Author Topic: More Liberal Censorship  (Read 181429 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: More Liberal Censorship
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
They make a huge difference.  

So back to my point about political bias in the military:

-  Conservative bias influences promotions

My supporting facts to my point:

-  The military is dominated by conservatives (just as possibly the university system is by liberals)
-  Liberals are demonized and ridiculed in the military in it's culture and in subtle ways

Your supporting facts to my point:

Reviews by superiors make a huge difference in promotions

Main argument relating to thread:

The same unfair type censorship (political discrimination) via promotions happens in reverse in other tax funded organizations such as the military, why aren't you complaining about it?

relating questions:

Whats the size difference in people of Teaching/Administration staff in state universities versus e-5 to e-9 and O-1 to 4 star generals in the 4 branches of service?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »
So back to my point about political bias in the military:

-  Conservative bias influences promotions

My supporting facts to my point:

-  The military is dominated by conservatives (just as possibly the university system is by liberals)
-  Liberals are demonized and ridiculed in the military in it's culture and in subtle ways

Your supporting facts to my point:

Reviews by superiors make a huge difference in promotions

Main argument relating to thread:

The same unfair type censorship (political discrimination) via promotions happens in reverse in other tax funded organizations such as the military, why aren't you complaining about it?

relating questions:

Whats the size difference in people of Teaching/Administration staff in state universities versus e-5 to e-9 and O-1 to 4 star generals in the 4 branches of service?

Overall, I don't think this is a good comparison.  The academic environment is all about "the marketplace of ideas."  Expression, opinion, dissent, etc. are encouraged.  At least in theory.  The military is the polar opposite.  There is all kinds of censorship.  You have a chain of command.  You don't disrespect your superiors, or risk going to jail.  If you're active duty, you don't make disparaging comments about the president.  There are strict rules regarding engaging in political activities.  It's really night and day. 

I have no complaints about censorship in the military because it's what people signed up for when they joined.  That's not true of universities. 

Regarding demonization, I never saw that when I served.  I've been around active duty service members for years and haven't seen it.  One of my closest friends is a liberal and he's a rising star in the Army.  He's getting promoted to major this year. 

I don't know what the size difference is between senior officers and enlisted, and university professors. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 04:40:13 PM »
Overall, I don't think this is a good comparison.  The academic environment is all about "the marketplace of ideas."  Expression, opinion, dissent, etc. are encouraged.  At least in theory.  The military is the polar opposite.  There is all kinds of censorship.  You have a chain of command.  You don't disrespect your superiors, or risk going to jail.  If you're active duty, you don't make disparaging comments about the president.  There are strict rules regarding engaging in political activities.  It's really night and day. 

I have no complaints about censorship in the military because it's what people signed up for when they joined.  That's not true of universities. 

Regarding demonization, I never saw that when I served.  I've been around active duty service members for years and haven't seen it.  One of my closest friends is a liberal and he's a rising star in the Army.  He's getting promoted to major this year. 

I don't know what the size difference is between senior officers and enlisted, and university professors. 

I have a few close friends in the military and working in the defense industry at high levels who cited many examples of conservative bias and liberal demonization and they are for the most part conservatives themselves.  Much of it subtle and much of it in casual conversation and some of it the "old boys club" mentality that seeps into things like reviews.   I agree that there is no place for dissension in our military and really don't have too much of a problem of it being dominated by conservatives, however, to say there isn't an existing bias that makes it harder for outward liberal is fantasy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
I have a few close friends in the military and working in the defense industry at high levels who cited many examples of conservative bias and liberal demonization and they are for the most part conservatives themselves.  Much of it subtle and much of it in casual conversation and some of it the "old boys club" mentality that seeps into things like reviews.   I agree that there is no place for dissension in our military and really don't have too much of a problem of it being dominated by conservatives, however, to say there isn't an existing bias that makes it harder for outward liberal is fantasy.

Well I guess I live in fantasy land.   :)  I have a hard time believing conservative bias in the military prevents liberals from getting promoted.  I'll talk to my friend about it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »
Well you do live in Hawaii  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
Well you do live in Hawaii  ;D

Yes I do.   ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »

And 90 percent of the msm is staffed by libs.   Dontsee you upset over that? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
And 90 percent of the msm is staffed by libs.   Dontsee you upset over that? 
Try and keep up.   ;) :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
What does loco call Canada?  America's retarded little brother?  Even they engage in liberal censorship. 

School Says “Jesus” Shirt is Hate Speech
May 4, 2012
By Todd Starnes

A Canadian high school student was suspended for a week because wore a t-shirt promoting his Christian beliefs and he was told if he wears it again – he could be suspended for the remainder of the school year.

William Swinimer, a student at Forest Heights Community School in Nova Scotia, was punished for wearing a shirt that read, “Life is wasted without Jesus.” The shirt is a reference to a passage of Scripture from the New Testament.

Swinimer told Fox News that he was told the shirt was a form of “hate talk.”

“I’ve been told by my principal that it is hate talk and is disrespectful to other people’s religions,” Swinimer said. “She said it (the shirt) cannot be in school because people would get offended.”

Nancy Pynch-Worthylake, the school board superintendent, told The Canadian Press that the wording on the shirt is “problematic.”

“If I have an expression that says, ‘My life is enhanced with Jesus,’ then there’s no issue with that, everybody is able to quickly understand that that’s my opinion about my own belief,” she told the newspaper. “If the shirt were to say, ‘Without Jesus, your life is a complete waste,’ then that’s clear that it is an opinion aimed at somebody else’s belief.”

Swinimer confirmed that he had been disciplined a number of times for wearing shirts with religious references.

“I’ve found that they have dissed Christianity quite a bit,” he said. “I do not want to be disrespectful of anybody else’s religions. I don’t want to put down anybody’s opinions. All I want to do is stand up for rights and freedoms of Canadians.”

The school does not have a dress code and Swinimer said students wear a variety of t-shirts. But he said for whatever reason, his Christian shirts seem to get him sent to the office.
“They treat other religions differently than they do Christianity,” he said. “The staff and principal and school board have been very hostile toward Christianity.”

But, he said, they promote other religions in the school.

“If they can pick on Christians in this school, what can they pick next?” he wondered. “Christianity in that school is not being treated the same way. I’m being discriminated against because of my religion.”

Swinimer attends Jesus the Good Shepherd Church, a Pentecostal congregation in Nova Scotia. Pastor Varrick Day told Fox News he is proud of his young parishioner.

“I’m very proud he’s standing up,” Day said. “I think he’s being bullied by the staff at the school and by the school board.”

Day called the suspension outrageous and said he hoped it would awaken other Christians across the nation.

“It’s not about the t-shirt,” he said. “This is what our forefathers fought and died for – this freedom of speech and religion.”

School officials told Swinimer that if he returned to school wearing the shirt, he would be suspended for the remainder of the school year.

“I plan to wear that t-shirt Monday, he said. “Not because I want to be disrespectful, not because I want to defy anybody, but because I believe this is the right thing to do.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-says-jesus-shirt-is-hate-speech.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2012, 10:19:26 AM »
What does loco call Canada?  America's retarded little brother?  Even they engage in liberal censorship. 

School Says “Jesus” Shirt is Hate Speech
May 4, 2012
By Todd Starnes

A Canadian high school student was suspended for a week because wore a t-shirt promoting his Christian beliefs and he was told if he wears it again – he could be suspended for the remainder of the school year.

William Swinimer, a student at Forest Heights Community School in Nova Scotia, was punished for wearing a shirt that read, “Life is wasted without Jesus.” The shirt is a reference to a passage of Scripture from the New Testament.

Swinimer told Fox News that he was told the shirt was a form of “hate talk.”

“I’ve been told by my principal that it is hate talk and is disrespectful to other people’s religions,” Swinimer said. “She said it (the shirt) cannot be in school because people would get offended.”

Nancy Pynch-Worthylake, the school board superintendent, told The Canadian Press that the wording on the shirt is “problematic.”

“If I have an expression that says, ‘My life is enhanced with Jesus,’ then there’s no issue with that, everybody is able to quickly understand that that’s my opinion about my own belief,” she told the newspaper. “If the shirt were to say, ‘Without Jesus, your life is a complete waste,’ then that’s clear that it is an opinion aimed at somebody else’s belief.”

Swinimer confirmed that he had been disciplined a number of times for wearing shirts with religious references.

“I’ve found that they have dissed Christianity quite a bit,” he said. “I do not want to be disrespectful of anybody else’s religions. I don’t want to put down anybody’s opinions. All I want to do is stand up for rights and freedoms of Canadians.”

The school does not have a dress code and Swinimer said students wear a variety of t-shirts. But he said for whatever reason, his Christian shirts seem to get him sent to the office.
“They treat other religions differently than they do Christianity,” he said. “The staff and principal and school board have been very hostile toward Christianity.”

But, he said, they promote other religions in the school.

“If they can pick on Christians in this school, what can they pick next?” he wondered. “Christianity in that school is not being treated the same way. I’m being discriminated against because of my religion.”

Swinimer attends Jesus the Good Shepherd Church, a Pentecostal congregation in Nova Scotia. Pastor Varrick Day told Fox News he is proud of his young parishioner.

“I’m very proud he’s standing up,” Day said. “I think he’s being bullied by the staff at the school and by the school board.”

Day called the suspension outrageous and said he hoped it would awaken other Christians across the nation.

“It’s not about the t-shirt,” he said. “This is what our forefathers fought and died for – this freedom of speech and religion.”

School officials told Swinimer that if he returned to school wearing the shirt, he would be suspended for the remainder of the school year.

“I plan to wear that t-shirt Monday, he said. “Not because I want to be disrespectful, not because I want to defy anybody, but because I believe this is the right thing to do.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-says-jesus-shirt-is-hate-speech.html

typical tone deaf fundie who can't understand that his shirt is implicitly disrespectful of anyone who doesn't share his religious belief

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
typical tone deaf fundie who can't understand that his shirt is implicitly disrespectful of anyone who doesn't share his religious belief
I am an atheist and think he should be able to wear whatever shirt he wishes without suspension.  That is just ridiculous. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
 :)

Your a friggin commie panzie ass. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
I am an atheist and think he should be able to wear whatever shirt he wishes without suspension.  That is just ridiculous. 

personally I couldn't give a rats ass either but I'm sure same fundie who started this thread would have a problem if a kid was walking around with a shirt dissing christians or christian beliefs

also, the school has a right to restrict students actions if they feel those actions would potentially cause problems

this kid can wear any shirt he wants when he is not in school

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
:)Your a friggin commie panzie ass. 

kind of funny you calling me a pansy considering how you wilted when suddenly faced with one of the thugs you rant about on a daily basis

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
personally I couldn't give a rats ass either but I'm sure same fundie who started this thread would have a problem if a kid was walking around with a shirt dissing christians or christian beliefs

also, the school has a right to restrict students actions if they feel those actions would potentially cause problems

this kid can wear any shirt he wants when he is not in school
What kind of problem would that shirt potentially cause and who would cause the problem?  Can you give me a hypothetical?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
What kind of problem would that shirt potentially cause and who would cause the problem?  Can you give me a hypothetical?

you really can't figure it out?

how about anyone who doesn't share that particular religious belief (and I'm not talking about atheists)

you don't think the school administrators have a right to object to language that could be easily interpretted as inflammatory

I'm sure you're aware that there are many things you can do outside of school that you can't do in school and restrictions on how you dress are ubiquitous

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
you really can't figure it out?

how about anyone who doesn't share that particular religious belief (and I'm not talking about atheists)

you don't think the school administrators have a right to object to language that could be easily interpretted as inflammatory

I'm sure you're aware that there are many things you can do outside of school that you can't do in school and restrictions on how you dress are ubiquitous

I really can`t figure out how that shirt would offend anybody.  ???

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
I really can`t figure out how that shirt would offend anybody.  ???

X2

Don't hold your breath waiting for an example of how it could offend someone though.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
X2
Don't hold your breath waiting for an example of how it could offend someone though.

I already gave an example

you're right though, no one should be offended if someone is wearing a tshirt saying you're wasting your life unless you're a christian

I can't see how jews, muslims, hindu's would potentially be offended by that

I'm sure Christians wouldn't be offended to see someone wearing a shirt saying Jesus sucks and Christians are idiots

I can't imagine perceived insults to someone's religious beliefs causing any problems

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »

you're right though, no one should be offended if someone is wearing a tshirt saying you're wasting your life unless you're a christian

I'm sure Christians wouldn't be offended to see someone wearing a shirt saying Jesus sucks and Christians are idiots

I can't imagine perceived insults to someone's religious beliefs causing any problems

Why should we care if anyone is offended or not?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
Why should we care if anyone is offended or not?

you shouldn't but if you ran a school then you might

it's not like people of different religious beliefs ever get offended at perceived insults and get potentially violent

certainly never happened in the history of the human race as far as I can recall

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
you shouldn't but if you ran a school then you might

it's not like people of different religious beliefs ever get offended at perceived insults and get potentially violent

certainly never happened in the history of the human race as far as I can recall
The more that happens, the more people will realize how absurd religion is.  Let it happen.  Furthermore, I hope they are offended.  That simply means they feel inadequate because their beliefs are indefensible nonsense.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
The more that happens, the more people will realize how absurd religion is.  Let it happen.  Furthermore, I hope they are offended.  That simply means they feel inadequate because their beliefs are indefensible nonsense.

I have no problem with any of that but I can understand why a school administrator would not want to make their school the place for such an event

forget about the religious context for a moment and think about the setting

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

Knock of the childish stupidity.  The shirt said nothing of the sort and hurled no insults at anyone.  ::)

You can't provide an example because there's nothing offensive about it.

And that's why you have to devolve to childish nonsense.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »

Knock of the childish stupidity.  The shirt said nothing of the sort and hurled no insults at anyone.  ::)

You can't provide an example because there's nothing offensive about it.

And that's why you have to devolve to childish nonsense.

I agree, no one should be offended because someone wears a t-shirt saying your life is a waste if you don't believe in Jesus

I can't imagine why anyone would be offended by that

I also can't imagine why a school adminstrator would care some of it's students offended or it might potentially cause problems between students

who gives a shit

it's not like it's their job to worry about stuff like that