Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 1013068 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »
Cops like this are everywhere... Of course the only 2 people who think cops are good in this thread are a old white mega Christian and a cop.

Big shock they are giving each other reach arounds about how great cops are.

Ok.. i have mixed feelings. Which i think is normal. There are cops that work in high crime areas like south central (where im from) and about half of them are really fucked up and make generalizations about the community. Which we all do.. but for a cop to do it is irresponsible.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
This guy didnt have a dog license. 

Again - each of these cops is costing the taxpayer 125k and up a year in salary alone and will retire with crazy pensions at 45 years old.

Sorry - my sympathies are with the average homeowner payng 10k a year plus in property taxes alone in Yonkers, not the cop. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2011, 01:33:46 PM »
USDA fines Missouri family $90k for selling a few rabbits without a license
Daily Caller ^ | 5/24/11

It started out as a hobby, a way for the Dollarhite family in Nixa, Mo., to teach a teenage son responsibility. Like a lemonade stand.

But now, selling a few hundred rabbits over two years has provoked the heavy hand of the federal government to the tune of a $90,643 fine. The fine was levied more than a year after authorities contacted family members, prompting them to immediately halt their part-time business and liquidate their equipment.

The Dollarhite’s story, originally picked up by conservative blogger Bob McCarty, has turned into a call to arms for critics of the government’s reach and now has both Democratic and Republican lawmakers vowing to intervene.

John and Judy Dollarhite began selling rabbit meat by the pound in 2006, and as pets to neighbors and friends in 2008.

Raised on the three-acre lot on which their home sits, the rabbits were heralded by local experts for their quality and kept in pristine condition.

When a local pet store asked them to supply their pet rabbits, the Dollarhites had no idea they would be running afoul of an obscure federal regulation that prohibits selling more than $500 worth of rabbits to a pet store without a license from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Under the law, pet stores are exempt from regulation.

But by selling to pet stores for resale, the humble Dollarhites became “wholesale breeders of pet animals,” said Dave Sacks, a spokesman for USDA who defended the fine, even while admitting it “looks curious” to the average person.

That’s especially so since the Dollarhites face no accusation they mistreated any animals. Instead, they committed what’s called in regulatory parlance a “paperwork violation” under the Animal Welfare Act, a 1966 law intended to prevent the abuse of animals.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
This guy didnt have a dog license. 

Again - each of these cops is costing the taxpayer 125k and up a year in salary alone and will retire with crazy pensions at 45 years old.

Sorry - my sympathies are with the average homeowner payng 10k a year plus in property taxes alone in Yonkers, not the cop. 

Sorry I missed the part where they brutalized the guy.... is it in another film?

And if you have never arrested someone surrounded by a crowd, you probably wouldn't understand why there were several cops on scene.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
Ok here is what I am talking about -

My car got broken into an hour ago and they cleaned it out.   Right in broad daylight.  Probably took about 600 worth of stuff. 

I called insurance and have window coverage and needed to make police report to file the claim.  Cops come by and say to me "Bro - you know where you are right?  This is the Box, this is how it is."

Now, I know my hood is not great at all and car thefts are huge near me.   But the cops dont do dick around here, no foot patrols, no thing at all. 

Sit in the damn car and dont do a damn thing while cimes get committed in broad daylight, then write a report afterwards ad tell me that I shoudaccept the thugs committing crimes because that is how it is.   

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
I grew up with and am friendly with tons of cops in yonkers/bronx NY.    i know first hand how they treat the public.   I actually know this guy.   Thinks he did nothing wrong at all and attacks everyoneon his facebook and youtube who question him.  

Unacceptable. Plain and simple.
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
Seventy-One Shots: The Death of Jose Guereña
Pajamas Media ^ | May 25, 2011 | Bob Owens

Jose Guereña survived two tours in Iraq, but he couldn't survive his own government.

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik infamously railed in January of this year that Arizona is a “Mecca for prejudice and bigotry.”

One must wonder if the “prejudice and bigotry” he considers endemic to Arizona is to blame for the death of U.S. Marine veteran Jose Guereña, killed when Dupnik’s deputies gunned him down in his home. They fired 71 shots. They hit him 60 times. And then, as if this wasn’t enough, Dupnik’s deputies blocked paramedics for an hour and 14 minutes from approaching the scene, denying Guereña treatment until he was assuredly dead.

Dupnik’s SWAT team initially claimed that Guereña fired at them while they were serving a warrant — as he slept. They claimed that his bullets hit the bulletproof shield that the entry team hid behind, and that the barrage of bullets they fired back was in self-defense.

Only, Guereña never fired his weapon. Awoken by his wife with screams that men with guns were invading his home and threatening his family, Jose Guereña armed himself with a AR-15 rifle and crouched in the hallway. The SWAT team unloaded upon Guereña on sight. He apparently recognized the home invaders as police. He took 60 rounds, but never — as the Pima County Sheriff’s Department was forced to admit — took off his weapon’s safety as he was being killed.

Prejudice and bigotry?

It was, you’ll recall, a claim Dupnik made in the wake of Jared Loughner’s bloodly rampage at a “Congress in your Corner” event at a Safeway supermarket in Tucson, where six were killed and 14 others were injured — including, gravely, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. Dupnik was attempting to blame the conservative Tea Party movement for the shooting when he made the comment. And even after it was revealed that Loughner’s few known political views had been described as “quite liberal,” and were in fact muddled at best, he refused to retract his slur.

So when Dupnik’s teams attempted a complicated four-house raid of minority families looking for drugs, perhaps bigotry and prejudice really was in play.

Perhaps Dupnik’s officers assumed every Hispanic accused of being a drug dealer really was one, and perhaps they assumed that the tenant of a home protecting his loved ones must be a bloodthirsty cartel member waiting in ambush. Is that why they gunned down a tired, hard-working father sleeping off a night shift at the local copper mine? A Marine veteran of Iraq that had the discipline not to fire — a discipline that a trigger-happy SWAT team which has now killed three men in less than a year cannot itself exercise?

Not only has the Pima Sheriff’s Department tried to justify firing 71 shots at one man in a small hallway, hitting him (thankfully, just him) 60 times in a home where his wife and child were present. They’ve attempted to justify their refusal to let a team of paramedics treat Guereña, who was still miraculously alive after being sprayed mercilessly with bullets. It takes a competent SWAT team just a handful of minutes to “clear” a residential home during a raid. Dupnik’s SWAT team refused to declare the scene “clear” for an agonizing one hour and 14 minutes, and not until Jose Guereña had already died.

A cynic might be tempted to suggest Dupnik’s SWAT team was waiting for the only witness to their assault to die. Considering how the Sheriff’s Department has acted since they stormed the home, a rational person might be tempted to agree.

Not content to blame the victim for his own death, they attempted to insinuate he was a drug dealer, even though they were forced to admit under direct questioning that no drugs were found in his home, and that a clumsy cop falling down may have triggered the bloodbath.

Vanessa Guereña claims that neither she nor her husband heard the officers announce themselves as police. As anyone who has ever seen an episode of any popular police reality show knows, no entry team waits 15 seconds after announcing themselves to batter down a door and rush the inhabitants — as Pima County Lt. Michael O’Connor claims his SWAT team did. Identical scenes of immediate entry upon announcement (or after breaching), without giving those inside a chance to react, is a standard tactic captured again and again.

Why Lt. Michael O’Connor decided to tell a mistruth about a well-known, heavily documented, and highly standardized technique isn’t immediately clear. Perhaps it is because of the inevitable wrongful death lawsuit to be filed against the Pima County Sheriff’s Department on behalf of Vanessa Guereña and her two children. Or perhaps it is because of the possible DOJ civil rights investigation. Perhaps Dupnik’s employees simply are unable to act any more professionally after a raid than they do during one.

No-knock warrants are typically used to surprise the target of raids and keep them from disposing of evidence, with possible violence from the offender cited as justification for the military-style use of heavy armor and machine guns.

Jose Guereña’s death was entirely preventable. Over-armed, over-amped law enforcement is causing far more harm to the public than other tactics and techniques possibly could.

The over-militarization of law enforcement agencies and over-use of SWAT teams is an idea that needs to be revisited in a sane society. Too many good people have been traumatized, and too many killed, under the flimsiest of circumstances.

After surviving two tours of duty in Iraq, only to lose his life in an encounter with Clarence Dupnik’s keystone cops, Jose Guereña was buried with full military honors.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
DOJ letter:'TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight'(FEDs threaten air blockade of Texas)
The Lone Star Report ^ | 5/24/2011 | Andy Hogue

The U.S. Department of Justice sent a letter to House and Texas Senate leaders Tuesday -- reportedly in person -- threatening a shut-down of airports if HB 1937 is passed.

The letter claims Rep. David Simpson's (R-Longview) anti-TSA-groping bill is against federal law and the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution. We include the text of the DOJ's letter, as well as a portion of Simpson's reply, below.

(Excerpt) Read more at lonestarreport.org ...

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/05/25/congressman_on_recent_flight_tsa_patted_down_child_little_old_lady_ignored_man_in_arab_garb.html

The Hill reports: "I walked through … right behind me there was a grandmother — little old lady, and she was was patted down," Rep. Paul Broun (R-Georgia) said on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal."

"Right behind her was a little kid who was patted down. And then right behind him was a guy in Arabian dress who just walked right through. Why are we patting down grandma and kids?"

Go to the website there is a video.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Seventy-One Shots: The Death of Jose Guereña
Pajamas Media ^ | May 25, 2011 | Bob Owens

Jose Guereña survived two tours in Iraq, but he couldn't survive his own government.

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik infamously railed in January of this year that Arizona is a “Mecca for prejudice and bigotry.”

One must wonder if the “prejudice and bigotry” he considers endemic to Arizona is to blame for the death of U.S. Marine veteran Jose Guereña, killed when Dupnik’s deputies gunned him down in his home. They fired 71 shots. They hit him 60 times. And then, as if this wasn’t enough, Dupnik’s deputies blocked paramedics for an hour and 14 minutes from approaching the scene, denying Guereña treatment until he was assuredly dead.

Dupnik’s SWAT team initially claimed that Guereña fired at them while they were serving a warrant — as he slept. They claimed that his bullets hit the bulletproof shield that the entry team hid behind, and that the barrage of bullets they fired back was in self-defense.

Only, Guereña never fired his weapon. Awoken by his wife with screams that men with guns were invading his home and threatening his family, Jose Guereña armed himself with a AR-15 rifle and crouched in the hallway. The SWAT team unloaded upon Guereña on sight. He apparently recognized the home invaders as police. He took 60 rounds, but never — as the Pima County Sheriff’s Department was forced to admit — took off his weapon’s safety as he was being killed.

Prejudice and bigotry?

It was, you’ll recall, a claim Dupnik made in the wake of Jared Loughner’s bloodly rampage at a “Congress in your Corner” event at a Safeway supermarket in Tucson, where six were killed and 14 others were injured — including, gravely, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. Dupnik was attempting to blame the conservative Tea Party movement for the shooting when he made the comment. And even after it was revealed that Loughner’s few known political views had been described as “quite liberal,” and were in fact muddled at best, he refused to retract his slur.

So when Dupnik’s teams attempted a complicated four-house raid of minority families looking for drugs, perhaps bigotry and prejudice really was in play.

Perhaps Dupnik’s officers assumed every Hispanic accused of being a drug dealer really was one, and perhaps they assumed that the tenant of a home protecting his loved ones must be a bloodthirsty cartel member waiting in ambush. Is that why they gunned down a tired, hard-working father sleeping off a night shift at the local copper mine? A Marine veteran of Iraq that had the discipline not to fire — a discipline that a trigger-happy SWAT team which has now killed three men in less than a year cannot itself exercise?

Not only has the Pima Sheriff’s Department tried to justify firing 71 shots at one man in a small hallway, hitting him (thankfully, just him) 60 times in a home where his wife and child were present. They’ve attempted to justify their refusal to let a team of paramedics treat Guereña, who was still miraculously alive after being sprayed mercilessly with bullets. It takes a competent SWAT team just a handful of minutes to “clear” a residential home during a raid. Dupnik’s SWAT team refused to declare the scene “clear” for an agonizing one hour and 14 minutes, and not until Jose Guereña had already died.

A cynic might be tempted to suggest Dupnik’s SWAT team was waiting for the only witness to their assault to die. Considering how the Sheriff’s Department has acted since they stormed the home, a rational person might be tempted to agree.

Not content to blame the victim for his own death, they attempted to insinuate he was a drug dealer, even though they were forced to admit under direct questioning that no drugs were found in his home, and that a clumsy cop falling down may have triggered the bloodbath.

Vanessa Guereña claims that neither she nor her husband heard the officers announce themselves as police. As anyone who has ever seen an episode of any popular police reality show knows, no entry team waits 15 seconds after announcing themselves to batter down a door and rush the inhabitants — as Pima County Lt. Michael O’Connor claims his SWAT team did. Identical scenes of immediate entry upon announcement (or after breaching), without giving those inside a chance to react, is a standard tactic captured again and again.

Why Lt. Michael O’Connor decided to tell a mistruth about a well-known, heavily documented, and highly standardized technique isn’t immediately clear. Perhaps it is because of the inevitable wrongful death lawsuit to be filed against the Pima County Sheriff’s Department on behalf of Vanessa Guereña and her two children. Or perhaps it is because of the possible DOJ civil rights investigation. Perhaps Dupnik’s employees simply are unable to act any more professionally after a raid than they do during one.

No-knock warrants are typically used to surprise the target of raids and keep them from disposing of evidence, with possible violence from the offender cited as justification for the military-style use of heavy armor and machine guns.

Jose Guereña’s death was entirely preventable. Over-armed, over-amped law enforcement is causing far more harm to the public than other tactics and techniques possibly could.

The over-militarization of law enforcement agencies and over-use of SWAT teams is an idea that needs to be revisited in a sane society. Too many good people have been traumatized, and too many killed, under the flimsiest of circumstances.

After surviving two tours of duty in Iraq, only to lose his life in an encounter with Clarence Dupnik’s keystone cops, Jose Guereña was buried with full military honors.

60 out of 71 is impressive!

How slanted and prejudiced the author was who wrote the article..obvious

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »
Have you paid attention to this story? 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »
Ok here is what I am talking about -

My car got broken into an hour ago and they cleaned it out.   Right in broad daylight.  Probably took about 600 worth of stuff. 

I called insurance and have window coverage and needed to make police report to file the claim.  Cops come by and say to me "Bro - you know where you are right?  This is the Box, this is how it is."

Now, I know my hood is not great at all and car thefts are huge near me.   But the cops dont do dick around here, no foot patrols, no thing at all. 

Sit in the damn car and dont do a damn thing while cimes get committed in broad daylight, then write a report afterwards ad tell me that I shoudaccept the thugs committing crimes because that is how it is.   

Out of 10 burglary of  vehicles that occurred in Region 2 yesterday, all 10 had either purses, briefcases, shopping bags, GPS devices etc in plain view.

It is frustrating for cops when citizens won't even take the time to remove their expensive items from plain view, then whine that their car got broken into.

We set up traps, we catch the bad guys, judges give them a slap on the wrist because it's a property crime, and we start the process over again. If only the citizens would give us a little help and not leave $600 worth of stuff protected only by glass.    

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
It was in the trunk.  They busted the side window and opened the trunk.   Oh, they took a gym bag with dirty clothes, a water bottle  and Axe deoderant in it too.   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
It was in the trunk.  They busted the side window and opened the trunk.   Oh, they took a gym bag with dirty clothes, a water bottle  and Axe deoderant in it too.   

those bastards stole your axe deodorant??

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
those bastards stole your axe deodorant??

Yes, and my freaking swimming stuff.  I can imagine some ghetto thug animal trying to hawk my speedo goggles and fins to some doper on the street.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

The Police State Is Personal
The Ludwig Von MIses Insitiute ^ | May 25, 2011 | Wendy McElroy
Posted on May 25, 2011 10:43:26 PM EDT by danielmryan

Does America now qualify as a police state? And, if so, where do you — or will you — personally draw a hard line and say, "No! That is a law or a police order I refuse to obey"?

As an anarchist, I view all states as police states, because every law is ultimately backed by police force against the body or property of a scofflaw, however peaceful he may be. I see only a difference of degree, not of kind. But even small differences in the degree of repression can be matters of life or death, and so they should not be trivialized.

A police state is more commonly described as a totalitarian government that exerts extreme social, political, and economic control. It maintains this control by a pervasive surveillance of its own citizenry, by draconian law enforcement, and by granting or withholding "privileges" such the ability to travel. Typically, there is a special police force, such as a Stasi, that operates with no transparency and few restraints. Unlike traditional policemen, who respond to crime, the purpose of such state police is to monitor and control society.

Let me restate my opening question: does America now embody this common description of a police state?

Clearly it does. The American government exerts extreme control over society, down to dictating which foods you may eat. Its economic control borders on the absolute. It politicizes and presides over even the traditional bastion of privacy — the family. Camera and other surveillance of daily life has soared, with the Supreme Court recently expanding the "right" of police to perform warrantless searches. Enforcement is so draconian that the United States has more prisoners per capita than any other nation; and over the last few years, the police have been self-consciously militarizing their procedures and attitudes. Travel, formerly a right, is now a privilege granted by government agents at their whim. Several huge and tyrannical law-enforcement agencies monitor peaceful behavior rather than respond to crime. These agencies operate largely outside the restrictions of the Constitution; for example, the TSA conducts arbitrary searches in violation of Fourth Amendment guarantees.

The Internet would run out of electrons before I could complete a list of the specifics that constitute an emerging Police America. The extent to which you are personally oppressed by the state, however, can be estimated by answering several more abstract questions:

How many peaceful activities would make you a criminal if you chose to do them?

How much of your life is spent working to pay taxes and other government fees?

How freely can you relocate your assets and person outside state jurisdiction?

How freely can you use your assets and person within state jurisdiction?

Few people aside from the state apparatchiks can answer in a way that makes them feel anything but economically enslaved and physically trapped.

No one should have to chose between family and the state, nor their wealth and the law. When confronted by such choices, there is no easy or correct answer. An increasing number of Americans are becoming expatriates for their own safety and that of their families. But the great majority of people are rooted in place by extended family, friends, work, inertia, emotional attachments, or other compelling reasons.

Those who recognize the emergence of Police America and yet feel a need to stay should ask themselves a question: where is the limit at which you withdraw your cooperation and say "no!" to a state law or a state agent's order? Would you inform on a neighbor, as the authorities already urge you to do? Would you assist a friend or family member even if it made you criminally an accessory; if so, whom? Would you steal from or harm an innocent person on command? If ordered, would you assist a police officer to do so, or would you interfere and, so, become vulnerable to a charge of "obstructing justice"?

There are several reasons for asking yourself such questions now. They include:

The consequences of your act may depend not merely on where you draw a line but also on how you do so. Planning can help you draw your line in a prudent way.

You may be reluctant to draw the lines you wish because you fear endangering your loved ones, your wealth, or something else valuable to you. If possible, secure these in advance. Prepare.

If you don't know where the lines are, then you are far more likely to act against your own principles or interests when suddenly confronted by a distressing, demanding situation like an officer barking commands.

Knowing where your limits are makes it more possible to avoid situations that trigger them.

Harry Browne advised people to pay a price as soon as possible because it costs less overall; this applies to psychological prices as well as to financial ones. It will never be easier for you to consider this question than right now, in privacy and comfort.

There are no correct answers. The purpose of the exercise is merely to become more aware of how you, personally, could live under a police state while retaining your safety and your self-respect.

The author of several books, Wendy McElroy maintains two active websites: wendymcelroy.com and ifeminists.com. Send her mail.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Big Brother Is Watching You
Reason Magazine ^ | 05/25/2011 | A. Barton Hinkle
Posted on May 25, 2011 11:43:55 PM EDT by The Magical Mischief Tour

In 1991, George Holliday filmed the LAPD’s arrest and beating of Rodney King. The videotape provoked national controversy. If a similar incident happened today, it might provoke something else: the arrest of George Holliday.

Cell phones and cameras with video-recording capability have become ubiquitous. This has led to an increase in the filming of police officers, which has led to a backlash: Cops have begun arresting those who film them, on charges such as interfering with an investigation—even when the filmer is not interfering and the officer is not investigating.

In one now-famous example, motorcyclist Anthony Graber’s helmet cam was rolling when Graber was pulled over last March by a Maryland State Trooper. The Trooper came out of an unmarked car in plain clothes, yelling, with his gun drawn. Graber didn’t like that—and posted the video on YouTube. In short order he was arrested and charged with felony wiretapping. A judge eventually threw the charges out—six months later.

Such incidents have led to a national conversation about the propriety of videotaping cops, even as dashboard cameras have become standard in squad cars. There seems to be some tension in the assumption that, as Graber’s lawyer put it, "the officer has a privacy expectation, but the motorist doesn’t."

That asymmetry has been underscored by recent rulings over global positioning systems. Last year the Virginia Court of Appeals said Fairfax County police did not violate a suspect’s right to privacy when, without a warrant, they surreptitiously put a GPS device on his vehicle to track his movements. Individuals have no expectation of privacy on the public streets, the court ruled—a position also taken by the Ninth Circuit in California.

Yet this past January, Kathy Byron, a member of Virginia’s House of Delegates, introduced legislation that would have forbidden the use of GPS tracking devices for the purpose of following political candidates. People running for public office "are still entitled to some privacy," she argued.

If ordinary citizens have little claim to privacy in public places, then what about their electronic devices? U.S. border-patrol agents often search the phones and computers of American citizens who cross the border—routinely "accessing email accounts, examining photographs and looking through personal calendars," according to The Constitution Project, a watchdog group. "In some cases, electronic devices were confiscated for as long as a year." And in Michigan, the State Police have high-tech forensic devices enabling them to download information from the cell phones of stopped motorists—something they have been doing without a warrant.

In New York, a cell phone alert system will send text messages with a unique ring tone in the event of a terrorist attack or other emergency. By next year the system will go nationwide, and all new cell phones will be required to contain the special chip needed to relay the messages. Orwell comparisons are overdone, but it is hard not to think of 1984: "The voice from the telescreen paused. A trumpet call, clear and beautiful, floated into the stagnant air. The voice continued raspingly: ‘Attention! Your attention, please! A newsflash has this moment arrived from the Malabar front. Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory. . . .’ "

Soon Americans might have no right to expect privacy even in the privacy of their own homes. Earlier this month the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 8-1 that police officers may force their way into your domicile without your consent, without a warrant, and without what are usually referred to as "exigent circumstances"—e.g., someone inside the home yelling for help. The case, Kentucky v. King, concerned an incident in which police officers chasing a drug suspect ran into an apartment building, smelled marijuana, heard noises they thought might indicate someone was destroying evidence—and broke down the wrong door. This, said the Supremes, was perfectly fine.

Dissenting Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg asked an apposite question: "How ‘secure’ do our homes remain if police, armed with no warrant, can pound on doors at will and, on hearing sounds indicative of things moving, forcibly enter and search for evidence of unlawful activity?"

The Indiana Supreme Court recently issued two rulings of a similar nature. The first said police officers serving a warrant can enter a home without knocking if officers decide they need to. The second said residents have no right to prevent the unlawful entry of police officers into their homes.

Before long the police might not even need to enter your home to search it. Last year Forbes reported that a company called American Science & Engineering racked up $224 million in sales of ZBVs. Those are Z Backscatter Vans, equipped with x-ray machines that can see through walls and clothing. The magazine says the vans have become "powerful tools for security, law enforcement and border control."

Let’s be clear about one thing: Asymmetry is not the same as injustice. The police can pull you over for speeding, but not vice versa—and that is as it should be. The whole idea of having police departments is to allow only certain authorized individuals -- the ones with badges—to raid homes, arrest suspects, and so on. And many of the developments noted above will help law enforcement catch bad guys, which is a good thing.

But it is not the only thing. It is not even the primary thing. Catching bad guys is an ancillary goal for government, whose first duty is to protect the rights of law-abiding citizens. It’s hard for government to do that while simultaneously chipping away at them.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »
It's similiar here in Austria.
If there's a fine e.g. parking ticket, driving too fast, license for your car expired, etc. the police is fast and furious.
If for example a citizen needs help then the tides turn...
...for example a friend of mine and some buddies of his were attacked by a dog from a shitty owner... they called police for help...

...answer: "Stop screaming and fuck off."
A patrolling police car didn't stop when taunted and asked for help.
After 30 minutes and numerous calls from many people in the same street police arrived...

a whole swat team(15+) for a single idiot with his dog.

This has been going on for a long time and the only difference is now it's becoming obvious... cameras everywhere, silent public unrest.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
It's similiar here in Austria.
If there's a fine e.g. parking ticket, driving too fast, license for your car expired, etc. the police is fast and furious.
If for example a citizen needs help then the tides turn...
...for example a friend of mine and some buddies of his were attacked by a dog from a shitty owner... they called police for help...

...answer: "Stop screaming and fuck off."
A patrolling police car didn't stop when taunted and asked for help.
After 30 minutes and numerous calls from many people in the same street police arrived...

a whole swat team(15+) for a single idiot with his dog.

This has been going on for a long time and the only difference is now it's becoming obvious... cameras everywhere, silent public unrest.

Ja? im Ernst?
I hate the State.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2011, 04:15:05 AM »
Ja? im Ernst?

Ja.
Ich kann mich auch erinnern, dass seit Ewigkeiten die cobbs, besonders in kleinen Städten den Bürgern gerne am Arsch gehn.
Wenn du draussen sitzt - immer langsam vorbei fahren und herschaun - das mehrere male -> "Wer, warum, wieso?"
Oft ist es auch so dass, wenn du am abend wo "herumlungerst" ohne laut oder so zu sein, du aufgefordert wirst dich zu verziehen... is seit gut 20 Jahren so.
In einer Anstalt in Wien, wo du einen Bachelor absolvieren kannst, es so ist, dass wenn du am Gang mit anderen stehst und plauderst, das ganze aufgelöst wird da eine Möglichkeit des versammelten Protests besteht.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »
New LAPD Patrol Car To Sport Infrared Night Vision, License Plate Scanner
May 26, 2011 1:03 PM

The Los Angeles Police Department is expected to debut the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) in mid-2011. (credit: Translogic/AOL)

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — If you thought the patrol car in the 1987 action movie “Robocop” was high-tech, wait until you see what L.A.’s finest will be soon be driving.

AOL’s Translogic caught a sneak peek of the new squad car of choice for the Los Angeles Police Department: the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV).

Billed as the “sum total of all the law enforcement community has learned about patrol cars to date”, the PPV boasts a 6.0L V-8 engine with 355 horsepower, 18-inch steel wheels, and a host of gadgets that puts any Hollywood squad car to shame.

The Caprice, which replaces the long-used Ford Crown Victoria, is equipped with an infrared night vision camera, automated license plate scanner, and a touch-screen center console that replaces the older computers traditionally used by officers.

In addition to horsepower and firepower, the cruiser is also outfitted with the latest in information technology, with ethernet, Wi-Fi and an experimental wireless-mesh network in the trunk.

Even the bad guys can ride in comfort: cut-outs in the back seat are custom-made to accommodate any handcuffed suspect.

At a taxpayer cost of $20,000, LAPD officials say vehicle wrapping was used on the all-black sedans instead of the traditional paint to minimize repair expenses and protect resale value.

Drivers can expect to see the new 2012 Chevrolet Caprice PPV cruising city streets as early as mid-2011.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
New LAPD Patrol Car To Sport Infrared Night Vision, License Plate Scanner
May 26, 2011 1:03 PM

The Los Angeles Police Department is expected to debut the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) in mid-2011. (credit: Translogic/AOL)

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — If you thought the patrol car in the 1987 action movie “Robocop” was high-tech, wait until you see what L.A.’s finest will be soon be driving.

AOL’s Translogic caught a sneak peek of the new squad car of choice for the Los Angeles Police Department: the Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV).

Billed as the “sum total of all the law enforcement community has learned about patrol cars to date”, the PPV boasts a 6.0L V-8 engine with 355 horsepower, 18-inch steel wheels, and a host of gadgets that puts any Hollywood squad car to shame.

The Caprice, which replaces the long-used Ford Crown Victoria, is equipped with an infrared night vision camera, automated license plate scanner, and a touch-screen center console that replaces the older computers traditionally used by officers.

In addition to horsepower and firepower, the cruiser is also outfitted with the latest in information technology, with ethernet, Wi-Fi and an experimental wireless-mesh network in the trunk.

Even the bad guys can ride in comfort: cut-outs in the back seat are custom-made to accommodate any handcuffed suspect.

At a taxpayer cost of $20,000, LAPD officials say vehicle wrapping was used on the all-black sedans instead of the traditional paint to minimize repair expenses and protect resale value.

Drivers can expect to see the new 2012 Chevrolet Caprice PPV cruising city streets as early as mid-2011.

Love it how those assholes phrase it like it's a good thing.
Will be helpful "gathering" more money from the tax payers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-07/justice/mayor.warran...

A Maryland mayor is asking the federal government to investigate why SWAT team members burst into his home without knocking and shot his two dogs to death in an investigation into a drug smuggling scheme.

"This has been a difficult week and a half for us," Cheye Calvo, mayor of Berwyn Heights, Maryland, said Thursday. "We lost our family dogs. We did it at the hands of sheriff's deputies who burst through our front door, rifles blazing."

The raid last week was led by the Prince George's County Police Department, with the sheriff's special operations team assisting, after a package of marijuana was sent to Calvo's home.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Love it how those assholes phrase it like it's a good thing.
Will be helpful "gathering" more money from the tax payers.

Technology is a good thing. The plate scanner has the capability to read and log hundreds of plates in a short amount of time and will red flag and annouce any stolen vehicle, felony wanted person and can be used to place suspects in the vicinity of a recent serious crime.

Night vision? Hell yeah... looking for that suspect that just stabbed an old man for his cell phone and ran down a dark alley or into a field?

Where they lose me is the horsepower. We've come a long way since the catch em at any cost days and there isn't a lot of need for horsepower. It will likely result in more collisions going to hot calls because the rookie officers tend to let the adrenaline go to their heads.