Author Topic: Buffalo Bills have the dumbest player in the NFL.  (Read 20781 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: Buffalo Bills have the dumbest player in the NFL.
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 08:11:05 AM »
Don't forget that Chick knows everything   ::)

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
Exactly.  Well put Mon

100 % agree here...ANYONE can take a knee and he was right to return it, you cannot give Brady and Co. ANY time to come back, even if its 80 yds.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »
Chick is right.  If any of you calling people monday morning quarterbacks knew shitall about football, or had ever actually played (not talking about when you blew out your knee in peewee or you woulda had a scholarship  ::) ) you would know that the right play is to take a knee if you are backpedaling in the endzone when you catch the ball.  And to the genius who said "it's not his job to take a knee" bullshit....sometimes it is, just like a punt returner's job is to sometimes call a fair catch, sometimes the best throw a QB makes is to throw the ball away, etc...

I won't even go into the fumble, as that is a separate issue and even if he hadn't fumbled, the correct play was to field the ball and take a knee. 

Thread over.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »
Chick is right.  If any of you calling people monday morning quarterbacks knew shitall about football, or had ever actually played (not talking about when you blew out your knee in peewee or you woulda had a scholarship  ::) ) you would know that the right play is to take a knee if you are backpedaling in the endzone when you catch the ball.  And to the genius who said "it's not his job to take a knee" bullshit....sometimes it is, just like a punt returner's job is to sometimes call a fair catch, sometimes the best throw a QB makes is to throw the ball away, etc...

I won't even go into the fumble, as that is a separate issue and even if he hadn't fumbled, the correct play was to field the ball and take a knee. 

Thread over.

HAHAHA.  Easy to call it a bad play because he fumbled, but if he ran it to the twenty and got tackled then no one gives a shit and it is the right play.  Give me a break.  Easy to call any play bad after the fact.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
HAHAHA.  Easy to call it a bad play because he fumbled, but if he ran it to the twenty and got tackled then no one gives a shit and it is the right play.  Give me a break.  Easy to call any play bad after the fact.

Can you actually read? 

"I won't even go into the fumble, as that is a separate issue and even if he hadn't fumbled, the correct play was to field the ball and take a knee."

If you think otherwise, it only shows your lack of understanding of football.  That is ok ....the world needs tap dancers too.  8)

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
Anybody watch that idiot bring it out of the endzone?  Unreal.  Sub-50 IQ for sure.
what stupid about it? now in hindsight your saying it was a dumb decision, but its not the decision that was dumb, its the guy not protecting the ball well enough that was dumb. A KR is supposed to return kicks, not take knees no matter what the circumstances, He wasnt an idiot for deciding to run it out of the end zone, he just shouldve protected the ball good

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »
what stupid about it? now in hindsight your saying it was a dumb decision, but its not the decision that was dumb, its the guy not protecting the ball well enough that was dumb. A KR is supposed to return kicks, not take knees no matter what the circumstances, He wasnt an idiot for deciding to run it out of the end zone, he just shouldve protected the ball good

It's not always his job to not take a knee.....do you really think that?  So if the ball is 8 yds deep into the endzone he is supposed to run it out?  Better tell that to ALL the return men in the league.  And besides that it has more to do with the situation.....hands team, with lead, backpedaling = take a knee.

See if you hear one single football analyst defend him with the argument you guys are trying. I'm actually beginning to wonder if any of you guys actually watch, or have played football, or are just yanking my chain.  It's such a basic thing.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Showstoppa:  You're wrong on this dude.  Sorry.   

Chick?  Where'd you go?   :-[

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
Showstoppa:  You're wrong on this dude.  Sorry.   

Chick?  Where'd you go?   :-[

Nope.  Like I said, find any football analyst/coach/expert/player/waterboy/cheerleader, who agrees with you guys that a kick returner should NEVER take a knee, and then I will agree with you.

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »
It's not always his job to not take a knee.....do you really think that?  So if the ball is 8 yds deep into the endzone he is supposed to run it out?  Better tell that to ALL the return men in the league.  And besides that it has more to do with the situation.....hands team, with lead, backpedaling = take a knee.

See if you hear one single football analyst defend him with the argument you guys are trying. I'm actually beginning to wonder if any of you guys actually watch, or have played football, or are just yanking my chain.  It's such a basic thing.
fuck them analysts... so your saying if your in front in a game which you were as good as the Pats, if not better, then you should just put your tail between your legs, take a knee, and then what? your probably gonna say Trent should take 3 kneels too and punt the ball deep in the territory?

your making it sound like you have played football, well so have i ( and i was an all-stater too for that matter). If we're going by your logic, we have 2 scenarios after the guy knees the ball in the end zone:

1) Trent takes 3 knees, pats had 3 Timeouts and then with 1:40 the Bills had to punt the ball, and Brady still could've marched down the field for the game winning TD

2) After the guy took the knee in the end zone, the Bills actually run play, whether they pass the ball or run the ball correct?  Now imagine that Fumble happened on one those plays that the Bills were running after the knee in the end zone.

my point is, the guy wasnt stupid for running out of the end zone, he was dumb for not having 2 hands on the ball and protecting it like a mofo.

The big problem the Bills had WAS THE TURNOVER, not him "deciding to run it out of endzone". Of course now in Hindsight you say he shouldnt have ran it out, but that doesnt mean he was wrong.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
Matt T's IQ......Tre's athleticism on that particular play.

L O L!!

"I almost took it all da way, Coach!"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
The bills are playing what some believe to be the best team in the league.  Up by a few points with 2 minutes left wasn't the place or time to become complacent.  They needed to stay aggressive and run out some time.  The fact the fumbled on the kick off was unfortunate but wasn't a bad call.  He could have ran it to the 20 and edwards could have thrown an INT or they could have ran and fumbled on and on.......

Plus showstoppa, he wasn't eight yards into the end zone.  He caught it right at the line and ran it out.  The bills needed to stay aggressive and they did, just a bad fumble and luck ruined it.

Fuck the commentators.  They are the worse flip floppers in the world.  They would be calling him the best returner in the league if he ran that to the 50 or scored a touchdown.  He fumbles and they all jump on him. BS.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »
fuck them analysts... so your saying if your in front in a game which you were as good as the Pats, if not better, then you should just put your tail between your legs, take a knee, and then what? your probably gonna say Trent should take 3 kneels too and punt the ball deep in the territory?

your making it sound like you have played football, well so have i ( and i was an all-stater too for that matter). If we're going by your logic, we have 2 scenarios after the guy knees the ball in the end zone:

1) Trent takes 3 knees, pats had 3 Timeouts and then with 1:40 the Bills had to punt the ball, and Brady still could've marched down the field for the game winning TD

2) After the guy took the knee in the end zone, the Bills actually run play, whether they pass the ball or run the ball correct?  Now imagine that Fumble happened on one those plays that the Bills were running after the knee in the end zone.

my point is, the guy wasnt stupid for running out of the end zone, he was dumb for not having 2 hands on the ball and protecting it like a mofo.

The big problem the Bills had WAS THE TURNOVER, not him "deciding to run it out of endzone". Of course now in Hindsight you say he shouldnt have ran it out, but that doesnt mean he was wrong.

I still think you are wrong.  Much better to take the knee, run the ball 3 times and punt.  Should put the Pats inside their own 30.  With the Pats having no Timeouts, as they would have to burn those when the Bills took a knee or ran the ball, I like those odds for the Bills. 

And as for completly dismissing any football experts....I think I will take Steve Young, Jon Gruden, Jon Ritchie, Kordell Stewart, Mike Ditka, Tom Jackson, etc's opinion on the subject.  Not trying to be nasty, but I think their NFL experience trumps your "all-state" credentials.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
He absolutely did the right thing there.  
1)If he woulda kneeled down, it wouldn't have been enough time to run the clock out.  It wouldna been 3 and out, letting brady back on.  

2)They needed to try to get some yardage in order to either kick 3 pts or set the patriots offense far enough back.

3)Dude did the right thing in returning it.........      The WRONG thing occurred in reaching out for the extra yard while being tackled.
But in returning the ball, he most certainly did the right thing in playing the team they were playing against.

1) Had he knelt down, there would have been far less time on the clock, and/or timeouts on the board for NE to use, and that would be added pressure for NE to drive down the field no matter their field position.
The kick returners job is not only to return kicks. It's his decision to make as to whether it's BENEFICIAL TO THE TEAM AND THE OUTCOME of the game to kneel or to return the ball.

2) So they need extra yardage to make sure NE gets the ball far enough into NE territory so they can't drive back down the field with the time left on the board? OK, then riddle me this:
Why did the returner not just run out of the end zone slower, and PROTECT THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF THE BALL?!?!? Instead, he loses the ball, game, and looks to be the biggest idiot of all time hence this thread!

3) Only point I can agree with you on, somewhat. Do I think he "should have" run the ball out? No. But given that he did so, I think as I said in my (2) point above, he should have protected the ball and made sure that there would be zero chance of him fumbling. He took a few more seconds off the clock by "trying to make a play" as you quoted....but why do you need to make a play when you've almost got the game locked down?! That's a Terrel Owens like move...thinking about your stats and career rather than what is best for the team. Now they have a loss on their hands that could result in them not making the playoffs. Niners vs Cards last year, Cards win...had the Niners won, it could very well have been them in the Bowl. Use that situation for the Bills and this fumble could lead to a very similar scenario.

... They would be calling him the best returner in the league if he ran that to the 50 or scored a touchdown.  He fumbles and they all jump on him. BS.

What are the odds of him returning a kick for a touchdown? Against the team he was playing, how often do they have kicks returned against them and/or how do they rate in special teams play? Things to take into consideration when deciding to return a kick or not. Do they NEED that TD?

Bottom line, IMO, it was not the decision to run the ball out that cost them the game. It was the lack of protecting the ball! That was a bush league move. THAT would have been the right call even if he was protecting it while he knelt down!!!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
The bills are playing what some believe to be the best team in the league.  Up by a few points with 2 minutes left wasn't the place or time to become complacent.  They needed to stay aggressive and run out some time.  The fact the fumbled on the kick off was unfortunate but wasn't a bad call.  He could have ran it to the 20 and edwards could have thrown an INT or they could have ran and fumbled on and on.......

Plus showstoppa, he wasn't eight yards into the end zone.  He caught it right at the line and ran it out.  The bills needed to stay aggressive and they did, just a bad fumble and luck ruined it.

Fuck the commentators.  They are the worse flip floppers in the world.  They would be calling him the best returner in the league if he ran that to the 50 or scored a touchdown.  He fumbles and they all jump on him. BS.

*groan*

Good teams create their own luck. 

As Showstoppa has said, the right play in that situation is to take a knee. 

Unfortunately for football, there are a number of stupid coaches out there (witness the Raider play-calling last night), so maybe there's a job for you guys, after all. 

Even if you come out and fail to move the ball at all and have to punt, at a minimum, you've at least forced the Patriots to use all their timeouts and a FG won't help them. 

It all comes down to game management and the bad teams are the worst at it.  They're the ones who call timeout on 2nd & 5 in the 3rd quarter of a tight game instead of saving those timeouts to get an extra possession late in the game. 

He didn't fumble on purpose (as far as we know), but he never should've been in that position in the first place.

body88

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »
100 % agree here...ANYONE can take a knee and he was right to return it, you cannot give Brady and Co. ANY time to come back, even if its 80 yds.

Exactly, the possesion before they scored in 50 seconds.  They had long sustained drive all game, capped off by dumb mistakes or dropped passes.  In the second half they were lighting it up.  Mcelvin made the right move, he just happened to be stripped of the ball.

SaltShaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
*groan*

As Showstoppa has said, the right play in that situation is to take a knee.  

Unfortunately for football, there are a number of stupid coaches out there (witness the Raider play-calling last night), so maybe there's a job for you guys, after all.  

Even if you come out and fail to move the ball at all and have to punt, at a minimum, you've at least forced the Patriots to use all their timeouts and a FG won't help them.  

It all comes down to game management and the bad teams are the worst at it.  They're the ones who call timeout on 2nd & 5 in the 3rd quarter of a tight game instead of saving those timeouts to get an extra possession late in the game.  

He didn't fumble on purpose (as far as we know), but he never should've been in that position in the first place.

Dude, thats the fucking point right there. THE PROBLEM WAS THE FUMBLE!!!!!!! so your saying its cool to take the knee, and then come out and run 3 plays, but WHAT IF THE FUMBLE OR TURNOVER HAPPENED DURING ONE OF THOSE 3 PLAYS THEY WERE RUNNING?

then i bet you'd be here saying "ummm the QB shouldve just taken 3 knees and leave it to his defense"

again, the problem was THE FUMBLE, NOT THE DECISION!!!!!!!!

body88

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »
Exactly.  If you look at the game stats you see how bad the pats dominated the bills.  People focus on a handful of nice plays the Bills made in the first half and ignore the fact that the pats had 15 more first downs than the Bills and over 150 more yards of total offense.  Time of possesion was largly in the pats favor also.  The pats were dropping passes and missing easy fg's in the first half.  During the second half they looked like the pats and they were scoring at will.  It's easy to say a guy made the wrong move after he is stripped of the ball, but Mckelvin is not dumb for running the ball out.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »

As one of those hokey Weider training journals I had when I was younger quoted:

"Luck is the residue of design."

I changed that to "Luck is the byproduct of design."

If you design something well enough, you most likely won't have to leave it "up to luck." And the luck that you would have would probably allow the situation to play out in your favor.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Ease up there Monday morning quaterbacks.  He did nothing wrong. He is a kick returner and he is supposed to return kicks.  He was one of the best last year.  I bet if he ran it back for a TD you all would be saying that was the smartest play ever.  He just had some bad luck with the strip.  He shouldn't have fought so hard to get tackled.  That was the problem.  But kick off returners job is to NOT TAKE A KNEE.  They are paid to run out and get some yards.  Funny thing is that Watson's touchdown that was ruled a catch even though the ball touched the ground was the same play from the raiders game that was ruled incomplete.

Exactly!  Funny how many ex-pro football coaches and players we have on Getbig.  What would these Vince Lombardi's say if the guy ran it back for a touchdown.  Would Chic say he did the exact thing he was supposed to do.
No Worries 4 me

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »
....backpedaling into the endzone, hands team on the field, with the lead = take a knee

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »
Exactly!  Funny how many ex-pro football coaches and players we have on Getbig.  What would these Vince Lombardi's say if the guy ran it back for a touchdown.  Would Chic say he did the exact thing he was supposed to do.

So how are you guys saying he did the right thing any different, onlymen?  Those of us who are saying he should taken a knee are in agreement with all the people I listed above....(ie: Ditka, Jackson, Ritchie, Stewart) yet you are the "ex-pro football coaches" who know better than all those former NFL players and coaches.....ok...

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 10:13:50 AM »
Showstoppa and Chick are absolutely right on this one.  Football 101 says he HAS to take a knee in this situation.
He tried to play the hero and cost his team the game.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
Exactly.  If you look at the game stats you see how bad the pats dominated the bills.  People focus on a handful of nice plays the Bills made in the first half and ignore the fact that the pats had 15 more first downs than the Bills and over 150 more yards of total offense.  Time of possesion was largly in the pats favor also.  The pats were dropping passes and missing easy fg's in the first half.  During the second half they looked like the pats and they were scoring at will.  It's easy to say a guy made the wrong move after he is stripped of the ball, but Mckelvin is not dumb for running the ball out.

The Patriots dodged a bullet plain and simple.

If that guy takes a fucking knee LIKE HE'S SUPPOSED TO, The Pats are 0-1. Stop acting like it was anything other than what it was....A FUCKING GIFT.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 11:04:34 AM »
Mcelvin made the right move, he just happened to be stripped of the ball.

Getbig's premier football know it all gets it wrong once again and has probably never played the game lol If he wasn't gonna take a knee there's actually a low chance of being stripped if he and the coaches are on the same page as to how to handle it, which wasn't the case there. I assure you that Belichick ensures that his guys understand this even though you don't know it yet. With that as the emphasis the chance of being stripped is very low actually, for those who have actually played the game.

That mistake was equally the coaches and the player.