Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 993120 times)

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #2525 on: October 05, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
with 50,000 rogue criminal cops out there, I would expect more video of abuse than we are seeing.... maybe they are hibernating?

Hmmmm that's your guesstimate of 5% are rogue cops.
Out of approx 1,000,000 law enforcement.

I would like to Think You & Your buddies Would be Feeling
Very Appalled, Let Down & Disgraced With the Never ending
Barrage of Video's, News air time & Complaints Against
Cops.
Maybe even Stand up against the Rogue 5%.

Sadly that's not the vibe I'm getting from your post.
 ::)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2526 on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »

Hmmmm that's your guesstimate of 5% are rouge cops.
Out of approx 1,000,000 law enforcement.

I would like to Think You & Your buddies Would be Feeling
Very Appalled, Let Down & Disgraced With the Never ending
Barrage of Video's, News air time & Complaints Against
Cops.
Maybe even Stand up against the Rouge 5%.

Sadly that's not the vibe I'm getting from your post.
 ::)

I don't believe there are 50,000 rogue cops out there. I believe that there are probably 50000 out of the 1000000 that are less than stellar and should probably be in another line of work. Spread out over a department of 1000 cops (90% of the departments have less than 10 cops)  that's 50 cops. I would love to have them find another line of work. But sadly and in reality supervisors don't always do a great job in documenting performance issues which makes firing difficult. There are also civil service protections that while are in place for good reason, are often a hindrance to removing substandard officers from the job before they cross the line. Like you, I am happy to see the spot light on the bad cops, no matter how embarrassing it is for us good cops because 1. It may keep an otherwise decent person from going down that path 2. It may start sending the message to departments that culturally are still living in the 60's and 70's. 3. It may eventually lead to better, more professional departments nationwide.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2527 on: October 05, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Shocking video shows the moment a mother was pinned to the ground by police officers and repeatedly punched in the face

Cindy Hahn, 40, is suing the city of Carlsbad and several police officers
    She claims an officer told her to 'mind her own f****** business' after she asked a simple question
    The same officer later pulled her over and pushed her to the ground
    Video recorded at the scene shows her screaming 'help' as one officer holds her down while the other brutally beats her
    She says the ordeal left her with permanent memory loss and brain trauma

A mother was pushed to the ground and punched in the face by police officers while her young children watched after allegedly being pulled over for a seatbelt violation.

Cindy Hahn, 40, of Valencia, is suing the city of Carlsbad and a number of its police officers after the violent confrontation on July 31 in 2013.

She said the video recorded on ‘the worst day of her life’ shows her screaming ‘help me’ as one cop hits her in the face repeatedly while another pins her to the ground.

Hahn says her two children, aged seven and 11, screamed as they watched from the car – and her son remains traumatized.

‘The only thing that he’ll talk to me about is ‘I couldn’t protect you, Mom,’ she told CBSLA.com.

‘I could’ve. I could’ve got him off you. I could have helped you.’

Hahn, whose father is a retired police officer, says the incident was triggered after she asked an officer, who standing next to a car with its alarm blasting, what was going on.

‘He says, ‘Is this your car?’ And I said, ‘No, sir.’ And then he says ‘Then, mind your own f******* business,’ she said.

Shocked, Hahn told a man nearby what the officer has said and then started to record a video.

She said she reported the incident to police after the cop continued swearing at her, but then left the scene.

But a short while later, she alleges the same officer pulled her over and said it was due to a seatbelt violation.

She says that within moments, she was forced to the ground and claims things escalated further when back-up arrived.

The clip shows a third police officer keeping witnesses away from Hahn, who is eventually helped to her feet as the officer in a motorcycle helmet hikes down her dress.

According to court documents, Hahn suffered permanent memory loss and brain trauma.

In July this year, the San Diego District Attorney dropped felony charges against Hahn for battery on a police officer and resisting arrest – which her attorney Mark Geragos says was due to the video.

However, she is going ahead with the lawsuit due to the ‘senseless act of egregious police brutality’ and wants the police officers involved fired and reformed. Court documents alleged that they lied about the incident under oath during Hahn’s criminal proceedings.

Hahn’s father Mike Dalton, who has retired from the San Fernando Police Department, said the incident should never have happened

‘There was no need to punch her in the face,’ he said.

Officials for the city of Carlsbad said they ‘are looking forward to bringing this lawsuit before the proper judicial authorities as soon as possible.’

DailyMail.com has contacted the Carlsbad Police Department for comment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3260527/Shocking-video-shows-moment-mother-pinned-ground-police-officers-repeatedly-punched-face.html

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2528 on: October 05, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
really should put your hands behind your back when they ask you to... How did she get from her car to there? Where is that video?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2529 on: October 05, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
I don't believe there are 50,000 rogue cops out there. I believe that there are probably 50000 out of the 1000000 that are less than stellar and should probably be in another line of work. Spread out over a department of 1000 cops (90% of the departments have less than 10 cops)  that's 50 cops. I would love to have them find another line of work. But sadly and in reality supervisors don't always do a great job in documenting performance issues which makes firing difficult. There are also civil service protections that while are in place for good reason, are often a hindrance to removing substandard officers from the job before they cross the line. Like you, I am happy to see the spot light on the bad cops, no matter how embarrassing it is for us good cops because 1. It may keep an otherwise decent person from going down that path 2. It may start sending the message to departments that culturally are still living in the 60's and 70's. 3. It may eventually lead to better, more professional departments nationwide.

Thank you for a civil answer.
 ;)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2530 on: October 05, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »
While On Desk Duty for Kicking a Cuffed Man in the Face, Cop Manages to Beat an Innocent Teen

Orange County, FL — In just the past seven years, Deputy Richard Nye, with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office, has been the subject of a whopping 21 excessive force complaints. Three of these “isolated incidents” happened in the last two months alone and were all caught on video.

Given Nye’s ludicrously violent and corrupt past, this man should have never been carrying a badge. However, this seems to be the nature of the thin blue line.

In mid-September, Nye was captured on video kicking a man in the face as he lay face-down on the ground in handcuffs. Prior to that Nye was caught on video in a brutal arrest of 21-year-old Deidra Reid in July.

For kicking the compliant and handcuffed Sammy Mike in the face as he laid face down on the ground, Nye was reportedly placed on desk duty.

Since Nye was apparently on desk duty after his most recent attack, it makes his next act of incompetent violence that much more insane. Somehow, Nye was able to assault an innocent teen while simultaneously serving desk duty.

We have reached out to the department to ask how this is possible, but our calls to the Orange County Sheriff’s office have not been returned.

In his most recent attack, Nye was accused of excessive force and admitted, in his report, that he dealt several knee blows to a 17-year-old boy after he mistook him for a 30-year-old suspect.

According to the report, police were looking for a 30-year-old suspect but instead settled for a 17-year-old boy playing basketball.

Video of this incident shows three deputies walking toward several teenagers playing basketball in a driveway. According to the reports, the teens did not know if the men approaching them were officers, so the 17-year-old took off running.

The teen had broken no law but was still the subject of a brutal attack.

“The force was excessive and brutal from the start. They didn’t identify themselves to the individual, who was 17-years-old and terrified,” family attorney Beth Aires said.

Nye claimed the innocent teen may have been reaching for a gun, so Nye hammered into his body with his knee several times. He then cuffed the teen and charged him with resisting arrest. No gun was found and the resisting charges would later be dropped.

How on earth was this man given a badge and a gun?

According to WFTV:

Channel 9 learned that Nye was repeatedly disciplined during his less than one year as a Tavares police officer.

Just 32 days after Tavares hired him in 2004, he was in trouble for crashing his patrol car into a stump. He was warned that further problems could lead to his termination.

In 2005 he was disciplined again, this time for walking into a Mount Dora bank while off duty, in plain clothes, with his “duty weapon in the open-carry position.”

Later he was disciplined for pursuing a driver accused of running a stop sign while he had a ride-along civilian in the car.

“You never get into a police pursuit with a civilian in the car with you,” police expert Chuck Drago said.

According to records, the next month Nye was disciplined for leaving his patrol car unlocked and running with weapons inside.

“That is an awful lot of counseling and discipline for an officer in his first year. That’s huge,” Drago said.

In September of that same year, Florida Highway Patrol troopers determined that Nye was speeding in his patrol car – going 90 mph in a 45-mph zone – just before he slammed into another vehicle. He was fired from the Tavares Police Department.

A short time later, he was hired by Altamonte Springs police and then later by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/desk-duty-kicking-handcuffed-man-face-cop-beat-innocent-teen/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2531 on: October 08, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »
NYPD captain who pulled gun on two children playing tag in the street and shouted 'mother f****** get on the ground' pleads guilty to improper use of force

Brian McCaughey confronted Kesean Smalls, 13, and Jahniel Hinds, 12
    They were playing on a Brooklyn street when he shouted at them
    The 39-year-old lieutenant told them to lay face down on the ground
    He handcuffed Smalls, but Hinds managed to hide behind his mother 
    McCaughey soon realized that he had stopped at the wrong address
    The lieutenant lost 30 days of paid vacation as a punishment 

A NYPD captain who pulled his gun on two children playing tag in the street has pleaded guilty to improper use of force.

Brian McCaughey shouted 'mother f******, get on the ground' when he took out his weapon and confronted Kesean Smalls, 13, and Jahniel Hinds, 12, in Brooklyn.

The lieutenant with Bedford-Stuyvesant’s 79th Precinct then ordered the terrified pair to lie face down on Quincy Street before family members came out and intervened.

Smalls was handcuffed while Hinds hid behind his mother Corina Sivers, 39, The New York Daily News reported.

They were freed after 37-year-old McCaughey realized he had gone to the wrong address.

He was responding to a call from a fellow officer a few blocks away and had stopped too early.

McCaughney admitted he was guilty of improper force, abuse of authority, and discourtesy during the September 2013 incident during a Civilian Complaint Review Board and lost 30 days of paid vacation.

Smalls, now 15, described the terrifying confrontation to The New York Post.

'I got on the ground. I didn’t resist or anything,' he said. 'I was nervous. I was just hoping that anything didn’t go bad.'

Hinds, now 14, said he is now afraid to play outside. He told The Post: 'I think [police] should be more careful what they do, instead of just jumping right out on kids playing in the street.'

Hinds’ mother, Corinia Sivers, was glad McCaughney admitted his guilt. But she insisted more cops there that day should have been punished.

The 39 year old now tells her son not to put his hood up when around cops and not to run.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3265694/NYPD-captain-pulled-gun-two-teenagers-playing-tag-street-shouted-mother-f-ground-pleads-guilty-improper-use-force.html

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2532 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
At leas the incident wasn't tragic (as in featuring a child's death) and he had the decency to plead guilty. I am almost ok with the punishment too even if I'd have pushed for something more meaningful. But that aside, I am forced to wonder: should a man with such poor judgement be out there, patrolling the streets in a position of authority?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2533 on: October 09, 2015, 12:25:10 AM »
At leas the incident wasn't tragic (as in featuring a child's death) and he had the decency to plead guilty. I am almost ok with the punishment too even if I'd have pushed for something more meaningful. But that aside, I am forced to wonder: should a man with such poor judgement be out there, patrolling the streets in a position of authority?

If a mcdonalds worker screamed that at a person (even without pointing a weapon at them), that McDickhead would be fired, 100% of the time.

Do it with a gun, while wearing a badge, and you get docked a little vacation pay, and you're free to pistol whip the minority of your choice the following day under the guise of police authority, all while enjoying praise everywhere you go for your daily heroics.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2534 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »
NYPD captain who pulled gun on two children playing tag in the street and shouted 'mother f****** get on the ground' pleads guilty to improper use of force

Brian McCaughey confronted Kesean Smalls, 13, and Jahniel Hinds, 12
    They were playing on a Brooklyn street when he shouted at them
    The 39-year-old lieutenant told them to lay face down on the ground
    He handcuffed Smalls, but Hinds managed to hide behind his mother 
    McCaughey soon realized that he had stopped at the wrong address
    The lieutenant lost 30 days of paid vacation as a punishment 

A NYPD captain who pulled his gun on two children playing tag in the street has pleaded guilty to improper use of force.

Brian McCaughey shouted 'mother f******, get on the ground' when he took out his weapon and confronted Kesean Smalls, 13, and Jahniel Hinds, 12, in Brooklyn.

The lieutenant with Bedford-Stuyvesant’s 79th Precinct then ordered the terrified pair to lie face down on Quincy Street before family members came out and intervened.

Smalls was handcuffed while Hinds hid behind his mother Corina Sivers, 39, The New York Daily News reported.

They were freed after 37-year-old McCaughey realized he had gone to the wrong address.

He was responding to a call from a fellow officer a few blocks away and had stopped too early.

McCaughney admitted he was guilty of improper force, abuse of authority, and discourtesy during the September 2013 incident during a Civilian Complaint Review Board and lost 30 days of paid vacation.

Smalls, now 15, described the terrifying confrontation to The New York Post.

'I got on the ground. I didn’t resist or anything,' he said. 'I was nervous. I was just hoping that anything didn’t go bad.'

Hinds, now 14, said he is now afraid to play outside. He told The Post: 'I think [police] should be more careful what they do, instead of just jumping right out on kids playing in the street.'

Hinds’ mother, Corinia Sivers, was glad McCaughney admitted his guilt. But she insisted more cops there that day should have been punished.

The 39 year old now tells her son not to put his hood up when around cops and not to run.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3265694/NYPD-captain-pulled-gun-two-teenagers-playing-tag-street-shouted-mother-f-ground-pleads-guilty-improper-use-force.html

Yet another shinning example of nypd.
Aggressive Bully with Gun.
Take his Gun , uniform & tin badge away.

Can only hope he gets all ' I'm the big bully while not in uniform & carrying a gun '
Chances are he is very Different Then.

Should of been sacked, as a minimum.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2535 on: October 09, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
Chief Defends “Good Cop” Who Pepper-Sprayed Man For No Reason as He Walked Down the Street

Seattle, WA — On January 19, Jesse Hagopian was pepper sprayed by police while leaving a peaceful Martin Luther King Jr. Day rally and march. The incident was not in dispute as everything that happened was caught on video.

Officers had set up a bicycle barricade to block the march, but some people walked through the blockade, Hagopian did not.

The video clearly shows Hagopian come walking along calmly, minding his own business and talking on his cell phone. At this point, you can hear the officer, in typical jackboot thug fashion shout, “Stand back! Stand back!”

Out of nowhere, Officer Sandra Delafuente let loose a hefty blast of pepper spray into the unexpecting man’s face.

“I felt the piercing pain shoot through my eye, my eardrum and my nostril, all over my cheek and face,” said Hagopian, according to Komo News. “I yelled out. My mom was in distress as she heard me yell.”

Hogopian has since filed a lawsuit. His attorney, James Bible, said Hagopian was pepper-sprayed “irrationally” with “No provocation and no reason,” characterizing the officer’s assault on innocent citizens as a challenge to free speech.

The Office of Professional Accountability recommended a suspension for Delafuente. However, in typical “thin blue line fashion,” Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole defended the officer’s actions and downgraded the suspension to “an oral reprimand.”

Delafuente sprayed an innocent man, on the way home to his kids, in the face with a chemical agent and she is getting off with a stern talking to.

Delafuente proved that she had no place in her role as a public servant. This proof was caught on video, and yet she’s hailed as “good officer” who was merely thrust into a difficult situation — in which she had to pepper spray innocent people.

Imagine any other job on the planet, outside of the government, in which you assaulted an innocent person and not only were you not arrested for it, but you were not fired. It is this double standard of violence with impunity that further drives a wedge between those with authority and everyone else.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/chief-defends-good-cop-pepper-sprayed-man-reason-walked-street/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2536 on: October 09, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Were You One of His Victims? Scamming Cop Busted Mailing Traffic Tickets to Innocent People

Houston, TX – A police officer was recently suspended after it was discovered that he was mailing speeding tickets to random people who were not even driving in the area at the time. Officer David Carter is now under investigation because a number of drivers disputed their tickets, and it was determined that it would have been impossible for them to be speeding in the area where they were accused.

Emanuel Morfin is one of the drivers who caught on to Carter’s scam, and he told KHOU that he was mailed a speeding ticket for a date that he was out of town.

“Actually I was down south in South Texas, so I’m like, well how am I speeding in Houston if I’m out of town? It was kind of ridiculous I was kind of shocked,” Morfin said.

Morfin wasn’t alone either, Carter regularly wrote tickets and assigned them to random vehicles, although it has not been determined how he picked his victims.

Larry Karson, Criminal Justice Professor at the University of Houston said that none of the tickets are valid if the actual driver of the car can’t be identified

“You have an officer who is abusing their discretionary authority. You have no idea who’s driving that car. You’re sending that ticket to a registered owner, who may or may not be behind the wheel,” Karson said.

Carter tried to explain some of the tickets by saying that he tailed people in his personal vehicle.

“He’s actually making the situation worse because what he’s doing is he’s becoming another vehicle flying down at 90 miles an hour and no one knows that he is a police officer. All they know it’s another crazy person on the highway,” Karson said.

Randy Zamora, criminal law division chief with city’s legal department said that all of the cases in question will be dismissed.

“I do not believe the citizens had any knowledge of the citations. Therefore, I did not think it was in the interest of justice to prosecute the cases and asked that all of the citations be dismissed,” he said.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/lazy-cop-busted-sending-speeding-tickets-mail-random-people/

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2537 on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
Chief Defends “Good Cop” Who Pepper-Sprayed Man For No Reason as He Walked Down the Street

Seattle, WA — On January 19, Jesse Hagopian was pepper sprayed by police while leaving a peaceful Martin Luther King Jr. Day rally and march. The incident was not in dispute as everything that happened was caught on video.

Officers had set up a bicycle barricade to block the march, but some people walked through the blockade, Hagopian did not.

The video clearly shows Hagopian come walking along calmly, minding his own business and talking on his cell phone. At this point, you can hear the officer, in typical jackboot thug fashion shout, “Stand back! Stand back!”

Out of nowhere, Officer Sandra Delafuente let loose a hefty blast of pepper spray into the unexpecting man’s face.

“I felt the piercing pain shoot through my eye, my eardrum and my nostril, all over my cheek and face,” said Hagopian, according to Komo News. “I yelled out. My mom was in distress as she heard me yell.”

Hogopian has since filed a lawsuit. His attorney, James Bible, said Hagopian was pepper-sprayed “irrationally” with “No provocation and no reason,” characterizing the officer’s assault on innocent citizens as a challenge to free speech.

The Office of Professional Accountability recommended a suspension for Delafuente. However, in typical “thin blue line fashion,” Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole defended the officer’s actions and downgraded the suspension to “an oral reprimand.”

Delafuente sprayed an innocent man, on the way home to his kids, in the face with a chemical agent and she is getting off with a stern talking to.

Delafuente proved that she had no place in her role as a public servant. This proof was caught on video, and yet she’s hailed as “good officer” who was merely thrust into a difficult situation — in which she had to pepper spray innocent people.

THIS.
Imagine any other job on the planet, outside of the government, in which you assaulted an innocent person and not only were you not arrested for it, but you were not fired. It is this double standard of violence with impunity that further drives a wedge between those with authority and everyone else.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/chief-defends-good-cop-pepper-sprayed-man-reason-walked-street/

Please some explain to me what is going on.
What I am missing about the immunity of crap cops
& them being Given Backing.

As stated if it was any other job.
Every one & cops would be jumping up & down
And screaming about it.

But there is No Bias For Cops..  ::)

Jezus Fcuking Wept.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2538 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »
 NYPD on Trial: NBA Player Thabo Sefolosha Fights Back After Police Beating

The police broke Thabo Sefolosha’s leg. His testimony, and the testimony of witnesses, could mean that they will not get away with it.
By Dave Zirin

UPDATE: This morning, Thabo Sefolosha cleared of all charges and found not guilty of misdemeanor obstructing government administration, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest this morning in New York. Read below to find out why this was an easy call for the jury to make. The next step will almost certainly be a civil lawsuit against the city.

NBA player Thabo Sefolosha had his leg broken by the New York Police Department, an undisputed fact that is still stunning to contemplate. This week, Thabo has been in criminal court as prosecutors attempt to imprison him for the crime of “resisting arrest.”

In actuality, he is being prosecuted for not going away quietly, choosing instead to fight back.

And fight back he has. We learned this week that the prosecution, in an effort to make this go away, offered a plea deal where Thabo would just have to do a day of community service and all would be forgiven. They did not want this going to trial. They did not want a civil case, much more dicey for Thabo if he had pleaded guilty. They did not want a light shined on events of last April in the wee hours of the morning.

They did not want this, but Thabo Sefolosha demanded it, even with the risk of a much harsher punishment.

We also learned that Thabo would take the stand to proclaim his innocence, a rarity in a criminal case. It marked the first time that Thabo had given, in full, his account of what took place outside a Manhattan nightclub called 1 Oak last April.

Thabo described a scene where he was walking away from a melee outside the club alongside (white) teammate Pero Antic and two women. He talked about being singled out and followed by a police officer named John Paul Giacona who said to him, “With or without a badge, I’m going to fuck you up and I can fuck you up.” He then said they attacked him when he extended his arm to give money to a homeless person who went by the name “True.”

“I said, I’m just going to give the guy some money,’” Sefolosha said. The officer “grabbed my arm. I dropped the money. He said, ‘That’s it, you’re going to jail.’ I turned and tried to put my right hand behind my back. I had a lot of money in my left hand and I tried to put it in my pocket.

“Two or three officers were pulling me. I said, ‘Relax.’ They never gave me a direct order. One is pulling on my right. One is pulling on my left and someone had a hand on my neck. After five seconds, I realized they wanted me on the ground. I felt my leg going up, with somebody kicking me on my right leg.”

The three people who were with Thabo, including Pero Antic, all testified to this version of events. They said Thabo was targeted and attacked.

The police counter-testimony was very simple. They said that Thabo Sefolosha gestured at them in a manner they found threatening and refused to “move along” from a crime scene. So they broke his leg.

The most damning testimony against their account was from two people from dramatically different walks of life. The first was the homeless man, True. Somehow, True was located, and he testified that the “threatening gesture” allegedly made toward police was in fact Thabo handing True a $20 bill.

The second person was his Atlanta Hawks coach, the reigning NBA Coach of the Year Mike Budenholzer. Coach Bud described Thabo’s character as being “of the highest order” and pledged that if Thabo was saying it, then his word was good. Every single person with whom I have spoken has said the same. If you were going to think of the last NBA player who would be involved in a situation like this, Thabo would top that list. This truth about his character did not, of course, protect him from the NYPD.

The State of New York v. Thabo Sefolosha bears startling similarities to another high-profile incident involving the NYPD and a top athlete: retired tennis star James Blake. This week, a city agency confirmed Blake’s account that two police officers used excessive force in taking him down to the pavement and erred in not identifying himself. The only difference between the Blake and Thabo situations is that we have video of Blake’s being approached and roughed up. Our only video of Thabo was taken by someone in his party after the police began to attack, with one officer seen swinging a nightstick.

As a jury now attempts to untangle whether Thabo Sefolosha is guilty of resisting arrest, the uncomfortable truth of this matter was said bluntly by Thabo’s lawyer, Alex Spiro. “I think [the NYPD] saw a black man in a hoodie. They grab him, they pounce on him, they pull him limb from limb, they smash him on the ground.”

As for the prosecution, they closed their case with this argument: “Imagine a world where we are allowed to say no to an officer…. that’s chaos.” (Sounds more like the missing line from a certain John Lennon song.)

This is a familiar story in New York City, but the difference this time was that Thabo Sefolosha had the financial means and political will to fight back. Even though this could have all gone away, he chose instead to seek justice. Clearly, the NYPD grabbed the wrong “black man in a hoodie.”   

http://www.thenation.com/article/nypd-on-trial-nba-player-thabo-sefolosha-fights-back-after-police-beating/

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2539 on: October 10, 2015, 08:09:23 PM »
Another crazy case. Thabo was found not guilty. Earlier the NYPD had claimed that they didn't break Thabo's leg suggesting, instead, that Thabo broke it during a game and had simply not gone to the hospital! And, quelle surprise, the DA won't bring charges against the officers. Pity, because the instigating officer especially deserves a conviction for this, if only to prevent him following the thin blue line straight to another department.

The civil lawsuit is inevitable. It's just a pity that the tax payers will shoulder the burden of another expensive settlement because a bunch of cops can't act professionally. I do hope that Thabo goes for the jugular, and sues the officers involved in their personal capacity, so that when they're found responsible, they'll have to spend a lifetime slaving away, as Thabo plays a few more years and goes on to enjoy a life of luxury while they have their paychecks garnished.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2540 on: October 10, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
wow

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2541 on: October 12, 2015, 08:19:16 AM »
Were You One of His Victims? Scamming Cop Busted Mailing Traffic Tickets to Innocent People

Houston, TX – A police officer was recently suspended after it was discovered that he was mailing speeding tickets to random people who were not even driving in the area at the time. Officer David Carter is now under investigation because a number of drivers disputed their tickets, and it was determined that it would have been impossible for them to be speeding in the area where they were accused.

Emanuel Morfin is one of the drivers who caught on to Carter’s scam, and he told KHOU that he was mailed a speeding ticket for a date that he was out of town.

“Actually I was down south in South Texas, so I’m like, well how am I speeding in Houston if I’m out of town? It was kind of ridiculous I was kind of shocked,” Morfin said.

Morfin wasn’t alone either, Carter regularly wrote tickets and assigned them to random vehicles, although it has not been determined how he picked his victims.

Larry Karson, Criminal Justice Professor at the University of Houston said that none of the tickets are valid if the actual driver of the car can’t be identified

“You have an officer who is abusing their discretionary authority. You have no idea who’s driving that car. You’re sending that ticket to a registered owner, who may or may not be behind the wheel,” Karson said.

Carter tried to explain some of the tickets by saying that he tailed people in his personal vehicle.

“He’s actually making the situation worse because what he’s doing is he’s becoming another vehicle flying down at 90 miles an hour and no one knows that he is a police officer. All they know it’s another crazy person on the highway,” Karson said.

Randy Zamora, criminal law division chief with city’s legal department said that all of the cases in question will be dismissed.

“I do not believe the citizens had any knowledge of the citations. Therefore, I did not think it was in the interest of justice to prosecute the cases and asked that all of the citations be dismissed,” he said.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/lazy-cop-busted-sending-speeding-tickets-mail-random-people/

WTH? Dude has mental issues.. his story is he tailed people in his personal vehicle? Which likely isn't calibrated AND likely violates policy of not enforcing misdemeanor violations when off duty. Guy needs to be fired, prosecuted for falsifying an official document and any other charge that fits..

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2542 on: October 13, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
Cops In Virginia Are Ticketing Cars For Expired Inspections While They Wait For Inspections

Vehicle inspections are necessary for ensuring that every car on the road is held to a similar standard of reliability and safety for everybody. But perhaps one traffic cop in Fairfax County, Virginia takes traffic enforcement a little too seriously.

Bruce Redwine, a mechanic shop owner of 21 years in Chantilly, Virginia, spoke to The Washington Post about the issue of one specific Fairfax County traffic enforcement officer writing tickets for expired registration on vehicles as they sat on his lot waiting for registration renewal.

According to the report, Fairfax County police parking enforcement Officer Jacquelyn Hogue would regularly approach Redwine’s repair shop and write tickets for vehicles out of compliance with the law - even if the vehicles had already entered the shop for inspection.

Officer Hogue cited a letter by the property owner giving law enforcement permission to access the property to ticket any vehicles on the lot - to her discretion. The letter’s language allows Hogue to write tickets for any violations of the traffic laws - though it was intended only for vehicles illegally parked to be ticketed and towed.

Frustrated with Hogue’s encroachment on his customer’s attempts at making their vehicles compliant through his shop, Redwine approached Hogue as she was writing a ticket and snatched it from her.

From the article:

Bruce Redwine had seen enough. After years of watching a Fairfax County parking enforcement officer slap tickets on his customers’ cars for expired tags or inspection stickers, usually as the cars were awaiting state inspection or repair at his Chantilly shop, he snatched the latest ticket out of Officer Jacquelyn D. Hogue’s hand and added some profane commentary on top.

Hogue responded by having Redwine arrested for felony assault on a police officer, though she is not a police officer. And when the case first went to court, a Fairfax judge sentenced Redwine to four days in jail.

Redwine appealed the case to a jury trial, and after a 20 minute deliberation, the jury acquitted him. He was still forced to be arrested, booked, had his fingerprints inked, and had his photo taken prior to the case being heard, tarnishing an arrest record that had been clean for 57 years.

Hogue wrote in her report that Redwine “squeezed my hand and twisted it” and that it later began to swell. An officer took pictures of Hogue and her hand. A number of officers and supervisors arrived on the scene, the reports show, but they elected not to charge Redwine with felony assault.

Instead, Hogue was advised to see a magistrate and obtain a misdemeanor charge. Four days later, she did.

Redwine offered to apologize to Hogue for his angry comments to her, in exchange for dismissing the charge, but Hogue declined. He said the officers who testified “thought it was ridiculous that it was being prosecuted so vigorously. . . . Is this the kind of investigation we pay police to do?”

Though Redwine was eventually acquitted, he filed for an internal affairs investigation into the trouble-making traffic cop, but has doubts that anything will come of it. Hogue has since been reassigned to a different part of the county.

Redwine had attempted to avoid confrontation by handling some of his customer’s tickets himself - he claims up to $2,200 worth in one month. His concern was that he would lose customers if they were being ticketed for him not inspecting their vehicles before the officer arrived to prevent that very thing.

This isn’t just one shop owner either. There are multiple reports of Hogue arriving to inspection and repair shops and ticketing any vehicle sitting on the lot or in the shop for non-compliant registration or other issues.

Brooke Wright, a Fairfax County police spokeswoman referencing the letter permitting traffic officers to write tickets on site, asked “Why aren’t they barking up their property manager’s tree?”

Because I’ve delivered my car for inspection specifically to avoid being ticketed, Brooke. That’s like walking into a bar and ticketing anybody with car keys for drunk driving, even if they’re on the phone with a taxi. It just shouldn’t be done.

This is targeting. Fairfax County is punishing its drivers as they work to resolve the issues they are being ticketed for, and shop owners are losing business and even being arrested for pointing out just how counter-productive and downright stupid it is to write tickets as the ticketed issue is being taken care of.

Redwine’s lawyer Dickson Young, in reference to Officer Hogue, put it best:

“There’s no law against using common sense,” Young said. He said the property management wouldn’t know or care about outdated tags or inspections.

Emphasis mine.

http://jalopnik.com/cops-in-virginia-are-ticketing-cars-for-expired-inspect-1736363538

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2543 on: October 14, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »
Former Louisiana police chief jailed for tasing inmates

A former Louisiana police chief was sentenced to prison and another former state police chief pleaded guilty to civil rights violations after an investigation into excessive force found they used stun guns to discipline non-combative jail inmates, the U.S. Justice Department said.

Gregory Dupuis, 57, who served as police chief in Mamou, Louisiana from 1994 to 1997 and from 2004 to 2014, was sentenced on Tuesday to one year and one day in prison, the Justice Department said in a press release.

The sentence was handed down by U.S. District Judge Richard T. Haik of the Western District of Louisiana amid a nationwide debate over excessive police force, particularly against minorities, after a series of police killings of unarmed black men elsewhere in the United States.

Robert McGee, 44, who resigned as Mamou police chief on Oct. 8, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to violating an individual's civil rights. He faces up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine at his sentencing, which has not yet been scheduled.

Both Dupuis and McGee admitted using stun guns to punish inmates at the Mamou jail who were being disruptive, "even if the inmates’ disruption was purely verbal, and on inmates who were calm and compliant when the officer deployed the TASER," according to the press release.

The tiny town of Mamou, with 3,500 residents, is about 85 miles (137 km) west of Baton Rouge.

In one instance in 2010, Dupuis was called to the jail because of a verbally disruptive detainee. After the inmate complied with his order to get down from his bunk and put his hands on the far wall, Dupuis deployed a stun gun to his back, causing him to collapse in pain, injuring his knee, the release said.

That same year, McGee and an inmate were having a conversation and, "although the inmate posed no threat to himself or the officers, McGee fire the TASER at the inmate," causing him to collapse in pain.

"Law enforcement officers have a duty to ensure that detainees are treated fairly and humanely when taken into custody," said U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley. "Mr. Dupuis and Mr. McGee breached that trust and violated their oaths by using excessive force on incarcerated individuals."

Reuters was not immediately able to identify lawyers for McGee and Dupuis.

(Reporting by Barbara Goldberg in New York; Editing by Michael Perry)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/14/us-usa-police-louisiana-idUSKCN0S805520151014

It seems like this cop was out of control, an older case:

Louisiana man arrested for criminal defamation of police chief can press wrongful arrest suit

Andrea Papagianis | Libel | Feature | March 23, 2012

A U.S. District Court judge ruled that a civil lawsuit can continue against a Louisiana police chief and four officers accused of violating a former officer's constitutional rights. The court declined to dismiss the civil rights case against the officers who arrested the police veteran for criticizing the chief in email messages to a local newspaper.
The officers relied on a criminal defamation statute that was declared unconstitutional "as applied in circumstances nearly identical" to those in the case more than four decades prior to the arrest, the court wrote.

Former police officer Bobby Simmons sued Greg Dupuis, chief of police in Mamou, La. – located about 180 miles northwest of New Orleans – and four officers for wrongful arrest and violating his First and Fourth Amendment rights. According to court documents, Simmons argued that he was unlawfully arrested and charged with criminal defamation for email he sent to the Ville Platte Gazette that questioned the newspaper for not reporting on Dupuis' alleged involvement in an officer's DUI arrest.

"There can be no doubt that the freedom to criticize public officials, including police officers, is unequivocally protected by our Constitution," U.S. District Judge Elizabeth Enry Foote wrote in the court's opinion. "It is likewise well-settled that the First Amendment prohibits government officials from taking action against individuals in retaliation for exercising this protected right."

In a series of email messages sent in May 2008, Simmons probed the Gazette for not running a story about Dupuis' alleged interference with a state police investigation, according to court documents.

One message stated, "who was the mamou police officer (female) that was arrested for DUI, what happened to the arrest of Greg Dupuis last night or early morning by LSP. Why was there no story on Greg locing the state police out of the room at Mamou PD because they would not release his officer [sic]."

According to the opinion, the newspaper did not publish a story on the allegations, but their questioning into the incident and swirling rumors throughout the community led Dupuis to subpoena the paper for its source of information. After receiving the email exchange between Simmons and a newspaper editor, Dupuis obtained an arrest warrant on a criminal defamation charge. Simmons was arrested and held at the Franklin Police Department then transferred to the Mamou Police Department and held overnight before he posted bond.

With help from the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, Simmons filed a civil rights lawsuit against Dupuis and the four arresting officers in April 2009. The police officers sought dismissal of the case due to a claim of qualified immunity, but Judge Foote denied this request.

Qualified immunity is a doctrine that shields government officials from being sued for damages in some situations. In Harlow v. Fitzgerald, the U.S. Supreme Court held that officials are protected from liability "insofar as their conduct does not violate clearly established statutory or constitutional rights which a reasonable person would have known."

A qualified immunity analysis involves two questions: first, whether the actions of the official violated the plaintiff's rights, and if so, whether that right was "clearly established" at the time of the violation, the court wrote. The second element is intended to protect officers who make reasonable mistakes.

The court did not believe that the officers made a reasonable mistake, writing that "these Defendants first relied on an unconstitutional statute, withheld relevant facts and evidence ... and misrepresented the nature of Plaintiff's communication with the Gazette."

The district court also examined Simmons' unlawful arrest claim, finding that Dupuis and Officer Todd Ortis withheld relevant information to obtain an arrest warrant. The officers relied on Louisiana's criminal defamation statute, which the U.S. Supreme Court largely ruled unconstitutional in the 1964 case Garrison v. State of Louisiana.

"A citizen was handcuffed, arrested and held overnight for sending a private email communication to a local newspaper which informed the paper of possible misconduct of a public official," Foote wrote in the opinion. "There can be no doubt that such communication constitutes protected speech in this country."

https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news/louisiana-man-arrested-criminal-defamation-police-chief-can-press-wr

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2544 on: October 17, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
Hidden Camera Gets Justice, Cop Sentenced to Prison for Beating & Terrorizing Innocent People

Honolulu, HI — A former police officer was sentenced to prison on Friday after a surveillance video caught him brutally beating two innocent men and hospitalizing one of them. The two officers who witnessed the assault have also been charged with trying to conceal the crime and lying to FBI investigators.

On September 5, 2014, officers Vincent Morre, Nelson Tamayori, and former reserve officer Joseph Becera arrived at a Honolulu game room to serve a warrant. In an unprovoked attack, Morre suddenly kicked Jordan Topinio in the head while the innocent man was sitting on a stool. After failing to locate their target, Morre is seen on surveillance video losing his temper and attacking patrons.

Sitting next to Topinio, Francisco Franson remains on his stool and not resisting when Morre begins punching him in the face and kicking him in the chest. After viciously beating Franson, Morre kicks Topinio in the face causing him to fall off his chair. As Morre walks away, he throws a metal stool that hits Topinio in the head, requiring stitches.

Before Morre exits the room, he shoves a woman near the door for no apparent reason while officers Tamayori and Becera make no attempt to stop him. Five days later, Morre filed a false police report omitting the fact that he had assaulted Topinio and Franson. Officers Tamayori and Becera went along with the cover-up while remaining completely unaware of the surveillance camera that captured them on video.

On May 19, Morre admitted to losing his temper and pleaded guilty to two counts of depriving the two men’s right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a law enforcement officer. Former officers Tamayori and Becera were charged with failing to report the assaults. On June 29, Becera pleaded guilty to attempting to conceal the crime and making a false statement to the FBI.

Although Morre was sentenced to 30 months in prison on Friday, no federal prosecutor would have believed Topinio and Franson without the footage from the game room’s security camera. Even if these innocent men won a civil lawsuit against the department, the taxpayers would be the ones paying for the actions of these corrupt and craven officers. With promises of time off for good behavior, does our justice system truly deter other cops from abusing their authority?

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-sentenced-prison-caught-video-beating-innocent-people/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2545 on: October 19, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
Hidden Camera Gets Justice, Cop Sentenced to Prison for Beating & Terrorizing Innocent People

Honolulu, HI — A former police officer was sentenced to prison on Friday after a surveillance video caught him brutally beating two innocent men and hospitalizing one of them. The two officers who witnessed the assault have also been charged with trying to conceal the crime and lying to FBI investigators.

On September 5, 2014, officers Vincent Morre, Nelson Tamayori, and former reserve officer Joseph Becera arrived at a Honolulu game room to serve a warrant. In an unprovoked attack, Morre suddenly kicked Jordan Topinio in the head while the innocent man was sitting on a stool. After failing to locate their target, Morre is seen on surveillance video losing his temper and attacking patrons.

Sitting next to Topinio, Francisco Franson remains on his stool and not resisting when Morre begins punching him in the face and kicking him in the chest. After viciously beating Franson, Morre kicks Topinio in the face causing him to fall off his chair. As Morre walks away, he throws a metal stool that hits Topinio in the head, requiring stitches.

Before Morre exits the room, he shoves a woman near the door for no apparent reason while officers Tamayori and Becera make no attempt to stop him. Five days later, Morre filed a false police report omitting the fact that he had assaulted Topinio and Franson. Officers Tamayori and Becera went along with the cover-up while remaining completely unaware of the surveillance camera that captured them on video.

On May 19, Morre admitted to losing his temper and pleaded guilty to two counts of depriving the two men’s right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a law enforcement officer. Former officers Tamayori and Becera were charged with failing to report the assaults. On June 29, Becera pleaded guilty to attempting to conceal the crime and making a false statement to the FBI.

Although Morre was sentenced to 30 months in prison on Friday, no federal prosecutor would have believed Topinio and Franson without the footage from the game room’s security camera. Even if these innocent men won a civil lawsuit against the department, the taxpayers would be the ones paying for the actions of these corrupt and craven officers. With promises of time off for good behavior, does our justice system truly deter other cops from abusing their authority?

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-sentenced-prison-caught-video-beating-innocent-people/

The officers who witnessed it and lied about it in their reports, and didn't intervene should get the same sentence as the main person. No different than laws on organized crime. If you are driving the getaway car you get the same sentence as the person inside the bank. The theory applies here as well. Disgusting behavior by criminals with a badge

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2546 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
The officers who witnessed it and lied about it in their reports, and didn't intervene should get the same sentence as the main person. No different than laws on organized crime. If you are driving the getaway car you get the same sentence as the person inside the bank. The theory applies here as well. Disgusting behavior by criminals with a badge

Good thing they didn't know there was a camera recording, they might have attempted to take it down, as it happened before.

What would happen if the innocent man tried to defend himself against this assault? It would give the cops the excuse they wanted to arrest him on all sorts of charges. And I don't think he'd only get 30 months in prison.

In what percentage of similar cases of abuse/assault do you estimate other officers would handcuff and arrest the abusive cop on the spot versus just telling him to "take it easy"? We often see in such cases other cops arriving and joining in the assault, hardly taking a moment to assess the situation, or they just sit and do nothing.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2547 on: October 19, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
Good thing they didn't know there was a camera recording, they might have attempted to take it down, as it happened before.

What would happen if the innocent man tried to defend himself against this assault? It would give the cops the excuse they wanted to arrest him on all sorts of charges. And I don't think he'd only get 30 months in prison.

In what percentage of similar cases of abuse/assault do you estimate other officers would handcuff and arrest the abusive cop on the spot versus just telling him to "take it easy"? We often see in such cases other cops arriving and joining in the assault, hardly taking a moment to assess the situation, or they just sit and do nothing.

Chuckle.  Yes, one of the great questions of our time.

But seriously, we all know the accepted practices.  We can see it.  It's how their business is done.  The police are more part of the PROBLEM than the solution.  If that weren't true, we wouldn't see these episides where ALL cops on the scene fall into a synchronized crime wave, without so much as a pause.  They fall right into it, like it's nothing.  It's second nature.  Corrupt as can be.  It has become the definition of a cop.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2548 on: October 21, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
NYPD cop stole a three-storey family house from a dying neighbor 'by forging papers saying it had been transferred to her'

• Blanche O'Neal, 45, accused of filling paperwork which said she bought the property from nephew of the deceased owner for $10,000 in 2012
  • Nephew and other relatives were unaware they had inherited the house
  • It sat empty for many years, at which point it is claimed O'Neal filed the necessary paperwork to gain ownership falsely of the house
  • Prosecutors allege O'Neal then tried to sell the building and the scheme was uncovered when a buyer contacted the building's rightful owners

A NYPD officer allegedly stole a three-storey family house by forging papers that said it had been transferred to her.

Blanche O'Neal, 45, is accused of filing documents in 2012 which said she bought the property from the nephew of the deceased owner, Lillian Hudson for $10,000. The deed was purportedly signed by him.

The nephew and three other relatives were unaware they had inherited the property following the death of Ms Hudson in 1993.

It sat empty for many years, at which point it is claimed O'Neal filed the necessary paperwork to gain ownership falsely of the house.

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson said in a statement: 'This defendant allegedly stole a house from its rightful owner with the stroke of a pen, apparently hoping no one would notice.

'But her brazen actions have unraveled and she will now be held accountable.

'That she is a veteran NYPD officer makes this alleged crime all the more disturbing.'

In a further twist, prosecutors allege O'Neal then tried to sell the building, at 23A Vernon Avenue, and the scheme was uncovered when a buyer contacted the building's rightful owners.

But it was in fact O'Neal who first contacted authorities about the alleged crime, Mr Thompson said.

'Officer O'Neal reported that someone was basically trying to commit deed fraud against her,' Thompson said.

O'Neal has been suspended from the New York Police Department without pay,  it has been reported.

She has pleaded not guilty to charges of possession of a forged instrument, grand larceny, filing a false instrument and perjury.

New York City Sheriff Joseph Fucito has issued a strongly worded statement warning against any one who tries to falsify legal documents within the police department. 

Mr Fucito said: The Sheriff's Office is actively investigating real property theft and related financial crimes throughout New York City.

'Those who think they can simply file false documentation with the NYC Department of Finance should take notice.

'The Sheriff will aggressively investigate and arrest any party involved in such criminal activity.'

Neal's lawyer, Edward King, told reporters outside the courtroom: 'Bottom line is, she is not guilty. And she's going to vigorously defend the case'.

She has been a cop for 12 years and was most recently assigned to the 83rd Precinct in nearby Bushwick. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3282983/NYPD-cop-stole-three-storey-family-house-dying-neighbor-forging-papers-said-transferred-her.html

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #2549 on: October 24, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
No charges for Volusia County deputy who shot, killed unarmed man

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. —

The state attorney announced Wednesday that a grand jury has decided that a Volusia County deputy who shot and killed an unarmed suspect will not face charges.

Derek Cruice’s loved ones have been protesting since Deputy Todd Raible shot and killed him.

“After two days of testimony and in deliberation, the grand jury declined to indict Deputy Raible on a manslaughter by culpable negligence charge,” said State Attorney R.J. Larizza.

Investigators said Raible shot Derek Cruice in the face while serving a search warrant for drugs in March. Cruice was not armed.

“I want justice for him because he did not deserve to die so young, and not in this manner. Not in this manner,” said Sheila Cruice.

She had been waiting for more than six months to find out if the deputy who killed her son will face criminal charges.

“Why did they use so much force? But it’s just hard. It’s a struggle,” said Sheila Cruice.

Officials said Raible perceived a threat as he entered the home on Maybrook Drive in Deltona and fired one time, shooting Derek Cruice in the face.

Derek Cruice’s friends in the home at the time said they want to know what that threat was, and argue he could not have had a weapon, since he was only wearing shorts with no shirt.

Later, investigators said items they found in the home included 217 grams of marijuana, scales, baggies and $3,000 in cash, but no weapons.

“There was no history or reason in my son’s background, ever, to go in there with such force,” said Sheila Cruice.

“It was an incident nobody wanted to happen. It’s an incident where, if you could turn back the clock, we would. My heart goes out to the family,” Larizza said.

Raible is still working for the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, but an internal investigation is still underway.

Sheila Cruice has hired Orlando attorney Mark Nejame who is working on a wrongful death suit against the department.

They could settle with the city or take it to a civil jury, which may see the case differently.

“Volusia County has a $5 million insurance police for negligence matters and yet they refuse to tap into it,” NeJame said.

Derek Cruice was arrested twice in the past on misdemeanor drug charges, but was never convicted.

Volusia County Sheriff Ben Johnson released a statement which read, in part, “Law enforcement officers have a tremendous responsibility as well as a dangerous job that sometimes requires them to make split-second, life-and-death decisions. That Derek Cruice was unarmed makes the outcome of this incident truly tragic. But it in no way alters the facts and circumstances that caused Investigator Raible and the other deputies in that fateful moment to perceive that their lives were in danger.”

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/state-attorney-announce-if-there-will-be-charges-a/nn7Kd/