Author Topic: The Making of The Long Road to Compete 2005 -2007  (Read 753480 times)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: The Making of The Long Road to Compete 2005 -2007
« Reply #375 on: May 21, 2005, 11:16:58 AM »
thats p***y weight!

;D

what about dumbells?
lol.......my shins look as long as some shorter guys legs! (it sucks) dude im getting old..backing off the heavy weight 125 lb dumbell rows as heavy as i go

vikingpower

« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2005, 11:24:20 AM »
i can barely row 275 but i can rep out 130 dbl's till the cows come home

shame about the calves .... but its a tradeoff .... you shoulders are prolly twice as wide as most 5'8 bodybuilders!

Cheri Lane

« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2005, 05:39:49 PM »
mmmmmm....

nice legs baby.   :-*

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: May 24, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
Im bored...............

vikingpower

« Reply #379 on: May 24, 2005, 07:01:08 PM »
you got gyno surgery??

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2005, 07:05:34 PM »
you got gyno surgery??
   I wish.................... ..............

vikingpower

« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2005, 07:09:13 PM »
maybe its just the light ... but they look a bit leaner

on a completely unrelated note, i am no longer attracted to you ;D

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2005, 07:11:46 PM »
maybe its just the light ... but they look a bit leaner

on a completely unrelated note, i am no longer attracted to you ;D
lol...it wouldnt have anything to do with me busting my ass in the gym, and dieting and cardio by any chance??? ..............nawwwwww

240 or bust

« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2005, 07:18:54 PM »
lol...it wouldnt have anything to do with me busting my ass in the gym, and dieting and cardio by any chance??? ..............nawwwwww

how many days a week, for how long, on the cardio, Mike?

Also, what's your diet like?

Also, do I look better as a black man?

thanks.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2005, 07:42:45 PM »
I try to go 5 days outta the week to the gym (id prefer 6 but work gets in the way lol)...my split looks like MON) arms  TUES) chest WED) legs (quads hamstrings and calves) THURS) shoulders (traps) FRI) back ( i do abs after everyworkout 4 sets of 20 crunches) cardio 4- 5 times a week a half hour after training my diet has changed drastically............. ...5 - 6 solid food meals a day and 3 - 4 met-rx shakes inbetween ( i eat every 2 -3 hours hungry or not) i emphasize protien first ...its a high protien moderate carbs low fat diet, no junk(i dont keep it in the house so im not tempted) when i work i bring shakes with me, on the weekends me and laura (cheri) will have dangelos or some other sub (usually grilled chicken), but once inawhile we order chinese ( i am human lol) thats it...train hard, keep the diet clean, hit cardio see what happens................. ..peace  mike

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #385 on: May 24, 2005, 07:43:37 PM »
LOL..............yea u look better as a black man ;)

vikingpower

« Reply #386 on: May 24, 2005, 07:57:17 PM »

the diet and hard work shows up on your arms and midsection for sure .... but i dont think that gets rid of gyno which is why i asked if you had surgery cause it looked to have gotten better.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #387 on: May 24, 2005, 08:01:05 PM »
the diet and hard work shows up on your arms and midsection for sure .... but i dont think that gets rid of gyno which is why i asked if you had surgery cause it looked to have gotten better.

VP................laura says :P

vikingpower

« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2005, 08:24:53 PM »
give her a donkey punch for me ;D

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2005, 03:03:42 AM »

Yeah VP is right, but also.. when you get to a level of bf % that you are more than happy with you can really see how much gyno you really have, i have a feeling its alot less than you think, you just have some loose skin right thurr.

McCrackheads Back

• Getbig IV
  • Girl you know I miss you...
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2005, 04:49:07 AM »
I try to go 5 days outta the week to the gym (id prefer 6 but work gets in the way lol)...my split looks like MON) arms  TUES) chest WED) legs (quads hamstrings and calves) THURS) shoulders (traps) FRI) back ( i do abs after everyworkout 4 sets of 20 crunches) cardio 4- 5 times a week a half hour after training my diet has changed drastically............. ...5 - 6 solid food meals a day and 3 - 4 met-rx shakes inbetween ( i eat every 2 -3 hours hungry or not) i emphasize protien first ...its a high protien moderate carbs low fat diet, no junk(i dont keep it in the house so im not tempted) when i work i bring shakes with me, on the weekends me and laura (cheri) will have dangelos or some other sub (usually grilled chicken), but once inawhile we order chinese ( i am human lol) thats it...train hard, keep the diet clean, hit cardio see what happens................. ..peace  mike

Hey Mike, I dont mean to tell you how to suck eggs here, but starting the week with arms??

IMO, if you blast arms, how can u train upper body, in your case chest the next day? Your triceps will be by definition fatigued and give out in pressing movements. Only other thing is I reckon do calves at least twice and more like 3x a week. I'd also think about throwing in some hams again on shoulder day as well.

Other than that your split looks good IMO but beleive me, Im not alone on my arm training theory. Id actually finish the week with arms and start the next week with legs just to be safe.

Suggestion:
Mon - Quads, Hams, Calves
Tue - Chest & forearms
Wed - Back & Calves
Thurs - Delts (+ hams if you have time)
Friday - Tri's, Bi's, Brac's, forearms.

If you can only train 4 days in one week, stick delts in on chest day and scrap thurs workout.

Re cardio, agree with your approach -  an Aussie pro gave me the idea of adding 20-30min of cardio at the end a workout and Ive found it to be very effective, mostly because training more than once a day is impracticle if you have a job! Also, doing bike after training legs will speed up recovery time.

But you've made some good progress of late, so congrats.

PS: Not trying to sound like a know-it-all coz im not, just giving constructive feedback.

Cheri Lane

« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2005, 05:08:16 AM »
give her a donkey punch for me ;D

How about I give you a b***ch slap VP?   ;)

vikingpower

« Reply #392 on: May 25, 2005, 06:47:20 AM »
How about I give you a b***ch slap VP? ;)

you would probably break you hand on my "chizeled features" ;D

Cheri Lane

« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2005, 08:27:03 AM »
you would probably break you hand on my "chizeled features" ;D

::)

240 or bust

« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2005, 10:46:49 AM »
Hey Mike, I dont mean to tell you how to suck eggs here, but starting the week with arms??

Mike's arms are his best bodypart.
I bet if ya started the week with chest, when youre freshest, then your chest would improve fast. When I train arms, the biceps and triceps are sore the next day. I couldn't dream of doing chest the day AFTER triceps.  Just my opinion.

Also, you do shoulders the day BEFORE back-- and your shoulders are 2 years ahead of your back in development. Aren't your shoulders sore as you try to do thngs like rows the next day?

IMO your arms and shoulders are your best bodyparts because you do them fresh. If you had chest day and leg day, right after rest days, I bet they'd grow fast. Once your chest gets up to par and you drop another 10 pounds, you will have one of the better physiques here. -240

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2005, 11:48:50 AM »

IMO, if you blast arms, how can u train upper body, in your case chest the next day? Your triceps will be by definition fatigued and give out in pressing movements. Only other thing is I reckon do calves at least twice and more like 3x a week. I'd also think about throwing in some hams again on shoulder day as well.

Other than that your split looks good IMO but beleive me, Im not alone on my arm training theory. Id actually finish the week with arms and start the next week with legs just to be safe.

Suggestion:
Tue - Chest & forearms
Wed - Back & Calves
Friday - Tri's, Bi's, Brac's, forearms.

If you can only train 4 days in one week, stick delts in on chest day and scrap thurs workout.

Re cardio, agree with your approach -  an Aussie pro gave me the idea of adding 20-30min of cardio at the end a workout and Ive found it to be very effective, mostly because training more than once a day is impracticle if you have a job! Also, doing bike after training legs will speed up recovery time.

But you've made some good progress of late, so congrats.

PS: Not trying to sound like a know-it-all coz im not, just giving constructive feedback.
Hmmmmmm......sometimes i overthink things (overanalyze), so im just going to try this split  : Suggestion:
Tue - Chest & forearms
Wed - Back & Calves
Friday - Tri's, Bi's, Brac's, forearms.  ill let you guys know how its working and thanks..........mike

240 or bust

« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2005, 11:52:47 AM »
that's a good split.

also if you like hitting arms twice (who doesnt!?), you still can. Just do Chest AND tris and fores on tuesday, and Back AND biceps on wed.  then arms on friday too.

Or, do that, and move quad day to friday so you have the weekend to limp. This lets you do chest/tris on monday, back/bicseps on tue, shoulders on wed, arms on thurs, and legs on friday. I love this split. Given to me via email by John Defendis, a former Mr USA and personal trainer in palm beach. knew his stuff.
peace... i'm off to cisco training. -rob

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2005, 12:10:12 PM »
Funny you should mention John Defendis rob....i trained at his gym (world gym) it was only 5 mins from where i was living, nice guy came over to me asked if i wanted to compete,gave me a leg training routine(was that a hint lol)  wrote it out in his office, took him like 20 mins to write it out and explain it to me....he didnt have to do that

McCrackheads Back

• Getbig IV
  • Girl you know I miss you...
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2005, 12:15:22 PM »
that's a good split.

also if you like hitting arms twice (who doesnt!?), you still can. Just do Chest AND tris and fores on tuesday, and Back AND biceps on wed.  then arms on friday too.

Or, do that, and move quad day to friday so you have the weekend to limp. This lets you do chest/tris on monday, back/bicseps on tue, shoulders on wed, arms on thurs, and legs on friday. I love this split. Given to me via email by John Defendis, a former Mr USA and personal trainer in palm beach. knew his stuff.
peace... i'm off to cisco training. -rob

As you stated, Mike's arms are his best bodypart so I dont think he should train them more than his other bodyparts for now given that its balance that he mostly needs.

Good luck with the split Mike. Also, re chest, if you've been relying on benching, maybe try starting with heavy flyes and pullovers and finishing with a pressing action for a while and see how you respond. Also, your delts look very strong, so if you are relying on heavy benching then maybe your delts are doing a lot of the work. My chest went from being my worst bodypart as a teen to my best bodypart now when I was shown how to do pullovers properly - had a huge breakthrough after months of getting nowhere.

Also, since I started doing flyes as Arnold advocates doing them Ive gotten much better results - here is a good description here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_12_20/ai_98488428/pg_2

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2005, 12:22:30 PM »
EXERCISE 3: Flat Dumbbell Flyes

"Here is a great exercise to shape up the outer sections of the pectorals and that, when performed correctly, also opens up the rib box and helps to deepen the chest." A master of technique, Arnold perfected this difficult movement as no one else ever had. He often described the motion of the flye as "hugging a tree." Lying back on a flat bench, with arms slightly bent, he would take a huge breath and slowly lower

the dumbbells out and away from his torso, so low that they would practically touch-the floor. Then, with a mighty exhalation, he would raise them back through the same arc, all the time squeezing his pecs. What set Arnold's technique apart from that of nearly everyone else was his form at the top of the movement. As the tension on his pecs would begin to decrease near the movement's end, he would stop his motion, with the dumbbells remaining 10-12" apart. He realized that anything beyond that was wasted movement having no impact on his pecs. Nevertheless, by employing the Weider Peak Contraction Tr aining Principle, he would forcibly contract this pecs at this point before lowering the weights again. He would start with 65-pound dumbbells for, 15 reps, then jump to 75s for 12, followed by three sets of 10 with 85s. Each set of flyes would be superset with barbell rows.....
(A lot of good information in your last couple of posts Mcrackhead .........i appreciate it)_