Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
August 20, 2014, 03:36:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 286936 times)
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

View Profile
« Reply #5550 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:46 PM »

It is, but I love a tight waist as well, quite a dilemma Grin
ME TOO BRO,,THATS WHY ITS ONLY ONCE IN A WHILE,,LUCKY I HAVE A GOOD METABOLISM STILL Cheesy
Report to moderator   Logged

$
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: August 19, 2014, 02:06:18 PM »

Have any of you guys seen a guy who lifts with light weights who has a good build? I use to work with a guy who was a 6 foot tall natural who looked fantastic. Got compliments on is build everywhere he went. When ever I would see him train he always had something like 155 on the bar for benches. Seated cable rows with moderate weight. He said once the weight I use seems light until you train with me. I did notice he goes from set to set like a machine with very little rest. He said he use to train heavy but got better results training like this.

I know a guy who trained in the same gym as Chris Dickerson who said he trained the same way. He would do 6 sets of 10-12 reps but moved like a machine. On a good day he would use around 115 for press behind the neck. Seated rows with 160lbs. Never squatted over 225lbs. I suspect the same method of training. Making a light weight heavy by good form and very short rests between sets.

Any thoughts about this?
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

Where are my brave brothers and sisters?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5552 on: August 19, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »

Have any of you guys seen a guy who lifts with light weights who has a good build? I use to work with a guy who was a 6 foot tall natural who looked fantastic. Got compliments on is build everywhere he went. When ever I would see him train he always had something like 155 on the bar for benches. Seated cable rows with moderate weight. He said once the weight I use seems light until you train with me. I did notice he goes from set to set like a machine with very little rest. He said he use to train heavy but got better results training like this.

I know a guy who trained in the same gym as Chris Dickerson who said he trained the same way. He would do 6 sets of 10-12 reps but moved like a machine. On a good day he would use around 115 for press behind the neck. Seated rows with 160lbs. Never squatted over 225lbs. I suspect the same method of training. Making a light weight heavy by good form and very short rests between sets.

Any thoughts about this?

I'm not saying that I look fantastic (that's up to others, not me), but this is how my current regimen looks like. It's my goal to perform 35-40 sets within an hour. I make 10-15 deep breaths between sets and keep the number of exercises limited. I also stick to the same weight, so it becomes only a battle during the last 1-2 sets. By training this way, I feel less need for cardio work.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: August 19, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »

I'm not saying that I look fantastic (that's up to others, not me), but this is how my current regimen looks like. It's my goal to perform 35-40 sets within an hour. I make 10-15 deep breaths between sets and keep the number of exercises limited. I also stick to the same weight, so it becomes only a battle during the last 1-2 sets. By training this way, I feel less need for cardio work.

I just got a book by Steve Davis that says you should use about 45 sets an hour. So it's really interesting that your goal is very close at 40 sets. When I really think about East coast bodybuilding and West coast back in the 70's and 80's there were two different methods in general. East coast was about the weight and taking a lot of time in between sets. West coast it was about moderate weights and short rests between sets. You might be onto something about the fat burning of your type training. I have heard from many they get cut up when they stop max weights and all the loitering between sets to recover.

I have been too influenced by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer. I have always trained slow and heavy. Always trying to get to exhaustion in one or two sets. Every time I try training with fast volume it just doesn't feel right but I never truly give it it's due. I think it's time I dived in and used this method for awhile.
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: August 19, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »

i train 4 days and if time i do touch up all body pump workout'upper body'legs 1x is plenty for me plus my leg workouts are greuling..

mon.. chest/tri abs ..i train around 1:15 to 1:30 ,rest maybe 30 to 45  sec between sets with traing partner if alone less,i pyramid sets slightly little increments of added weight 'back/legs i can add much more on sets pyramid wise.i generally do 14-17 chest 5 exercises,tris 11-12 3 exercises

tues off

wed back/bi/abs,,back volume /heavy weights 'relative'moved,5 movements 15-17 sets inc hypers 18 then,bi's  3-4 exercises 9-11

thurs delt/calve/forarms   4-5 delt movements reps/reps/reps on delts 'pump them alot moderate weight,traps heavish but reps still no less than 10

fri off or pump day

sat legs usually if not sun legs and sat pump day if needed or able to do,,

leg day sometimes heavy or supersetted or giant sets lots of reps,,on avg 13 sets quads 6-7 hams and calves that day

i do 'zero'cardio...i have 3 small kids and work 10 hrs days lunch at my desk'strange set up i know'company frowns upon a lunch hr 'in car industry.so 4 full day hard training works good for me.

my diet simple and i enjoy food and not'only standard bbing foods'but still keep in check/portions /quality of protein/fats ,,i play with carbs good and bad depending on wanted condition/look..usually now i stay ripped 'no real offseason'if u don't compete there is no off season..

hope you read or just ignore no hard feelings Grin

$
The Scott
Getbig IV

Give us this day, our daily oyster...

View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: August 19, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »

Sore. 

I have to give up some blood tomorrow for tests.  Several tubes if its like it usually is. Yippee.  As always, very inspirational posts here lads and I do appreciate them!  When I train light I do the old giant sets stuff and knock out about 50 or so sets in an hour.

Of course all my training is ridiculously light now.  Dammit.  Grin  Keep up the good work!
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: August 19, 2014, 11:11:16 PM »

You all are an inspiration. It is great to read how each of you organize your workouts. I've discovered there are mostly just small differences in our routines.

I have not bothered to count the total number of sets I do on any given day. My routine lasts about as long in total as most of yours does. Like was mentioned, if you keep a good pace going, you don't need added cardiovascular work.

I am in Uettingen visiting my son and his family. Twenty six years ago, when I first visited I weighed the same as I do now....190 lbs. I am a little bit shorter now. My diet must be on target. Germans eat meat and cheese for breakfast. Guess they like to kick start protein intake.
DroppingPlates
Getbig V

Where are my brave brothers and sisters?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5557 on: Today at 02:20:10 AM »

I just got a book by Steve Davis that says you should use about 45 sets an hour. So it's really interesting that your goal is very close at 40 sets. When I really think about East coast bodybuilding and West coast back in the 70's and 80's there were two different methods in general. East coast was about the weight and taking a lot of time in between sets. West coast it was about moderate weights and short rests between sets. You might be onto something about the fat burning of your type training. I have heard from many they get cut up when they stop max weights and all the loitering between sets to recover.

I have been too influenced by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer. I have always trained slow and heavy. Always trying to get to exhaustion in one or two sets. Every time I try training with fast volume it just doesn't feel right but I never truly give it it's due. I think it's time I dived in and used this method for awhile.

Interesting historical background, I didn't knew that. 45 sets is an ambitious goal, esp when you include a decent warm up (and when buddies greet you all the time or ask for a spot Wink )
It was my trainer, a formal champ with 40+ years of experience, who brought me on this high volume/short rest path.

I've been influenced by heavy duty as well and I believe that going to failure can bring you a step further, BUT... it's also pretty taxing on your joints & CNS, so I believe that you need to apply some kind of periodisation.
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5558 on: Today at 02:23:30 AM »

Sore. 

I have to give up some blood tomorrow for tests.  Several tubes if its like it usually is. Yippee.  As always, very inspirational posts here lads and I do appreciate them!  When I train light I do the old giant sets stuff and knock out about 50 or so sets in an hour.

Of course all my training is ridiculously light now.  Dammit.  Grin  Keep up the good work!
the Scott you are a wellcome Poster on here...Hope all goes well  Wink
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5559 on: Today at 02:32:18 AM »

Oldtimer mentioned Steve Davis. Did some great interviews on Rics Corner
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhowKKrqHgE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhowKKrqHgE</a>
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: Today at 05:16:37 AM »

Oldtimer mentioned Steve Davis. Did some great interviews on Rics Corner
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhowKKrqHgE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhowKKrqHgE</a>
he had a cool build when he learned to diet/train right..

$
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5561 on: Today at 05:31:24 AM »

yes he built a very nice physique, the metamorphis was astounding when you compare the pictures from his early Days to later on. Comes over as a very cool Dude.. Grin
njflex
Competitors
Getbig V

team guido

View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: Today at 09:14:18 AM »

yes he built a very nice physique, the metamorphis was astounding when you compare the pictures from his early Days to later on. Comes over as a very cool Dude.. Grin
I LIKE HIS SHAPE/LOOK..THATS WHAT I TRY TO DO ,STAY LEAN AND ADD LITTLE CHANGES IF POSSIBLE TO GET LOOK OR MAINTAIN.

$
Donny
Competitors II
Getbig V

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5563 on: Today at 09:18:37 AM »

I LIKE HIS SHAPE/LOOK..THATS WHAT I TRY TO DO ,STAY LEAN AND ADD LITTLE CHANGES IF POSSIBLE TO GET LOOK OR MAINTAIN.
staying lean all year round is the way to go.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: Today at 02:53:54 PM »

i train 4 days and if time i do touch up all body pump workout'upper body'legs 1x is plenty for me plus my leg workouts are greuling..

mon.. chest/tri abs ..i train around 1:15 to 1:30 ,rest maybe 30 to 45  sec between sets with traing partner if alone less,i pyramid sets slightly little increments of added weight 'back/legs i can add much more on sets pyramid wise.i generally do 14-17 chest 5 exercises,tris 11-12 3 exercises

tues off

wed back/bi/abs,,back volume /heavy weights 'relative'moved,5 movements 15-17 sets inc hypers 18 then,bi's  3-4 exercises 9-11

thurs delt/calve/forarms   4-5 delt movements reps/reps/reps on delts 'pump them alot moderate weight,traps heavish but reps still no less than 10

fri off or pump day

sat legs usually if not sun legs and sat pump day if needed or able to do,,

leg day sometimes heavy or supersetted or giant sets lots of reps,,on avg 13 sets quads 6-7 hams and calves that day

i do 'zero'cardio...i have 3 small kids and work 10 hrs days lunch at my desk'strange set up i know'company frowns upon a lunch hr 'in car industry.so 4 full day hard training works good for me.

my diet simple and i enjoy food and not'only standard bbing foods'but still keep in check/portions /quality of protein/fats ,,i play with carbs good and bad depending on wanted condition/look..usually now i stay ripped 'no real offseason'if u don't compete there is no off season..

hope you read or just ignore no hard feelings Grin

I read it. I love to hear what guys who actually train have to say.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!