Author Topic: USAPL Milwaukee Open 1/30/10  (Read 43127 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: 400/250/400 by 2010
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
It's your first meet, you can't expect everything to go well. That would be extremely optimistic.

True that.  My first meet is in a little over two weeks and I'm going in expecting it to be a complete clusterfuck, but it'll be good to just get the initial plunge over with.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: USAPL Milwaukee Open 1/30/10
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
It has been a LONG time but I am still at it and just getting back into powerlifting.  This past summer/fall I competed at Team Universe as a bodybuilder and it looks like they moved the show to mid July for next year which completely screws up my training...my plans had been to qualify for USAPL Nationals in January, do Nationals in May, hopefully qualify for the Arnold and then start dieting for Team Universe.  The way it looks I will be taking the year off bodybuilding to focus solely on powerlifting and put up some great numbers.

So far I haven't been back in the gear and have just been messing around trying to get under heavier weight.  2 weeks ago I had a heavier week and I pulled 370 for 2, benched 175 for 2 and squatted 365 for 3 with wraps (prob just above parallel, my problem persists with breaking that extra inch).  Not a bad place to start for the season, just wanted to get my strength back after all the brutal dieting.  Last week I took completely off...this week I am back in the gym and next week I will get into the gear!

I do have some big goals this year but may as well set them high ;)  From what I have heard Priscilla Ribik is out for the season which leaves Nationals wide open, my goal is to total over 1100.  I really think I can do this and if I want to qualify for the Arnold I will have to.  It will be interesting and probably very frustrating getting my squat down this year, I know the USAPL is strict in their judging.

Will do my best to keep my training up to date here.  For now a video from 2 weeks ago:
Jennifer

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
Something about a girl that can deadlift, hmmmm.......

Nice lifts, good luck!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2009, 04:44:59 AM »
welcome back to posting on the training board, still looking strong.

well at least my bench is still better than yours ;D

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »
well 11venth that isn't saying much!  lol...

So I had a fun thanksgiving and weekend out in Nebraska and got to go to one of my favorite gyms, Big Iron.   If you haven't heard of Big Iron it is one of the best APF gyms out there with Rick Hussey running it.  Rick is one of the best coaches out there and his team is big and amazing.  It was a great time, if you are ever in Omaha I recommend checking it out!

I squatted and deadlifted out there...they weren't the best workouts but I think with the week off, traveling, and being with different equipment got me out of my comfort zone.  It also doesn't help that I want to kill it every workout and it is hard to take it easy.

Squats I worked my way up to 315 for 3 with a light wrap and for some reason thought I would jump to 365 with a tight wrap...not so much, I got buried under the weight.  When I think back I don't know what my reasoning was other then I was caught up in the moment. 

Then I got to talking to the guys about my deadlift...I asked them a bunch of questions and from what they said the tighter the deadlift suit the better.  The suit I was wearing last year was pretty loose so I was interested to see how this would affect the lift.  Luckily I had brought my suit and broke it out for deads.  The problem going into the workout is I was no where near recovered as I squatted on Thursday and deadlifted on Saturday.  My legs and lower back were still sore as shit but I didn't have any other option because I did want to pull out there with Rick.  He knew from the beginning there would be some issues because I wasn't recovered....

Their dead bar is slightly thinner and it was rough!  My hands took a bit of a beating...I pulled 315 easy for 3, was planning on doing 2 more sets, one at 365 and one at 380...I figured I have been pulling 365ish consistently so there definitely wouldn't be a problem especially because I had my squat suit on...I was WRONG!  Ha, I just couldn't lock it out that last 2 inches, I tried twice and was done...the suit was KILLING me.  I have forgotten how uncomfortable it really is and that suit is tight.  After the workout I talked with Rick and asked if he thought I should stick with that suit or go to a looser one, he says stick with the tight one-I can get to the bar so it will be the best option. 

Rick also had another interesting idea...he says to never train raw which is completely opposite to what I hear most people saying.  He thinks that even though I don't wear briefs for the USAPL I should get a pair to train in...he think it will help work the fast twitch fibers and in turn my pull will be stronger. 

There are so many things to think about and I only have 8 weeks before my meet. 
Jennifer

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
what's up girl!

i feel you on your squat...so some quick fixes..

stretch your hells... ALOT

just don't sit BACK in the squat either...sit back and down and much as possible and THEN let your knees track forward SLIGHTLY along the path of your feet and that will break you over.

worked for me anyway. You can only sit back and down so much before falling over. Tracking forward with the knees lets you proceed down past parallel and then lead with your hips on the way up.  Make sure you go UP the same way you went DOWN. Too many people have an eccentric different from their concentric portion of the lift. Leading with your hips also maintains hamstring tension throughout the squat giving you solid drive.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »
Good to hear from you wicked!  I see you are still at it :)

Squats...first time in my suit...got to parrellel but not below, I still need that extra inch.  We are thinking about having my suit legs brought up 1/2 inch or so, we are going to try and pull it way up next week and see if that helps.

45 x 12
95 x 10
135 x 6
185 x 5
225 x 3
straps up
275 x 3 (all pretty high)
315 x 1 (disaster with the suit, trying to get to depth and no wraps)
with wraps
315 x 3
345 x 3
355 x 3

finished off with 3 sets of single leg press and 4 sets of lying leg curls

Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2009, 11:58:41 AM »
Deadlifting went pretty good this week...I used my squat suit which is loosening up just a bit because I am trying to diet and get down to the 132 class.  I was hoping that it would be a little easier then it was but I am still 7 weeks out so I have some time to work with the gear and hopefully pull a good number/

45 x 12
95 x 10
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 3
275 x 3
straps up
315 x 3
belt on
345 x 3
365 x 3

that last set I got all three but they were a bit shaky...definitely was a struggle....

One of the strange things that I am working with is not takinga  big breathe before I pull.  If my breathe is too big it is much harder to get to the bar so i am trying to go with a half breathe, with my set up I am sooo used to taking that huge breathe raw that I feel slightly off with the change.
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »
Had a great squat workout because I actually got to depth on nearly all my reps!  After taking slow steps when going up in weight we figured out that my belt was causing the bulk of the problem.  We found that the belt tightened up the suit so much that it would throw me off when descending.  We pulled the legs of my suit up and really tugged at the straps in the back before I tightened up my belt.  It worked...I am SUPER excited.

45 x 12
95 x 10
Put the straps up here to work with the suit
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 3
added the belt
275 x 3 a little high so made adjustments
added wraps
315 x 3
335 x 3
360 x 3

The lower weights this year are a bit of a min-fukc but I really feel I needed to relearn the squat so at the meet depth isn't a question.  The squats felt great...

Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
videos from my last 2 sets

Jennifer

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
Depth looked pretty good on those last squat videos.

I used to judge in the USAPL and i think you should be fine.

Squat form is looking really good as well.

Good luck!

8)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »
Tighten that suit up, those reps looked damn near dive-bombed.  I'd be surprised if you got 20lbs of carryover from it like that.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
Tighten that suit up, those reps looked damn near dive-bombed.  I'd be surprised if you got 20lbs of carryover from it like that.

lol, if I tightened it up there would be NO WAY i could get to depth...it is seriously hard as it is.  We have to pull the legs up and pull the straps so I have enough leeway to get down.  Maybe once I am comfortable hitting depth and doing it consistently but doubt that will happen this year.  Plus I have always been a fast squatter...especially in a 1-ply suit the rebound helps out, it is when you go with the thicker suits that the squat is more controlled (at least that is my understanding...)
Jennifer

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »
Where is that being held Jen?
:

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Hey Princess!  Here is a link to the site: http://www.wi-usapl.com/Entry%20forms/Milwaukee%20Open%20Entry.2010.pdf

It looks like it is near the airport at the Best Western...not sure if that is the host hotel or where the event is held.  Are you close?

Training this past week not so great, the dieting is frustrating because I am so hungry even though it isn't super strict.  Also I think I am training a bit too much, lifting 5 times a week.  I am cutting this back to 4 times and combining my shoulders and arms.  Benching tonight and tried to get in some good meals soooo we will see if that helps.

Jennifer

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
Hey Princess!  Here is a link to the site: http://www.wi-usapl.com/Entry%20forms/Milwaukee%20Open%20Entry.2010.pdf

It looks like it is near the airport at the Best Western...not sure if that is the host hotel or where the event is held.  Are you close?

Training this past week not so great, the dieting is frustrating because I am so hungry even though it isn't super strict.  Also I think I am training a bit too much, lifting 5 times a week.  I am cutting this back to 4 times and combining my shoulders and arms.  Benching tonight and tried to get in some good meals soooo we will see if that helps.

Jen,
Check your PM's
:

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Kick some ass this weekend!   8)

:)

The BEAST