Author Topic: Rest times between sets  (Read 89018 times)

tallandfat

• Getbig II
Re: Rest times between sets
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
anyoen die from trying to cut rest to 0?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
I count a slow 10, so maybe 45 seconds to a minute? Hit it hard and fast, and get out.

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
Take the guess work out and learn the three energy systems of the human body. That will help determine your rest times.

biggerthanuandu

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »
Take the guess work out and learn the three energy systems of the human body. That will help determine your rest times.

What are they? I have a feeling the central nervous system has something to do with it also.

I just hate sitting there looking around doing nothing. Some fuk is bound to start a conversation even looking at my earplugs in my ears.... Usually rest is as long as it takes to switch plates for me.
Biggy

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »
I go by feel..as soon as I catch my breath I go into the next set.

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
I ALWAYS REST 3 MINUTES BETWEEN HEAVY SETS AND AB0UT A MINUTE F0R IS0LATI0N.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
I ALWAYS REST 3 MINUTES BETWEEN HEAVY SETS AND AB0UT A MINUTE F0R IS0LATI0N.

Do you sit when you rest...or will your ASS BRUISE ?  :D ?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »
On light days, I rest about 1 minute between sets. On regular days, I rest between 90 seconds and 2 minutes between sets. The exception to this is when I am doing heavy leg presses and squats. Then I rest about 3 minutes or until my breathing returns to normal. What I hate is when someone engages me in conversation between sets and I lose count of how long I rested. Wearing my ipod shuffle helps keep folks from talking to me.  ;D

Right now I am resting for three weeks. I planned to take a week off, then I had a bunch of stuff get in the way of going to the gym and now my fucking back is out. Guess that's what I get for being lazy!  :-[ As per usual, I have lost about 5 lbs. It is going to take me a week or two to get back to were I was before this holiday.

ExCompetitor

• Getbig I
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »
What i have found is best:
2 minutes rest on compound movements.
30 seconds rest on Isolation movements.

HEAVYLIFT

• Getbig II

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
Hahaha seems like this "guru" has had way too much rest in his miserable existence, why not try actually working out?

2 weeks between sets?

Voland

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • when you go scat you never come back ;)
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 03:24:42 AM »
What i have found is best:
2 minutes rest on compound movements.
30 seconds rest on Isolation movements.

I do this.
Boundary Breaker

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
The common accepted theory of building and increasing lasting muscle mass is to accomplish the most work/effort in the shortest period of time. One overused example might be that short distance sprinters have larger and more muscular calves and legs than long distance runners.  Some researchers also suggest that sets of 3 reps, preformed at a quick pace, is all that is needed for strength and muscle size development.

Given that each of us have different responses to physical stress and recovery, it would pretty much be a question of what works for you and what doesn't.  General rule of thumb would be 90 seconds between sets and 3 minutes between exercises (if working the same body part). Doesn't seem to matter if doing a heavy compound movement or a lighter exercise, just keep a going pace during the training session.

Some BB'ers will take 45 seconds between sets. 30 seconds may be the extreme for short term special programs..or no rest between sets (or exercises) when on advanced programs like SS, tri, quad or giant sets. All a true TUT (Time Under Tension) protocol for working out.

Some of the old timers would take 10 to 15 minutes between sets. Usually when doing extreme heavy compound exercises. Three to 4 hour workouts were common, back in the day, but maybe 3 or 4 exercise in the total workout.

Again it pretty much all comes down to the "what works for you, works for you" thing. Just got to check different rest time schemes out for yourself. Like everything else in BB'ing or lifting. Good Luck.

F

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
X2......I believe in being fully rested before commencing the next set.

So does Lee Labrada!!! No need to rush into the next set.

Actually, no.  Lee Lebrada was a strong advocate of Reverse Pyramid training in the latter part of his career, with rest periods of 45 seconds to 1 minute max.  Light warmup, then move to heaviest weight for 8-10 reps, then decrease weight 10-15% each set.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »
For me, a 2 minute rest between sets when I am working a large muscle group, such as quads is about all I can stand. I am very impatient and therefore don't like standing around between sets. I never time myself between sets when the exercise isn't compound or otherwise taxing in some way. However, by the time one returns the weight to the weight stack and picks up the next weight they have effectively rested anyway. Even when doing heavy leg presses, by the time you load some more weight on the machine, you probably already rested up enough.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
I go by feel..as soon as I catch my breath I go into the next set.
yes i agree with this...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »
Actually, no.  Lee Lebrada was a strong advocate of Reverse Pyramid training in the latter part of his career, with rest periods of 45 seconds to 1 minute max.  Light warmup, then move to heaviest weight for 8-10 reps, then decrease weight 10-15% each set.
Pre contest he would rest 45 seconds to a minute.....but off season he would rest at least 2 minutes.

DD Holland

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
I agree with most responders here. I go by feel. Trying to time everything seem so ridig, I believe the body is your best cue.

bertl

• Getbig I
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
I usually like to mix up the rest periods.  Sometimes I'll do a superset with multiple exercises which means a quicker rest period, but with isolated or large muscle exercises I like to take at least a minute and a half rest.  I find that for me personally, if lifting becomes cardio due to lack of resting periods then you need more rest.

http://www.bodyathleticsblog.com

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 06:20:46 PM »
What is the ideal rest time between sets probably varies from person to person. Someone once advised me that the rest time is over as soon as your breathing returns to normal and your muscles begin to relax. Applying this principal, I rest anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. The longer rest time is mainly when doing either heavy leg presses and squats or doing these lighter with really high reps....like 25. My breathing is somewhat compromised, if I don't rest at least two minutes when doing these, I start getting a little light headed.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
anyoen die from trying to cut rest to 0?

Yes and now I speak to you from the grave.  ;D

No of course you won't die. What you might do however is compromise the quality of your workout.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »

M    Y     L     O    R    D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigboithetank

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »
Hahaha seems like this "guru" has had way too much rest in his miserable existence, why not try actually working out?

Don't worry man, he's just bulking. ;)

panos32

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
strong first post here...

oh yeah let me laugh a little more....if you are natural follow the super triple drop set and rest for 1 minute on the clock between sets it's gonna produce so much test and gh you are literally gonna mutate...

this type of propaganda bullshit is what utterly disgusts me in this very industry because its what causing delusional and unrealistic goals on teens and natural trainees, average joes etc and how gym folklore and rumors got started

fuck you all