Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 989477 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #2325 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
Cop Kills Man with Patrol Car While Speeding & Looking at Laptop, Flexes Blue Privilege – No Charges

Port Orange, FL — On December 21, Port Orange Police Officer Silvio Portillo was driving his patrol car at 15 mph above the posted speed limit when he struck and killed a motorcyclist.

Father of two and Navy Veteran, Andrew McIlvain, 39, was riding his motorcycle as Officer Portillo was looking down at his laptop on the way to a “non-priority” noise complaint. When Portillo looked up, it was too late, he was driving over this unsuspecting man.

Two weeks later, McIlvain succumbed to his severe injuries, and he died on January 4. The police even had the audacity to attempt to justify this officer’s reckless driving by releasing a statement that McIlvain didn’t have his driver’s license at the time of the crash — as if that is worthy of a death sentence.

All of this information was obtained by the Port Orange police during the process of their internal investigation. It is a matter of police record that Silvio Portillo was driving his patrol car, was speeding, was distracted, and killed an innocent man. He was then suspended for ten days and ordered to attend an emergency vehicle operation course.

However, according to the Florida Highway Patrol, they could not legally prove those facts during Portillo’s hearing last week.

The debacle began as Portillo conveniently did not show up to his own hearing for the careless driving charge. This was likely an attempt to avoid a perjury charge if he was asked about driving the car that killed a man.

According to the Daytona Beach News-Journal:

Portillo did not appear for the hearing before County Judge Angela Dempsey at the Courthouse Annex in Daytona Beach. Portillo’s attorney Martin White argued successfully that the police officer had not been identified as the driver of the squad car that struck McIlvain.

The FHP was responsible for an independent investigation of Portillo. Former FHP Trooper Robert Asbill interview him after the accident, however, he was conveniently absent that day as well. Even so, the FHP’s own report, prepared by Trooper Kurt Glaenzer listed Portillo as the driver of the patrol car!

“Because the defendant is not required to file an affidavit there is no evidence on the record to identify my client as the operator of that vehicle,” White said in a glaring misrepresentation of the truth.

“Your Honor, we move for a judgment of acquittal at this junction,” White said. “There’s been no identification that my client was driving behind the wheel. The state did not establish venue.”

“Judgment of acquittal is granted,” Dempsey said.

This entire dog and pony show wasn’t about whether or not to charge Portillo with manslaughter; it was only about a $166 careless driving ticket. Had Portillo received that ticket for careless driving, however, he could have been subject Florida state law 782.071 for vehicular homicide.

Instead, Portillo will escape all accountability.

Because of his negligence, Silvio Portillo killed an innocent man. And, because of the corruption and unwillingness of the supposed “justice” system to prosecute their own, no one will be held responsible for this loss of life.

Talking to the Journal, White said that while the argument that it could not be proven that Portillo was driving the patrol car might seem “counterintuitive” it was based on the law. He declined further comment.

“It bothers me to see a mother that’s heartbroken, and I have to explain the law to her,” Glaenzer said as McIlvain’s elderly mother sat silently stunned in the back of the courtroom; wondering how a cop can kill her son and face no repercussions.

Those who are tasked with upholding the law should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us, or at the very least, the same standard. However, as is the case the majority of the time, the blue line conceals a much lower set of standards.

All hope is not lost for McIlvain’s mother though, her attorney Michael Politis, said they have already begun the process for a civil lawsuit in this case. However, the unfortunate reality of the civil lawsuit is that the taxpayers will be held liable and not the man who killed her son.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-kills-man-patrol-car-speeding-laptop-flexes-blue-privilege-charges/

Wow.  Words really can't describe just how disgusting that is.

But hey, there's no systemic issues in policing.  It's just the one-off bad apple.  ::)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2326 on: July 08, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
Another brave cop "feared for his life"...

Lawsuit claims NYPD cops smashed autistic teen’s head into sidewalk and punched him when he 'failed to make eye contact'

Troy Canales was standing outside his home in The Bronx in November 2014 when two cops asked him what he was doing
Federal lawsuit filed on behalf of the 18-year-old claims officers threw him to the ground, smashed his head against concrete and punched him
Canales' mother told cops her son was autistic but they arrested him anyway
Canales was released an hour later without any charges after a police captain apologized to his mother saying 'things like this happen'
Alyson Valentine believes her son's difficulty making eye contact with strangers may have raised alarm with cops
One of the arresting officers said he 'feared for his life' while talking to the 17-year-old

According to the court papers, the NYPD provided no explanation as to why Troy Canales was beaten up and detained beyond claiming that one of the arresting officers 'feared for his life' while talking to the 17-year-old on the evening of November 12, 2014.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3153971/Lawsuit-claims-NYPD-cops-smashed-autistic-teen-s-head-sidewalk-punched-failed-make-eye-contact.html

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2327 on: July 08, 2015, 02:59:54 PM »

Wow.  Words really can't describe just how disgusting that is.

But hey, there's no systemic issues in policing.  It's just the one-off bad apple.  ::)

It seems probable that he got some advice from his local goons police union.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2328 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »
Another brave cop "feared for his life"...

Lawsuit claims NYPD cops smashed autistic teen’s head into sidewalk and punched him when he 'failed to make eye contact'

Troy Canales was standing outside his home in The Bronx in November 2014 when two cops asked him what he was doing
Federal lawsuit filed on behalf of the 18-year-old claims officers threw him to the ground, smashed his head against concrete and punched him
Canales' mother told cops her son was autistic but they arrested him anyway
Canales was released an hour later without any charges after a police captain apologized to his mother saying 'things like this happen'
Alyson Valentine believes her son's difficulty making eye contact with strangers may have raised alarm with cops
One of the arresting officers said he 'feared for his life' while talking to the 17-year-old

According to the court papers, the NYPD provided no explanation as to why Troy Canales was beaten up and detained beyond claiming that one of the arresting officers 'feared for his life' while talking to the 17-year-old on the evening of November 12, 2014.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3153971/Lawsuit-claims-NYPD-cops-smashed-autistic-teen-s-head-sidewalk-punched-failed-make-eye-contact.html

Cue Agnostic007 to school us on how "action is better than reaction" and all that jazz...

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2329 on: July 09, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »
Cue Agnostic007 to school us on how "action is better than reaction" and all that jazz...

Agnostic "We've heard one side of the story so far. IF their story is shown to be accurate during trial then it's atrocious behavior from the police and they should be fired, and applicable charges filed against them. "

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2330 on: July 09, 2015, 11:32:15 AM »
Agnostic "We've heard one side of the story so far. IF their story is shown to be accurate during trial then it's atrocious behavior from the police and they should be fired, and applicable charges filed against them. "

After all the shit the police have heaped onto the general public for so many years maybe they deserve alot of this backlash that is coming their way.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2331 on: July 09, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
After all the shit the police have heaped onto the general public for so many years maybe they deserve alot of this backlash that is coming their way.

While I see where you are coming from, I disagree about deserving backlash. Granted, there have been instances and there will be instances of police officers screwing the pooch. Sometimes in a big way as in criminal, sometimes ethical and sometimes stupid/poor judgment. But at the same time there is a vast majority of officers that are out there doing what most would consider is a tough job at best under often times crappy circumstances, and in many cases, for little compensation. Now you can say "Well, no one held a gun to their heads" and you would be correct. Many like myself went into the profession because we always wanted to, and we liked helping people and catching bad guys.
I don't think the answer at this point is to heap backlash upon the entire police community for the acts of a small percentage. I think it's counterproductive in the long run. I DO agree the police can and should do a better job of policing themselves and re-building the trust when it's clearly shown one of their own f*ked up.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2332 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
NYPD destroyed evidence that officers had wrongly summoned up to 850,000 people as it attempted to hit targets

Top chiefs deleted texts, emails and paperwork, class action suit claims
Frontline officers pressured to handout extra summonses while on duty
One text about low seat belt numbers told officer it was 'unacceptable'
Rising fears about number of summonses thrown out for lack of evidence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3150858/NYPD-destroyed-evidence-officers-wrongly-summoned-850-000-people-attempted-secretly-boost-arrest-rate.html

fvckers should be in jail for that.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #2333 on: July 09, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »
1. While I see where you are coming from, I disagree about deserving backlash. Granted, there have been instances and there will be instances of police officers screwing the pooch. Sometimes in a big way as in criminal, sometimes ethical and sometimes stupid/poor judgment. But at the same time there is a vast majority of officers that are out there doing what most would consider is a tough job at best under often times crappy circumstances, and in many cases, for little compensation. Now you can say "Well, no one held a gun to their heads" and you would be correct. Many like myself went into the profession because we always wanted to, and we liked helping people and catching bad guys.

2. I don't think the answer at this point is to heap backlash upon the entire police community for the acts of a small percentage. I think it's counterproductive in the long run.
3. I DO agree the police can and should do a better job of policing themselves and re-building the trust when it's clearly shown one of their own f*ked up.  

Good to see you are accepting (if trying to minimise, as you would.) There is Big Problems
Within the Police Service from Top to Bottom.

1 & 2. That's akin to what is happening to Muslims Now.
Clearly they are not all evil murdering scumbags.
Only the ones doing the killings etc are attracting so much Bad publicity,
And sadly the vast majority of other Muslims either remain silent &
Won't come out & condemn those for doing such Atrocities.
Backlash is inevitable under those circumstances.

3. It's fair to say the police are woefully inadequate at policing themselves.
Just as in any other field of work , you cannot have them policing each other
And expect it to be fair & unbiased.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2334 on: July 09, 2015, 04:10:03 PM »

What about the other story posted, about the cop who was looking at this computer and killed a kid? You know, the cop whose attorney "successfully" argued that his client hadn't been identified as the driver, despite an FHP report that listed him as the driver?

That thin blue line is a lane or two wide...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #2335 on: July 09, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »

Good to see you are accepting (if trying to minimise, as you would.) There is Big Problems

Excellent points as usual.  I would add that Backlash needs to be positive.  Giving cops the finger just isn't productive and kind of a dick move IMO.  Attacking the issue via political leaders, elections, changes to the law, changes to the courts, changes in hiring practices etc., is what is really needed.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2336 on: July 11, 2015, 01:52:50 PM »

Excellent points as usual.  I would add that Backlash needs to be positive.  Giving cops the finger just isn't productive and kind of a dick move IMO.  Attacking the issue via political leaders, elections, changes to the law, changes to the courts, changes in hiring practices etc., is what is really needed.

[/quote)

Yes well said. That is how it should be sorted out.

And yes giving the finger is probably not the best thing to do,
Inevitably the continued bad policing & cover ups, lack of real
& proper investigations & punishments is likely to lead to
Heightened frustrations, lack of confidence & respect.
Hence the bad behaviour & people taking matters into their
Own hands.
Not Good.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #2337 on: July 11, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »
I am an upstanding, tax paying citizen. My driving record is immaculate.  I don't speed (or at least don't drive recklessly) and have never been in a wreck (which I also consider to be great luck as well). I have never gotten a ticket for bad driving in any form, only for petty things like dead tag (car wouldn't pass emissions yet diesel trucks from the 70's are allowed on the road), only one functioning headlight (meanwhile a motorcycle goes by doing 100) and the usual "you went left of center, have you been drinking?" (no officer I don't go "left of center" when I have a cop behind me) bullshit.

In 6 years I have been blue-lighted at least 18 times.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2338 on: July 12, 2015, 05:11:15 AM »
How many people has to die before someone stands up to the murderers?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #2339 on: July 12, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »
How many black people has to die before someone stands up to the murderers?

fixed for the undeniable truth

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #2340 on: July 12, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »
How many people has to die before someone stands up to the murderers?

Why is it that some people, like myself for instance, NEVER have any issues with the police? I've been pulled over countless times, stopped and searched and even been arrested, yet they've remained polite and civil the whole time. Is it because I was polite and civil straight off the bat? You have mouthy stupid c'unts shooting off - anything can happen.

Seriously, I've had dealings with the cops well over 20-30 times throughout my life. It's always been a pleasant experience, even when I was arrested (for pissing in public). Changes are I would've attracted a bad apple seeing they're now suddenly all bad.

Methinks the people are getting worse. More stupid and ugly, more entitled, more rude. They're only responding in kind.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2341 on: July 12, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »
I am an upstanding, tax paying citizen. My driving record is immaculate.  I don't speed (or at least don't drive recklessly) and have never been in a wreck (which I also consider to be great luck as well). I have never gotten a ticket for bad driving in any form, only for petty things like dead tag (car wouldn't pass emissions yet diesel trucks from the 70's are allowed on the road), only one functioning headlight (meanwhile a motorcycle goes by doing 100) and the usual "you went left of center, have you been drinking?" (no officer I don't go "left of center" when I have a cop behind me) bullshit.

In 6 years I have been blue-lighted at least 18 times.

What kind of car do you drive?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2342 on: July 13, 2015, 04:35:15 AM »
Why is it that some people, like myself for instance, NEVER have any issues with the police? I've been pulled over countless times, stopped and searched and even been arrested, yet they've remained polite and civil the whole time. Is it because I was polite and civil straight off the bat? You have mouthy stupid c'unts shooting off - anything can happen.

Seriously, I've had dealings with the cops well over 20-30 times throughout my life. It's always been a pleasant experience, even when I was arrested (for pissing in public). Changes are I would've attracted a bad apple seeing they're now suddenly all bad.

Methinks the people are getting worse. More stupid and ugly, more entitled, more rude. They're only responding in kind.

Responding in kind by shooting innocent people, manipulating evidence and even when called on it walks.

Consider yourself lucky. The fact that something has not happened to you doesnt mean it doesnt happen to others.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2343 on: July 13, 2015, 04:51:01 AM »
Quote from: James28 on 12-07-2015, 18:24:19

I
Responding in kind by shooting innocent people, manipulating evidence and even when called on it walks.

Consider yourself lucky. The fact that something has not happened to you doesnt mean it doesnt happen to others.

James makes some good points in his post.
Thankfully he has not had any problems with the cops who he has had contact with,
This is how IT Should Be.

Everything Whork says is Also Very True.
And Happening Every single Day.
People should Not Be Losing Their Lives to Cops least of all over very trivial incidents
Plus the lying,covering up, etc there is Zero Excuse for that.

There other jobs where people encounter other people in sometimes similar circumstances
To cops, people with bad attitudes etc.
Yet Rarely do you hear of them Killing these types Of people they encounter.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2344 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »

We have an Office of the Police Monitor that work alongside Internal Affairs to insure fairness. They are comprised of civilians. That is as good as it's going to get. I believe you need police input in policing police because there are times when the average civilian with a lack of training, experience and knowledge of laws and policies just isn't the best person to review the case. I've seen too many times on this board alone people concluding with a ridiculous statement what they think the officer should have done. I also get that there needs to be the civilian oversight to ensure we are taking that perspective into account and it alleviates the perception we are secretly sweeping things under the rug. And the police need to do a better job of making the information available within the limits of privacy laws. We work for the citizens, I've never understood why there is a need to not disclose information that is not connected with an ongoing investigation.   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2345 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »
What about the other story posted, about the cop who was looking at this computer and killed a kid? You know, the cop whose attorney "successfully" argued that his client hadn't been identified as the driver, despite an FHP report that listed him as the driver?

That thin blue line is a lane or two wide...

I've been frustrated many times by legal loopholes and technicalities when testifying in court or watching court cases where there is clear guilt. It works both ways. You could argue the justice system has a "Thin blue line" with criminals by that yard stick. I think it sucks, I think its an ethical issue at best that the officer doesn't up that he was driving. It's a dilemma; Officers are afforded the same legal rights as citizens with some additional protections due to the nature of their job. If they use the same legal protections a citizen uses it's labeled a conspiracy. On the other hand, should officer, who are commissioned to protect and uphold the laws, be expected to set an example face the consequences of their actions by forgoing their civil protections? For me, I would own my mistake and let the chips fall where they may. I would not use that loophole. I would hope for the best in sentencing but I'm not going to play the system.   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2346 on: July 13, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »

Good post

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2347 on: July 13, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
I've been frustrated many times by legal loopholes and technicalities when testifying in court or watching court cases where there is clear guilt. It works both ways. You could argue the justice system has a "Thin blue line" with criminals by that yard stick. I think it sucks, I think its an ethical issue at best that the officer doesn't up that he was driving. It's a dilemma; Officers are afforded the same legal rights as citizens with some additional protections due to the nature of their job. If they use the same legal protections a citizen uses it's labeled a conspiracy. On the other hand, should officer, who are commissioned to protect and uphold the laws, be expected to set an example face the consequences of their actions by forgoing their civil protections? For me, I would own my mistake and let the chips fall where they may. I would not use that loophole. I would hope for the best in sentencing but I'm not going to play the system.

No, it's not a conspiracy. I'm perfectly fine with the Officer asserting his Constitutional right to not incriminate himself or to be forced to testify. When he's NOT ON THE JOB. He was on duty, driving his cruiser, doing "police business". But even if we assume that he should still be able to assert his right to not incriminate himself and can't be forced to testify, one question remains: what's the excuse for the other cop who didn't come to testify?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2348 on: July 13, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
Quote from: James28 on 12-07-2015, 18:24:19

There have been several instances of police brutality in Portland, OR where the victims had serious mental/emotional disorders such as schizophrenia. Things started getting worse once we decided to mainstream the mentally ill without providing them any resources to survive except on the streets. Drugs also play a role. Whereas alcohol which has been a longtime choice for substance abuse is basically a depressant, some of the street drugs today make people superhuman and very unpredictable. It's a crazy world out there.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2349 on: July 13, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
No, it's not a conspiracy. I'm perfectly fine with the Officer asserting his Constitutional right to not incriminate himself or to be forced to testify. When he's NOT ON THE JOB. He was on duty, driving his cruiser, doing "police business". But even if we assume that he should still be able to assert his right to not incriminate himself and can't be forced to testify, one question remains: what's the excuse for the other cop who didn't come to testify?

Could be a number of legitimate reasons, or it could be unscrupulous. The court hearing was for a traffic ticket. Our officers are required to make their court appearances for traffic tickets unless there is reason for not making it to court. then it is reviewed by their supervisor. If it is not valid, they are disciplined. The most common reason is  they are tied up on a call and can't break. This is not unusual as it is unpredictable how long a particular dispatched call will take. We do everything we can to relieve the officer but often times there are no units available to relieve them. Short of that, unless on vacation (they should have filed a motion for continuance) they will be there. This particular case is a travesty. The FHP report has the officer listed as the driver. If the FHP Officer was needed to make the case in addition to the filed police report the prosecutor should have called for a continuance. In a case as important as this, that should have been done. I'm not a lawyer, but I think that is within their right to request. I think this smells... and justice which is what court us SUPPOSED to be about, was not served that day