First is the last set of 198lbs x 3
second is of 209lbs x 3

Great day. I may have a trapped nerve in my tricep forearm and hand lol Possibnly same one.

Looking forward to squats tomorrow. Will be light though i might just do very high volume with very light weight if possible. 10x10 with 150lbs maybe

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »
Question on presses...

...is the elbows out position, like in the book "StartingStrength" common?

It feels way better if one does it more like a normal press - wider distance between the elbows.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
Yes, the elbows out is a common grip/position. Once the rules were loosened from the old standards, all types of grips, stances etc.... became common. While some of it had to do with muscle recruitment, most had to do with various lifter's bone structures, particularly the relationship between the forearm and the upper arm bones.   

Pick the style that works best for you:).

Here's a neat old article on various pressing maladies:
 http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/08/problems-of-press-charles-smith.html .

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2008, 07:30:12 AM »
Nice bench press John!

Looked fairly easy for you.

Good luck with your competition.

8)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks it felt easy enough. Sue its not gonna set any records or set the world on fire though it was definately comfortable.

Did back today. was nothing at all to report about so i wont lol

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »
Also i wa son a social networking site and added a girl i know from a bar i work in. Going through her old photos found a pic of me in the background early one nite in work.

I thought i look ok in it so ill show it. I am now around 5kgs heavier than in the pic. Going by the old uniform that was taken 9-12 months ago. Was surprised how i looked so neway lol

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
Good luck with the competition man, best of luck to you!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »
Cheers zach. 374lbs to me would be unreal.

A 20yr old from my club at 210lbs is going for 400lbs drug free and raw

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »
I will just give a run down of the past few days.

2 days ago i was training agy at 8am so i trained after that. Was harder since i was up at a time i am never up at at and never had the food in me. Still done all i wanted to do.

I just done on military press 198-209lbs 5x3 in 2.2lb increments. Then dropped down to 178lbs and done 2x8. Still wearing a belt and it was v strong. Fucked up one rep though cos belt was too tight and restritive on my t shirt so i pressed up and cudnt lock out lol Was annoying but funny at same time.

I then done the rest of my trap and shoulder workout.

Today i squatted. yes i am bcak squatting very light with good form and lots and lots of reps. only 155lbs x20, 15, 12, 10...so easy as expected. Legs tired. Then good mornings leg extensions curls and calves. My legs are sore now lol

I dont think i have lost much strength at all in my legs though as i said i am waiting maybe 10 more days before i start deadlifting again. I feel good and strong though better safe than sorry :)

Also, forgot track bottoms today so i ran to shop to but some shorts...looked likea 70s tennis player but so fuck.

Anyway....Bench comp is on sat. The training for it has been good though i am working early tomorro training a fella 6.30am rise 8am start, then will come home and sleep for a bit. Then i am working in a shop till half 7 then i start work as a doorman at 8-1. All being well i can get home bt 2 at the latest. I also told the fella that i would train him at 9am on sat orning so i am losing out on another bit of sleep lol I regret telling him i could do it though he seems eager so i thought why not. Gives me a chance to eat and drink plenty lol...everything just seems a rush these days. Def taking a day or 2 off after this comp and loweriing a lot of my weights down on all the main exercises (except squat inclines db's and shoulder press)

Just hope i dont get too tired or run down before it. Then on saturday i may have to leave early before the end of teh comp to start work at 8pm. Then working sunday and monday again lol Sometimes i forget how easy i have it.

As i got older i learnt to anticipate the end of a cycle rather than waiting for it to smack you in the fucking face lol. Next goal by Xmas is 275lbs 5x10 paused. This should put me at a 400lb bench press by my reckoning...well hopefully lol

Ill try to get pics and vids of teh comp for anyone interested at all. and hopefully my lifts. Dont know if i will get on for any length of time from tomorro afternoon till sunday night so wish me luck lol

Any comments questions always appreciated :)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
Well sat was a disaster but honestly not bothered.

On wednesday i had a touch of the shits. I hate 2-3 watery shits before lunchtime (i was up at 6.30am that day) Was able to train etc Then before i started work i took an immodium tablet(stops diahorrea) worked well. Until friday night when i started hgetting the shits in work, not ideal on the door.

This continued right until this afternoon when i had a normal shit thank fuck.

On sat i thought i had no hope. Lost too much weight from shits then got up there weighed in etc...cudnt eat though so eventually i thought fuck it. Just loaded and spotted for the majority of the day though helping friends teammates out and anyone else who wanted a spot.

In hindsight wasnt a bad move. Saved me money for a start. Also everyone in the team and indeed the comp had a shit day (few exceptions) Weights they were playoing with in the comp seemed so heavy to them. I would have bene no different and indeed would have had a shit day aswell.

So having rested for a few days and not lifted anything heavy at all for a few days i will drop almost everything on every exercise back down and just fuck about for a few weeks before it gets heavy again. Maybe try to train faster to get a pumpo etc. Naturally i will keep a few exercises heavy so i dont go totally to shit. My squatting also is starting to move again. Will start deadlifting next week, hopefully that wiull be me in a clear run for a few months.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
Sucks to hear, bro.  Better luck next time, no sense going for it when you're feeling off like that.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »
na mate i not too bothered. particularly when so many had an off day.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »
Back training

Chest Triceps

Flat bench
275lbs 5x5 paused

Incline DB's
121lbs 5x5

CG Bench
198lbs 3x10

Weighted dips
88lbs 3x6

Pushdowns
3x20

Overhead DB extensions
70lbs 3 sets

Today was my first day back training. As expected the bench felt heavy despite only being 11lbs heavier han last day. I warmed into it ok and by the last set it was piss easy. This was despite not eating very much at all today before training. So it was ok. Dumbells dead on too. I purposelt dropped weight down on teh CG's and dips to give my body a break but so that i can build up to a heavier weight again let niggles etc heal

Pushdowns were piss easy as were OH DB extensions.

Just an easy day no real weight pushed or effort put in. Taking easy next week or so on all things except squats. Thinking about deadlifting this week though i iwll see how i feel on thursday.

Back Bis tomorro...dropping weight down on a lot of things too hoping to build back up

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »
Back Bis

weighted chins
5x5 44lbs...so so easy

weighted pullups
4x6 soooooo easy

Chest supported rows
5x8 (really liking this exercise)

Cable rows
3 sets

Hammer curls
4 sets

Preacher curls s/s drag curls
3 sets

All very easy and relatively enjoyable depite being tired and having no food. I will be dropping weight down again tomorro on shoulders going for the pump and taking it easy at least for next 3-4 workouts before the weight starts to creep back up. Like i said before. I am learning to take a break now before my body cries for a break

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2008, 02:03:37 PM »
Shoulders today

Trained with a weight and at a pace i never had done before. Shoulders were fucking fried.

Bought weight gainer also. trying 10x10 on legs tomorro so see how it goes.

Bis are particularly sore from a variation on an exercise i done yesterday...interesting