Author Topic: Good tri Excersise  (Read 9823 times)

Mesomorph79

• Getbig I
Re: Good tri Excersise
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
Nothing beats close grip bench presses for overall tricep development. 
"Fitness for Life"

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »
I am limited with what I can do right now for tri's because of my elbows killing and it sucks.  I normally do close-grips with the Olympic bar, overhead dumbell extensions, pushdowns and dips.  The first two are out for the moment, they hurt the elbows too much.  Any form of extension, yeah right.  Pushdowns I can kind of do with wide elbows and not complete lockout and dips aren't too bad, surprisingly.  I just wish there was a way to do the heavy duty exercises without effecting the tendons.  Not physically possible of course..

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 05:40:04 AM »
I just wish there was a way to do the heavy duty exercises without effecting the tendons.  Not physically possible of course..

There are, once you experiment and find the nuances. You need to try different grips that are easier on the body, avoid straight bars for example and keep the reps higher. Once you put the time in you'll be able to find some form of each exercise, assuming you first rest and let the areas recover back to normal.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 09:29:37 AM »
True heavy duty exercises will require tendon/ligament/joint involvement, of course. But there are way's to make 10lbs feel like a lot more. Actually bi-passing the extreme tension felt on those tendons/ligaments/joints. And having the muscle it's self handle the bulk of the work.

A few come to mind. The old One and One Half system. Excellent for muscle size and more joint friendly due to the much lighter weight used. As are 21's, another effective scheme that does not require a lot of weight. As for an exercise, the Bent arm pullovers (BB/DB) is  very good. As are Push Backs/Push Off's. Great advantage here because the shifting of bwt, as you are doing this exercise, can make the resistance feel like 10 to 100+lbs.  KickBacks, as offered by Mass04, are good. Though I might suggest  using DB's because of the grip advantage obtained.

A proper hand grip can be important, but just as important is the elbow placement in most any exercise.  Elbow position can added unwanted stress, or reduce it greatly, on the movement of a joint.

If still having problems with the elbows, even with the lightest weight, than take 2 or 3 weeks away from the cause of the problem. To my way of thinking, direct extension exercises (overhead/lying) are not needed and may cause more trouble than they are worth for most men. Personal view...that's all...compound movements can be most effective for tricep mass in the long run. Exception might be tricep pushdowns or tricep pressdowns. Good Luck.
F

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »
Pullover & press + Dips  =  huge Triceps...

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
I dunno dips seem to hit my delta and chest a lot more than they hit my tris
choice is an illusion

bigjoered

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 07:20:22 AM »
Agree you don't see that hardly anymore but many of the oldtimers in my gym swear by these and also wide grip barbell pullovers.  Everybody uses cables and machines these days.  I personally use kickbacks in conjunction with seated dips with plates loaded on my thighs.  This gives me a killer pump!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
I dunno dips seem to hit my delta and chest a lot more than they hit my tris

How are you leaning? Fwd, or are you straight up and down...And how are doing with the palms facing inward dips?

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »
i dont lean foward....
i use all kind of hand variations
knuckles facing each other... knuckles facing fowards or standard grip..
the standard grip above the rest hits my chest a lot more than tris...
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
i dont lean foward....

Standard dips are generally better for chest than tris, unless you learn exactly how to do them to emphasize tris. I've always said that the best form of dips for tris are either bench dips (Fox) or dip machine (Dillet). In these versions the movement's easily as good or better than close grip bench presses; i prefer them. Regular dips work for some on tris but just like close-grips do nothing for others, unless done in a specific manner that isolates the tris better-something like doing chins or bench presses in a specific way rather than in the usual way, it hits the muscles better when done a little differently than the norm.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:43 PM »
How are you leaning? Fwd, or are you straight up and down...And how are doing with the palms facing inward dips?

Exactly; if dips aren't done in a specific way you don't get the mind-muscle combination and it doesn't work that well for tris.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 01:45:01 AM »
i dont lean foward....

Thought you might like this

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 08:58:24 AM »
Standard dips are generally better for chest than tris, unless you learn exactly how to do them to emphasize tris. I've always said that the best form of dips for tris are either bench dips (Fox) or dip machine (Dillet). In these versions the movement's easily as good or better than close grip bench presses; i prefer them. Regular dips work for some on tris but just like close-grips do nothing for others, unless done in a specific manner that isolates the tris better-something like doing chins or bench presses in a specific way rather than in the usual way, it hits the muscles better when done a little differently than the norm.
i also like the dip machine for tris.......on a side note......I receive a tremendous pump in the chest and tris when using the dip machine. I lean forward slightly and get a great pump in both bodyparts........regardi ng close grips.....I get a crazy pump in my tris but seem to get my inner pecs worked sensationally as well. Both movements are outstanding!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
Thought you might like this

Those guys are both examples of BBs who have just standard knowledge and never did much out of the ordinary in terms of techniques-which didn't matter much considering their development, given genetics and hard work. In the following video Coe who is much older and more experienced and IMO more well thought-out and a student of training who trains smarter. Guys like Levrone, Ray and DeMayo don't strike me as particularly intelligent and IMO are textbook examples of BBs who don't provide much insights on training beyond the very standard stuff.

Did it make a difference you might ask..i would say that the little nuances those other guys missed likely made a difference in maximizing potential, but guys like that had great genetics that would benefit even without doing the best possible exercises. IMO those guys excepting Coe probably hadn't experimented much and didn't know the differences slight variations can provide.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2009, 05:12:23 AM »
both kevin and shawn have amazing tris reverse grip pressdowns never really did anything for me...
choice is an illusion

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 06:35:02 AM »
Anytime I change my tricep workout I always end up coming back to cable pushdowns, skullcrushers, dips.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
Flex Wheeler vs. Phil Heath

2 Flex Wheeler vids showing him doing arms, notice the similarities with the Phil Heath vids...

both do tricep machine dips
Flex

Phil

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
flex looks better.....
choice is an illusion

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 02:04:22 AM »
flex looks better.....

;). I looked his Hardbody DVD--arms chapter, before I did tris....Holy Hell, I had a pump...when I get my size up I will post pics...a couple of months

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »
I read about these in md mike libertore does them and experimented with them today
awesome..... movement
lying one arm tri extensions 
which essentially is like skullcrushers but done with one arm at a time dumbell going behind the head
great excersise definetley will keep that in my line up
anybody ever try these?

i hate any one arm excersise,.. i prefer 2 arms together in all movements, this saves time and also helps more to build symmetry between both sides..

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2009, 06:25:18 AM »
to be fair i prefer 2 arm movements ... but that one arm lying extension felt goof

the one arm seated overhead kills my elbows.. so i find the lying extension an alternative..
choice is an illusion

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 09:13:45 PM »
to be fair i prefer 2 arm movements ... but that one arm lying extension felt goof

the one arm seated overhead kills my elbows.. so i find the lying extension an alternative..

Here is a variation that I haven't seen before...go to 2:00 in the video

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 12:37:24 AM »
Thats the excersise Im talking about....

great post
strong guy too
more inspirational video to watch that 90% of pro bbing videos he is strong and moving weights...
not making excuses .. oh its a low carb day

choice is an illusion

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 04:07:35 AM »

I have a miniature set of these. Trying to suspend yourself with your legs straight out is not an easy feat.

It kills the abs and especially the triceps. I also have the C-clips for the ground. They were originally intended for chest pressing with a greater range of motion.

You can also position them so that you have on at each side, sit on the ground, and then lift and suspend your body with your legs pointing straight ahead.

Kills them tripuppies. (If you can manage to lift your ass offa the ground)

Trulyhuge

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »
Nothing better than close grip bench presses and weighted dips imo.
Troponin Trainer