Author Topic: Don't want big muscles? Lift heavy.  (Read 7164 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Don't want big muscles? Lift heavy.
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »
Need more info. Something really doesn't make sense and without seeing/reading what the study design was.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »
It's all about high intensity contractions and engourging the muscle with blood not to mention feeling the muscle do the work and not the joints.

How can the joints do the work?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »
"For example, research from Arizona State University showed that the greatest strength gains on collegiate athletes were made training with 85 percent of their 1 rep max. In addition, this training load did not increase muscle size"

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Or they fucked up somewhere.

exactly, i can think of 3 seperare meta studies that compare hundreds of studies on hypertrophy and strength and all the the exact oposite of this clown.  ::)
175lbs by 31st July

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:22 PM »
without steroids it's kinda hard to go for the freak look :D

people do it though, only makes a natural fat and delusional.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
I agree with this.

It's all about high intensity contractions and engourging the muscle with blood not to mention feeling the muscle do the work and not the joints. I occasionally train with an "IFBB Pro" who just recently went pro who suprisingly doesn't go as heavy as the impression his body would tell you.

Some of the best arms I've ever seen and he rarely uses a dumbbell heavier than 45lbs, 120 for incline presses and 8 plate a side for leg pressing. He constantly preaches that you must feel the muscle and only the target muscle doing the work. From what I understand he hasn't trained heavy in years and tells me he grew the most when he switched to a moderate weight for reps in the 10, 12 to 15 range.

- Block!

Block, not trying to be an ass, but your buddy is probably jacked to the gills AND more importantly is extremely genetically gifted.  He could probably curl a soup can and see growth....some people are just like that.   But for the avg joe, it just isn't going to happen.  Thats why you see so many guys in the gym, who even though they have been training for years, look exactly like they did 5 years ago.....they can tell you exactly how many reps, weight and sets they do for everything....they never truly push themselves. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »
Block, not trying to be an ass, but your buddy is probably jacked to the gills AND more importantly is extremely genetically gifted.  He could probably curl a soup can and see growth....some people are just like that.   But for the avg joe, it just isn't going to happen.  Thats why you see so many guys in the gym, who even though they have been training for years, look exactly like they did 5 years ago.....they can tell you exactly how many reps, weight and sets they do for everything....they never truly push themselves. 

they look the same because they never push themselves, not because they are training in the 8-12 rep range.

its common knowledge and established fact that using a weight in which you reach failure between 8-12 is the best amount of weight to use in order to grow muscles as big as possible.

heavy weights are absolutely necessary, however heavy weights within that rep range and while keeping all the tension and work on the target muscle. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »
they look the same because they never push themselves, not because they are training in the 8-12 rep range.

its common knowledge and established fact that using a weight in which you reach failure between 8-12 is the best amount of weight to use in order to grow muscles as big as possible.

heavy weights are absolutely necessary, however heavy weights within that rep range and while keeping all the tension and work on the target muscle. 

I agree with you on the rep range and not pushing themselves.  This "study" and thread makes it sound like you don't want to get too heavy, best to backoff and use higher reps.  I don't think that stimulates growth in most people.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 02:43:34 PM »
I agree with this.

It's all about high intensity contractions and engourging the muscle with blood not to mention feeling the muscle do the work and not the joints. I occasionally train with an "IFBB Pro" who just recently went pro who suprisingly doesn't go as heavy as the impression his body would tell you.

Some of the best arms I've ever seen and he rarely uses a dumbbell heavier than 45lbs, 120 for incline presses and 8 plate a side for leg pressing. He constantly preaches that you must feel the muscle and only the target muscle doing the work. From what I understand he hasn't trained heavy in years and tells me he grew the most when he switched to a moderate weight for reps in the 10, 12 to 15 range.

- Block!

Phil Heath? spill the beans

agreed...

1 stay in comfort zone = no progress
2 push yourself = heavy, but still in the 8-12 rep range with good form
3 push too much = too heavy less than 6 reps

you don't want to go too heavy and get problems, but you don't want to be a tiny tit and stay in the comfort zone either
tank u jesus

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
We could all agree that the best option is to use the full rep range from 1 to 15 because they all have benefits.

(Doing singles doesn't mean you use your 1 rep max! It can be anything under it.)

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
Someone should find the original study.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »
Strongmen don't have any muscle, because they go heavy... ahahah nor do powerlifters.... shitty article... People here are confuse about shredded muscle (bbing type) and bulked muscle (all the others strength athletes, even thoug we have examples like Pudzianowski that looses in mass only to Ruhl and Wolf...)
S

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »
Pudzianowski that looses in mass only to Ruhl and Wolf...)

Pudz uses BB training and moderate reps for that, always has.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »
No PDF of the article was available. There was a pretty good one on rotator cuff maintenance.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 05:47:44 PM »
Strongmen don't have any muscle, because they go heavy... ahahah nor do powerlifters.... shitty article... People here are confuse about shredded muscle (bbing type) and bulked muscle (all the others strength athletes, even thoug we have examples like Pudzianowski that looses in mass only to Ruhl and Wolf...)
pudzianowsi has a great physique but he doesnt compare to ifbb professionals....

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 06:17:19 PM »
Time to learn dipshits; 'Heavy and prolonged lifting causes joint and tendon damage!'

Lift within your genetic limit.  And yes, lift properly!  Slow on the positive, even slower on the negative.

Never, i repeat never, take advice from a Meathead as they are either a juicer or have limited pysiological understanding !

To many retarded drug addicts in this sport who are quick to dispel misinformation about lifting!

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »
Time to learn dipshits; 'Heavy and prolonged lifting causes joint and tendon damage!'

Lift within your genetic limit.  And yes, lift properly!  Slow on the positive, even slower on the negative.

Never, i repeat never, take advice from a Meathead as they are either a juicer or have limited pysiological understanding !

To many retarded drug addicts in this sport who are quick to dispel misinformation about lifting!
Well everybody is differant,Some people grow a particular bodypart by high reps,moderate weights,for others they get great results from heavy weights,lower reps

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »

Doesn't everyone know that already? Tendons can only grow about 5% in a year so being stronger probably accelerates wear. Also, bigger muscles have higher pre-load.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
I REECIEVE PMS Q ON THIS NO YOU DONT NEED TO LIFE HEAYI ON WEIGHT TO GET BIG,,,,,YOU NEED TO LIFT WITH FEELING MUSZLE ITSELF,,,,POWER LIFTER LIFT HEAVY NOT BIG VS,,,BODYBUILDER HIMSELF,,,,I TRAN MEANYLY GUYS WHO LIFT LIGHTAND ARE BIGGER THAN FELLAS WHO LIFT HEAVY WY YOU THINK ALL LITTLE GUYS LIFT HEAVY THEY THINK THEY CAN BE BIG BY TRYING TO LIFT HEAVIEST WEIGHT IN GYM TO SHOW OFF THEN THEY DONT GET BIG AT ALL THEY DO ONE REP,,,,THEN DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN THEY SMALL ALL YEAR WHILE ANOTHER GUY LIFT MODERATE WEIGHT AND GET BIG YEAR ROUND,,,

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »

slow on the positive , thats not a good idea.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
pick up something heavy: lift it 6 - 8 times. repeat. this isnt rocket surgery!

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »
As we know, Pro's aren't the smartest of people, that is why they choose to lift!

Again, train smart. You can actually make the so-called 'lighter weight' feel heavy through proper mechanics.  That's right, it all about the form; full reps and shorter breaks. Ramp up the intensity and 'not' the weight to see growth without injury.

And yes, never listen to the advice of a drug addicted, needle-shooting Pro.  They only grow because they are pharmaceutical cheats!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »
others they get great results from heavy weights,lower reps

Ya but those guys unless they are in the minority who never get injured will pay the price, when very likely they could do as well or better with higher reps.

pudzianowsi has a great physique but he doesnt compare to ifbb professionals....

Actually he has an awesome physique by almost any measure at around 6', 300 lb. including plenty of size. As i said his physique being superior to most strongmen is in part due to including BB training which he does seriously.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »

More like 'prolonged anything causes joint and tendon damage!'

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
I will break it down for you dumb-as-shit Retards.

Heavy curls= Destroyed elbow joint
Heavy shoulders and bench= Destroyed rotator cuffs
Heavy squats= Destroyed knees
Heavy deads= Destroyed lower backs

Now do you understand?  

F##king ignorant  and uneducated f##ktards!

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
I will break it down for you dumb-as-shit Retards.

Heavy curls= Destroyed elbow joint
Heavy shoulders and bench= Destroyed rotator cuffs
Heavy squats= Destroyed knees
Heavy deads= Destroyed lower backs

Now do you understand?  

F##king ignorant  and uneducated f##ktards!

What is "heavy"? Is 100 pounds heavy?