Author Topic: Noahs Ark Found  (Read 64128 times)

LATS

• Getbig IV
Re: Noahs Ark Found
« Reply #475 on: May 05, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
I CANT BELIEVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE THAT WE STILL HAVE THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN THIS FABLE..  ???

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #476 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
I CANT BELIEVE IN THIS DAY AND AGE THAT WE STILL HAVE THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN THIS FABLE..  ???

Stupid people will believe anything... plus it's a way out for the scared spineless people of the world..gives them that warm blanket to stick their head under and cry , gives them some meaning, some purpose.. the sad reality is none of us know why we're here on this one planet in our solar system that (currently) supports life.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #477 on: May 05, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »
I guess when you've wasted good tuition money at some Bible college majoring in worship arts, pimping Noah's Ark as reality on Getbig is probably only one of limited ways to justify such cost. 

Strike One: I didn't attend a Bible College

Strike Two: My degree is in Mechanical Engineering

Strike Three: I didn't waste any good tuition money, as I got a full-ride scholarship, thanks to being a National Achievement Scholar in high school (all but one semester of which was at private schools).

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #478 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »
The table doesn't just include cows. I simply cut it short, because I got tired of typing. I'd just returned from taking my wife out to dinner (Olive Garden...try the Stuffed Chicken Marsala; it's terrific   ;D ).
The book goes into more detail regarding the diets of other animals, in Chapters 12 and 13. If an electronic copy were online, I'd provide the link for you to read for yourself.
Tell me about animals that foraged. How was supply of vegetation, especially for the larger animals kept. Things like berries, roots, and even leaves die off unless they are still on the vine or branch and how did they replenish so fast if daily feedings stripped the plants of leaves, etc.?

Again, you'll have to read the book for yourself. What I've posted is but a small fraction of the information.
Possibilities always lie within trying to prove evidence. Probability is usually the right answer. Probability is that this was a great epic story, not unlike any of the other Greek stories written at about the same time of the bible.
I know your faith is what you rely on for hope, but as an engineer I'm more than sure you have doubts about some of the stories based on the much more vast knowledge that we have today and proof that for people to live more than just 200 years olds is very, very unlikely even with medical assistance.

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #479 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
There are 950,000 species of insect alone. That's 1.9 million individual insects that need to be cared for, which includes monitored breeding, since some forms of flies live for a day or so in their adult stage. Then again, there are many beetles which, as larvae, need site-specific soil to live. They're highly sensitive to minute differences in moisture and composition.

Of course to sustain spiders and other carnivorous arthropods you would need to double that number in feed stock insects.

Then there are the 30k non-insect, non-sea swelling species, many of which are sensitive to environment and food source. For example, Noah would have had to have grown eucalyptus trees onboard for the koalas alone.

Of course, first he would have had to scour every continent, including Antarctica, for every one of these 1.2 million species, and because so many species (especially insect) are nearly identical, Noah would have had to been an expert in animal classification, being especially careful not to mix two similar species of, say, fruit fly.

Of course, if you're Coach, all of this can be easily explained away as mere formality, but what's really, really impossible to believe is that President Obama could have been born in the U.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

insects are small they would not take up much room in noah's ark

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #480 on: May 06, 2010, 05:58:18 PM »
insects are small they would not take up much room in noah's ark

Great insight there Marty!

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #481 on: May 06, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »
There are 950,000 species of insect alone. That's 1.9 million individual insects that need to be cared for, which includes monitored breeding, since some forms of flies live for a day or so in their adult stage. Then again, there are many beetles which, as larvae, need site-specific soil to live. They're highly sensitive to minute differences in moisture and composition.

Of course to sustain spiders and other carnivorous arthropods you would need to double that number in feed stock insects.

Then there are the 30k non-insect, non-sea swelling species, many of which are sensitive to environment and food source. For example, Noah would have had to have grown eucalyptus trees onboard for the koalas alone.

Of course, first he would have had to scour every continent, including Antarctica, for every one of these 1.2 million species, and because so many species (especially insect) are nearly identical, Noah would have had to been an expert in animal classification, being especially careful not to mix two similar species of, say, fruit fly.

Of course, if you're Coach, all of this can be easily explained away as mere formality, but what's really, really impossible to believe is that President Obama could have been born in the U.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol that is a great post man
TEAM Nasser

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #482 on: May 06, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »
ha ha...so you have some cat living for 900 years building a boat so big that even with todays modern technology would be near impossible...then gathering two of however you want to word it into said boat.then it rains simultaneously all over the entire world...And people wonder why they get laughed at for believing such drivel...

Don't forget, people lived in a whale. It's true, because it's written in a book  ::) ::) ::) ::)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #483 on: May 07, 2010, 03:36:35 AM »
Don't forget, people lived in a whale. It's true, because it's written in a book  ::) ::) ::) ::)

so people living for 600-900 sum years...some other dude lived in the belly of a fish...women virgins giving birth...yea it does sound pretty reasonable...and your right the book says it which makes it so.. :D
DAWG

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #484 on: May 07, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »
so people living for 600-900 sum years...some other dude lived in the belly of a fish...women virgins giving birth...yea it does sound pretty reasonable...and your right the book says it which makes it so.. :D

That may actually have been due to a mistranslation from Hebrew. Pretty funny.
from incomplete data

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #485 on: May 07, 2010, 05:41:16 AM »
the term pareidolia describes a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant. common examples include seeing images of animals or faces in clouds, the man in the moon, and hearing hidden messages on records played in reverse. Pay attention sevashomo!!!

the word comes from the greek para -"beside", "with", or "alongside"- meaning, in this context, something faulty or wrong (as in paraphasia, disordered speech), and eidolon -"image" (the diminutive of eidos: "image", "form", "shape")-. Pareidolia is a type of apophenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

fucking morons

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #486 on: May 07, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
I think we're all forgetting the main point of this thread: it was started, and abandoned, by Coach, like so many of his self-ownings.

James

« Reply #487 on: May 07, 2010, 06:33:47 AM »

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #488 on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:13 AM »
I think we're all forgetting the main point of this thread: it was started, and abandoned, by Coach, like so many of his self-ownings.

Hard to believe Coach was actually smart enough to run away.

McWacky on the other hand... well she is still here slinging mud.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #489 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »
That may actually have been due to a mistranslation from Hebrew. Pretty funny.
Virgin in Hebrew is "bethulah" and young maiden/woman in Hebrew is "almah". Mistakes translated the word "almah" to "parthenos" which in Greek means virgin.
My stance is that if the virgin birth of the bible was so significant and you didn't want to leave any doubt about the messiah's birth being of "godly" miracle, then "bethulah" should have been used in the old testament to designate it.
The passage that christians claim that jesus was of virgin birth is Isiah 7:14 which clearly in Hebrew reads: hinneh ha‘almah harah veyoledet ben; veqara’t shemo ‘immanu ’el

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #490 on: May 07, 2010, 08:23:09 AM »
Or maybe she just reproduced through ambiguous asexual means.  Like toads.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #491 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »
Whew.  A lot of posters in this thread are on the wrong team.  I rejoined the right team I had almost forgotten many months ago.  Great thing about faith is that regardless of whether or not the vast majority of the world consider it some sort of mass delusion doesn't make it any less true.  

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
Whew.  A lot of posters in this thread are on the wrong team.  I rejoined the right team I had almost forgotten many months ago.  Great thing about faith is that regardless of whether or not the vast majority of the world consider it some sort of mass delusion doesn't make it any less true.  

Yeah and jesus walked on water  ::)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #493 on: May 07, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

Same can be said about the Easter Bunny, Zeus, and the Great Pumpkin.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #494 on: May 07, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
Yeah and jesus walked on water  ::)

he's not the only one either !
175lbs by 31st July

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #495 on: May 07, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
atheists are not allowed to hold office is certain states, the president could never announce his atheism.

There is alot more, like opposing abortion clinics, saying condoms cause aids, faith healing leading to death of innocent people, the direct undermining of education in schools by trying to teach creationism.

What states are atheists not allowed to hold office?  I haven't heard that before.

Imo the only situation you stated exclusive to "religious influence" would be faith healing leading to the death of innocent people.  And Christianity does not advocate faith healing to the exclusion of medical care....mainly cults do that.
R

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #496 on: May 07, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
bush was at that grove place worshipping a big wooden owl and participating in mock sacrifices !

is that better?

the world needs another Buddha, Mohammad, Jesus, Caesar or Alexander to show it the light !
175lbs by 31st July

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »
A political candidate either advocating or admitting atheism/agnosticism is committing political suicide, regardless of said candidate's intellect or qualification. Many people simply would not vote for a candidate who did not share their religious allegiances.

Yngiwe, there are many links there.....would you want to give some specific examples that particularly bother you? 

R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
Original Sin came from Adam (and Eve) having the freedom of choice.  "Free will".  It is stated that in heaven there is no pain or sin.  Correct?  Suppose one gets to heaven and wants to sin.  They can't.  Because sin doesn't exist in heaven.  So therefore the desire to sin does not exist either.  Or rather the choice to sin does not exist.  Choice and desire are the basis of free will.  Without it, free will can not exist.

Now I see what you are saying...thanks Lurker!

Yes, from what I can tell, once we are no longer in our "corruptible" bodies as they are now, we will no longer have the desire to sin.  I don't think that necessarily negates free will though...we will still have choice and desire. 

R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
Most men of Jesus time were 5'1, the man of the shroud of Turin is 5'11. Remember Jesus himself couldn't be picked out of a crowd and Jews used a binding shroud, not a sheet. It's a complete middle ages fabrication.

Parker, how do you know that most men of Jesus' time were 5'1"?

And what do you mean Jesus himself couldn't be picked out of a crowd?
R